What's your most favourite underrated game(s)?

megaman24681012 · 9537

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 11:06:30 PM
Just how do you qualify a game as underrated anyway? Everyone I've spoken to that knows of it says Dark Messiah is indeed awesomesauce, but it didn't sell very well at all.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:08 PM
An underrated game is a game that is not overrated, simply put. It's mostly a popularity thing; an underrated game doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

At least, that's how I see it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 12:11:59 AM
I consider the general impression of public and critics. I can't label underrated a 90 Metacritic game that sold 8 million copies, a game that when I ask people about they go crazy in excitement. The game is loved and successful, it's not underrated.

God Hand received countless mediocre reviews when it was released (including 3.0/10 from IGN) and received horrible word of mouth publicity because of sloppy presentation and insane difficulty. Except it's a very very niche game that does the hardcore brawler thing like no other. This game would never sell 10 million copies because most people don't bother procuring beyond what they hear. And what they hear is that this game is too hard and looks like crap. So it's definitely underrated.

Now, a game like Okami can't be considered underrated, because it got raved by every single person who's played or reviewed it... the 12 of 'em anyway. People only have positive things to say about it. This game had everything to sell zillions of copies. It's just overlooked, like Eternal Darkness.

Of course it's mostly opinion anyway, if you dislike Eternal Darkness you probably consider it overrated... but I try to look at the game for what it is. I can't bring myself to play Guitar Hero for instance, but they're well made games. I can't say they're overrated just because they're not my type.

Just my view on the thing anyway. :)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 12:22:33 AM
First the most part right on, although I would argue that "overlooked" can qualify as "underrated" by itself.  If people aren't buying it, that says that there is a poor or at least indifferent opinion of it by the general public.  Whether that opinion is educated or not is a different issue.

- Actraiser
I don't think ActRaiser is underrated, or at least not the first one.  But hell, they're both awesome anyway.

So, besides that, here's some others that come to mind:

-MegaMan X6 (PS1)
-MegaMan Xtreme2 (GBC)
-MegaMan X Command Mission (GCN)
-Pretty much the entire Legends and ZX series
-Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)
-Godzilla Unleashed (Wii)
-Joe & Mac (SNES)
-Shadow The Hedgehog (GCN; it's no SA2, but it's better than most give it credit for)
-Sonic Adventure 2 (DC; less by the general public and more by the so-called "professional" press)
-Mario Kart Double Dash (GCN)
-Pokemon Colosseum (GCN)
-Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (Wii)
-New Play Control: Mario Power Tennis (Wii; mostly by reviewers who cannot seem to find the Options menu)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 04:21:19 AM
-Shadow The Hedgehog (GCN; it's no SA2, but it's better than most give it credit for)
-Sonic Adventure 2 (DC; less by the general public and more by the so-called "professional" press)
If we're talking underrated Sonic games, we have to talk about Sonic '06. That game was no glitchier than any other Sonic game, & people abhor it. I found it to be all I wanted in a SA3.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 04:22:39 AM
Personally, I think Sonic & the Secret Rings & Sonic Unleashed are underrated as well.  I throughly enjoyed both.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:04 AM
That game was no glitchier than any other Sonic game, & people abhor it.

It was glitchier, and the glitches got in the way of playing the game, becuase they were caused by the shitty physics. Oh, and it was slow as molasses too.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 04:46:07 AM
The glitches in SA & SA2 got in the way of me playing as well. I found them to have weird physics too.

I never really found it to be that slow. I mean, some levels were meant to be, but Sonic's stages were fast. Shadow's were too when you weren't killing dudes, but that was his focus. Silver's a different horse. I liked Blaze in it a lot, though.