DC Animated Universe Thread

Rin · 58455

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2010, 01:52:45 AM
I remember watching the audio commentary during that scene and the producers jokingly said all those were robot cars xD

But I never claimed that no one died in the DCAU, I merely said that recent adaptations of comicbook superheroes suffered from being phased down to suit the requirements of the TV parent council or whatever that organisation's name is. I mean, did you see that CGI Iron Man series with all characters being teenagers? What the [tornado fang] is that?

Oh that comment wasn't directed at you.  It was a response to the discussion above.

Why is blood, murder and [twin slasher] OK in comicbooks that everyone can easily buy, but not on TV? Are they not the same target demographic?

Not really.  Comics are more directed at the older crowd, but cartoons are much more geared towards children.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 01:54:41 AM
Joker's death from the flashback sequence of Return of the Joker. This scene was only in the censored version of the film however. Getting shot by that trick pistol was apparently much more violent than getting electrocuted off-screen.

[youtube]pmb9rUgyNsY#t=9m11s[/youtube]
That godawful Brave and the Bold thing makes me want to throw up.
I want Bruce Timm to make a mature Batman again, but I'm guessing I'll only get that via Arkham Asylum 2.
Hahahaha, aw, man. You don't know what you're missing. Don't keep the "Batman is grimdark only" attitude. it's fun to have a colorful Batman who smiles, Silver Age style. Didn't you have fun with the Music Meister episode, which was an awesome musical? Or with the Metal Men's hijinx? Or with Aquaman's "OUTRAGEOUS!" attitude? Brave and the Bold is a FUN cartoon, not meant to be taken seriously, but for us to see Batman having incredible adventures through time and space against all-powerful enemies. It's AWESOME.

And if you still continue with the "THERE WAS NO BATMAN BEFORE FRANK MILLER" attitude, let me show you this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb9VSIT8lY8[/youtube]
...notice Timm and Dini as Joker and Harley. =P Dini's a Harley fanboy.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2010, 03:28:31 AM
Lol, am I the only one who thought the electrocution was far more unnerving than being shot? That Scream, and the fact you know he was killed is much more violent than simply being shot with a bang gun.

That, and much more excruciating. I mean come on, he was ELECTROCUTED. he sure as hell felt  alot more pain than the ALMOST instant death in the original, where he pretty much just gave a line and died.

Also, Your right. BTAS Joker was actually worse, because you knew Joker as kiled people, but it was creepy as well. those creepy grins... (Which Bruce Timm commented on in the BB dvd "The Joker In or series couldnt kill... So instead, he game people these creepy grins. Which in its own way, is almost worse! *chuckles* )

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 03:35:39 AM
Lol, am I the only one who thought the electrocution was far more unnerving than being shot? That Scream, and the fact you know he was killed is much more violent than simply being shot with a bang gun.

That, and much more excruciating. I mean come on, he was ELECTROCUTED. he sure as hell felt  alot more pain than the ALMOST instant death in the original, where he pretty much just gave a line and died.

The pain or gruesome death wasn't the point.  It was the point that Robin pulled the trigger.  He shot and killed a person.  It's similar to why Bruce gave up being Batman in the first place, because he was forced to pull a gun on someone to save his own life. 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 03:38:44 AM
The pain or gruesome death wasn't the point.  It was the point that Robin pulled the trigger.  He shot and killed a person.  It's similar to why Bruce gave up being Batman in the first place, because he was forced to pull a gun on someone to save his own life. 
Funny how times changed. Damian cut off a man's head and he gets to be Robin. =P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 03:42:26 AM
Funny how times changed. Damian cut off a man's head and he gets to be Robin. =P

Well Morrison's a great writer.  Plus, I think it's a nice change that he's trying to honor what his father stood for.  Of course, I could just be biased cause I really like Damian as a character.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 03:48:45 AM
Well Morrison's a great writer.  Plus, I think it's a nice change that he's trying to honor what his father stood for.  Of course, I could just be biased cause I really like Damian as a character.
You gotta see, Morrison intended to kill Damian. So yeah, he hated him at the beginning and made us all hate him. But then he grew to like the little bastard. A Robin with a personality besides "heroic wisecracking kid"? It would be a fantastic thing, huh? So he made it real. Damian's the one who'll follow the Batman legacy in the future, as well as the current Robin, who will probably be staying for quite awhile. Or at least as long as Dickbats stays, which I hope it's still some time, as I've grown to like him quite alot. Brings a new spirit into Batman, in a way, while still letting Bruce be a part of the big picture in his return series, which as far, has been a direct fact that Final Crisis still isn't over. And I love it.

