C# MegaMan Engine

Tesserex · 69695

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 11:53:15 PM
Link is messed up a bit, but workable if you edit the url.

Not sure if this has been reported already, but things I noticed;

* You can release a charge shot while sliding.
* If bullets are present on the screen while the screen is transitioning, they will still be visible and will still be moving as if they are still in play.
* If hit by an enemy, after releasing a charge shot, and pressing down again on the button before the charge shot leaves the screen, you wont charge until you release and hold the button again.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02:13 AM
The first and last of those issues are in the player definition, not the engine. If you want, you could crack open player.xml and try fixing it yourself.

About the last one, do you mean you get hit before or after you press down the shoot key again? If before, it's a bug. If after, it's intended because your charging was interrupted by getting hit.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 05:04:25 AM
I shoot a shot, hold down the button, get hit, and then it doesn't charge after that until I release and hold the button again.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:38 PM
Sorry to take so long to reply. You were right, it was a bug according to the official games, so I fixed that.

I'm starting to look for people who want to use my engine to make a fangame. It's getting harder to figure out what features to add, and more importantly, how to design them so that they're easy to use and still flexible. I don't want to make it all up myself and find out that the way I designed it is impossible for anyone to use. So does anyone care to start a new fangame using my engine? It would really add a huge boost to my engine's visibility, as people seem to be much more interested in games than engines, judging by the relative number of views and replies to various threads on these forums.

PS: Objection Man - is that Inoue Orihime in your avatar?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 12:54:35 AM
I'd like to try it out, Tesserex. If you wouldn't mind, of course.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 01:38:38 AM
I certainly wouldn't mind, that's why I'm asking. Do you have an idea / tilesets / level ideas already? Or just coming from scratch? Our editor programs are still in progress. But the tileset editor is usable. If you want I would suggest downloading the newest release and reading some of the xml files, see if they make sense.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 01:40:29 AM
I'll have to think of something right now... But yeah, should be fun.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 04:13:30 AM
PS: Objection Man - is that Inoue Orihime in your avatar?

Yes it is.

Planning to release the editors and stuff eventually? Would be worth messing with if nothing else.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 04:31:33 AM
Ok I'll try to get a tileset editor released soon. The level editor needs a bit more work before it's really usable.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 05:20:15 PM
I have a new laptop and the engine runs excellent here  8)
I'd make a MM fan game with your engine but I'm working on my MMX engine, so maybe later.

I'm surprised the way you wrote the code. I want to code that way too :P

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:40 AM
Pretty interesting stuff for a XNA made C# engine. I'm running it on Mac OS X (with the help of Wine and CrossOver 7.0), and it played out just fine, however I was more curious about the coding behind this engine of yours. Like carlos-182, I was little surprised how it looked like on my script editor program. Appearently I'm working on something Mega Man-ish in Unity (partially experimenting with C#, too), so I was curious how you approached coding this piece together.

Anyway... The engine is looking pretty good there. Good luck with the further development. I may end up checking this from time to time whenever you release new versions.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 11:27:04 PM
What part of the code would you guys like to know about? The c# is all on github if you want to see it. Are you wondering about the XML config stuff? I would be happy to answer anything, it's all open source.

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 01:57:52 AM
Yeah, I have little to no expierence with XNA (and C# altogether, as I'm using Unity's JavaScript more than C#), since it's Windows-only. But yeah, if you don't mind, I would like to see the C# "as is" without trying to look at the clustered looking .XML-files with a script editor (which makes it look like it's somekind of HTML-code).

I could possibly port it over to Mac with Unity if it works out well enough, but I doubt that quite frankly.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 12:39:53 AM
Ok, well the C# is all available to view at http://github.com/Tesserex/C--MegaMan-Engine/tree/master/Mega%20Man/. The stuff that controls what the xml files do is in GameEntity.cs, and all the files that end in Component.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 03:12:13 AM
I see a lot of .cs files, it's too complicated for me.
But I have experience on other programmin languages and I want to start making games into XNA, where should I start??

Thanks and, I'm looking for more versions. 8)

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:30 AM
Learn programming in C# before learning game programing. I would suggest getting visual C# express.

Posted on: June 12, 2010, 02:54:40
The tileset editor is ready for release but I haven't put it online yet. The level editor is almost ready, i'm just finishing up the join editing tool. Then I just have to make sure it's actually usable (able to create new levels and play them) and then I'll put everything up for download. Writing a help doc will take a few extra days though.

Who plans on trying things out when they're released?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 01:21:59 AM
*raises her hand*

I do; should be grand. ^_^

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 05:20:35 AM
I'll definitely take a look out of curiosity if nothing else.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 06:10:31 PM
Me too, I'd like to work with this engine  8)

MexicanSunflower

Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 10:35:50 PM
I'd totally be up for making something with this 0v0

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 03:36:23 PM
Ok, I'll try to get the tileset editor up very soon. It's basically ready for use, just not perfectly friendly, and might have a few crashing bugs. The level editor is actually going to be a bit more work than I thought because although it can edit stages and create new ones, it can't create a new game project, or edit basic things like music or your starting position.

Posted on: June 26, 2010, 13:33:33
Ok, a bit later than I had hoped, but I have my tileset editor available for download now. It's not at my main site, it's at http://github.com/Tesserex/CME-Tileset-Editor/downloads. When I have time, I'll put in on my main site with a page of documentation, if the need arises.

Because it uses the common DLL, it will likely require you to have the XNA distro installed. If you've already used the engine successfully, then you have it. If not, make sure you get it from my site at http://liquidfyre.com/tesserex/downloads.php. It's the "Get it here" link at the top.

I tried to catch every last little bug that broke things or caused crashes, but there are probably a few more that I couldn't weed out. If you get it to crash, please tell me how you did it.

Of course, also let me know if it's too complicated or unfriendly to use, and I'll post a short tutorial.

Offline carlos-182

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 04:55:57 PM
You should post a little tutorial, because I don't know how to make a level, and I'm trying to load a .xml file from your project demo, and it says it can't be opened.
Thanks.

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 04, 2010, 05:53:20 PM
This is the tileset editor, not the level editor. If you want to open files in the demo project, look in /stages/(name)/tiles.xml or whatever similar. Levels and tilesets are all xml files, but they're different. Maybe I should change the file extensions to make it easier to distinguish.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 04, 2010, 06:08:56 PM
Does "blocking" under properties mean it acts as a floor/wall?

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Tesserex

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 04, 2010, 06:21:54 PM
Yes. How's everything else working out?