DC Animated Universe Thread

Rin · 58437

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: June 06, 2010, 08:42:36 PM
Well if they're going with the whole "Humans shouldn't be GL's" storyline, then I could see it.  But I'm sure there will be more taglines as more posters are revealed.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: June 06, 2010, 08:49:22 PM
Well if they're going with the whole "Humans shouldn't be GL's" storyline, then I could see it.  But I'm sure there will be more taglines as more posters are revealed.
Heheheheh, humans shouldn't be GLs. Kinda ironic how that turned out in the comics. =P And yet, every single one of them is essencial, in my opinion.

...well, except for John, who hasn't seen alot of great moments lately outside of JLU and his Xanshi confrontation in Blackest Night. But hopefully, now that Guy's off the GLC book, we'll be able to see more John. And his character can evolve a bit. He's a bit boring now.

Anyway, to steer this topic into the AU again, you think the new announced GL cartoon will be CG, like it was rumored? I kinda think CG cartoons reeeeeeally shouldn't be made. Always up being either stylized in a weird way, or looking like a 1997 Final Fantasy FMV. It all depends on how the story will go, of course, but heck, who can't say they'd like a more detailed Beast Wars or Reboot?

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:12 AM
I really REALLY don't think DC is stupid enough to OMD Superman & Lois.  Also, can't argue that it's not the best Supes tale ever told, cause I think it is.  I would love to see DC make an animated movie based on it, like they did DC New Frontier.

I thought this would be worth mentioning. DC nearly did OMD Superman-- about eight years before "One More Day" hit the stands in fact and you wouldn't guess who was responsible for pitching it. Mark Waid, Mark Millar, Tom Peyer, and GRANT [tornado fang]ing MORRISON!

Don't believe me? Take a look at the pitch they sent in 1999. Granted, what they proposed was far more respectful to the characters than what Joey Q did... "It's magic, we don't have to explain it!" my left foot.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: June 10, 2010, 01:48:42 AM
I thought this would be worth mentioning. DC nearly did OMD Superman-- about eight years before "One More Day" hit the stands in fact and you wouldn't guess who was responsible for pitching it. Mark Waid, Mark Millar, Tom Peyer, and GRANT [tornado fang]ing MORRISON!

Don't believe me? Take a look at the pitch they sent in 1999. Granted, what they proposed was far more respectful to the characters than what Joey Q did... "It's magic, we don't have to explain it!" my left foot.
I know. I saw it. And honestly? TRULY honestly? I never criticize a story by concept. If people had told m the concepts of every single one of Morrison's stories, I would have thought he was just some crazy guy. Batman having a son, then dying by the light time-phasing beams of a dark god? Bullshit. But he made it work. He made it work seriously well.

During the 90's, Superman went through alot of crappy stories. He was a character in need of an overhaul. And if they had scrapped Supes and started anew, I wouldn't have minded much, as long as they still made him a good hero. Morrison's writing has never dissapointed me, and while he's still sane, I'm sure it won't for a long time. Millar is another case, however. Waid has been both good and bad, mostly really good. If Superman had gone through a reboot, they would have just rebooted him like they did with Hal Jordan and his "new-ish" origin. One More Day was basically JUST about the retcon. It was a book meant to do the retcon, and nothing, nothing else. If it had provided actual context to why that decision had been good, I would have liked it. But this? It's like making Infinite Crisis two pages long, with a big splash page that's just Superboy Prime killing Kal-L. Regrettable decision, but it was done for the sake of the story rather than for the sake of... appealing to Quesada.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: June 10, 2010, 04:09:20 AM
Well I'm not saying the concept was bad by any stretch. Heck, it's synthesized the elements of the Silver Age that I liked with the Modern Age but that's what DC's doing with Superman now, so better late than never in that respect. Imagine a few of these Morrison-esque elements made it to All-Star Superman.

Then Waid had Birthright, and Millar Red Son. What's actually kind of funny that this proposal was written shortly before Millar hit it big with the Authority, which ultimately lead to his break with DC.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: June 10, 2010, 04:25:32 AM
Well I'm not saying the concept was bad by any stretch. Heck, it's synthesized the elements of the Silver Age that I liked with the Modern Age but that's what DC's doing with Superman now, so better late than never in that respect. Imagine a few of these Morrison-esque elements made it to All-Star Superman.