As far as the Animated Universe is concerned, they're also bringing back Terry with a new Batman Beyond comic. Terry's a fantastic Batman, and Batman Beyond was brilliant, so I hope to see much more of him in the future. Beyond ended right where it should have ended (along with the whole DCAU universe, in a way) but I'd like to see the whole DCAU canon brought back. The Batman stories continued, maybe bringing Damian and other characters into the fray. It'd be awesome.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 03:58:08 AM
You gotta see, Morrison intended to kill Damian. So yeah, he hated him at the beginning and made us all hate him. But then he grew to like the little bastard. A Robin with a personality besides "heroic wisecracking kid"? It would be a fantastic thing, huh? So he made it real. Damian's the one who'll follow the Batman legacy in the future, as well as the current Robin, who will probably be staying for quite awhile. Or at least as long as Dickbats stays, which I hope it's still some time, as I've grown to like him quite alot. Brings a new spirit into Batman, in a way, while still letting Bruce be a part of the big picture in his return series, which as far, has been a direct fact that Final Crisis still isn't over. And I love it.

Well in an interview, Morrison said that Damian was his favorite character to write for currently.  I agree though, I like Dickbats as well. What I'm curious about is when this is all over what becomes of Tim.  Does he continue to work with Bruce, or do he and Dick work together while Bruce & Damian form there own B&R team.  Either way, I'm loving it right now. 

As far as the Animated Universe is concerned, they're also bringing back Terry with a new Batman Beyond comic. Terry's a fantastic Batman, and Batman Beyond was brilliant, so I hope to see much more of him in the future. Beyond ended right where it should have ended (along with the whole DCAU universe, in a way) but I'd like to see the whole DCAU canon brought back. The Batman stories continued, maybe bringing Damian and other characters into the fray. It'd be awesome.

Oh I'm a huge fan of the direction they took in Batman Beyond, from beginning to end.  I doubt though that they could bring Damian into a DCAU mix though, as if you go by what Barbara said in RotJ, Bruce never took on another sidekick after Tim Drake.  Still though, I'm going to check out that comic.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 04:25:28 AM
Well in an interview, Morrison said that Damian was his favorite character to write for currently.  I agree though, I like Dickbats as well. What I'm curious about is when this is all over what becomes of Tim.  Does he continue to work with Bruce, or do he and Dick work together while Bruce & Damian form there own B&R team.  Either way, I'm loving it right now. 

