Was RM&F the only internumerical sequel?

johnboy3434 · 9786

Offline johnboy3434

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:40 AM
I read about the name Rockman 8.5 being found in RM&F's code, and wondered if there were any other side games given the honor of being shoe-horned into the numerical sequence. I know there was .EXE 4.5 (which never got an American release), but were there any others? Come to think of it, was ZXA ever actually referred to as ZX2?

Offline Duke87

• Not an Interstate
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:18:11 AM
Well, officially, Cyber Mission (Xtreme) comes between X2 and X3, and Soul Eraser (Xtreme 2) comes between X3 and X4.
Neither was ever referred to as X2.5 or X3.5, though.
Same deal with Network Transmission. Firmly canonically takes place between the first and second games, but EXE1.5 it ain't.

....I honestly don't know what the deal was with Megaman and Bass being "Rock 8.5" as opposed to just calling it Rockman 9, or why it was released for the Super Famicom rather than the Saturn and/or Playstation (which probably is why it wasn't localized initially).
It is kinda sloppy, though. Now we have 11 main sequence games, but the latest one is called Megaman 10. Durr...

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:41:31 AM
It's not an official name.  That was just in the code - it was probably it's name in development until the developers settled on a real name for the game.  Many projects have those sort of things.  I wouldn't put any more emphasis on it than Capcom did.

Rockman.EXE 4.5 is the only game with a decimal in it's title.   

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:00:24 AM
And that was more of a way for them to figure out how to allow other playable Navis for EXE5, right?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 05:22:33 AM
it was released for the SNES, (RnF) because many children were not able to play 8 due to not having playstations. (funny how Inafune did not mention Saturn) SO, they decided to show they could still make a really good Rockman game on the SNES, and used 8's graphics

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:45:10 AM
If you count "Challenger from the Future" as RockMan & Forte 2, then you could say RockMan & Forte is its own mysterious interquel series, just like RockMan World and RockMan: The Power Whatever.  But RockMan & Forte 1 is unique for having its place in the timeline acknowledged--not just with the "8.5", but also with appearing as the ninth image in the ending of RockMan 9.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:48:55 AM
And then they tottaly forgot about it and didnĀ“t add a boss from RnF as a boss of W. Archive :P

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 05:09:29 PM
Most of the world series has it's place in the timeline acknowledged with MM10's special stages.  Although Capcom has always considered them part of the timeline.  It's mostly fans who think they're not.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:19:46 PM
Most of the world series has it's place in the timeline acknowledged with MM10's special stages. 

Like RnF's CD database and RnF being referenced in R9 didn't already do that.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 05:37:43 PM
Like RnF's CD database and RnF being referenced in R9 didn't already do that.
R&F is a side game, not a main game.  And R9 was already pointed out, if you hadn't noticed.

Offline johnboy3434

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 05:51:10 PM
I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't asking if any of the side games were part of the timeline. I think they all are (even the crappy PC games). What I meant was: were there any other side games that were given internumerical titles at any point in their production? Also, as a side question, was ZXA ever actually referred to as ZX2?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:53:25 PM
Unless the GB games are considered .5's, I think RnF may be the only one.

The Wonderswan games are their own line, it seems.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:59:12 PM
If the GB games were ever a ".5" I hadn't heard about it.  Although Megaman 1 GB was once known as "Megaman World".

And, although I'd definately include the PC and all other games in my own personal MM timeline, Capcom doesn't.  Just sayin'.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 06:05:23 PM
If the GB games were ever a ".5" I hadn't heard about it.  Although Megaman 1 GB was once known as "Megaman World".

And, although I'd definately include the PC and all other games in my own personal MM timeline, Capcom doesn't.  Just sayin'.

They are referred to as Rockman World, but then they turn around and use main timeline series RMs. Not to mention one's called "Revenge of Dr. Wily". They're probably not officially .5's, but darned if they don't act like it.

