Theory Time: Archie Megaman

The Great Gonzo · 13723

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 03:26:38 AM
I first heard of RS-MM through the Anniversary Collection manual, and thought it was primarily a sci-fi series a la Star Trek. (The cover for Vol. 1 threw me off)

As for Captain N Megaman...how can a robot be a chain smoker?

I'm thinking of doing a mockup in the near future. Whether or not I can finish it in the near future remains to be seen.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 03:34:45 AM
I'm reminded of the Rockman OVAs.  When I first saw them, I (and I expect many others) were like:" holy crap!  It's so official looking it's scary!  Why did they not bring this over!?"

HOWEVER, when they brought it over  it was... "Holy crap!  This is targed exclusively to 5-8 year olds.  And I'm over 16."  I suppose that's the problem with MM.  I like MM, but the PTB will never, ever make a game or product befitting an older fan.  They'll slap a new MM in a new series, but never throw some darkness intot he origional.
Honestly? I saw just the first OVA back when it hit Youtube, a good lot of time back then. I thought "Sure, this is kiddy, but there were things more offensive to my intelligence in RS-MM".

For research reasons (no kidding), I looked it up again and ended up finding just the 2nd episode. There, they "crossed the line", so to say. I couldn't really turn happy-go-lucky with it, and I guess I was just somewhat enamored with the whole flavor of the first episode back then. The weaboo subtitles didn't help matters either ("HAY GUISE LES NOT TRANSLATE 'HAKASE' TO 'DOCTOR' 'CUZ THATS SO MUCH KEWWLER!!! GANBATEEEEE". Die in a fire. kthx). So I didn't even bother with the third episode, don't think I ever will.

That said tho, the Archie TMNT comics were pretty good.  If they made a MM comic with that sort of level, I'm sure I could get into it.
An aunt of mine that lived in the US sent some of those my way. They had some wacky [parasitic bomb] (I remember this issue where the TMNT teamed up with a group of BIG FOOTS and this bearded fellow with a tight jumpsuit that resembled Chuck Norris), but it seemed pretty nice alright.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 03:05:32 AM
Whenever you read someone saying the RS crew didn't finish MM5 you've probably met someone who's opinion is derived from reading Mandi's MMHP.
Heh... I did some thinking about that.  Maybe it's not that the cartoon crew didn't finish MM5, but that they read something different into the stories of the games based on their first impressions.  I mean, 5 starts off with this story that clearly marks ProtoMan as an evildoer who leads a band of destructive robots.  And who's ProtoMan?  He's that jerk who shoots at you in 3!  And so what if he saved MegaMan from DarkMan, Dr. Cossack, and that boulder?  Maybe he's prideful, and HE wants to be the one to destroy MegaMan!  So you see, even if you knew that ProtoMan was framed by Dr. Wily's DarkMan robot, you still might not assume that he's not evil; maybe ProtoMan just doesn't like being framed.  And they did use DarkMan 2 rather than DarkMan 4 for the show.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 04:32:27 AM
Great points. Even Capcom of America constantly plays up the "WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON?!?!?!11?11" angle; I wasn't aware he was supposed to be a good guy until I checked the Internet for the first time and got "HE'S A GOOD GUY, [sonic slicer]!"

Mockup's done, though I can't say I'm entirely happy with it (what time period is this supposed to be from?). Anyone want to do better?

You know, Enker might have been a viable rival for Megaman, had Capcom used him more. As it is, he's just sort of...there.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 05:04:16 AM
Personally, I don't understand how anyone could not like Super Fighting Robot.  It's full of the cartoon cheesiness that we've grown up with all our lives.  That's why I love it so much.  It doesn't take itself too seriously.  It's a cartoon.  Not every cartoon can be of Batman: TAS quality.  But, for a cartoon about MegaMan, I thought it was fun.  And this is coming from a Blues fanboy who saw his favorite character Shield-less and Evil.  The fact that he's voiced by one of the greatest VA's ever helps though!   8D
dont forget the red briefs.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 05:57:10 AM
Oh, you're right!  Regular ProtoMan only has a red BELT!

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 07:58:08 AM
Although I may not have seen the Game Master myself, I did enjoy the MM cartoon and I wonder what Bass would look like if the made an appearance in the show?

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 08:02:48 AM
Although I may not have seen the Game Master myself, I did enjoy the MM cartoon and I wonder what Bass would look like if the made an appearance in the show?
Knowing Captain N?  Bass would probably be blue. 

