• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
on: November 18, 2008, 05:08:23 AM
self explanitory. i'll start it off.

10 - FLCL
Daicon V
- A lot was jammed into just 6 episodes. But after seeing it a few times, it just leaves me wanting more. Still, though, what it does have is fantastic. Gainax zaniness, The Pillows, and Haruko. I can't complain too much.

9 - Princess Resurrection
Because I'm merciful.
I guess this show falls under the horror genre, even though only a few moments were actually scary. There's a lot of creatures around you'd normally see around Halloween and Castlevania. And it seems like they all want to kill Hime, a princess who can revive the dead. Action in this show is pretty entertaining, considering Hime usually uses a different weapon each episode, ranging from a flail to a chainsaw. All the main characters are great. It has its funny moments and one or two eye candy shots. Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more of the harem genre here.

8 - Maburaho
It's in his genes
- I know that this show does little to seperate itself from other harems. But maybe that's why I like it; it's simple. It was also my first harem anime. It's downright hilarious, and throws in quite a bit of fanservice. The anime actually has a real perk over the manga; whereas Kazuki has amnesia in the manga, Kazuki is just not told of his heritage in the anime. An infinitely better setup. But the ending is still mindfuck.

7 - Outlaw Star
Every boy has the right to dream...
- Outlaw Star is another simple show. It doesn't have much that really stands out compared to other shows. But still, what it does do is done well. Good storytelling, good action, a good amount of humor, and great characters. Melfina was my first anime crush.

6 - Death Note
I'll take a potato chip. AND EAT IT!
- Never has there been more of an original concept than Death Note. And luckily its execution didn't suffer much at all. Sure, L is infinitely better than Mello and Near combined, and Light fell apart at the end, but there's still so much going for this show. Still, that's no excuse to try making your own Death Notes at home. Stupid kids.

5 - Black Lagoon
You made a mess, For Christ sakes this rotten world
[tornado fang] Noir. [tornado fang] Madlax. This is how Girls with Guns is supposed to be. Revy ain't no daffodil who can prance around and shoot a gun. No, she's a [tornado fang]ing badass who kills with little discretion and spits hot fire, while also throwing in some style here and there. Every character who gets in a fight is batshit crazy. And once you get to Hansel and Gretel, you don't get any crazier. Season 3 feels so far away.

4 - Cowboy Bebop
I love a woman that can kick my ass
- What could I possibly say about Cowboy Bebop that hasn't already been said? It's just got so much going for it. The jazz influence is one of the real attractive points to me, and the characters are another. Just remember, if CB didn't exist, Man Faye wouldn't exist. And the world would be all the bleaker.

3 - GaoGaiGar
Pizza de wa nai!
- GaoGaiGar is the epitome of energy. So much shouting, so much excitement, it's enough to get you pumped. When Guy shouts "GaoGaiGar", you'll want to shout with him. This show has an incredible amount of action to show. While the human characters are great, I really like how the robots themselves have personalities and are just as much characters as the humans. The next series is way overdue.

2 - Pani Poni Dash
マホ
- This is my kind of zany humor. Things are random, but there's just enough to make a little bit of sense out of things and not pass this off as a jokefest. PPD is downright funny; it never lets up for a second. It's also really fun trying to catch all the easter eggs in every episode. It's hard, too, considering the chalkboards are cluttered with things at any given moment. Surprisingly, no one in the cast comes off as annoying, which can only be a plus.

1 - Godannar
Even the robots have boobs
- On the surface, Godannar seems little more than a giant robot anime submerged in tits. Once you get past those (and there are a lot of them. Big ones, too), you got one of the best tales I've ever seen. The action ain't too different from other super robot shows, but that is all it needs. The characters are all really likable, even Lou. But the best part of this show is its heart. Sure the visuals are peppered with metal and milk duds, but this is really a showcase of how powerful love can be. Which is apparently powerful enough to obliterate planet threatening lifeforms. Who knew?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:37:53 AM by Sato »

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:45:15 AM
(from first to last)
#1. Saber marionette J-
The moment I watched it, i loved it, and I cannot explain why. I just love the story. robot women on a planet populated only with genetically engineered male clones? the sci fi of it all pulled me in. plus the animation was pretty decent. they really could have cleaned up the graininess a bit from the series 1 DVD collection,... but it was awesome anyway.

#2. Nightwalker-
once you get past the plotholes presented episode 5 and onward, its all good. I tend to like Vampire stiff, and this was rather interesting itself. it was basically, like, Angel, as an anime. they typical Vampire gone good + the evil vampire who's out to get him... exept in this case, that evil vampire was gay. it followed a "monster of the day" routine, but it worked for it. the music was just so very good though... I loved the music best of all. the "chase" music (for lack of a better term,) is my favorite tune out of the entire series. of course, it was originally a 4 episode series only, but since people liked it, they made 8 more episodes for a TV run, which presented VARIOUS inconsistancies. the biggest being the main villain, (the gay vampire) who had been killed episode 4, had come back, and was completely redesigned appearance wise to a more bishi look. that plus the violence and blood+gore was toned down significantly, with any liquid that wasnt coming out of a human was a shiny glittery purple substance. well, then again, the secondary 8 episodes WERE made by the producers of Sailor moon, so...

