Best and Worst Armors?

AquaTeamV3 · 44468

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #50 on: September 04, 2009, 07:34:31 PM
Right well, I think that was it. The tip, a blue X or K I think, hits several times and so can hurt significantly more. Especially compared to the [tornado fang]ing buster...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #51 on: September 04, 2009, 07:57:40 PM
Yeah, hitting someone with the extra "wave" at the end does SLIGHTLY more damage than normal.  I know, it sucks.  So does pretty much everything about Blade Armor's arsenal.

As for X and saber parts, there is the matter of focus.  Not like Zero has access to every buster part, only Buster Plus and Speed Shot.  Nevertheless I can see how perhaps X could have used Saber Plus.

They are, but God damn it are they fun.
Indeed.  Although I find X5 a bit less fun due to......too many reasons for me to explain at the moment.  Let's just say the inner workings of rankings and power-ups irritate me, as well as the fact that Zero's boss AI, Zero's "death", and the standard boss music all blow.  But there are some cool music themes, the armors kick ass, and you can play as Zero and beat the snot out of X.  Also has the most powerful ground-punching move of the series.  So, that's something.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:44 PM
Blade Armor's charge attacks are only good when you combine them with Guard Shell. but even then, they're picky as to when they work effectively or not. you're better off using special weapons, anyway.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #53 on: September 04, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
As for X and saber parts, there is the matter of focus.  Not like Zero has access to every buster part, only Buster Plus and Speed Shot.  Nevertheless I can see how perhaps X could have used Saber Plus.

The only reason Zero can't use the other ones is because he lacks the ability to rapid fire or charge.  X could've used all of them barring Master Saber.  The parts system in X6 makes for some interesting armor setups, though.  My personal favorite is Shadow Armor X with Rapid 5, Speed Shot, Buster +, and Hyper Dash.  I also turn on the Rapid-Fire setting in the options menu, no charge shot here!  You can pretty much level any enemy in sight with this setup, as well as seriously impair some bosses.

Also, is it true that the Falcon armor is toned down further in X6 when the Ultimate Armor code is active?  I've heard this before, but I'm not exactly sure if it's true or not.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:58 PM
Also has the most powerful ground-punching move of the series.  So, that's something.
All of Zero's techniques were awesome. I'm willing to go so far as to say X5 had the best weapon set for Zero.

The only reason Zero can't use the other ones is because he lacks the ability to rapid fire or charge.  X could've used all of them barring Master Saber.
Yea, & then they couldn't've added shot eraser & other such things to armors.

I also turn on the Rapid-Fire setting in the options menu, no charge shot here!
That option is there for children, you know.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: September 04, 2009, 09:09:47 PM

kimooooooooi

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: September 04, 2009, 09:11:26 PM
Yeah, hitting someone with the extra "wave" at the end does SLIGHTLY more damage than normal.  I know, it sucks.  So does pretty much everything about Blade Armor's arsenal.

As for X and saber parts, there is the matter of focus.  Not like Zero has access to every buster part, only Buster Plus and Speed Shot.  Nevertheless I can see how perhaps X could have used Saber Plus.
Indeed.  Although I find X5 a bit less fun due to......too many reasons for me to explain at the moment.  Let's just say the inner workings of rankings and power-ups irritate me, as well as the fact that Zero's boss AI, Zero's "death", and the standard boss music all blow.  But there are some cool music themes, the armors kick ass, and you can play as Zero and beat the snot out of X.  Also has the most powerful ground-punching move of the series.  So, that's something.
Personally I like the unused version of Zero's death better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_JMCXZ6Ho&fmt=18

also, I liked the X5 boss music. >.>

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: September 04, 2009, 09:14:03 PM
The X5 Boss Music is one of the best ever.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #58 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:52 PM

That really doesn't make any sense.

It's not a bad tune by itself, but it just seems out of place.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: September 05, 2009, 12:58:29 AM
Personally I like the unused version of Zero's death better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ_JMCXZ6Ho&fmt=18
I was referring to the scenario, not the music.

So far as a death scene BGM goes, it's really hard to pick a favorite.  I think the whole "forbidden fruit" mentality simply works in favor of whichever one isn't there.

Try playing the Telos version of Return To Zero, though, it's infinitely more gut-wrenching than either one could ever hope to be.