Heh, if I were Capcom, I wouldn't either.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:55 PM
They are referred to as Rockman World, but then they turn around and use main timeline series RMs. Not to mention one's called "Revenge of Dr. Wily". They're probably not officially .5's, but darned if they don't act like it.

Heh, if I were Capcom, I wouldn't either.
No, I mean there's an unused sprite of the word "world" in the title screen of Megaman 1 GB; that game was definately called "Megaman World" at some point in it's development.  Unless I'm just misreading your post.

I dunno, I kinda like the PC games and I'd include them.  Not because they're good.  No ... not because they're good. 

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 06:29:33 PM
R&F is a side game, not a main game.  And R9 was already pointed out, if you hadn't noticed.

Point being, if R10 validates just W1/3/4 by including the Rockman Killers, then R9 already validated the whole World series and MegaWorld through referencing RnF. It connects the dots from R9, to RnF to any game which is referenced in the CD database.

Also, as a side question, was ZXA ever actually referred to as ZX2?

Advent was originally produced as being effectively ZX2, but in the end named Advent because they felt it was a title that could be understood as a stand alone.

Each World game was developed simultaneously or directly prior to a new mainstream game. Hence its reliance on gameplay mechanics, characters and story elements of the mainstream title that precedes the one currently in development. W1 was developed near R3, but uses R2 mechanics, W2 was developed near R4, but uses R3 mechanics and so on. The only exception to this rule being W5's placement prior to R6, for story reasons.

Despite that, the story of the World games only acknowledges other World games; in W5, Wily was defeated four time prior. Which is certainly not true once you add in the mainstream titles.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:36:05 PM
Point being, if R10 validates just W1/3/4 by including the Rockman Killers, then R9 already validated the whole World series and MegaWorld through referencing RnF. It connects the dots from R9, to RnF to any game which is referenced in the CD database.

The conversation is about the main games (1-10) validating a side game, not side games validating each other.

R&F validates all the games in the database, obviously, but it's a side game.  Which is why I didn't bring it up.  It's besides the point.

But, yeah okay, the side game Rockman and Forte validates most all the other side games.  Obviously.  Although that has nothing to do with the main games validating a side game, so I'm not sure why you're correcting me on it.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 06:38:37 PM
But if a main game validates a side game, then any references within that side game are validated as well. Albeit indirectly. Meaning R9 indirectly validates Quint and the MegaWorld Corps.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 06:48:16 PM
The conversation is about the main games directly validating a side game.  

If we're talking about indirect validation, then there's a whole web that's created.  Hell, starting with MM7 and Rockboard.  But that's just not the conversation.  That hadn't been where this conversation was going, so I didn't bring it up.

Edit: And, besides, Bag of Magic Food brought up that RM9 directly connects to MM9 just one post above mine, so I didn't see the need to mention it again.  

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 07:32:35 PM
Yeah, uh, see, I didn't mean "acknowledged as happening", I meant "acknowledged as having happened in between two other particular games in the other numbered series".

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 08:25:33 PM
Well, okay.  Misunderstood your point in bringing R&F up.  Still not wrong in saying MM10 was a main game that directly acknowledged the RMW series as happening.  And I don't see the point in being snidely "corrected" on it.  Since it isn't something that needs correcting.  R&F's CD database could have easily been brought up without the pretext of "correcting" my point.

Offline CyberXIII

• Doctor Ivo Robotnik
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfic and Rant account
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 08:50:40 PM
Don't the RMW series count as internumerical anyway?  Capcom already said that they each came in between certain games.

What color is my heart, Snively...?

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=23112
Click here to find a site with loads of soundtracks available.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 08:52:39 PM
Yeah, but I think John was just refferring to the ".5" in the title "Rockman 8.5".

But you'd be right.  Hell, every side game that counts would be "internumerical".

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 08:58:57 PM
Why isn't the CD database considered "lol game mechanics" anyway

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 09:04:56 PM
Why isn't the CD database considered "lol game mechanics" anyway