Oh I'm a huge fan of the direction they took in Batman Beyond, from beginning to end.  I doubt though that they could bring Damian into a DCAU mix though, as if you go by what Barbara said in RotJ, Bruce never took on another sidekick after Tim Drake.  Still though, I'm going to check out that comic.
Tim's slowly building a reputation for himself in Red Robin. Facing the entire League of Assassins plus Ra's himself, for one. I'm not fond of him ripping off Doctor Mid-Nite, though. Although it's been parodied already in the very series. And the way I see it, it should be like this. After Bruce comes back, he's sure to be reinvented, since Morrison's having him experience ALOT of things, as he said, to recreate what led him to become Batman, in a completely different way. One thing I haven't liked about Batman in the 2000s, before Morrison, is that he had become a constant scowl. He never smiled, never did anything because he liked it. Batman was "the [dark hold]" in the JLA, never doing anything as an actual superhero, like he did in the 90's. Him smiling whenever he tried to cheer up a kid, being inspired by the Gray Ghost, acting as a true human being instead of just a perfect-at-everything [Bumpity-Boom!] who's way too professional to consider any human kindness. I'm VERY hopeful, since Morrison loves to get things from the Golden Age and bring them back in cool ways. And I'm thinking Batman is going to smile again, or at least be happier. He already has a huge family who respects, admires, and loves him. I'd LOVE IT if he got the balls to do something status-quo changing, like proposing to Selina or something. The last few pages of Heart of Hush brought be to think he could really be happier that way. And I'd love to see Batman brought to a dynamic similar to how the Flashes and Green Lanterns handle. There could be two Batmen. Dick and Damian in Bludhaven, handling things their way and bring generally wacky. Bruce in Gotham, soloing for awhile, doing his usual gritty detective work and sometimes fighting dimensions, gods and demons, in true Morrison "Batgod style". All the while, being more open, more true to himself, enjoying what he does more, more often. I want him to return to his own time, walk up to Wayne manor in the rain and hug Alfred, soaked in tears. I want him to meet Jim Gordon out in the porch of his place, carrying a six-pack and talk about the good ol' days. I want him to high-five Clark and tell a joke. All that while saving the world one more time. Because he's Batman.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 04:37:32 AM
Superman - "I'd stay and help, but I'm due back in Metropolis."

Batman - "Another key to the city?"

It's dialog like this between Bruce and Clark why I love the writing of the DCAU so much. 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 04:44:02 AM
Superman - "I'd stay and help, but I'm due back in Metropolis."

Batman - "Another key to the city?"

It's dialog like this between Bruce and Clark why I love the writing of the DCAU so much. 
That, or that golden dialogue in the finale:

Bats: "Alright, we'll give you a 5 minute running start."
Supes: "5 minutes? You're getting old."
Bats: "Don't you have a building to jump over?"

Dini's a genius at writing cheered up Batman.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 04:46:08 AM
He's good at just writing dry wit Batman too!

*falling*

Batman - "I need air support.........because I can't fly.........at all........................Now would be a good time."

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 04:52:13 AM
It's similar to why Bruce gave up being Batman in the first place, because he was forced to pull a gun on someone to save his own life.  
Funny thing though about that- even though that WAS why, he still kept making Bat stuff, Like the exo suit, and the New Batmobile... but by then, his heart condition had gotten so much more advanced, ( and him even older, and probably out of shape,) that He couldn't USE the exo suit. I think the main reason that he was so bitter as an old man, was not only because of the Powers takeover, and the REASON he gave up the cowl- but because he COULDNT become batman again, even if he wanted to. His heart condition was pretty bad, just giving  few whacks to some jokerz excited his heart.

He's good at just writing dry wit Batman too!

*falling*

Batman - "I need air support.........because I can't fly.........at all........................Now would be a good time."
One of the best lines.

I swear, its amazing how Clark and Bruce interact. Its like Superman just cant HELP but act the way he does around Bats, given bats is, to quote Heath ledger- "why so serious?" DCAU batman crosses the edge of dark, into downright antisocial, so its like, "lol, lighten up"

Beyond ended right where it should have ended (along with the whole DCAU universe, in a way)
So true. Its really amazing how well they ended it. I mean... Its just perfect. Terry finally Inherited the Batman theme, and finally came to grips with his origins after learning them, and his father son relationship with Bruce solidified.

Fate truly is something eh? in the end, he still lost a parent, something which eventually brought him to Wayne's doorstep, and into "his world" However, unlike Wayne, who lost both parents very traumatically and grew up with that, Terry still had his mother. So while his father's death motivated him, and pushed him as batman, he wasnt as bitter and grim as Bruce had been. Although unlike Bruce, he was able to get revenge on his fathers killer. BOTH of them.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 04:56:58 AM
Funny thing though about that- even though that WAS why, he still kept making Bat stuff, Like the exo suit, and the New Batmobile... but by then, his heart condition had gotten so much more advanced, ( and him even older, and probably out of shape,) that He couldn't USE the exo suit. I think the main reason that he was so bitter as an old man, was not only because of the Powers takeover, and the REASON he gave up the cowl- but because he COULDNT become batman again, even if he wanted to. His heart condition was pretty bad, just giving  few whacks to some jokerz excited his heart.
One of the best lines.

