About the Mega Man 4 Robot Masters.

Dexter Dexter · 5323

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
on: December 20, 2009, 02:44:06 PM
Most Mega Man experts say that Dr. Cossack created the Robot Masters in MM4. But in the MM&B databases, their serial numbers are listed as DWN-025-032. Is this a typo? Or did Wily create those RMs?

Also: Wikipedia and other sources list the RMs as DCN-025-032, which makes this even more confusing.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 02:58:07 PM
Cossack created them, but Wily had done some work on some of them, particularly the combat orientated ones. Wily just has this knack of taking robots and making them his. Which is why the majority of the established DWN list is more like a list of robots people used to take over the world. The R4 group are both "DWN" and "DCN".

You can see the same things with the R3 robots being dominantly listed as Wily Numbers (Right and Wily Numbers, except ShadowMan), the R6 robots being listed as DWN and MXN (Mr. X Number).

The odd thing about that listing is that regardless of DRN, DWN, DCN and MXN, they all follow on each other. Whereas such things as the King Numbers however follow a completely different listing, just as the Space Rulers do. It's further complicated by TimeMan/OilMan, which are DRN-009/010, even though DWN-009/010 is MetalMan/AirMan.

Finally, I believe it was R4 in which the credits and the sourcebooks don't agree at all about the numbering of these robots.

All in all, I personally feel the DWN listing is very much in need of a gigantic overhaul, there really isn't that much consistency.

Offline Emiri Landeel

• M i s s i n g   i n   a c t i o n
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Put your faith in me and I'll show ya.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:06:10 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice that too.

Submit this just to show that it's also the same in Japanese GBA version.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:23:31 AM
They're listed as DCN in the end credits of MM4 aren't they? Or just the numbers? I can't even remember anymore.

Also two of them have their numbers mixed around, I remember that.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 12:31:45 AM
They're listed as just No. 025-032. And THREE Robot Masters had the wrong numbers (according to Wikipedia).

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 12:32:26 AM
I think the more interesting question is who built the RM's from MM6.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:11 AM
They are listed as DWN in MM6, but the backstory suggests that they were created from around the world, so yes, I would like to know.
And at one point I was gonna make short little comics about them before the robot master tournament, each robot master and their creator. Of how I see their creator, that is.

But I never really got around to that, I really should though.
Haven't been getting any commissions so I've got a lot of free time to throw into a project like that.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:31 AM
I think Wily gets credit for armed versions of the same robot.

They do seem to have their own split personality after Wily gets a hold of them (see: Mega Man 9 ending).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:58 AM
Which were however, built by Cossack before Wily came into his picture?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:40:22 AM
Yeah, the MM6 RM's are DWN's, but I was always curious as to who built each one in the first place.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:42:38 AM
I think the more interesting question is who built the RM's from MM6.
Yamato man was built by Dr. Fujiyama (the Famous Scientist!)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 12:43:29 AM
Which were however, built by Cossack before Wily came into his picture?

Right.

For instance, Toad Man there would probably be both:

DCN006 (or something)
and
DWN026

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 12:46:26 AM
Are Oil and Time officially DRN 009 and 10 officially?  Or is that fanon?  I didn't think they were numbered anywhere.

The numbers in the games are very strange from an in-universe perspecitve.  Even if you think of that as Dr. Wily's own personal list or robots he stole that wouldn't really explain it since MM, Roll, and Proto are all on it.

The MM4 robots were misnumbered in MM4 at the end.  It was very strange.  It disagrees with every other iteration of the numbers presented anywhere.  Yet they are presented in the right order.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:50 AM
Yamato man was built by Dr. Fujiyama (the Famous Scientist!)

I thought he only worked on Female Ninja Bots? 

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 12:50:11 AM
If you ask me, it's probably been done to keep track of the number of RMs, that have been introduced in the main series.

On the subject of Cossack's robots being built before Wily came into the picture, I believe that Skull Man might be the only one that wasn't built beforehand. Given that SM is meant to be a combat robot, Wily may have forced Cossack to build him.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 02:30:46 AM
I thought he only worked on Female Ninja Bots? 
does it matter?

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 02:50:31 AM
*Fizzes*
MAIN STORAGE CAPACITY HAS REACH LIMIT INSERT NEW CAPACITER...

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 03:08:42 AM
Are Oil and Time officially DRN 009 and 10 officially?  Or is that fanon?  I didn't think they were numbered anywhere.

Bit of both. There are no additional sources for Rockman Rockman, so we don't know their numbers. But within the game itself, when the others are DRN-003 to 008, TimeMan would be the ninth, and Oil the tenth. Which could also mean they're on some special numbering list, but at least we know that Time precedes Oil.

The numbers in the games are very strange from an in-universe perspecitve.  Even if you think of that as Dr. Wily's own personal list or robots he stole that wouldn't really explain it since MM, Roll, and Proto are all on it.

That's why Time and Oil would fix the listing just a bit. They'd remove Rock and Roll from Wily's list, and change the Wily stolen Right robots, CutMan to OilMan, to DWN-001 to DWN-008.

But then, you'd have to also completely restructure the R9 numbers to DRN-018~025 as well as the Cossack numbers to DCN-001~008. Which would retcon everything already established....

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 03:52:11 AM
So, their numbers are fanon.  Fanon based on the order of appearance, but fanon nonetheless (all fanon is based on something).  It'd be nice if they gave us an official word on that.  They could have in R20 at least.

I dunno if their inclusion would fix the internal numbering system from an in-universe perspective.  Because you'd still have two odd annotations for those characters and Rock and Roll to boot.  

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 04:20:51 AM
My theory on it is that when Dr. Wily originally stole Dr. Right's robots, he also stole the Right numbering system, which is why it would have included Bruce, Rock, and Roll.  But OilMan and TimeMan were still in the testing phases, so they hadn't been assigned numbers yet.  (TimeMan was even said to be experimental, right?)  Then later, when Wily made new sets of Robot Masters in the sequels, he decided to just keep numbering them from where he had left off from Right's system, and he called it the DWN system.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:32 AM
does it matter?

Not really, but man he needs better security.  People keep stealing his [parasitic bomb]!