Megaman X7....

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 03:31:18 PM
I'm going to have to vote the other way around on that one.  X7 tried to be both 2D and 3D at the same time which is where most of its troubles came from.  Between the two, it did a better job of being 3D, and would have been a better game if they committed to it (all they'd have had to do is add some width to some of Zero's special attacks).  The entire 2D level design of the game was ridiculously simplistic, with the exception of Stonekong's stage, and auto-lock only made matters worse.  It's like they weren't even trying, they just threw it in to lure the more stubborn fans who'd have had a fit over an actual 3D X game.

Shadow The Hedgehog.  Yeah, I'm serious.  The game is decent compared to most of the newer hedgehog titles, and most of its troubles (besides the boss fork at the end, doubling the amount of replays it takes to unlock Last Story -_- ) come from the mission system.  It's a bit overly strict, particularly the "destroy all of a particular enemy" ones.  In a side-scroller, enemies tend to be more in-the-way, so it'd be a lot harder for that one critter to slip out of your sight and force you to warp back throughout the stage looking for it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
Rockman Zero series~ </wii>

See, Ben? She gets it.

And you know what, that's work the other way around too. MMZ seems like a good fit for the DMC style.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:28 PM
See, Ben? She gets it.

And you know what, that's work the other way around too. MMZ seems like a good fit for the DMC style.

They're still quite different though, on the basis that their "formulas" and overall executions are different.

For example, MMZ was not really about combo building (though some did exist), because it focused more on speed and killing things efficiently. In DMC, and even more so, Bayonetta, the reason why everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is "cancellable" into anything else, is to make for a game where you could kill things in an elaborate fashion, and rank up the points. If Zero had access to HALF of what Dante or Bayo had at their disposal, in his own games/appearances? He'd be nigh-unstoppable. Dash Cancelling back in PSX MMX games was "bad" enough as it was, and showcased just how much the stock MMX/Z engine was not built for combo fluidity like that! 8D

To do such a transfer as what you're implying, would also mean that MMZ engine would have to be changed to adequately accommodate things to make things "balanced". MMZ, as we know it currently, would not be capable of rendering such a thing. Or at least, not well, as I'd still think some intricacies that came about from working within a 3D space would be lost in the process.

Again, Viewtiful Joe possibly stands as a better example of how to do such a "stylish action" game in 2D. Or hell, Treasure, arguably the "parent" of stylish action games, could render something just as viable. Follow something along those lines, and we may be onto something...

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 09:38:12 PM
And you forget that Zero canĀ“t use his hair for attacking like Bayo

Offline FalconRD

• Net Navi
  • Mostly Comptetent Gaming
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 02:30:17 PM
Actually, there's this whole genre of indie games called "demakes" that basically take this concept of a recent game and making it retro, as seen here: http://www.tigsource.com/features/demakes/

What I want to see 2D, though... you know, Ratchet & Clank could be a kickin' 2D platformer. It'd be just like Mega Man, except you'd have about six or seven times more weapons to go through. It could be also be like the arcade version of Bucky O'Hare or something.

Another game that would work well as a 2D platformer would be Shadow of the Colossus... oh wait: That's in the link I showed you!

EDIT: the demake, I mean.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 04:05:45 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~