I swear, its amazing how Clark and Bruce interact. Its like Superman just cant HELP but act the way he does around Bats, given bats is, to quote Heath ledger- "why so serious?" DCAU batman crosses the edge of dark, into downright antisocial, so its like, "lol, lighten up"
...and funny how, even after all that, Bruce still picked up the cowl a few time to knock some heads. Including Terry's.

And Bruce and Clark are best friends. Clark has quite alot of friends, from Diana to Jimmy Olsen, Perry White... But nobody he trusts with both his life and death. They may not hang out civily, and have a few arguments now and then. But I don't think there's anyone Clark trusts more in the world, in ANYTHING at all, than Bruce.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 04:59:21 AM

The Exo suit was made before he quit being Batman.  As for the Batmobile, we don't know when it was made, but since it interacts with the suit, it's possible it was also made before he stopped being Batman.  Like Terry said, Bruce wouldn't have let a simple heart condition stop him from being Batman, and he's right.

Also, it's the fact that he winds up a bitter, lonely old man why I love the show so much.  To me, it represents one of the truest outcomes of what would happen to Bruce Wayne.

And Bruce and Clark are best friends. Clark has quite alot of friends, from Diana to Jimmy Olsen, Perry White... But nobody he trusts with both his life and death. They may not hang out civily, and have a few arguments now and then. But I don't think there's anyone Clark trusts more in the world, in ANYTHING at all, than Bruce.

The speech that Bruce gives in the JL episode Hereafter is timeless.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 29, 2010, 05:08:02 AM
Really? I always liked the idea of Bruce eventually having second thoughts about quitting, and trying to get back in the game, only failing due to his heart.

but when you mention it- We were never told if he knew of his heart condition prior to his heart attack... So its possible he already knew.
...and funny how, even after all that, Bruce still picked up the cowl a few time to knock some heads. Including Terry's.

well of course, I never said he didn't. Bruce picking up the cowl was in the comics right? I know I saw an image of Terry fighting old bruce dressed as Batman.

Though in the series, he donned the Exo suit and kicked Inque around a bit.

this first clip has GOT to be my FAVORITE moment in the whole series, followed closely by Freezes return.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRATvE-gXo[/youtube]

Posted on: May 28, 2010, 10:05:00 PM
Also, it's the fact that he winds up a bitter, lonely old man why I love the show so much.  To me, it represents one of the truest outcomes of what would happen to Bruce Wayne.
Very true, Very true. Timm brought that up in the first DVD. how Bruce dedicated his life to stopping crime, and what did it bring him?

Gotham is STILL filled with Crime, and hes quote- "A bitter old man in a giant mausoleum with a dog as his only companion"

And Yet, Terry fires him up again, warming up Bruces  bitter heart. Batmand Beyond Bruce smiles far more often than he did when he was younger in the DCAU.

I think that Old old bruce in Epilogue- was probbaly based on- at least partly, on Old Bruces original concept, where he was even OLDER, bald, had scars, and a blind eye.

or maybe its just me. But they did make a minor flub in epilogue, replacing the original batsuit in the background with the beyond one, while the last capsule was I think empty.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 05:19:47 AM
Really? I always liked the idea of Bruce eventually having second thoughts about quitting, and trying to get back in the game, only failing due to his heart.

but when you mention it- We were never told if he knew of his heart condition prior to his heart attack... So its possible he already knew.

He definitely knew of his heart condition beforehand.  He mentions that the exosuit put too great a strain on his heart, which is why he designed the current Batsuit that Terry wears.

Again though, it's the symbolism of why he quits that's so brilliantly done.  In order to save his life and the life of the hostage, he had to point a gun at someone.  He could've just used a gun all his life, but he didn't because of what guns represent to him.  It's that shock that makes him quit, not just his heart.  Even Terry doesn't buy the heart condition excuse.

And Yet, Terry fires him up again, warming up Bruces heart. Batmand Beyond Bruce smiles far more often than he did when he was younger in the DCAU.