Then Waid had Birthright, and Millar Red Son. What's actually kind of funny that this proposal was written shortly before Millar hit it big with the Authority, which ultimately lead to his break with DC.
We shouldn't be sad, then. Those three Supes stories, along with "Up, Up and Away!!" are my favorite Superman stories of all time. They really hit it big.

...also, sorry for spoilers, but DCAU-relevant. Batman #700 makes Beyond comic canon. Terry is officially the fourth Batman, only this time trained by Damian instead of Bruce. Tim still looks like he's the future Joker.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: June 10, 2010, 06:05:01 AM
...also, sorry for spoilers, but DCAU-relevant. Batman #700 makes Beyond comic canon. Terry is officially the fourth Batman, only this time trained by Damian instead of Bruce. Tim still looks like he's the future Joker.

Kinda hard to tell though, mainly just cause Beyond was really just a page or two.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: June 10, 2010, 07:41:52 AM
Hey, this is kinda DCAU related, since it's about a DC cartoon.
Did the special event of Brave & the Bold, the one with Starro conquering earth, aired yet?
Just curious.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: June 10, 2010, 01:29:52 PM
Hey, this is kinda DCAU related, since it's about a DC cartoon.
Did the special event of Brave & the Bold, the one with Starro conquering earth, aired yet?
Just curious.
Not yet, as far as I know.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: June 10, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
I see, thanks.

Also, to have some sort of discussion...

What version of Batman is your favorite? DCAU version, B&TB version, comic version or any other?
Mine will always be DCAU version. It was after all, the first one I've ever known(tough I'm not sure, if I didn't see the Burton's movie first).
What I like about him, is the fact that he's just different than all his other incarantions, and in my opinion, he is a perfect example of how Batman should be.
He should be a colossal dick, "no fun allowed" kinda guy, overly serious and [tornado fang]ing brutal when needed be.

Also, there's that thing about his sad life, and its future, that makes me pity him.

Well? Which one is your favorite?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: June 10, 2010, 04:47:25 PM
I see, thanks.

Also, to have some sort of discussion...

What version of Batman is your favorite? DCAU version, B&TB version, comic version or any other?
Mine will always be DCAU version. It was after all, the first one I've ever known(tough I'm not sure, if I didn't see the Burton's movie first).
What I like about him, is the fact that he's just different than all his other incarantions, and in my opinion, he is a perfect example of how Batman should be.
He should be a colossal dick, "no fun allowed" kinda guy, overly serious and [tornado fang]ing brutal when needed be.

Also, there's that thing about his sad life, and its future, that makes me pity him.

Well? Which one is your favorite?

My favorite? Well, that's a toughie.

Batman is one of the most distinguished entities in comic books of all time. Maybe THE most distinguished. He's been through good and bad stories, stood through the test of time, and will always be remembered as the hero without superpowers when everyone else has them. But as far as Batman goes, there have been quite alot of personalities he has incarnated. It's fitting that this question is made right after #700, which was basically a big tribute to all of the hero's personalities, has come out.

Batman started out as a detective who dressed like a bat, wasn't ashamed of using a gun, and killed enemies as he pleased, for the sake of whatever. He was a pulp character, designed for pure entertainment. Back when all kinds of people read comics at their absolute leisure. I find it funny when (like this image) there are tributes to this old character, the one whose cowl actually looked like a bat's, instead of a ninja mask with two spikes on top.

Of course, kids love edgy stuff. But Batman wasn't a very kiddy character. So they decided to make him more kid-friendly. Made him a bit more charming, added a very colorful sidekick, who he called "pal" and "chum", and they both basically behaved like two kids in a treehouse club. Most of all, they were shown in a way they they had FUN.

The guy who turned Batman into the dark, brooding detective we know nowadays, was none other than Frank Miller. First, with the thought-provoking out of continuity story that gave origin to the new Batman, "The Dark Knight Returns". It's considered by many to be the best Batman story of all time, and it was so successful, that Frank Miller ended up writing the new, after-Crisis continuity origin for Batman, in Batman: Year One. It was a new era for the caped crusader.

The animated series did a terriific job with the balance between the comic's realistic violence and the children's programming television has to abide by. Paul Dini helped shape the character into a terrific one, helping the DCAU gain heavy popularity and to be considered by the TV-watchers-non-comic-readers to be the "true canon". It crossed over several times into the actual comic universe, but still retained its individuality. I see it as yet another great incarnation of the character.

