Ghost in the Shell: SAC to Spawn 2 New Manga in Japan

Flame · 1651

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:28 AM
Kodansha has confirmed that it will launch two new manga based on the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex television anime series in December. The anime itself is based on Masamune Shirow's original Ghost in the Shell cyber-police manga. (Shirow's original manga also inspired Mamoru Oshii and Production I.G's two anime films.)

The first of the upcoming manga, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Tachikoma na Hibi, will launch in the January issue of Kodansha's Monthly Young Magazine on December 9. Masayuki Yamamoto is drawing this all-new manga based on Production I.G's 2002 video anime series of the same name. This spinoff series of bonus anime shorts recounted the tongue-in-cheek stories of the Tachikoma AI tanks from the main Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex anime.

The second manga, simply titled Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, will launch in the 2009.02 issue of Kodansha's Weekly Young Magazine on December 14. Yu Kinutani, the creator of the Amon and Shion manga and the artist of the Steamboy, Leviathan, and Pairon manga, will draw this manga version.

Kodansha USA Publishing head Yoshio Irie had revealed in a Publishers Weekly interview last month that his company is planning to release "a new manga version of the TV anime series, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex." Kodansha USA already started republishing Oshii's original Ghost in the Shell manga this fall. Hobby Japan's Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Visual Book and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG Visual Book (2006) included short anthologies of original four-panel gag manga by Eiichirō Mashin (Himuro no Tenchi Fate/school life), Ranma Kusumi (Moon Tarte), Kōji Sugitani (Settoin! Deitappu!!), and others. Dreamworks had licensed the rights from Kodansha to make a proposed 3D live-action film last year. Dreamworks hired Shutter Island writer and executive producer Laeta Kalogridis to adapt the manga.

The same January issue of Monthly Young Magazine with the Tachikoma na Hibi manga is also the magazine's debut issue under its new name; it was previously a bimonthly magazine called Bessatsu Young Magazine. The issue will feature Yuzo Takada's new side story of his well-known 3x3 Eyes manga and Kōji Matsumoto's special 36-page Higanjima side story to tie into this year's live-action film adaptation.

credit ANN

Mmm.. Im kinda excited bout this.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:18 AM
I will be SO picking up these mangas when they hit stateside. clever move, I.G.!

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Mega Greasy Houdini Tek 54321

• B-Class Hunter
  • BOOYAKASHA!!!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:42:24 AM
Must get greasy fingers on the two manga.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 02:39:51 PM
I will be SO picking up these mangas when they hit stateside. clever move, I.G.!
Hell yeah.
Im actually wondering how the movie will be. It cannot be bad really, as the basic Idea is simple enough. Future, people with plug n' play brains- spec ops team. thats all it really is. Plus, the likes of movies sch as the Matrix were heavily inspired by GiTS. the anime pretty much defined the cyberpunk genre.

cant wait till those Mangas get here.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.