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 02:13:21 AM
Someone who is not me needs to draw that.

I've been trying to piece together how an Archie-produced MM story would play out, based on the nature of their deviations from Sonic and TMNT. The most solidified idea at the moment is that of Wily turning eight willing humans into robots (or "cyborgs", if Archie didn't feel like using the R word), then basing later robots off of their (MMGB1) designs. This way, Archie could avoid the inevitable pothole of "Do Classic 'bots have free will?" by having the RMs start out as human. Not sure where this places the good guys, though.

...does it count as necroposting if it's 10 days old and you're the thread starter?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:41 AM
Rock would be Lights son. and Protoman the prototype cyborg or something? I mean, if that were how it went, then lol, cyborg 009. (technically 000, but you get my point...)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:32 AM
Rock would be Lights son. and Protoman the prototype cyborg or something? I mean, if that were how it went, then lol, cyborg 009. (technically 000, but you get my point...)

Since Roll's his sis, I bet she would get the same treatment as the Ruby Spears counterpart.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 12:27:34 AM
How off is the archie Sonic comic??  Many of their deviations could be because they've been around for so long.  From the Sonic AM stuff to right to the present. 

The TMNT comic was pretty true to the origional cartoon, so I don't think they'd make the robots cyborgs or anything.  Although they'd definately introduce a new villain.  Having Dr. Wily over and over again would just get boring.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 03:17:32 AM
they would most definetly introduce new villains.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:55 AM
How off is the archie Sonic comic??  Many of their deviations could be because they've been around for so long.  From the Sonic AM stuff to right to the present.

The very first issue--and I mean the first story presented in their 1993 "#0-3" run, before the main series--already deviated from the games by presenting Sonic as a rebel living underground (when Knothole was underground) accompanied by Sally, Rotor, Antoine, and Tails; Robotnik, now sporting a cape and a differently-shaped skull, is an evil dictator. Granted, the original games had no discernible story, but Sally and the rest never appeared in 'em, so...

The TMNT comic was pretty true to the origional cartoon, so I don't think they'd make the robots cyborgs or anything.

Though, they did go in their own direction after #5.

As for the new villain thing, they might play Dr. Cossack like that. Whether or not he turns good later would be up to them. And then there's the RMs themselves (am I the only one imagining psycho former human Cutman?)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 03:39:04 AM
I think it would probably run like a mix of Ruby spears Megaman, and a bit like the Sonic archie comics.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 03:42:31 AM
The very first issue--and I mean the first story presented in their 1993 "#0-3" run, before the main series--already deviated from the games by presenting Sonic as a rebel living underground (when Knothole was underground) accompanied by Sally, Rotor, Antoine, and Tails; Robotnik, now sporting a cape and a differently-shaped skull, is an evil dictator. Granted, the original games had no discernible story, but Sally and the rest never appeared in 'em, so...

Though, they did go in their own direction after #5.

As for the new villain thing, they might play Dr. Cossack like that. Whether or not he turns good later would be up to them. And then there's the RMs themselves (am I the only one imagining psycho former human Cutman?)

Well, that sounds like Sonic AM's theme.  http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvVsSXXJqI&feature=related
That (and, bizarrely, the theme following in the vid) were both TV shows at the time.  It makes sence that they'd follow it.

I know the TMNT comics strayed at issue 5, but is was more about issue 13, after Krang, Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady were finally defeated.  But it was still about four mutant turtles and a mutant rat, you know?  Although there was a mystic and ecology theme running strong in the books.  

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:41 AM
Well, that sounds like Sonic AM's theme.  http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvVsSXXJqI&feature=related
That (and, bizarrely, the theme following in the vid) were both TV shows at the time.  It makes sence that they'd follow it.
That's right.  From what I understand, the comic book was originally based on that TV cartoon, but it started while the TV series was still in development, so it used some earlier concepts like Knothole being literally underground and Rotor being called "Boomer".  You can see some resemblance to the earliest issues in the pilot episode, "Heads or Tails", which features pink Sally, white Swatbots, etc.  So the comic book series started to incorporate the additions to the TV shows later on, and when the cartoon ended, the comic book had to make up its own continuation of that story, along with loosely adapting the games' stories.

Am I the only one imagining psycho former human Cutman?

"CUTSMAN'S THE NAME.
CUTTING'S MY GAME.

AND I DON'T MEAN HAIR."