GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208692

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #925 on: May 14, 2011, 06:35:35 PM
What is the point of depowering heroes in some stories?

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #926 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:51 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

I don't know if I'm reading this correctly but it appears that DC Comics is apparently doing a complete reboot of all its titles. A Johns-penned and a Lee-penciled Justice League sounds enticing but why do I have the feeling that DC is yanking my chain yet again?

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #927 on: June 01, 2011, 12:21:07 AM
I had a feeling this was coming after Flashpoint. I just hope it doesn't screw too much with everything. If I were a guessing man, I'd say this is Johns' further attempt to make a more cohesive, canon DCU. He's already revamped GL, Supes, & now the Flash, so he's probably gonna use this to fix everyone in one fell swoop. I doubt he'll touch those three or what's currently happening in Batman, but everything & everyone else is up for grabs.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #928 on: June 01, 2011, 12:34:34 AM
I'm kind of scratching my head and asking "why?"

Maybe I'm simply fatigued after previous attempts to revitalize the DCU after One Year Later, Countdown (cue shutter), Final Crisis, Blackest Night/Brightest Day, and now Flashpoint.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #929 on: June 01, 2011, 02:49:43 AM
Well Blackest Night/Brightest Day wasn't a revamp, just a big event.

Posted on: June 01, 2011, 01:02:24
...okay, I'm kinda happy now!

* A new title starring Superman written by Grant Morrison.
* Birds of Prey #1 - This new ongoing series will not feature the work of longtime "BoP" writer Gail Simone. In fact, many tried and true approaches to books will be getting a second look at DC in September.

* Teen Titans #1 - The new start for the teen team will be written by "Red Robin" scribe Fabian Nicieza.

* Justice Society of America #1 - Only one of a number of current titles that will welcome a creative team shift, the future of the original superhero team will apparently not involve current writer Marc Guggenheim.

* Wonder Woman #1 - Don't expect the recent changes from writer J. Michael Straczynski to stick when the Amazing Amazon sees another new #1 hit.

* Green Lantern #1 - Even with a new #1, Green Lantern remains in Johns' hands, and readers can expect the effects of major crossovers like "Blackest Night" to stay in place moving forward.

* Hawkman #1 - While fans have known a "Hawkman" series by James Robinson has been in the works since the writer mentioned it on a panel at New York Comic Con, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has been reporting the rumor that the book will be drawn by "Batman & Robin" and "Outsiders" artist Philip Tan.

* Aquaman #1 - No surprises here. The already announced series featuring the sea king by Johns and Ivan Reis will be part of the relaunch wave.

Morrison doing Superman = PB EXTREMELY HAPPY

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #930 on: June 02, 2011, 08:52:58 PM
That takes some of the sting out but I like love Paul Cornell's take on Supes.

Posted on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:41 PM
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/02/the-new-justice/

Some new titles announced, with Gail Simone and Ethan Van Sciver writing Fury of Firestorm? Oh [tornado fang] yeah! If it's anything like All-New Atom then I know it's going to be really good.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #931 on: June 02, 2011, 08:56:06 PM
Yeah I saw that. A lot have me pretty excited. However, Tony Daniels WRITING Hawkman just makes me sad.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #932 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:47 PM
Didn't James Robinson say that he was going to pen Hawkman after Brightest Day? I wonder what happened.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #933 on: June 02, 2011, 09:03:48 PM
Me too. I was looking forward to a Robinson Hawkman. Daniels though? If his Batman writing is any showing of his skills, the man should stick to art. I'm curious what Manipul does with The Flash though.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #934 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:04 AM
On the Spider-man frontier, I like both directions for 616 and Ultimate.

616 pretty much robbed Peter for his Spider-sense. Causing him to lose in hand to hand fights against people like--well, Jessica Drew (Spider-woman), but instead of having him get needlessly ass-pounded, Shang-Chi has been training him to fight. I shouldn't have to say how awesome that is to any Marvel fan seeing as how Shang-Chi is about top game when it comes to hand to hand combat.

Ultimate is running the "Death of Spider-man" arc. And while people are complaining about what happened (I won't spoil it unless asked.) It shows what makes Spider-man worth the title of "Hero." Rather than "hey! He has super-powers" or "Look at him punch that guy." It shows how far he's really willing to go for the sake of the people he cares about, which is done a lot in the 616 but Ultimate, it's a "What does Peter do AFTER someone's been hurt?"

I'm impressed on the righting in Ultimate more though.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #935 on: June 03, 2011, 05:49:39 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the point depowering superheroes? Why do comicbook writers depower superheroes depsite having superpowers from different sources?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #936 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17:49 AM
Can anyone tell me what is the point depowering superheroes? Why do comicbook writers depower superheroes depsite having superpowers from different sources?
Your question is kinda stupid, you know? I mean... isn't it obvious? They depower them because often it can provide a great concept for a story. Or because they want to get rid of some character (for a time). They depower them when they become too powerful, too.