The only reason Zero can't use the other ones is because he lacks the ability to rapid fire or charge.
Perhaps so, but it's not as if other parts couldn't have been adapted for him, in the same manner as Overdrive's effect differs between the two.  Ultimate Buster, for example, could have given Zero a larger shot.

I can also see why X wouldn't be using Saber Extend, it clashes with Blade/Shadow armors.

The parts system in X6 makes for some interesting armor setups, though.
Damn straight.  I've heard of the rapid-fire Shadow setup before, but my personal favorite is Shadow Armor with Ultimate Buster, Buster Plus, Hyper Dash, Jumper, and Overdrive.  Between Overdrive and Shadow's Giga Attack, X can absolutely destroy bosses, while having the charged saber at all times decimates stage enemies.  Only con to this setup is that the Ultimate Buster leaves X disarmed when he sticks to the ceiling (stupid, but nothing can be done).

Also, is it true that the Falcon armor is toned down further in X6 when the Ultimate Armor code is active?  I've heard this before, but I'm not exactly sure if it's true or not.
Nope.  Falcon is toned down equally whether the Ultimate Armor code is active or not.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #60 on: September 05, 2009, 01:18:57 AM
Perhaps so, but it's not as if other parts couldn't have been adapted for him, in the same manner as Overdrive's effect differs between the two.  Ultimate Buster, for example, could have given Zero a larger shot.

Good point.  Gotta love Overdrive; Zero's diarrhea buster pretty much kills everything in sight.  I really had to wonder what the developers were thinking with some of those limited parts, though.  Life Recover and Overdrive are the only useful ones, as I really don't see a point in having free WE for 6 seconds (unless you want to spam your Giga Attack).

Damn straight.  I've heard of the rapid-fire Shadow setup before, but my personal favorite is Shadow Armor with Ultimate Buster, Buster Plus, Hyper Dash, Jumper, and Overdrive.  Between Overdrive and Shadow's Giga Attack, X can absolutely destroy bosses, while having the charged saber at all times decimates stage enemies.  Only con to this setup is that the Ultimate Buster leaves X disarmed when he sticks to the ceiling (stupid, but nothing can be done).

The only problem I had with Ultimate Buster was the awkward delay between shots (that wasn't there in Xtreme 2!).  I always chose Quick Charge over it for this very reason, outside of weapon usage.  The part system here is much better in contrast to the terrible parts system in X5, which prevents me from really enjoying the game; you have to kill yourself X number of times so that the boss gets to level 8, and then you don't even know what part you're gonna get outside of reading a faq.  I think X5 would've been a lot more enjoyable had they scrapped parts entirely.

Personally, I didn't like the fact that they gave you armor at the start of the game in X5-6 either.  I mean, you had the option of playing as normal X, but it still felt like the producers were trying to hold your hand throughout the game IMO.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 01:53:12 AM
The only problem I had with Ultimate Buster was the awkward delay between shots (that wasn't there in Xtreme 2!).
Xtreme2 was godlike, although with the tradeoff that armor didn't apply to it.

But you ought to try Ultimate Buster with charged saber attacks sometime.  The lag time is considerably less, almost nonexistent with Shadow Armor.  Case in point: Take on Nightmare Zero; you're fast enough that you can block both buster shots and still jump the saber wave.

As for X's buster shots, yes Quick Charge is faster than Ultimate Buster's lag, but I just like the feel of firing charged shots without actually having to charge.

The part system here is much better in contrast to the terrible parts system in X5, which prevents me from really enjoying the game; you have to kill yourself X number of times so that the boss gets to level 8, and then you don't even know what part you're gonna get outside of reading a faq.
FINALLY SOMEBODY ELSE SEES THE LIGHT!

Personally, I didn't like the fact that they gave you armor at the start of the game in X5-6 either.  I mean, you had the option of playing as normal X, but it still felt like the producers were trying to hold your hand throughout the game IMO.
In X5, maybe, especially considering they gave you the Plasma Charge (That *SO* should have been Stock...).  But X6 is tough enough that the armor really feels like standard.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: September 05, 2009, 02:01:14 AM
But X6 is tough enough that the armor really feels like standard.

It's not really tough enough, it's more that the levels are designed so you would use armor, instead of going through it as plain old X.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #63 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:14 AM
In X5, maybe, especially considering they gave you the Plasma Charge (That *SO* should have been Stock...).  But X6 is tough enough that the armor really feels like standard.
It's not really tough enough, it's more that the levels are designed so you would use armor, instead of going through it as plain old X.

