GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208696

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: June 18, 2010, 08:38:15 PM
Almost like Night Thrasher.  Of course, I liked the New Warriors.
I remember the New Warriors. I used to love Speedball in the 90's. Of course, then he went SPIKESSPIKESSPIKES.

...at least Ellis wrote him well then. =P

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #151 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:40 PM
I remember the New Warriors. I used to love Speedball in the 90's. Of course, then he went SPIKESSPIKESSPIKES.

...at least Ellis wrote him well then. =P

Yeah I wasn't happy with what they did to Speedball.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: June 18, 2010, 09:57:54 PM
Yeah I wasn't happy with what they did to Speedball.
He's back as a mix of both personalities, as I can see. Does that mean Squirrel Girl will be a fangirl over him again? I hope so. Kinda miss her.

Also, having him teach in Avengers Academy may turn out to be cool.

Also, Mettle is SO MOE~

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: June 18, 2010, 10:01:12 PM
.......is that him?  Why is he the Red Skull?  Wouldn't.......Cap be REALLY pissed at him for this?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: June 18, 2010, 10:08:46 PM
.......is that him?  Why is he the Red Skull?  Wouldn't.......Cap be REALLY pissed at him for this?
No no no, Mettle is kind of a Colossus that can't turn his metal self off. But yes, the first issue of Avengers Academy does reveal that the whole kids' team that has been put there is there because they are the ones with the biggest risk of becoming the "next Red Skull or Magneto". So in a way, yeah.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #155 on: June 18, 2010, 10:10:38 PM
No no no, Mettle is kind of a Colossus that can't turn his metal self off. But yes, the first issue of Avengers Academy does reveal that the whole kids' team that has been put there is there because they are the ones with the biggest risk of becoming the "next Red Skull or Magneto". So in a way, yeah.

Similar to how the Titans became [tornado fang]'d up in the future.  Man, I miss Geoff writing that comic.....

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #156 on: June 18, 2010, 10:25:14 PM
Similar to how the Titans became [tornado fang]'d up in the future.  Man, I miss Geoff writing that comic.....
I honestly think a TON of team comics should be cancelled, and they should just have more teams and artists making a solid structure for the main comics. Tons of stuff gets shared artists, like Return of Bruce Wayne or the Blackest Night saga, which pretty much happened GL-BN-GL-BN-GL-BN if you wanted to make any sense of the story. Only... instead of doing the bullshit Amazing Spider-Man has going for its current structure, they should have one continuous story, so you can expect something good every week. Morrison and Johns have already shown they can write tons of stuff at a time.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:58 PM
Well, I have no problem with JSA being canceled, as it's completely gone down without Johns behind the helm.  JLA needs to be given to Johns, or handed back to Morrison again.  I like the current Teen Titans team, but I just don't like the writing.  I like the idea of the generational teams though, like Teen Titans, JLA, and JSA.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #158 on: June 18, 2010, 10:35:01 PM
Well, I have no problem with JSA being canceled, as it's completely gone down without Johns behind the helm.  JLA needs to be given to Johns, or handed back to Morrison again.  I like the current Teen Titans team, but I just don't like the writing.  I like the idea of the generational teams though, like Teen Titans, JLA, and JSA.
Morrison's handling quite a few projects as it is, and so is Johns. JSA... they... as much as I LOVE the JSA, I think Flash, Wildcat and Green Lantern kinda need to go and retire for good, maybe a house in the countryside or some crap, and dying respectfully in bed with their families around them, like worthy men. I love them, I love them being awesome veterans and stuff, but I think that, immortality timeloop or not, they're way too old for this [parasitic bomb]. They've become kind of irrelevant, and I never want that for them.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:16 PM
Honestly, I pretty much agree with you there, plus they already have worthy predecessors in Flash, Jade, and Wildcat.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:38 PM
Honestly, I pretty much agree with you there, plus they already have worthy predecessors in Flash, Jade, and Wildcat.
I think everyone has worthy predecessors, in a way. They should move on once their time is up.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: June 18, 2010, 11:06:48 PM
But then you look at them bringing back Ollie, Hal, and Barry.  They had worthy predecessors, but here they are!  XD

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #162 on: June 19, 2010, 07:49:28 AM
Personally, at this point I wouldn't mind if they canceled Teen Titans, and restarted Young Justice. Didn't they do the reverse when the animated Teen Titans came along?