#3. Eat Man/Eat Man '98-
two very good anime series, which could have been better. Eat Man was very good, but certain aspects of the series lacked explanation, such as the flying ship that, although almost completely in ruins, seems to be above the sky wherever Bolt Crank(Eat Man) is. that plus the opening is just credits. it has a short scene of this glowing "star" shaped object, and then the title, and credits on  black screen. though the song they used itself was very good. the stories themselves seemed to lack any connection with the others, almost as if Bolt were in different worlds for each. though it really didnt matter too much. Bolts character was somewhat accurate, and his redesigned color scheme wasnt all that bad. although he did make strange noises occasionally. Eat Man 98, is more closely related to the Manga itself, but lacks any of the character. Bolt is cold as stone in this one, where he almost never smiles, nor does he speak that often. along with hsi shades, it makes it somewhat difficult to tell what hes thiking or what he might do next. plus it makes him look quirky, when he does something that frustrates others, yet he remains serious as ever. the opening and ending for this one werent credits anymore, although they were stiull rather cheap and uncreative. the opening consisted of Bolt walking twards the screen while to his side, showed clips of the main characters from the series in black and white, doing something, and the ending, was him walking away from the screen. once you get past the strange and weird factors in both animes, theyre pretty good.

#4.Casshern Sins-
it has moved up to one of my new all time favorites. its is just so awesome.

#5. Di Gi Charat-
the little half episode shorts that Gamers ran. these were really hilarious, and didnt need a concrete story to be funny. they just were.

#6. Lucky Star-
another funny one... from konata on one of her Otaku bouts to Anime Tenchou spontaneously catching fire, or trying desperately to get konata to buy something frokm his store, this anime is just made of pure win. the references to other animes and games and mangas, are just too awesome, and theres alwasy that OVA. although I can only think they shouldnt have started on  such a boring episode. I meran, they spend the whole first episode discussing how to eat food. for a first episode, thas pretty boring.

#7 Yu gi oh! the Original Series. (aka season 0, or "the shadow games")
I always liked this one. it came before the card game, and was based directly on the manga, with only slight changes. plus the character design is rather different fromt eh later Yugioh. its more about Yugi and his friends solving problems together, with the occasional Help from the rouge spirit from within the Millenium puzle, whom would occasionaly posses Yugi, and kick someones ass with an evil look in his eye. Most noticably, Ushio, who was unlucky enough to be his first victim straight out of the puzzle,  when he was a rouge spirit who would posses yugi and would not shy away from destroying someones mind, or trapping them in inescapable illusions.

#8 Yu Gi Oh!-
the series that came after. it was good, and although i hate 4kids, I must say that their dub of Yugioh could have been worse. all that buggted my was the continuous abusal of "the shadow realm" as a cover up for anything potentially non suitable forlittle kids. Buzzsaws that cut the losers legs off? they send you to the shadow realm. you lose and fall untill you go splat? you get sent to the shadow realm. and it goes on and on... but it was a good series nonetheless. EXODIA! OBLITERATE! ill never get over the initial shock of awesomeness that was Exodia destroying three blue eyes white dragons in one hit, and Kaiba gettign hit by the white beam and going AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!- *flash!* but yeah....

#9 Yugioh 5D's. this one is rapidly climbing in my yugioh favorites. its not stupid, like GX, it has a n explanation that makes sense, unlike the kid who just "happened" to be the "chosen one" to defeat all evil, and ho got the addition of being some reincarnation at the END of the series...*coughcoughjadencough* it got more done in 20 episodes than Yugioh and GX combined, and is already up to the second story arc while still in the first season. that plus the main character looks like Shadow the hedgehog. XD the Riding Duel thing has grown on my somewhat, and theres a  decent balance between riding duels and regular deuling to keep the series from getting annoying, Plus there hasnt been a storyline this interesting since the original Yugioh. which is an accomplishment in my eyes. plus its not dependent on the original Yugioh characters. Kaiba corp is there, though theres no mention of kaiba yet, and the main character doesnt come to be the main character through interaction with Yugi, unlike GX, where Jaden wouldnt be half of what he is had he not met Yugi.

#10 Tokyo mew mew-
 I dig pink haired catgirls. what more can i say. I first started watching it while it was on Fox, and I fell in love with it. I like it, its funny and it has catgirls. thats enough for me.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.