I actually have a file where I 100%'ed the game with Normal X only.  It's not really too difficult, the only thing that bugs me is the fact that some stages outright require you to be able to air-dash in order to complete them.  Take Gate's Lab for example, you have to have a certain combo in order to pass the spiked walls, and then another to get to Gate himself.  Is it difficult? No.  I just don't like backtracking.  Now Extreme Mode is an entirely different beast altogether...

As for X5's armor, I just felt that the whole Force Armor at the start was a little much, especially the plasma charge.  What I find interesting is that in X5-X6, the plasma shot doesn't do residual damage on bosses, it just makes this irritating pinging sound upon contact, something that wasn't fixed until X8.  I would've preferred Stock as well, it does a much better job of distinguishing itself from the Ultimate Armor, which is basiccally the same thing with an infinite Nova Strike tacked on to it.  This begs the question of why X opts to use it on you in X5, considering the fact that he never bothers to use the Nova Strike in the first place.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: September 05, 2009, 03:08:13 AM
it just makes this irritating pinging sound upon contact,

That [parasitic bomb] was annoying as hell.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: September 05, 2009, 03:46:13 AM
Damn right.
At first it was weird, but, it grew on me.

also, while X6 might have a better parts system, I didnt quite like how the number of parts you could equip depended on your rank. thankfully, X6 is the only one to have that.
mmm. all this talk of X6 makes me want to go back and play it. (I never finished my naked X only run...

Another flaw X6 has, well, I dont know if this is actually true, but Its what Ive heard many times,
that there is a way to get the Black armor the legit way, which is by Beating Nightmare Zero at Level 4, but, due to the way the game is set up, it is impossible to get Nightmare Zero at Level 4, because thats when Gate shows up. and Nightmare Zero is replaced by Highmax.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: September 05, 2009, 05:25:00 AM
That really doesn't make any sense.
Yes 8it does. Children need a crutch to hit a button quickly. which is one of the oldest staples of gaming.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: September 05, 2009, 04:47:54 PM
Actually, I gotta side with Aqua on that.  Rapid-fire disables charging, thus making bosses a pain in the ass.

Now Extreme Mode is an entirely different beast altogether...
You'll have to pardon my comments on difficulty, I *ALWAYS* play in Extreme Mode.  My ego does not allow me to play on any but the maximum level in any X-series game.

I would've preferred Stock as well, it does a much better job of distinguishing itself from the Ultimate Armor, which is basiccally the same thing with an infinite Nova Strike tacked on to it.  This begs the question of why X opts to use it on you in X5, considering the fact that he never bothers to use the Nova Strike in the first place.
Took the words out of my mouth.

also, while X6 might have a better parts system, I didnt quite like how the number of parts you could equip depended on your rank. thankfully, X6 is the only one to have that.
At least X6's "rank" is nothing more than collectible items to effectively level-up your character.  Not like X5 where you're punished for killing enemies for some god-forsaken reason.

Another flaw X6 has, well, I dont know if this is actually true, but Its what Ive heard many times,
that there is a way to get the Black armor the legit way, which is by Beating Nightmare Zero at Level 4, but, due to the way the game is set up, it is impossible to get Nightmare Zero at Level 4, because thats when Gate shows up. and Nightmare Zero is replaced by Highmax.
I've heard of that, but cannot verify it.  Black Armor is pretty much Zero's equivalent to X's Ultimate, which has no standard unlock method (although I must admit the fork at the bottom of the spike shaft in Sigma's stage always looked suspicious to me), so lacking one for it doesn't strike me as odd.  Still, it'd have been nice to have Ultimate Armor and Black Zero in the same file.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: September 06, 2009, 08:14:14 AM
Yes 8it does. Children need a crutch to hit a button quickly. which is one of the oldest staples of gaming.
Haha drunk typing

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:33 AM
Was it really necessary to quote your own comment? Theres an edit button for a reason. ::)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: September 07, 2009, 08:47:01 AM
He's trying to be cool. Let him keep trying.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: September 08, 2009, 07:14:34 AM
He's trying to be cool. Let him keep trying.
Can you back the [tornado fang] off & not be a flaming douche bag to me every time you see me? I've not had any beef with you.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: September 08, 2009, 07:21:04 AM
I cant help it. Its my name.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 04:30:11 AM
Yea, I noticed your Elton John-esque grace there Flame.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 04:40:16 AM
*sings*