AquaTeamV3 · 44466

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:00 AM
I think everyone is awfully hard on the X3 Armor's charge. I mean, each of the 3 little things is a full charge shot aqs far as I can tell, & they've served me well many times.

The separate shots' damage is equivalent to a normal charge shot, but it's less efficient overall.  The overlapping shot is a bit stronger, but it's still too slow and requires way too much setup.  Plus, it makes the Z-Saber a lot harder to use; it's much easier to charge to a 3nd level than a 6th.

The X1 Armor had a crappy charge shot.
As far as I'm aware, only one of the shots hit bosses.

X1's buster was pretty nice IMO.  Even though only one of the shots hit bosses (sans Bospider), it stull does as much as a regular charge shot.  Plus, it 'farts' energy behind you when you fire it, which allow you to decimate thing that happen to be back there.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 01:55:11 AM
X1's buster is my definite favorite.  That being said, boss Damage Barrier mechanics bit it in the ass.  If the X1 buster existed with X2's physics, it'd rock all.

Yes, X1's enhanced buster does only normal charged-shot damage.  However, two things can potentially screw you in addition to that.  One is the hang-time that allows the exceptionally quick-thumbed for fire an uncharged shot ahead of the spread, thus doing minimal damage to a boss and the Damage Barrier blocking the charged shot.  The other is the fact that at point-blank the shockwave from the buster hits in addition to the spread.  This little trick is what lets you wipe out Mega Tortoise in a single shot, but against bosses, it does minimal damage and activates their Damage Barrier, blocking the spread completely.

Think of it as the polar opposite of Gaia Armor's shot (worthless against enemies but absolutely rapes against bosses).

Anyways, to the original topic at hand:

Best Armor: Gotta go with X1.  I can't say no to my favorite buster.  But I'll give a runner-up to Shadow Armor.  Equip Ultimate Buster, Overdrive, and Hyper Dash, and the thing is unstoppable.

Worst Armor:  Blade Armor.  X3's buster may have been absolute suck, but at least it had a double-air-dash and added a Z-Saber wave (yes, that's an armor ability; X gets only a close-range blade unarmored).  Blade has an equally crappy buster and considerably less redeeming points.  It looks cool, and the concept was cool, but the thing simply lacks power all-around.  Even the Giga Attack is weak.

I have a long list of favorites to give honorable mentions to, though.

Falcon Armor - One of X5's few redeeming points, give it Speedster and you can REALLY fly.
Gaia Armor - Crippled by the game design, the buster would EASILY be worth the slowed dash if death-ray-hell wasn't the first stage you visit after completing it.  The insta-charge absolutely destroys bosses.
X-Fire - Kickass design overall.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 02:23:12 AM
The separate shots' damage is equivalent to a normal charge shot, but it's less efficient overall.  The overlapping shot is a bit stronger, but it's still too slow and requires way too much setup.  Plus, it makes the Z-Saber a lot harder to use; it's much easier to charge to a 3nd level than a 6th.
I don't think it's fair to count the Saber as part of the armor. By that logic the X2 Armor would win flat out because of Agile's ceiling version.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 02:26:10 AM
The Saber is part of the armor. more actually, a part of X, once you get it. the armor lets it shoot out a saber wave. meaning it can be used as part of it.
By that logic the X2 Armor would win flat out because of Agile's ceiling version.
what? You can say that if you wish. This thread counts secret armors and such. (like the Gold armor in X3, or the ultimate armor)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:25 AM
The armor in X1 shoots a Hadoken, & the armor in X2 has a Shoryuken. Since you can't get these without the armor first, I think they should count as part of armor as much as any Saber.

Does the Saber not count as part of the Falcon Armor?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 03:55:24 AM
The armor in X1 shoots a Hadoken, & the armor in X2 has a Shoryuken. Since you can't get these without the armor first, I think they should count as part of armor as much as any Saber.

You can count the hidden moves in that sense, but the Saber is not a part of the Falcon Armor. X got it in X5, not X6, and all it was, was a crappy version of the Force/Fourth armor considering the abilities were watered down to just an invincible air-dash, not even really 'flight'. Hovering was a better ability than Air-Dash since you could control yourself better.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 04:51:03 AM
Falcon in X5 was pretty boss, though.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 05:42:40 AM

the X3 saber can be obtained with no armor. The armor just makes it shoot out, while otherwise, it works the way Zero's does.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:04 AM
I know.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 07:22:32 AM
I'm going to go with the RX armor.  Evil X is hardcore.

In game, I loved the Hyper Armor.  Sure the buster was slow, but that wouldn't hold you back with the right timing, and you could use it to really tear through stages by dashing along behind one big shot.  Though that buster was more looks than performance.  The other abilities of the armor though make up for it.  Double air dashing, regeneration, damage barrier, and giga crush.  The helmet is pretty useless unless you haven't played in a while and forgot where things are though.

The customization aspect of the neutral armor was great, but the bonuses for matching whole sets kind of punished you for customizing.  And for some reason I'm fairly fond of the blade armor.  Not sure why really, I just find it fun to play around with.