That's all there is to it. Really.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #937 on: June 03, 2011, 08:58:25 AM
Superman.

That's all that needs to be said.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #938 on: June 03, 2011, 09:43:44 AM
On the Spider-man frontier, I like both directions for 616 and Ultimate.

616 pretty much robbed Peter for his Spider-sense. Causing him to lose in hand to hand fights against people like--well, Jessica Drew (Spider-woman), but instead of having him get needlessly ass-pounded, Shang-Chi has been training him to fight. I shouldn't have to say how awesome that is to any Marvel fan seeing as how Shang-Chi is about top game when it comes to hand to hand combat.

Ultimate is running the "Death of Spider-man" arc. And while people are complaining about what happened (I won't spoil it unless asked.) It shows what makes Spider-man worth the title of "Hero." Rather than "hey! He has super-powers" or "Look at him punch that guy." It shows how far he's really willing to go for the sake of the people he cares about, which is done a lot in the 616 but Ultimate, it's a "What does Peter do AFTER someone's been hurt?"

I'm impressed on the righting in Ultimate more though.

I'm not happy that he lost his Spider-Sense, but having Shang-Chi train him is pretty awesome. Even when he gets his Spider-Sense back, there's no reason for him not to train with him. Slott has good issues and bad issues. He can't write the FF for the life of him, but he's not bad at writing Spidey.

Ultimate Spidey has been excellent, and I have been enjoying it thus far. I'm curious how the Death of Spider-Man arc will be resolved.

Depends on the story. Some stories do it well. Others, like JLA: Act of God, do it so poorly that it's unreadable.

Superman.

That's all that needs to be said.

Pre-Crisis Superman anyway!

Offline Tri Hex

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #939 on: June 03, 2011, 08:05:49 PM
Anybody reading Fear Itself?[spoiler]Bucky's death ;^;[/spoiler]

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #940 on: June 13, 2011, 04:32:36 AM
Not too sure if I like the new look they've given Superman. Maybe I'll grow to like it, but for now... eh.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #941 on: June 13, 2011, 05:35:41 AM
I'm surprised they've kept it for as long as they have, but yeah I'll miss it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #942 on: June 13, 2011, 06:25:31 AM
I kinda like Supergirl's new design, and Im definitely going to need to get used to Superman's new one. Its just too weird seeing him without his red undies.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #943 on: June 14, 2011, 06:22:09 PM
Comic Book Death why? If you are going to kill off a character then make sure he stays dead.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #944 on: June 14, 2011, 07:24:38 PM
Comic Book Death why? If you are going to kill off a character then make sure he stays dead.
Good God...

You're forgetting (or are simply ignorant of the fact), that cape comics are an almost endless stream of endless endlessness. By which I mean, that they are going to go on forever. So unless a reboot happens (DURR DC), if they started killing off characters for good... they would have to come up with completely new ones, not to mention "shake up" the status quo.
And that's a [tornado fang]ing impossibility.
Because:

1. Iron Man, Spiderman and other characters like these cannot die (for long) because their [parasitic bomb] (no matter how [parasitic bomb]) sells.
2. Shaking up Status Quo? AHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah right, maybe in a different dimension.
3. THEY ARE ALL LAZY ASSHOLES!

That's (more or less) how it looks, though I might be a bit wrong about something.

Keep in mind this state of affairs is usually present only in cape comics.
Besides, you're talking like it never happens in manga/anime. Pfft.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #945 on: June 15, 2011, 04:26:08 AM
:\

Maybe it doesn't occur solely in superhero comics but still they shouldn't try and kill off characters if they are just oging to revive them back. It is jsut bad writing and its only good for shock value.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #946 on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:33 AM
:\

Maybe it doesn't occur solely in superhero comics but still they shouldn't try and kill off characters if they are just oging to revive them back. It is jsut bad writing and its only good for shock value.
Well, I never said this kind of thing was GOOD writing.
In fact, you're absolutely right. IT IS bad WRITING.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #947 on: June 28, 2011, 11:38:07 PM

I think there's a joke about blunt metaphors trauma somewhere in here.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #948 on: July 13, 2011, 11:56:25 PM
Did anyone catch the end of Green Lantern #67? I have to say that I kind of expected it but my interest in the title is renewed.

...and is it me, or would anyone else not seeing the Guardians or the Universe dead? I swear these guys pose more a danger to the universe due to their own stupidity, ineptness, and inability to learn from their mistakes after billions of years.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #949 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:16 AM
Haven't read it yet. Gotta pick up my books tomorrow after work.