GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208695

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: May 27, 2010, 09:15:25 PM

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: May 28, 2010, 03:12:24 AM
This is sad news.
Oh please. He said the same thing about the first game. He'll be back. He's like Kojima and Metal Gear.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: May 28, 2010, 06:42:45 PM
Oh please. He said the same thing about the first game. He'll be back. He's like Kojima and Metal Gear.

Except Konami just doesn't want him to stop, it makes them too much money and money speaks a language everyone understands.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: May 28, 2010, 07:49:39 PM
Except Konami just doesn't want him to stop, it makes them too much money and money speaks a language everyone understands.
Who says DC wants Mark Hamill to stop with Joker? And who says they aren't willing to shower him with cash?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: May 30, 2010, 02:00:31 AM
That discussion in DCAU thread, about Countdown being horribly bad, has reunited me with my memories of...

Well... I once went to ask /co/, about what Doctor Doom story should I read.
Someone mentioned Ultimates 3... and since I remember reading Ultimate X-men once upon a time(and lovin' it) I decided to give it a shot.

Oh boy, what a wild ride that was.
I was [tornado fang]ing facepalming through the whole volume, and let me tell you something... it lead to one of the worst things ever created.

ULTI-[tornado fang]ing-MATUM!

They killed off most of the Ultimate X-men and, and... Jesus.

LOOOEEEEEBBBBBBBB!!!

I'm still sometimes raging about this, especially when I see the new "stunts" Loeb pulls off.
Am I alone?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: May 30, 2010, 02:05:23 AM
I'm still sometimes raging about this, especially when I see the new "stunts" Loeb pulls off.
Am I alone?

I think it's pretty much universally agreed that the name "Jeph Loeb" can almost be synonymous with "Comic Book Cancer" amongst comic fans.  In ONE issue, just ONE, he single handedly ruined one of the greatest comics ever, being the Ultimates.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: May 30, 2010, 02:09:05 AM
One issue? That is kind of amazing in an odd sort of way.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: May 30, 2010, 02:27:04 AM
That discussion in DCAU thread, about Countdown being horribly bad, has reunited me with my memories of...

Well... I once went to ask /co/, about what Doctor Doom story should I read.
Someone mentioned Ultimates 3... and since I remember reading Ultimate X-men once upon a time(and lovin' it) I decided to give it a shot.

Oh boy, what a wild ride that was.
I was [tornado fang]ing facepalming through the whole volume, and let me tell you something... it lead to one of the worst things ever created.

ULTI-[tornado fang]ing-MATUM!

They killed off most of the Ultimate X-men and, and... Jesus.

LOOOEEEEEBBBBBBBB!!!

Am I alone?

Jeph Loeb. Now there's a tale to tell. Gather around, ye kiddies.

You see, Jeph Loeb used to be good. Heck, he used to be great. He's called "superstar writer Jeph Loeb" exactly for the good stories he wrote back then. Batman: The Long Halloween. Batman: Dark Victory. Superman For All Seasons. His colaborations with Tim Sale was really well done, and they brought a spirit to the DC world which would mold certain Batman mysteries for years AND YEARS to come. Hush was also a great story, no matter how many naysayers might call it nowadays. Without editor interference, it would have been great, and it would have brought back Jason Todd in a much better way. Problem is, Jeph started to get kinda stale. His first arc on Superman/Batman kinda showed us that his stuff wasn't really getting better with time. And then, something happened. His son died.

Now, I got a small theory of mine. All genius comic book writers basically go batshit insane one day. Frank Miller had 9/11 as a catalyst. Jeph Loeb had his son's death. Garth Ennis... [parasitic bomb], I dunno what happened to him, but there's gotta be some explanation from how he went from making the very best arcs of John Constantine, to writing snuff [parasitic bomb] in The Boys.

When the Ultimate books started selling better than the 616 main universe, the editors got a bit upset. So they sent the Ultimate people to 616, and made Loeb do the Ultimates 3 series. Which, after the awesome which was Ultimates 1 and 2, was complete ASS. And Ultimatum might as well be the very worst even in comic book history. It's basically Jeph Loeb [tornado fang]ing everything over. EVERYTHING. Murders, people acting out of character, MORE murders...

So, yeah. Poor Jeph Loeb. Pity him, people. For he was once a great writer.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: May 30, 2010, 02:47:07 AM
I know that death of someone you love(even more so your own son) is/can be/probably is devastating. It might affect you in many ways.
Which does not change the fact, that he should be, at least for the most part, over it now. Yet, he keeps making crap.
Why?
Because he's a hack? Probably.
Everyone praises his old DC stuff... maybe he's just not able to accomplish anything on the Marvel side?
Possibly.
Why does Marvel even let him write their big stuffs?
WAKARIMASEN LOL

At least Ultimates 3 had pretty pictures. : >

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: May 30, 2010, 02:49:37 AM
I know that death of someone you love(even more so your own son) is/can be/probably is devastating. It might affect you in many ways.
Which does not change the fact, that he should be, at least for the most part, over it now. Yet, he keeps making crap.
Why?
Because he's a hack? Probably.
Everyone praises his old DC stuff... maybe he's just not able to accomplish anything on the Marvel side?
Possibly.
Why does Marvel even let him write their big stuffs?
WAKARIMASEN LOL

At least Ultimates 3 had pretty pictures. : >
Ultimates 3 is by Joe Madureira. If your'e a 90's fan, or a Battle Chasers fan, just pretend the talk bubbles don't exist and look at the pretty art.