I don't know if that's true.  DCAU Bruce smiled quite a bit.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 05:23:27 AM
Although I do see a lot more "warmth" as it were- in old Bruce. Its sort of the Father son Relationship that they have. Terry is a sharp young kid. His personality and the way he interacts with bruce is brilliant.

I dunno, but I definitely notice a difference, very slight, in his personality. It could be the fact that he grew so bitter and now that he can basically fight again, (through Terry,) he is coming out of his shell, hell, he even took back his corporation in Return of the Joker, after Paxton went to jail in- "kings ransom", was it?

Offline Turian

• RPM Soldier
  • IT Specialist
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 05:28:38 AM
My favorite animated movie of all time was and is Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker Unedited. It's rare and awesome. There is so much content that was edited out, and I didn't wanna miss any of it.

My favorite line has gotta be:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYaBdNsZFY#t=1m44s[/youtube]

Since I can't get deep linking to work, fast forward to 1:44.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: May 29, 2010, 05:31:28 AM
Although I do see a lot more "warmth" as it were- in old Bruce. Its sort of the Father son Relationship that they have. Terry is a sharp young kid. His personality and the way he interacts with bruce is brilliant.

I dunno, but I definitely notice a difference, very slight, in his personality. It could be the fact that he grew so bitter and now that he can basically fight again, (through Terry,) he is coming out of his shell, hell, he even took back his corporation in Return of the Joker, after Paxton went to jail in- "kings ransom", was it?

I just meant the smiling more aspect.  But Terry definitely bring a spark back into Bruce's life, no doubt about it.

My favorite animated movie of all time was and is Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker Unedited. It's rare and awesome. There is so much content that was edited out, and I didn't wanna miss any of it.

My favorite line has gotta be:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYaBdNsZFY#t=1m44s[/youtube]

Since I can't get deep linking to work, fast forward to 1:44.

Haha, with all the great quotes in that movie, you did pick a good one.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 05:33:06 AM

There's quite a bit of character evolution, and what was basically a happy ending for Bruce. He got a SON who made him proud. That's more than Batman could ever hope for, in a dark future like that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 29, 2010, 05:36:09 AM
There's quite a bit of character evolution, and what was basically a happy ending for Bruce. He got a SON who made him proud. That's more than Batman could ever hope for, in a dark future like that.

The beauty of it is that we don't know if Bruce knows if Terry is his son or not.  According to the episode he doesn't know, but again Bruce was "always 2 steps ahead of everyone" as Waller says.  He could know.  The great thing is that it doesn't really matter.  He knows that Terry will continue the good fight as long as he lives.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 29, 2010, 05:37:44 AM
The beauty of it is that we don't know if Bruce knows if Terry is his son or not.  According to the episode he doesn't know, but again Bruce was "always 2 steps ahead of everyone" as Waller says.  He could know.  The great thing is that it doesn't really matter.  He knows that Terry will continue the good fight as long as he lives.
Of course Bruce knew. He's Batman. The point of it is that he always knows what's implied, and it was VERY implied. Bruce treats Terry more like a son than he had ever treated Dick or Tim.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: May 29, 2010, 05:40:54 AM
I just meant the smiling more aspect.  But Terry definitely bring a spark back into Bruce's life, no doubt about it.
The fact that Bruce is coming out of his antisocial reclusive life to aid Terry, definitely makes it much more noticable when he smiles and stff. its like, "hes feelin' it again"

Haha, with all the great quotes in that movie, you did pick a good one.
I was gonna pick a joker one... But then I realized that would be impossible, since ALL his lines were good.
but my favorite moment is there, at 8:18.

Posted on: May 28, 2010, 10:39:42 PM
Also, in Epilogue, didnt he confirm that he had already known for a while?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 29, 2010, 05:43:02 AM
Of course Bruce knew. He's Batman. The point of it is that he always knows what's implied, and it was VERY implied. Bruce treats Terry more like a son than he had ever treated Dick or Tim.

I think he knew too, but it's never shown that he knows.  That's what I meant.  And I don't know that Bruce treats Terry more like a son than Dick or Tim.  We never know what happened to Dick.