AntiBunny

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 08:03:02 AM
One is the hang-time that allows the exceptionally quick-thumbed for fire an uncharged shot ahead of the spread, thus doing minimal damage to a boss and the Damage Barrier blocking the charged shot.
Is "Damage Barrier" the official term for the Mercy Invincibility that MegaMan and the stage bosses get after each hit?  Or are you referring more to whether other shots pass through or get absorbed by whomever's getting hit?  Or is it how in some games, bosses only get invincibility after a strong enough attack?  I know that in Battle Network, most Navis each have their own "threshold" of attack power where doing over a certain minimum amount of damage to them will stun them for a moment and give them a couple of seconds of invincibility.  (I've been noting those minimum values down for my Battle Network 1 TAS.  In some cases I want to attack just under the threshold so I can keep delivering attacks quickly, and in other cases it's helpful to stun the boss to reset its own attack, or because weaker chips just aren't fast enough anyway.)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 08:07:48 PM
Not really an official term, it's just exactly what it sounds like. Damage shield, or temp invulnerability, etc what have you.
The ways of bypassing it isn't inherently part of the concept.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 03, 2009, 02:24:45 AM
I always called them invincibility frames, because that's what they are.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 07:49:05 AM
I call it a pain in the ass :\

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:12 AM
ZX throws them out the window though.
<3 ZX/OX rolling slash. it pwns so hard.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 09:20:11 PM
Back to armors: I think the best Buster part is Zero's from MHX, because there's nothing better than a bigger stronger charge shot.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
No.
Why? the original upgrade from X1, was much better than a simple red charge shot.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 01:40:44 AM
Certainly looks more badass.  I'm curious, being unable to play MHX, can Mega Tortoise survive that red buster shot?

I don't think it's fair to count the Saber as part of the armor. By that logic the X2 Armor would win flat out because of Agile's ceiling version.
It's not that the Saber itself is part of the armor, X can obtain it independent of the armor.  It's that the armor's effects on the Z-Saber are as valid as its effects on anything else (Dashing, X-Buster, special weapons).  Unarmored, X charges the Z-Saber in about half the time but is limited to a close-range slash, takes about half a boss gauge down.  Armored, X takes a much longer charge time to use the Z-Saber, but can fire an energy wave, which does extra residual damage after impact (although this can really screw you over against Doppler).

The Falcon Armor has no effect on the Z-Saber.

Is "Damage Barrier" the official term for the Mercy Invincibility that MegaMan and the stage bosses get after each hit?
That's what I'm referring to, although I wouldn't call it an "official term" without a grain of salt.  It's actually the name of the Power-Up Part in X5/X6 that extends your invulnerability time in such a situation.  I use that name to refer to the invulnerability time itself as it is the only official-sourced term that I'm aware of to be used for that phenomenon.  Even though the name was given to a part and not to the actual event, it's as close as we've got.

ZX throws them out the window though.
<3 ZX/OX rolling slash. it pwns so hard.
Not as hard as Screw Halberd.  Pity Leganchor.  And Thetis.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #43 on: September 04, 2009, 02:23:12 AM
Back to armors: I think the best Buster part is Zero's from MHX, because there's nothing better than a bigger stronger charge shot.
I still prefer X2's; two shots are always better than one, particularly when the second breaks the damage barrier!

Also, I was playing X3 earlier, and I was surprised at how much use you can get out of the Leg part + chip combo.  You can actually do some pretty nice stuff against bosses, particularly Sigma's first form.  2 upwards air-dashes are enough to get you over the entire fireball barrage, which is the only hard part of the fight IMO.  The Legs are the only armor part that I bother to pick up (the arms are required for everything else), but they are pretty effective at what they do.  The gold armor is useful, but I've always found it ugly myself.

And Chronoforce!  8)

My YouTube Channel

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: September 04, 2009, 02:34:21 AM

The Falcon Armor has no effect on the Z-Saber.
But the BLADE armor on the other hand... Actually incorporates it into its Giga, which coincidentally, is a nod towards X3's saber wave.
and Shadow, well the main weapon IS the saber.

Yes, that's true, that's true... Actually though, pity ANYTHING that MOVES, with the screw halberd.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 03:39:20 AM
BTW, is there any real benefit to charging the saber with the Blade armor?  IIRC, the charged slash deflects projectiles (like Dynamo's blades; Zero's erase part does this as well), but does it do anything else noteworthy?  Also, this kinda makes me wonder why X couldn't use Saber enhancement parts in X6, especially since Zero could use buster upgrades.

My YouTube Channel

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 06:54:10 AM
It's actually the name of the Power-Up Part in X5/X6 that extends your invulnerability time in such a situation.
WAHAHAH!  So not only do they acknowledge the Mercy Invincibility, but they also offer a power-up for it?  Now I want to play X5 and X6 myself, since they sound so ridiculous.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 07:45:47 AM
They are, but God damn it are they fun.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 02:28:52 PM
BTW, is there any real benefit to charging the saber with the Blade armor?  IIRC, the charged slash deflects projectiles (like Dynamo's blades; Zero's erase part does this as well), but does it do anything else noteworthy?
Didn't the charge saber do a lot more damage if you hit with the very tip? Or was that up+charged buster...
Also, I was playing X3 earlier, and I was surprised at how much use you can get out of the Leg part + chip combo.  You can actually do some pretty nice stuff against bosses, particularly Sigma's first form.  2 upwards air-dashes are enough to get you over the entire fireball barrage, which is the only hard part of the fight IMO.
Come to think of it, couldn't you just airdash over him to the other wall? Possibly going back and forth if necessary.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 04:03:52 PM
Didn't the charge saber do a lot more damage if you hit with the very tip? Or was that up+charged buster...

The Up+Charge Buster is the one I was referring to.  I was just wondering what the major difference between that and the regular slash were, outside of shot erasing.

My YouTube Channel