Fairy Tail

Jericho · 10557

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: March 16, 2010, 04:38:50 AM

So, I was wondering if anyone else was following this series and I felt like a thread would make for great advertising. It's an interesting and fairly enjoyable shonen, if a tad bit predictable or scatterbrained at times. This isn't too bad though if you are still amused by shonen tropes and don't mind looking out for the developing stories under the surface. The author, Hiro Mashima is responsible for Rave Master/Groove Adventure Rave (an awesome read) and he references/gives a shoutout to lots of things & concepts in Rave from time to time.

The series is fairly straight forward. It revolves around a world where magic is the norm. In this world, the folks who use magic, the mages, seek out guilds in order to use and refine their abilities as well as take on jobs for their lively hood. Naturally, as there are many different guilds with different intentions, this leads to the bulk of the storyline and interaction within the story. The character lineup is quite diverse and makes the most out of this premise. There is also an anime series out for this, but it might be a bit off putting due to the amount of "lol magic circles" and almost slideshow like fights & action sequences. Some of the fights are like watching extended summons in a videogame with no real contact made whatsoever. XD

Still it's not bad to burn though when you've got some time on your hands. It also has a magnificently bitchin' soundtrack.

Last thing I'd like to mention is that this series has copious amounts of fanservice. If you're the type that can't deal with it, I'll tell you from the start that you'll probably be irritated with the series since most of the funny comes from these moments. That all said, welcome to the thread! Discuss away!

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:43:56 AM
Other than saying that I like this series I have 3 comments:
-Gerard gets too much unnecessary hate. Seriously, with the "everyone is Gerard" fad I expected him to be much worse.
-Happy is awesome.
-Erza is hot.

That is all.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:47:07 AM
Funnily enough, I didn't think that Gerard was that bad at all. I think what made the fandom go all out on him was [spoiler]his return from the grave in the Nirvana arc. Mistgun being revealed and heavily hinted at being an Edoras version or native Gerard makes a lot of sense and really shouldn't have made the ripples it did.[/spoiler]

Also, I'm more of a Lluvia/Juvia fan. She's so funny. XD

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 04:49:54 AM
Yeah, she's great too. Now imagine if Edoras Lluvia (It has to be Ll for her name to make any sense) switched habits with Gray 8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 05:01:34 AM
Yeah, she's great too. Now imagine if Edoras Lluvia (It has to be Ll for her name to make any sense) switched habits with Gray 8D

I feel bad for saying this, but her in that librarian like standard outfit is more than enough for me. XD

God I'm so immature.

Besides, EdoLucy fits the stripper role quite fine. [spoiler]I'll still never understand how that "cameltoe in the face" introduction got into a kid's manga series without uproar. This is after all coming from the same guy who was afraid of doing a shower scene for the female lead in his first manga because parents would riot. My how time flies & standards change. 8D[/spoiler]

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 05:04:09 AM

Besides, EdoLucy fits the stripper role quite fine. [spoiler]I'll still never understand how that "cameltoe in the face" introduction got into a kid's manga series without uproar. This is after all coming from the same guy who was afraid of doing a shower scene for the female lead in his first manga because parents would riot. My how time flies & standards change. 8D[/spoiler]

Eh, it's Japan, remember they show uncensored nipples in shonen magazines all the time. Also, refresh my memory, what part are you talking about?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:07:54 AM
Here:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:57 AM
All I know is that when this anime is translated and brought over to the US, it will definitely be the biggest thing you will see people dressed up as at Comic Cons.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 05:27:09 AM
All I know is that when this anime is translated and brought over to the US, it will definitely be the biggest thing you will see people dressed up as at Comic Cons.

Yup, the fanbase it has already is [tornado fang]ing huge, which is crazy for a fairly recent series.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:18 AM
Well I enjoyed the anime from the 6-7 episodes of it I watched.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:02 PM
The artstyle screams One Peice a bit, same artist?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:42:34 PM
*Cough*
The author, Hiro Mashima is responsible for Rave Master/Groove Adventure Rave (an awesome read) and he references/gives a shoutout to lots of things & concepts in Rave from time to time.
The author of One Piece is called Eichiro Oda FYI

Anyways I like the manga, the anime is also done better than I thought it would be. The main charactor is half Dragon and half Luffy, instantly likeable :P  Also I can endure some fanservice from time to time  8D

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:53:29 PM
Yes, but it was more the lines of the "one peice" feel, watermarks and all. Groove Adventure Rave's manga as I only knew existed as an anime, since there was no BnN at the time in my area when I was younger during it's airtime on Toonami if I recall.  :P

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:38:16 PM
Yes, but it was more the lines of the "one peice" feel, watermarks and all.

Yea, It look like Eiichiro Oda at first, but then I started seeing Rave Master, and is that Ichigo from bleach!? I mean the face and hair look quite similar.

I'll have to look into this.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:02:33 AM
I have been reading the English translation, in volume form. Cause I can't stand reading manga online.
Also, ice make cannon is actually a movement ice creation and not Grey's specialty, yet he blew his rival away with it.
I was just thinking of that. Also Luvia is pretty funny too, too bad her heart keeps getting broken.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 03:51:02 AM
Wow, this thread died. XD

Read the latest chapter today. Edo Erza is confirmed for [sonic slicer] tier, Lucy got lucky big time after getting tossed out of the tower, and Charle's trope-smashing bluff was hilarious. I still don't like her though.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:57 AM
And now they are in deep [parasitic bomb]

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:12 PM
And now they are in deep [parasitic bomb]
Exactly. Any law that could help the three? Murphy definitly not!

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:25 PM
Mystogan will save them...I hope so

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 09:03:41 PM
I'd love to see more Mystogan personally, but I can only imagine the amount of e-rage that would get started up due to the "everyone is Gerard" hivemind getting tired of him. XD

Also, this arc need 1000 times more Lluvia. 8D

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 09:10:00 PM
There is no more Gerard than there is everyone else :P And yep, it really needs more Lluvia. The next anime ep has her fight with Gray. Speaking of the anime I like how they did the fight Elfman vs Sol...Sol became a bigger Ass than he was in the manga

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 09:14:23 PM
Since I refuse to read the manga online, I'm going to watch the anime, meanwhile reading the manga as well.
Cause the manga is usually better.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 09:15:10 PM
I liked that the anime team finally added more to the Lisanna subplot (although the scene was sad as all hell). I feel like Mashima has abandoned it sometimes when I read through the chapters. You'd think they'd elaborate with it sooner, especially given the fact that Edo Lisanna was one of the first characters we were introduced to in this current manga arc.

manga is usually better.

Truth.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 09:21:55 PM
I watched the newest episode I could find, the whole Elfman thing made me sad, since reading the manga I really didn't understand Elfman limiting himself to just his right arm when using his magic. Poor Lisanna.  ;O;

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 09:45:59 PM
New chapterĀ“s up and holy [parasitic bomb] we get a great duel, NatsuĀ“s got his powers back, Gazzile tearing up [parasitic bomb] and the king of Edoras is batshit insane
New episode is up aswell. Elfman is the man, beating the crap out of Sol who breathed out his spirit, which got caught but Elfman who put it back into Sol and then continued to beat the crap out of him...nice. Also hellz yeah for Lluvia vs Gray!
New opening and ending foreshadowing the Tower of Paradise arc.