GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208687

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #300 on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:42 AM
I agree that a KOTOR style game would probably work the best. Plus if you have the different Earth Lanterns, they could each have different constructs each, suited to each one's style. 

But yeah, that's the real problem with a Green Lantern game. The only limit on the ring would be one's imagination. LoL, unless they do it Scribblenauts style!
It doesn't have to be anything you want with the ring. They just need a few constructs for each. Heck, Hal Jordan solves most of his problems with a big green boxing glove, or a standard beam of light. The problem would be to conciliate those powers, with the flying. Superman Returns came close to making a good Superman game. The gameplay was decent. Not good, but very decent, and their best effort yet. But the level design and game structure was screwed up. But Green Lantern doesn't just use fists and beams, he's supposed to use a whole lot of abilities, WHILE flying. And while it would DEFINETLY work if it'd use something dreamy like a Zone of the Enders gameplay to combine flying/combat along with some space sequences ala Beyond Good & Evil... we already know that game devs aren't gonna have the trouble to combine two original and very well-designed gaming standards that were designed by the best of the best, specially when they just got a licensed property on their hands.

...maybe when GL's as popular as Batman. Until then, we can expect no more quality than that one Watchmen brawler (which actually wasn't that bad, it was just sickeningly repetitive).

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #301 on: July 24, 2010, 04:45:44 AM
It doesn't have to be anything you want with the ring. They just need a few constructs for each.

LoL, I thought that's what I said! XD

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #302 on: July 24, 2010, 04:53:25 AM
Look what Joey Q said at panel in San Diego...

Question for Quesada: One More Day, Brand New Day, big controversy -- at what point in time did you realize it did, or didn't, pay off? Quesada: "Spider-Man is so strong, creatively, we knew -- payoff or not -- the idea of Spider-Man being single again was the most important goal, and we managed to do that. When it started to pay off is when Brand New Day started to kick into high gear, and people started meeting each other... that's what we wanted. We wanted that canon of people in Peter's life to be enhanced again. Because it had gotten stale, it had gotten limited due to marriage and other trappings of the character."

Comments?

Does this guy even get it, or is he that bat-[parasitic bomb] insane? Dude, putting Peter back to where he was over twenty years ago through an incredibly stupid plot contrivance is about as fresh as twenty year old coleslaw.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #303 on: July 24, 2010, 05:04:46 AM
Look what Joey Q said at panel in San Diego...

Comments?

Does this guy even get it, or is he that bat-[parasitic bomb] insane? Dude, putting Peter back to where he was over twenty years ago through an incredibly stupid plot contrivance is about as fresh as twenty year old coleslaw.
He's crazy. Pretty much, he wants to keep Peter a teen. Which is, I dunno, WHAT HE'S BEEN PORTRAYED AS ALL OF THESE YEARS.

God dammit, Quesada.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: July 24, 2010, 05:22:34 AM
He's crazy. Pretty much, he wants to keep Peter a teen. Which is, I dunno, WHAT HE'S BEEN PORTRAYED AS ALL OF THESE YEARS.

God dammit, Quesada.
Wasn't that what the Ultimate universe was for?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:09 AM
Because it had gotten stale, it had gotten limited due to marriage and other trappings of the character."

Of course.  It couldn't have POSSIBLY been because of god-awful writing and [acid burst] poor stories...

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: July 24, 2010, 05:30:02 AM
Wasn't that what the Ultimate universe was for?

Pretty much, and Marvel Adventures while it was still around. But Joey Q's too obsessed with a single Spidey he forgot there's an entire generation of fans who grew up with a married Spidey, and that retconning the marriage out would horribly split the fanbase.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #307 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:21 AM
Pretty much, and Marvel Adventures while it was still around. But Joey Q's too obsessed with a single Spidey he forgot there's an entire generation of fans who grew up with a married Spidey, and that retconning the marriage out would horribly split the fanbase.

It's not even that he split the marriage.  I mean, I have a problem with it, but that's me. 

The real problem is the way he went about it, as well as the previous stories before, especially Civil War.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: July 24, 2010, 05:38:23 AM
It's not even that he split the marriage.  I mean, I have a problem with it, but that's me. 

The real problem is the way he went about it, as well as the previous stories before, especially Civil War.
I want to make a snarky comment.. But I can't find words that fit my disappointment with this man.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #309 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:05 AM

I have no argument with that, it would've been easier to accept getting rid of the marriage in a believable way. Even JMS smelled bull-[parasitic bomb] when Joey Q wanted to use "magic" as his excuse, I even wonder if JMS really wrote it of if Quesada did using his name, I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: July 24, 2010, 05:54:41 AM
I have no argument with that, it would've been easier to accept getting rid of the marriage in a believable way. Even JMS smelled bull-[parasitic bomb] when Joey Q wanted to use "magic" as his excuse, I even wonder if JMS really wrote it of if Quesada did using his name, I wouldn't be surprised.

The problem starts with Civil War. Spider-Man, ABOVE EVERY [tornado fang]ing SUPERHERO IN COMIC HISTORY, knows the danger of what happens when psychopaths find out who you are under the mask. So instead of just simply revealing his identity to the government & SHIELD, which was ALL that was required, he takes off his mask IN FRONT OF THE WORLD. Peter Parker is not a [tornado fang]ing idiot, and he would HAVE to have known that one of the many, many, MANY people he's pissed off with his quips and remarks would come after him or his loved one, which of course they do.