'Sides, Infinite Crisis really [tornado fang]'d up Teen Titans by taking Superboy and Kid Flash (my two favorite YJers/Titans) out of the equation. Granted the post-One Year Later Teen Titans was pretty damn good up till Titans East-- it really went downhill after that. I partially blame how (allegedly) editorially driven the title was, that and the Titans became the redshirts of the DCU. Not cool.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: June 19, 2010, 02:25:50 PM
But then you look at them bringing back Ollie, Hal, and Barry.  They had worthy predecessors, but here they are!  XD
I never followed Ollie much, but as for Hal and Barry, there are suitable explanations. For Hal, honestly, as much as Kyle has been a great character in titles such as Morrison's JLA and some of his own comic, nobody really knew what to do with him. And no Guardians, no Corps, the whole thing with one Green Lantern and alot of bullshit to the side had kinda gotten too damn stupid. Guy Gardner was 90's X-treme personified, John had gone through who knows what and been a Guardian himself... a REBOOT was necessary. And not just a reboot, but something that fixed one of the stupidest decisions ever made at DC. Turning Hal Jordan into an all-powerful time and reality-changing overlord. So they fixed it, and current GL is pretty damn good.
As for Barry? Stated quite a few times by Johns... Wally had grown up to a degree where he had no more space to grow up to. He was a family man, had saved the universe and time itself many times, had pretty much mastered all his speed powers of EVERYTHING... his personality was built, and he became a family man. You can't just go and constantly put his kids in danger now. So why not expand on Barry instead of bringing a new Flash?

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: June 19, 2010, 10:21:53 PM
Plus, with how many times "Saint" Barry Allen was mentioned throughout Wally's run-- I felt like DC cheated me out of something.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: June 19, 2010, 10:32:34 PM
Plus, with how many times "Saint" Barry Allen was mentioned throughout Wally's run-- I felt like DC cheated me out of something.
Barry Allen was cool, but he wasn't AWESOME. He was just the dude who made The Flash's current image and standard. But the guy who did all the crazy [parasitic bomb] like outrunning the universe, life itself, and him, was Wally. Heck, Wally's pretty much the one single hero I know who was TURNED KICKASS by the 90's. And trust me... the 90's were hell for comics. Not alot good came out of them.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: June 20, 2010, 01:22:47 AM
I never followed Ollie much, but as for Hal and Barry, there are suitable explanations.

LoL, you only have to give my favorite Grant Morrison response when it comes to bringing back characters.

"They're comic book character.  We can pretty much do whatever the hell we want with them!"

XD

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: June 20, 2010, 01:53:30 AM
LoL, you only have to give my favorite Grant Morrison response when it comes to bringing back characters.

"They're comic book character.  We can pretty much do whatever the hell we want with them!"

XD
Exactly. And when it comes to good writers, more often than not, bringing them back is a good thing. Silver Age characters being brought back gives a chance to expand upon their personalities and characterization, something they had very little of in the past.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #168 on: June 21, 2010, 09:57:58 PM
Absolute All-Star Superman comes out in October.

I own every issue of the comic, and I'm still buying this.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: June 21, 2010, 10:01:32 PM
Absolute All-Star Superman comes out in October.

I own every issue of the comic, and I'm still buying this.
Comic book gold. But I'll keep my issues plus softcovers. This is one of those comic books I'll look back to and smile at the original issues.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: June 21, 2010, 10:02:56 PM
Absolutes look so nice on my bookshelf though.   8D

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: June 22, 2010, 04:09:24 PM
So, I found a Polish e-store, where there's shitload of Marvel TradePaperbacks.

There's like, Civil War TPs, Ultimates Vol. 1 & 2 TPs, X-men TPs, Deadpool TPs and many, many others.
So, I'm thinking... do you guys have any recommendations for me? You can tell me... and I'll check if it's there, to see what's the price.
Please, help a guy who can never decide on anything.
Also, I can only buy one right now.

Thanks.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:14 PM
Ultimates Vol. 1 & 2 TPs

BUY THIS RIGHT NOW.  RIGHT [tornado fang]ing NOW!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: June 22, 2010, 04:22:30 PM
BUY THIS RIGHT NOW.  RIGHT [tornado fang]ing NOW!
I've been considering that too. Since you recommend this with such...umm enthusiasm... I guess I should.
Tough, I can only buy the first volume.
I'll get the second one next month.

I head a lot of good things about this comic. I even remember reading some of it once.

Thanks for advice, PB.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:20 PM
Yeah, buy the first one, then when you can buy the second one.  They are among the best comics I've ever read.

However, under NO circumstances should you EVER, repeat EVER get Ultimates 3.