GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 207476

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1175 on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:10 AM
I suspected that a Green Lantern was gonna be the one.  I just didn't know exactly who and I feared that it would have been Kyle or, for whatever crazy ass reason, Guy.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1176 on: June 11, 2012, 08:01:19 PM
Figured I should ask this here.

During the past month or so, I've been reading cosmic Marvel stuff. So far I've read pretty much every major event since Annhilation up to the Thanos Imperative, and I already "have" Annhilators and I plan on reading Annhilators: Earthfall too (if I'm honest, it's mostly for the Rocket Raccoon and Groot side stories >.>). Where do I go from there though?

Speaking of Groot, how the hell did he go from being able to speak full, coherent sentences, to only being able to say "I am Groot" or similar? It just sorta happened and I never got why or if it's just a retcon for no reason.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2012, 05:35:21 AM
I just need to feel the need to vent a little on the Flash's  broke base. Newsrama just posited the "Barry and Wally" question on Facebook for their preview of The Flash (vol. 4) #11 and the response is the typical firestorm (har har) between both factions, but it seems to be the Wally fans that bother me the most. The typical response is "Barry is boring! Wally all the way!" and I am beginning to think that whatever potential Wally had as a character sputtered out by the end of Geoff Johns' first run. While I admit that bringing back Barry after he died saving the universe in Crisis on Infinite Earths was not the wisest move DC made, Wally had died (i.e. went to the Speed Force or "elsewhere") three times in Flash (vol. 2)  #100, Flash (vol. 2) #150, and Infinite Crisis #4. That little detail started to make me wonder why Wally got to escape but Barry Allen/Max Mercury/Johnny Quick could not. The "official" explanation that DC gives us is because of Wally and Linda Park's love for one another but should Barry and Iris's love be as strong? Should Johnny Quick's love for his daughter be enough? Was Mark Waid trying to tell us, albeit indirectly, that Wally was the "chosen one", which I find a big plot contrivance that cheapened Wally and any character progress he made.

There is also the abortive 2007 relaunch of Wally's title after Bart Allen's "death." I get the impression that the fans generally revile the twins for being spotlight thieves but I saw from serious flaws in that run. Notably that Bart's death was never addressed after Wally froze Inertia; they never addressed the Rogues' complicity in the murder; none of the supporting characters from the earlier run returned. Even Johns' used the supporting cast from the Baron and Messner-Loebs' runs to some effect. The whole mess left me wondering if Wally finally hit a dead end as a character in the comics. He's awesome in other media like the DCAU Justice League and Young Justice but I cannot bring myself to give a care for him in the comics.

"Team Wally" is a noisy bunch but do they even have a clue of what to do with him after the cluster [tornado fang] that was the 2007 relaunch?

Posted on: July 20, 2012, 12:02:24 PM
I am just wondering, does anyone think that DC and Marvel's attempts to garner attention and spoil story details for a momentary bump in sales is getting annoying? It is not like it will sell a million copies of any given issue. Someone better tell them the speculation market died in the mid 1990s. Just as the poor sap who bought a hundred copies of Rob Liefeld's Youngblood #1.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2012, 06:36:56 PM
So what do you guys think bout this new Lantern that's gonna come out. The one that looks like Kickass with a gun.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1179 on: November 17, 2012, 12:34:40 PM
So umm... you guys hear what's happening with the Guardians of the Galaxy? I know some of you like them, sooo...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Steve McNiven about his GotG redesigns.

"I'm trying to re-design the whole team here," the writer said of his approach to redesigning the team in a recent interview with Newsarama. "My approach to the designs was to match them to the characters and to update the look. Double-breasted jackets and outer space adventure don't really fit these days."

"I have been in touch with the movie studio guys and we are all tossing design ideas around, so hopefully we can have some unity between the movie and comic looks."

And Bendis is apparently writing them now.