Cut to OMD. Instead of Peter learning his lesson and taking responsibility for what he foolishly did, you know what UNCLE BEN TOLD HIM TO DO WITH GREAT POWER, all his problems are magically wished away...BY THE DEVIL!

That's the problem with OMD. It's not only a spit in the face to the fans, but it has absolutely no respect for Spider-Man himself.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #311 on: July 24, 2010, 10:47:59 AM
The problem starts with Civil War. Spider-Man, ABOVE EVERY [tornado fang]ing SUPERHERO IN COMIC HISTORY, knows the danger of what happens when psychopaths find out who you are under the mask. So instead of just simply revealing his identity to the government & SHIELD, which was ALL that was required, he takes off his mask IN FRONT OF THE WORLD. Peter Parker is not a [tornado fang]ing idiot, and he would HAVE to have known that one of the many, many, MANY people he's pissed off with his quips and remarks would come after him or his loved one, which of course they do.

Cut to OMD. Instead of Peter learning his lesson and taking responsibility for what he foolishly did, you know what UNCLE BEN TOLD HIM TO DO WITH GREAT POWER, all his problems are magically wished away...BY THE DEVIL!

That's the problem with OMD. It's not only a spit in the face to the fans, but it has absolutely no respect for Spider-Man himself.
It's like Quesada didn't read Spider-Man comics AT ALL before he stuck his [tornado fang]ing nose into them. Asking for the Devil himself to change things? Where the [tornado fang] is that in Spidey's character.. EVER?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: July 24, 2010, 02:22:17 PM
...Red Hulk has been confirmed by Quesada and Loeb to join the Avengers.

...MY HEAD IS FULL OFF WHAT THE [tornado fang]

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: July 24, 2010, 04:40:57 PM

WAT
THE
[tornado fang]
?!

Why would Red Hulk join the Avengers. WHY WOULD THEY WANT HIM ANYWAY?!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #314 on: July 24, 2010, 05:47:41 PM
WAT
THE
[tornado fang]
?!

Why would Red Hulk join the Avengers. WHY WOULD THEY WANT HIM ANYWAY?!
"Redemption for Ross", Loeb and Quesada said. Which is stupid. Isn't he currently a villain in this arc? Even AFTER he did all his "I've sinned soooo many times!" confession?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: July 24, 2010, 11:23:28 PM

Wow

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #316 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:47 PM
JMS was going to use magic himself. He was going to use the deal and have Gwen stay alive, thus nullifying the marriage and the whole fucklot of stuff in the proccess. That was his big idea to retcon Sins Past.

So Joe Q says he doesn't want Gwen back, and JMS ups the ante on butthurt to ludicrous levels (see also: Thor is HIS property, not Marvel's).

Pot calling kettle black takes a whole new meaning in this entire equation.

Also everybody is an Avenger now. When the X-titles got out of hand in the nineties because of the X-Men cartoon? That's what happening to the Avengers.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #317 on: July 24, 2010, 11:42:16 PM
Someone who's not big into comics here:

Explain to me the difference between Red and Green Hulk

And why this latest thing is so bad

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Reply #318 on: July 24, 2010, 11:47:31 PM

Green Hulk is the Hulk everybody knows who keeps alternating between dumb and smart depending on who writes it.

Red Hulk was a character taken out of nowhere because one of this generation's most prolific authors (sales don't lie!) wanted a character who could beat the [parasitic bomb] out of the entire Marvel Universe and kept his identity a mystery for 20+ issues in which Red Hulk was an ass to basically everybody and beat everybody up in a coup with assorted Marvel villains to take over the US Government. Then it was revealed he's General Thunderbolt Ross, the army-guy who's always chasing Hulk around for as long as he is alive.

And now he's gonna be a hero.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: July 24, 2010, 11:50:24 PM

Green Hulk is Hulk. Red Hulk is the same army general who first called him a monstrosity and wanted to kill him for being so in the first place.

IIIIIIIIRONY.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #320 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:24 AM
Red Hulk was a character taken out of nowhere because one of this generation's most prolific authors (sales don't lie!) wanted a character who could beat the [parasitic bomb] out of the entire Marvel Universe and kept his identity a mystery for 20+ issues in which Red Hulk was an ass to basically everybody and beat everybody up in a coup with assorted Marvel villains to take over the US Government. Then it was revealed he's General Thunderbolt Ross, the army-guy who's always chasing Hulk around for as long as he is alive.

Was any of that any good?

And did Red She-Hulk come out already?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #321 on: July 25, 2010, 12:43:40 AM
You know what we need?

Most Excellent Superbat needs to buy Marvel. Surely it's cheaper than Japan.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #322 on: July 25, 2010, 12:56:07 AM
Was any of that any good?

And did Red She-Hulk come out already?
It wasn't any good. There's a whooole issue just flashbacking Ross' entire life. He says he's so sorry, he's so incredibly sorry, his life is filled with sin, blah blah blah... then culminates the issue toppling the American government.

And She-Rulk is Betty.

You know what we need?

Most Excellent Superbat needs to buy Marvel. Surely it's cheaper than Japan.
I bought Japan because it was being the target of a massive conspiracy that shook the balance of the world itself, and it had to be fixed.

...but even I can't fix Marvel. >_>

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: July 25, 2010, 01:04:15 AM
...but even I can't fix Marvel. >_>
But.. But.. Money can fix everything!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: July 25, 2010, 01:06:28 AM
Oh well, at least there's DC. If you ignore the whole "Rise of Arsenal" thing.

But.. But.. Money can fix everything!

Marvel crossed the event horizon already. Even money can't escape a black hole.