GENERAL COMIC BOOK THREAD (MANGA NOT ALLOWED)

Rin · 208451

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1125 on: February 07, 2012, 07:09:59 AM
To each their own. I wouldn't wipe my ass with it.

I look at it as a reason why people with business degrees shouldn't get involved with editorial. Why else would Marvel take what was supposed to be a six-month storyline and extend it to two years with no real game plan?  o//////o There were some good stories and ideas there but there was far too little wheat for the amount of chaff you got.

-The whole virtual reality and cyberspace plot (from around the time the Spider-Man titles temporarily changed to Scarlet Spider) sounded cool to me as an eleven-year-old in 1995 when the Internet was new and shiny, but now reads as insipid garbage now. 

-Making Ben Reilly the "original" Spider-Man and Peter the clone was a horrible decision and understandably torqued off a lot fans. The only reason why I bought it was because I was an impressionable kid who was starting to buy Spider-Man comics. (Though my mom did buy me a copy of Spectacular Spider-Man #155 back in 1989-- but my main exposure was still the 60s Spider-Man cartoon at the time.)

-Ugh. Maximum Clonage. Ugh! 'Nuff said.

Mind if I ask you what your first exposure to Spider-Man in the comics was, PB? I'm guessing it was earlier than mine.

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1126 on: February 07, 2012, 07:17:06 AM
The original Spidey comics. My dad & bro collected a lot of comics and I would read them from the beginning to the current. It's how I read the majority of my comics before I started wasting my money & space on my own.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
  • Don't sweat the technique.
    • View Profile
Reply #1127 on: February 07, 2012, 07:20:10 AM
WHOA! That was a hell of an accident. I meant to say

I don't like what happened in OMIT or OMD, or BND for the most part.

My mistake on that part. Strike that one from the record.  :| I do not like that garbage. (Shows you should proof read, ladies and gentlemen.)

PB, fair enough on the decrease of Peter's intelligence. I think the highest mature decision he's made lately was Spider-Island's "chance" for him to get rid of his powers. And he responded with "Why would I do that? One way or another, these powers are a gift. Getting rid of them would be irresponsible. My uncle raised me better than that."  Again, my bad on that one.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1128 on: February 07, 2012, 07:29:20 AM
WHOA! That was a hell of an accident. I meant to say

My mistake on that part. Strike that one from the record.  :| I do not like that garbage. (Shows you should proof read, ladies and gentlemen.)

PB, fair enough on the decrease of Peter's intelligence. I think the highest mature decision he's made lately was Spider-Island's "chance" for him to get rid of his powers. And he responded with "Why would I do that? One way or another, these powers are a gift. Getting rid of them would be irresponsible. My uncle raised me better than that."  Again, my bad on that one.

Haha, no worries. Judging by the wording, I knew what you meant. XD

And yeah, that was a good part of Spider-Island. Again, I didn't like it, but it's not even close to being as bad as the worst events. I didn't like Spider-Island because I didn't care much for the story as a whole. But that's a simple matter of one's taste. OMD & OMiT are absolute abominations of not just writing, but total character destruction, all for the glorification of Quesada's moronic ego & ideas. That's the real problem with it. There's no purpose to do it other than because he wants it to be that way, and he has no problem spitting in the face of 20 years of Spider-Man history and fans in order to get what he wants.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1129 on: February 07, 2012, 07:39:11 AM
I don't know what I think about the new story coming up though. "Ends of the Earth." Looks like he's making with the heavy metal now what with his resources at Horizon. Does that mean his speed and agility isn't reliable here?

Outside of that, I've been reading into two other series. Aquaman and Ms. Marvel. Ms. Marvel is... okay so far. Not breath taking just okay. Aquaman is [tornado fang]ing awesome. I did not think that of all DC heroes, Aquaman---Flipper's best friend---would be becoming one of my favorites.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1130 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:53 AM
Yeah, we'll see what develops with it. One thing I want to see more is his "Spider-Style Kung Fu" in action.

There are a lot of good DC titles out there now. Aquaman is indeed [tornado fang]ing awesome. Snyder's Batman is absolutely amazing.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1131 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:57 PM
PB, do you have any specific recommendations for Spider-Man since Dan Slott took the reins as sole writer? I noticed from my brief skimming of certain issues that he has got Spider-Man's voice down pretty well and I'm curious.

Also, when did Phil Urich become such a complete [dark hold]? He came across as more of a slacker in the Clone Saga trades and not outright villainous as the new Hobgoblin.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1132 on: February 08, 2012, 12:25:43 AM
I've been off & on again with Slott. Honestly, I like Spidey more in every other book but his main one. Avenging Spider-Man is fun. Spidey in FF is awesome.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1133 on: February 08, 2012, 01:58:23 AM
Quesada

Quesadilla is a befitting name for him -- as he just throws multiple stories together into a squishy mess of moldy cheese and expired sour cream sandwiched into a crispy story line that will leave the reader with a bitter after taste.

Honestly, might as well look into Spider Island eventually. Speaking of which, the Spider-Man movie adaption seems to be more along the lines of "The Amazing Spider-Man", as the logo's different comparingly to the original trilogy.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1134 on: February 08, 2012, 03:36:21 PM
Dan DiDio and Joe "Quesadilla" are probably the two most reviled figures in the industry right now (if you ask the fans anyway.) Hell, I don't think Jim Shooter ever got that much vitriol. Then again, Shooter actually produced more good results from his heavy-handed editing.