That alone makes me feel bad for anybody who's a fan of this series.
I guess it's time for me to finally get on reading GotG... but not this new one, because it's [tornado fang]ing BENDIS.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1180 on: November 17, 2012, 05:41:23 PM
Heh, I don't blame you.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1181 on: November 17, 2012, 06:35:50 PM
Marvel really has been trying to push GotG as a major franchise with the upcoming film, why do I have this creeping feeling that it might backfire?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #1182 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41:03 AM
Hey guys, did you hear about the new amazing development in the main line of Spiderman comics?
Doc Ock switched bodies with Peter.
And Peter died (in Doc Ock's body).
Now Doc Ock will be Spiderman.
And Peter.

Amazing isn't it?

Wait...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1183 on: December 18, 2012, 06:01:25 AM
....I need to catch up on my Spidey reading, cause that sounds awful!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1184 on: December 18, 2012, 07:51:46 AM
Thank heaven Scarlet Spider has been solid, even with the absence of Ben Reilly.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1185 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:23 AM
... What the hell have they done with what once was my favourite Marvel character? It just never ends.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1186 on: December 19, 2012, 02:25:34 AM
It really sounds "Clone Saga" bad with the convoluted body-switching and whatnot.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1187 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:44 AM
About as bad as selling his soul to the devil?  8D    ..Nah, but there's that issue on the DC side with Starfire, you know, the one who seems more useful animated than she does in paperback these days..? I sometimes wonder how many characters did DC have again, as that's twice as many as the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, and more crazy.

Same can be asked about the Marvel side, but with Rocket Raccoon being in the spotlight again (contributions POSSIBLY due to MvC3 and the next Avengers movie being in space), but I'm probably gonna guess and be wrong that Marvel's colorful cast seems to have a more controlled population than DC.

Aaaaand who remembers Wonder Woman's OTHER sidekicks, Wonder Tot and Wonder Chick? Man.. the silver age was bonkers.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1188 on: December 27, 2012, 05:42:13 AM
So I finally read ASM #700. I gotta say, I'm at a loss for words. It might even be [tornado fang]ing stupider than One More Day. Despite how much I hated hated HATED OMD, at least it has SOMEWHAT of a [tornado fang]ing purpose, no matter how stupid it was. This....I don't know why this is happening. It makes no [tornado fang]ing sense to do this. Doc Ock's reasoning for wanting to be a "Superior Spider-Man" is just....I don't know. I-I just don't [tornado fang]ing know.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1189 on: December 27, 2012, 06:46:26 AM
How do you think it compares to the equally reviled Clone Saga? Granted, Ben Reilly was a better Spider-Man than Doc Ock will ever be because, well, he was a clone of Peter.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1190 on: December 27, 2012, 07:17:47 AM
It does remind me of it, and anything that reminds me of the Clone Saga is a bad thing. Spider-Island sucked ass too.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1191 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:01 AM
It's amazing... they found a way to top OMD. That takes some skilled dumbassery. I wasn't sure that it could be done, but they managed it. Impressive, for all the very wrong reasons.

Speaking of which, is this their way around OMD? Really? Oi.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1192 on: January 04, 2013, 09:23:57 PM
Ooh hoo, hoo! Look what I have found. A Street Fighter comic book before Street Fighter.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1193 on: January 08, 2013, 01:56:45 AM

I like how they're not even trying to hide that it won't last.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1194 on: January 08, 2013, 03:48:22 AM
Not too surprised.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1195 on: February 22, 2013, 10:16:05 PM
Speculation: Could Marvel be planning its own answer to "Crisis on Infinite Earths?"

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1196 on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:30 AM
Hold on, I thought that the Skrull war was the answer to Crisis?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1197 on: November 09, 2013, 08:32:02 AM
So how do you all feel about this happening?

Supergirl's gonna become a Red Lantern. Apparently she's gonna be removed from the Super family "permanently".

Now, to me, it works, I mean she's been angry ever since she landed on Earth. What DOESN'T work for me, is removing her "permanently" (Read: a couple of years at most, this [parasitic bomb] can't last) and deciding to take an angry character and make her an angrier, plasma vomiting character.

feels like a waste if this is where they are gonna toss her.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1198 on: November 09, 2013, 08:35:02 AM
We'll see how long it lasts. Still though, it's an interesting idea.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1199 on: November 16, 2013, 07:37:46 AM
With the way things have been lately, why not?