GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208701

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #450 on: August 25, 2010, 11:14:16 AM
DISREGARD MARVEL

READ MARVEL COSMIC

You know how when DC's good, it's really good? Marvel Cosmic is like DC being always good, only Marvel. In space. Just start with the Annihilation arc from the beginning and go from there. It's probably one of the greatest comic book events I have ever read, and it's at least the most epic. It's about a bunch of guys protecting the universe from its biggest threat of all time while the Earth just had unnecessary Civil War squabbles about nothing (and continues to have unnecessary soap operas about primadonna superheroes while everything going on in Marvel Cosmic just gets MORE awesome by the minute.

Anything Greg Pak writes is good too. He was the one who wrote the concluding issue to the Hulks war, and made a GOOD ENDING to the entire Loeb mess, so we're talking about a classy writer. Just start reading the Incredible Hercules storylines, and go through the 4-issue Amadeus Cho: Prince of Power mini, which concludes today.
Marvel Cosmic is the Cancerverse stuff and the Galactus Engine, right?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: August 25, 2010, 12:57:36 PM
Marvel Cosmic is the Cancerverse stuff and the Galactus Engine, right?
Current arc, yes. But I seriously advise you to read from Annihilation. It's pretty much the starter arc for everything Marvel Cosmic, and where it all began.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:17 PM
Sounds awesome enough.

So you mentioned you could PM me what I needed for the DC stuff? I'd appreciate it if you went ahead and did so (though, if it's a torrent, I'm just gonna have to find another way. Old ass PC, ya see)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:44 AM
Done.

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

OH MY GOD THIS IS GLORIOUS. PURE UNADULTERATED GLORY

Batman 702 is one of those issues that represents my very favorite moment in each Morrison plot. The moment where everything comes to light, all events we knew by decoding each of the small things along the storyline. But seeing it actually play out and come to fruition is glorious.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: August 26, 2010, 01:32:08 AM
Huh? What happened? I'm not much of a Batman reader.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: August 26, 2010, 01:40:08 AM
Darkseid fell through existance. Made a hole in the universe. Batman made it so he and him had a situation where neither had any kind of preptime. Then he faced a God. In the end, humanity stood face to face with evil itself. And when things looked the bleakest, they looked the darkness in the eye, and said:

"Gotcha."

...now Batman is hurtling through time, remembering only what he is. And setting forth all the events and coincidences that grant the Batman legacy to be true, becoming the true symbol of good versus evil.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: August 26, 2010, 05:28:30 AM
Yeah, I read Batman #702 today, and it really just confirmed what I've always believed, in that there is nothing that Grant Morrison excels at more than writing anything related to New Gods stuff.  It fits his warped genius mind so absolutely perfectly, and Batman #702 proved that wholeheartedly.  It was absolutely brilliant.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: August 26, 2010, 05:40:55 AM
Darkseid fell through existance. Made a hole in the universe. Batman made it so he and him had a situation where neither had any kind of preptime. Then he faced a God. In the end, humanity stood face to face with evil itself. And when things looked the bleakest, they looked the darkness in the eye, and said:

"Gotcha."

...now Batman is hurtling through time, remembering only what he is. And setting forth all the events and coincidences that grant the Batman legacy to be true, becoming the true symbol of good versus evil.

That is freakin' awesome!

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: August 26, 2010, 06:58:18 AM
Also, Superman: Secret Origins finished. Easily one of the best Superman stories I've ever read.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: August 26, 2010, 09:45:44 AM

"Gotcha."

Fuckfuckfuckfuck.
I gotta finally read all of this.
This sounds so awesome.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:46 AM

Fuckfuckfuckfuck.
I gotta finally read all of this.
This sounds so awesome.
Whole thing's a retell of the RIP/Final Crisis/Return of Bruce Wayne period. But as Morrison isn't the kind of author to dwell on things, he made it so in the original works, what happens, can be subintended and resumed to a few panels for better storytelling. In this, the very moment where Bruce confronts Darkseid is repeated, and we take on the full dramatic effect of the battle of good versus evil. Everything that happens. And everything that will happen is finally fully foreshadowed, not just clues.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:50 AM
Whole thing's a retell of the RIP/Final Crisis/Return of Bruce Wayne period. But as Morrison isn't the kind of author to dwell on things, he made it so in the original works, what happens, can be subintended and resumed to a few panels for better storytelling. In this, the very moment where Bruce confronts Darkseid is repeated, and we take on the full dramatic effect of the battle of good versus evil. Everything that happens. And everything that will happen is finally fully foreshadowed, not just clues.
Okay. That's it.
Can you send me some links to [OBTAIN] everything I need to read?
If you can't then I guess I would have to scourge through /rs/ or something, but I hate doing that.
Thanks.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:14 PM
Okay. That's it.
Can you send me some links to [OBTAIN] everything I need to read?
If you can't then I guess I would have to scourge through /rs/ or something, but I hate doing that.
Thanks.
Done.