And is it me or is "DC New" turning into early 90s Marvel? They hired Tom DeFalco, Howard Mackie, and Scott Lobdell to write Legion Lost/Ravager/Teen Titans/Superboy/Red Hood and that's the vibe I get from those books.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1135 on: February 08, 2012, 08:09:54 PM
Quite a few DC books seem like 90's books, and a lot of them for the worse.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1136 on: February 08, 2012, 08:50:55 PM
Teen Titans is a prime example, but I consider it a guilty pleasure.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1137 on: February 09, 2012, 06:54:15 AM
More people need to read Demon Knights. I really don't want that book to get cancelled!

Posted on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:09 PM
I just spend the last 30-40 minutes writing a response to someone on io9 about the changes to Wonder Woman and why DC is doing what they're doing. Heh, this is why I don't go on Comic Book forums and discuss comics with people. XD

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1138 on: February 09, 2012, 03:20:31 PM
I usually go on Comic Bloc to sit back and watch the fireworks myself. Sometimes I will make a flippant comment or two.  :P

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1139 on: February 19, 2012, 03:14:45 PM
I just picked up New Avengers 21 and I liked what I saw. The fight between the New Avengers and Ragnorak was drastic and well executed. What I have a problem with is for some reason people STILL TAKING A LIKING TOWARDS NORMAN OSBORN. For Christ sake, he held a pumpkin bomb up to a little girl's face and threatened to blow her face off if Spider-man didn't gut himself with a stake knife on live TV. How is it that anyone is even going for the whole "I'll protect you for the big, bad heroes who just saved you all from a god of Fear! Who in which wrecked everything and killed millions!" ([tornado fang] you, fear itself.) Worse is the showing of how dumb the people in the Marvel universe are. Being suspicious about people who can fly and shoot eye beams out of their eyes, fine.

Protesting the people trying to help you--you have that right so go where your stupidity takes you. Attacking a mother who is just trying to take her baby to safety because she can fly and said something that made sense? Congratulations Marvel-New York City! You have now been downgraded to Tennessee level of stupid. But, when it's mainly the New Avengers things are going good.....except that The Thing is nowhere in sight. Anyways, it's much better than the main Avengers title.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1140 on: February 19, 2012, 08:02:16 PM
I hate what they're trying to do with Osborn. He's NOT Lex Luthor but they're trying to make him into that.

Offline Ramzal

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1141 on: February 19, 2012, 09:22:17 PM
If anyone is a Lex in Marvel, it'd be Wilson Fisk. And even then, he's a criminal.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1142 on: February 19, 2012, 09:28:16 PM
Exactly. The point is that it's most certainly not Norman Osborn.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1143 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:59 AM
Osborn is just the nutcase who fired a lucky shot at the Skrull empress... and the United States government handed him control of SHIELD (reformed into HAMMER) because of it. I'm of the school of thought that the denizens of the Marvel universe are too stupid to live. Me-- I think Doctor Doom is a better Lex Luthor analogue in some respects because he's a super-genius and rules Latveria so he can flout the law because he has diplomatic immunity. Kingpin is only similar to Lex in that he's both rich and can project a law-abiding image as Wilson Fisk. Lex was never really a crime boss, just a ruthless corporate raider.

On another note, I've been recording a lot of the 90s animated Spider-Man lately and I don't see why it gets a lot of hate. Yeah, it recycles a lot of animation (which the 60s show did even more egregiously) and its quality is below Batman: TAS, and the network censors truncated it by removing realistic handguns and hand-to-hand combat. Yet I think John Semper and his writers did a very good job of condensing the comic storylines. Plus, Christopher Daniel Barnes' delivery of those scripts was fantastic.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1144 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:09 AM
Yeah, it recycles a lot of animation (which the 60s show did even more egregiously) and its quality is below Batman: TAS, and the network censors truncated it by removing realistic handguns and hand-to-hand combat.

Well those are pretty much the main problems. Not only did they re-use a lot of animation, but some of the animation itself was pretty weak, especially the 3D computer imaging stuff. Sometimes it distracted away from the scene. The censorship also didn't help either. Also, I personally don't think the writing was all that good, especially as the show progressed. The Venom saga was handled pretty well though.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1145 on: February 20, 2012, 12:34:21 AM
It was a step up from the stilted dialogue of "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" from what I've seen on YouTube. Then again, animation was still in the ghetto back in the 1980s I shouldn't be too harsh. I try to look at it this way: "90s Spider-Man" was a stepping stone to the much better "Spectular Spider-Man" ("Spider-Man Unlimited" nonwithstanding.) My fondness for the 90s show may be through rose-colored glasses. I only watched up to half-way through "The Sins of the Father" storyline-- when my cut snipped the cable.

Also out curiosity, what's your opinion of the X-Men animated series at the time?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1146 on: February 20, 2012, 04:43:53 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man is probably the best cartoon Spidey's ever had. The problem with the 90's Spidey cartoon is that it had much stronger competition at the time from the Batman cartoon & the X-Men cartoon. The X-Men animated series was extremely well done pretty much for it's entire run until they changed the animation style towards the end.

Offline Pyro

• Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
Reply #1147 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:44 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man is probably the best cartoon Spidey's ever had. The problem with the 90's Spidey cartoon is that it had much stronger competition at the time from the Batman cartoon & the X-Men cartoon. The X-Men animated series was extremely well done pretty much for it's entire run until they changed the animation style towards the end.

Well, the X-Men/Spider-Man team-up "Mutant Agenda" was pure win to me. Especially since they had to fly in the cast of X-Men from Canada to record their lines.

It should also be worth noting that George Buza (who voiced Beast) played a bit part in the movie as the truck driver that drove Rogue to that bar where she met Wolverine. Funny how it's summer time in New York in X-Men/X2, yet it snows in Alberta (where I live, by the way.) What's up with that?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1148 on: February 22, 2012, 02:03:24 PM
Recently started reading Invincible.

Liking it so far, I think I'll continue.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1149 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:00 PM
what about X men Evolution? I thought that was pretty good too.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.