GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208414

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1150 on: February 23, 2012, 04:36:47 AM
Recently started reading Invincible.

Liking it so far, I think I'll continue.

Invincible is very good, from the beginning huge graphic novel I borrowed from my friend!

what about X men Evolution? I thought that was pretty good too.

The first season is kinda weak but overall yeah it's a pretty solid show.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1151 on: February 23, 2012, 06:43:00 AM
I only read two volumes of Invincible myself but I need to buy more volumes.

@Protoman Blues Why does Superman get deconstructed a lot in comics?

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1152 on: February 23, 2012, 06:52:38 AM

Been hanging around TV Tropes lately? I saw a how topic devoted to that question on their forums. :P

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1153 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:37 PM

Cause he's Superman. He's the first, the one a lot measure up against.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1154 on: February 24, 2012, 02:05:27 AM
What else are you going to do with him? Attack him? He's invulnerable. Threaten his loved ones? He'll freeze breath your face off. Use one of his weaknesses? [sonic slicer] please. He'll just go so fast he goes back in time

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1155 on: February 24, 2012, 05:32:49 AM
Use one of his weaknesses? [sonic slicer] please. He'll just go so fast he goes back in time

In the sixties, yes. But Supes has gotten slower in his old age.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1156 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:10 AM
In the sixties, yes. But Supes has gotten slower in his old age.

Haha, by slower you mean "not god" and all that!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1157 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:32 PM
Haha, by slower you mean "not god" and all that!
I heard he also pulled a hernia what he attempted to tow the Moon on a chain. Maybe he should let the younger guys like Captain Marvel do the heavy lifting now.

Also, my copy of "Justice League: Doom" shipped from Amazon. Happiness!

Posted on: February 24, 2012, 09:51:43 AM
Found this review of the first DCnU Flash arc and it makes me regret not picking it up (there's the hardcover coming out in August but...) Nice that they finally got the Flash back on track after has has been a very rough six years for the character.

Fury of Firestorm on the other hand, I dropped it simply because there is very little to like. The overall premise of the Firestorm protocols is interesting enough (as is the new Pozhar) but I strongly dislike the characterization of Ronnie Raymond and Jason Rusch.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1158 on: February 27, 2012, 11:13:41 PM
Wait, you HAVEN'T been reading The Flash? Holy crap, it's AWESOME!! Not only did I like the story, but it's only under Batwoman for the best art in comics right now. Francis is incredible!

And Fury of Firestorm was absolutely garbage. I stopped caring after the 2nd issue. They managed to do the impossible and make Ronnie & Jason even more insufferable together then they were in Brightest Day.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1159 on: February 28, 2012, 01:31:14 AM
Wait, you HAVEN'T been reading The Flash? Holy crap, it's AWESOME!! Not only did I like the story, but it's only under Batwoman for the best art in comics right now. Francis is incredible!
Not only that he's been on schedule for these past six months when a lot of other artists have difficultly keeping up. He's really bringing his "A" game this time.

And Fury of Firestorm was absolutely garbage. I stopped caring after the 2nd issue. They managed to do the impossible and make Ronnie & Jason even more insufferable together then they were in Brightest Day.
You know it's bad when a longtime fan of ol' Matchstick can't defend it. As I said, I liked some stuff (and I forgot to mention that I kind of like old supporting cast member Cliff Carmichael becoming a snarky mercenary) it's horrible on the whole. What really gets me is the senseless violence, remember the first issue where Cliff and Co. tortured a scientist and shot up a High School. I'm better off reading the original Gerry Conway-penned issues.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #1160 on: February 29, 2012, 04:03:57 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here, but is it me or is Superman -extremely- selfish? I think I agree with Lex's opinion about the fortress of solitude. Superman could advance humanity by thousands of years, even cure diseases but he keeps it to himself. His actions save lives but when ever it comes down to something he really wants out of a situation he throws out the more responsible choice for a outcome that HE wants. Even if Batman tells him "Bad idea. Don't do this." I could be wrong, but is it part of his character to allow his powers to get to his head sometimes and make a decision because he has the power to do it?

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #1161 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23:11 PM
That may be but Ree dRichards can attest, some of the technology may not for practical use yet. Not to mention, there is the all to familiar 'Mankind is not yet ready'  adage.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1162 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:00 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here, but is it me or is Superman -extremely- selfish? I think I agree with Lex's opinion about the fortress of solitude. Superman could advance humanity by thousands of years, even cure diseases but he keeps it to himself. His actions save lives but when ever it comes down to something he really wants out of a situation he throws out the more responsible choice for a outcome that HE wants. Even if Batman tells him "Bad idea. Don't do this." I could be wrong, but is it part of his character to allow his powers to get to his head sometimes and make a decision because he has the power to do it?

I can't remember if it's ever been addressed in the comic or not, but in the cartoon Superman gave Prof. Hamilton & Star Labs access to a lot of his tech for study.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1163 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:21 AM
That makes Lex a bit of a hypocrite, doesn't it? He has the brains and technology to advance humanity and cure disease yet he uses it to advance his grudge again Superman because the Man of Steel bruised his precious ego. Maybe, we have a justification there.

The same logic can apply to Iron Man and why he doesn't mass produce his armor. Though I must concede that Tony Stark is using his repulsor technology to build cars, airships, and body armor (i.e. that forcefield vest that deflects bullets.)

Posted on: February 29, 2012, 11:50:46 AM
Well, Young Justice returned as part of CN's "DC Nation" block. Any impressions on the show now that it is nearing the end of the first season? I found it nicely animated and eloquently casted but only average in terms of character and story. One of the fan complaints that really irks me is how Superman treats Superboy. Most of them are ranting that Supes is acting like a deadbeat, but do they really expect him to immediately accept a clone created in a lab without his knowledge or consent? That strikes me as--to be blunt--stupid.

Part of me is irked at the noticeable lack of Firestorm in favor Captain Atom (who I never to a shine to *rimshot*) but at least ol' matchstick was front and center in BatB a couple times.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1164 on: March 06, 2012, 06:13:00 PM
I have yet to fully watch the series. I probably will once it's complete and I buy the DVD's and such, so otherwise I cannot tell you anything!

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1165 on: April 28, 2012, 04:45:21 AM
I just had to share this because I am so giddy right now; I was at the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo (which focuses more on the "entertainment" than the "comic" these days) and commissioned the legendary George Perez to draw a sketch of the Ronnie Raymond/Martin Stein. It is nothing incredibly special but a Perez's first DC work  was a Firestorm backup in the Flash and he drew the character in Justice League of America. He also affectionately called him "ol' knucklehead" when I asked.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1166 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:15 AM
Very cool! That's awesome

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1168 on: May 22, 2012, 06:56:29 AM
I'll admit, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.  Part of me doesn't care, but the purist part of me does, but the purist part is being berated by the politically-correct part.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1169 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:16 AM
Wasnt Grant Morrison saying a while ago that he found the concept of Batman "utterly gay"?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1170 on: May 22, 2012, 06:34:10 PM
Yeah. Morrison is crazy though! XD

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #1171 on: May 22, 2012, 08:42:48 PM