...one thing I did love about the Batman in the Animated Series, and hated about the one in the Justice League/JLU, is that while he was a dark knight of justice who frowned at villains, he smiled at children. In JL, as great as the show was, they pretty much made him into the "[dark hold]" of the group. The Raphael. The outside rebel. I still maintain that out of sight, he and Superman had a few beers and traded jokes all the time.

One thing I love about good Batman writers, be they Miller, Morrison, Loeb or Dini (attention, this is pre-crazy Miller and Loeb) is that they respect every single incarnation of the character, never deeming one or the other "too kiddy" or "too dark". They love BATMAN as a whole. And that's how he should be considered. As a single character with the most varied of incarnations, more varied than James Bond or Doctor Who, Batman represents the hero. He represents, not the underdog, but the guy who makes his own path in life. The self-made man. The man who battles small things like street crime in one day, and battles dark gods for the fate of the multiverse in the next. Because that's what Batman is. He's not simply an individual. He's an entity. A legacy.

Superman is the everyman.

Green Lantern is the soldier.

Wonder Woman is the warrior.

Flash is the family man.

Who is Batman?

He's Batman. Today...

Batman is there. Always.

He's Batman.

As for your question?

...I like the Batman who can both frown and smile.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:42 PM
Hmm.
Well, I liked Batman in JL/JLU, since I love it when he's a dick.
Besides, he did hold Ace's hand when she was dying.

Interesting tough, certain e-friend of mine, who is part of a polish Batman fansite, said that in JLU Batman smiles too much.
Heh.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: June 10, 2010, 05:41:56 PM
There was this comic, where police officers were telling stories about Batman, that happened in the same night.

One of them had him taking out a drug ring and being SCARY AS HELL towards the criminals.

The other, had him search for a couple of missing orphans, who he hugged while shedding a tear when he finally found them, and told them he'd help them find their family, no matter what. And they they'd never need to be apart.

The storytellers call each other a liar because they can't believe one man can have such distinct personalities. The moral of the story, is that he does. Batman simply does everything he can.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: June 10, 2010, 08:48:58 PM
It's why I love Waller's speech about Bruce in Epilogue.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:36 AM
It's why I love Waller's speech about Bruce in Epilogue.
Speaking of that, what would that make Terry to Bruce in the new comic canon? If Damian is training him, that is. His grandson?

Although of course we're not even sure if this is fully canon. I mean, the friggin' Mutant gang made an appearance, it's pretty much a celebration of everything that makes Batman good, I think.

The only loose end is the scientist dude, who's now loose in time, with 15 years to spare to make himself a worthy villain. If he makes future appearances, means Damian training Terry is canon.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: June 11, 2010, 04:15:15 AM
But was that Damian training Terry, or did Bruce come back to life.  We technically don't know yet.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: June 11, 2010, 05:02:45 AM
But was that Damian training Terry, or did Bruce come back to life.  We technically don't know yet.
Since Terrybats comes after Brucebats, Dickbats and Damibats, and Brucebats seems to be dead when Damibats is about, as well as the guy watching Terry seems to be Damian, I'd guess Damibats is the one training him.

Then again, I'd wager the whole story's a big mess for the sake of being a tribute.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: June 11, 2010, 05:12:23 AM
I'm banking on the mess.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: June 11, 2010, 06:02:44 AM
I'm banking on the mess.
It's one hell of a mess. The Mad Hatter's not the real one, but an impersonator who took his place for awhile and was quickly forgotten, while the Joker's moodswings actually mirror his mood changes in the comic itself. It symbolizes the grimdark period he went through. The whoooooooole thing is symbolical in so many ways. I think the only thing I still haven't figured out, is who or what the couple Dickbats and Robian defend from the Mutant gang represent.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:54 AM

Can't wait for this.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: June 17, 2010, 01:44:23 PM

Can't wait for this.
Whoa. That looks friggin' AWESOME.

...and he can fly! Take that, Smallville Clark!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:49 PM
I can't wait for the suit to awesome give him the lethal force options.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:40 PM
I can't wait for the suit to awesome give him the lethal force options.
Him talking to the suit telling it not to kill people will be funny to see. =P

Offline Saber

• King of Knights
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「Archetype Hero」
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: June 17, 2010, 08:41:33 PM

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: June 17, 2010, 08:43:06 PM
What is this?

Live action Blue Beetle show based on the newest Blue Beetle in DC.  The comic was [tornado fang]ing awesome, and I was so sad when it was canceled. I'm hoping this show bring the comic back.