And yes, it's scary how much crap Loeb has shat out. Red Hulk alone has been one of the very worst arcs I've ever read. And the revelation was simply stupid.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:29 AM
Battle Chasers, eh? I gotta check it out then. : P

What was the revelation? I didn't even bother with Red Hulk.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: May 30, 2010, 03:12:33 AM
Battle Chasers, eh? I gotta check it out then. : P

What was the revelation? I didn't even bother with Red Hulk.
Don't. If you like it, it's unfinished, and he doesn't seem like he will be finishing it soon.

...oh, and Red Hulk is General Ross and Red She-Hulk is Betty.

If anyone cared about this spoiler at all, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING READING RULK

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: May 30, 2010, 03:22:38 AM
I liked how his B.T. got hotter the angrier he got.
But I really just skimmed. I saw a red hulk on the cover of a book at borders, so I skimmed through.
it was meh. but it was rulk that caught my eyes. I was like, "wait- I know there's a green, and gray one- theres a RED one now?"

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: May 30, 2010, 03:23:27 AM
I liked how his B.T. got hotter the angrier he got.
But I really just skimmed. I saw a red hulk on the cover of a book at borders, so I skimmed through.
it was meh. but it was rulk that caught my eyes. I was like, "wait- I know there's a green, and gray one- theres a RED one now?"
...and a blue one.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: May 30, 2010, 03:24:10 AM
O rly?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: May 30, 2010, 06:53:15 AM
Jeph Loeb. Now there's a tale to tell. Gather around, ye kiddies.

You see, Jeph Loeb used to be good. Heck, he used to be great. He's called "superstar writer Jeph Loeb" exactly for the good stories he wrote back then. Batman: The Long Halloween. Batman: Dark Victory. Superman For All Seasons. His colaborations with Tim Sale was really well done, and they brought a spirit to the DC world which would mold certain Batman mysteries for years AND YEARS to come. Hush was also a great story, no matter how many naysayers might call it nowadays. Without editor interference, it would have been great, and it would have brought back Jason Todd in a much better way. Problem is, Jeph started to get kinda stale. His first arc on Superman/Batman kinda showed us that his stuff wasn't really getting better with time. And then, something happened. His son died.

Now, I got a small theory of mine. All genius comic book writers basically go batshit insane one day. Frank Miller had 9/11 as a catalyst. Jeph Loeb had his son's death. Garth Ennis... [parasitic bomb], I dunno what happened to him, but there's gotta be some explanation from how he went from making the very best arcs of John Constantine, to writing snuff [parasitic bomb] in The Boys.

When the Ultimate books started selling better than the 616 main universe, the editors got a bit upset. So they sent the Ultimate people to 616, and made Loeb do the Ultimates 3 series. Which, after the awesome which was Ultimates 1 and 2, was complete ASS. And Ultimatum might as well be the very worst even in comic book history. It's basically Jeph Loeb [tornado fang]ing everything over. EVERYTHING. Murders, people acting out of character, MORE murders...

So, yeah. Poor Jeph Loeb. Pity him, people. For he was once a great writer.

And that's the tragic thing too.  I love his older stuff, like the ones you just mentioned.  Hell, Absolute Hush was the first Absolute I bought (Goddamn the Absolutes are sooooooooo beautiful). 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: May 30, 2010, 12:55:31 PM
And that's the tragic thing too.  I love his older stuff, like the ones you just mentioned.  Hell, Absolute Hush was the first Absolute I bought (Goddamn the Absolutes are sooooooooo beautiful). 
I love Absolutes, but I don't see the need when it's smaller arcs, like Hush or Green Lantern Rebirth. I can understand the need for Absolute Watchmen, or Absolute Sandman, but why make such a huge book for something slimmer than my tongue?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:19 AM
I love Absolutes, but I don't see the need when it's smaller arcs, like Hush or Green Lantern Rebirth. I can understand the need for Absolute Watchmen, or Absolute Sandman, but why make such a huge book for something slimmer than my tongue?

Cause it looks beautiful on display.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:47 AM
Cause it looks beautiful on display.
But it takes up shelfspace when you could store about 5 regular comic arcs in there. =P

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: June 18, 2010, 07:02:19 PM
Whos ever read Nightwatch?

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 07:03:46 PM
For some reson he seems..familiar

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: June 18, 2010, 07:08:24 PM
I think he may have guest starred in Spider man.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: June 18, 2010, 07:09:53 PM
I donĀ“t read comics...
Did he appear in any of the animated series?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: June 18, 2010, 08:04:32 PM
Whos ever read Nightwatch?

That's 90's XXX-TREEEEEM, right? It all looks the same. =P

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: June 18, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
Almost like Night Thrasher.  Of course, I liked the New Warriors.