By the way, guess what day it is today.

Let's weep for our horrible fates once more.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: August 26, 2010, 05:12:10 PM

Let's weep for our horrible fates once more.

Yeah, I read the OMiT #3 that I missed last week.

...it's amazing how it continues to get worse.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: August 26, 2010, 07:31:53 PM
Thanks, Superbat.
Goddamn... it will take me some time to read everything. 8U

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: August 26, 2010, 07:34:04 PM
Follow at your own pace, and tell me if you have any kind of question on the plot or on how to follow each arc.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: August 27, 2010, 02:55:59 AM
Speaking of Crisis, whatever happned to both Mandrakk and Darkseid did they die? Get sent into another dimension? How did Darkseid grow so powerful that he was able to merge universes and the Earths?

Is Batman even more of a fantasy archetype than Supes?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: August 27, 2010, 03:27:34 AM
Speaking of Crisis, whatever happned to both Mandrakk and Darkseid did they die? Get sent into another dimension? How did Darkseid grow so powerful that he was able to merge universes and the Earths?

Is Batman even more of a fantasy archetype than Supes?
Mandrakk is defeated. Darkseid is both in Bats', and Hurt. At least implied to be. Hurt is at least the personification of the devil, and of evil itself.

And another thing...

Notice anything funny with how they found the cowl?

How about now:

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #468 on: August 27, 2010, 02:01:26 PM
- The Return of Bruce Wayne (again, it's his own 6-issue miniseries)
- The Return (separate series portraying Bruce's actual return and how it influences each of the characters around him
I'm assuming these are two seperate books? If so, I'm not finding the second.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #469 on: August 27, 2010, 03:50:52 PM
I'm assuming these are two seperate books? If so, I'm not finding the second.
The Return hasn't come out yet. The Return of Bruce Wayne is on its 4th issue, currently. Just be patient.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #470 on: August 27, 2010, 03:55:30 PM
Mandrakk is defeated. Darkseid is both in Bats', and Hurt. At least implied to be. Hurt is at least the personification of the devil, and of evil itself.

And another thing...

Notice anything funny with how they found the cowl?

How about now:

Whoa. that looks amazing and I do remember that cowl. You can never forget the cowl.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #471 on: August 27, 2010, 04:22:02 PM
The Return hasn't come out yet. The Return of Bruce Wayne is on its 4th issue, currently. Just be patient.
Ah, okay. That's good for me, I have a [parasitic bomb] ton to catch up on as it is. Got everything Batman wise now and need to grab the GL stuff.

After that, gotta start grabbing some of the Marvel stuff.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: August 27, 2010, 04:32:20 PM
Marvel-wise, just get Cosmic. There's probably a torrent with the entire Annihilation arc around the place.

Ah, and Incredible Hercules is also an awesome comic to follow, if you can.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:16 PM
http://nextwave.pl/opis/1620905/green-lantern-blackest-night-hc.html
Hey, should I buy the thing in the above link?
I'm considering either that, or Batman & Robin Vol.1.
I have not yet got to reading either of time, but I have some money to use and my comic collection could use more of them.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: August 28, 2010, 01:14:09 AM
http://nextwave.pl/opis/1620905/green-lantern-blackest-night-hc.html
Hey, should I buy the thing in the above link?
I'm considering either that, or Batman & Robin Vol.1.
I have not yet got to reading either of time, but I have some money to use and my comic collection could use more of them.
No.

Blackest Night is a complicated event to read. Specially because it goes like this:

- Green Lantern #43
- Blackest Night #0
- Blackest Night #1
- Green Lantern #44
- Green Lantern Corps #39
- Blackest Night #2
- Green Lantern #45
- Green Lantern Corps #40
- Blackest Night #3
- Green Lantern #46
and so on and so forth through the rest of the event. You're only reading a third of the event with the GL hardcover. Get it along with the Blackest Night hardcover, at least, and leave the GLC one for last, because although it's quite essencial, it's not THAT essencial and some details can be left out.

If you want to get just a single book, get the Batman & Robin HC or the Final Crisis HC (it's a worthy book to have in hardcover)

Get the Batman run from the start with Batman & Son, Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, The Black Glove and RIP if you like maximum order.

If you want the GL run from the start, get Green Lantern: Rebirth, Green Lantern: No Fear and Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns. Just as the regular order.