Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

Satoryu · 14402

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 08:24:02 PM
they're just pulling legs. though KI3 is featured a lot in this game's easter eggs.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:18 PM
VGCats parody.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:32 PM
Hahahaha, this is both hilarious and cruel at the same time!

[tornado fang]ing Rare... It would have been even more hilarious if they put Banjo-Threeie on that list. XD

Also, a new detailed post game impression from autobzooty at NeoGAF:

So, I finished the game with minimal Jiggy requirements, and here are my spoiler-free, post-game thoughts.

Nuts and Bolts is a fantastic game in its own right, and if you are interested in the idea, it's a no-brainer for $40. Honestly though, I don't feel like it lives up to the Banjo name. This game feels like a total spin-off, in the way that Mario Party is a spin-off in the Mario universe. The game just doesn't feel as grand as the previous two.

Part of this, I think, is because there is almost NO exploration in this game. There's a little in the hub world, but the entire process is sort of undermined when your trolley gets the spring. Every single jiggy in the game is obtained by talking to someone and initiating a challenge. In previous Banjo games, you don't usually talk to someone to begin a challenge; you stumble across a puzzle that looks like it needs solving, and you solve it. You don't bring the action to a screeching halt with a menu.

All the jiggy locations are revealed on the radar as soon as you enter a level, and it makes it 100% pointless to explore any of the enormous, beautiful levels that Rare crafted for this game. And the fact that you can build a flying vehicle almost right away with no limitations on how much you can fly (i.e., red feathers, flightpad), it doesn't really lend much to the "exploring" aspect of the game as much as "go-to-that-blip-on-your-radar."

Finally, perhaps my biggest problem with this game is the witch. She's simply standing around Showdown Town, and you can go up and talk to her whenever you please. It's ridiculous. Supposedly, she's pure evil, and supposedly, she's Banjo's biggest enemy. It should be all she can do to resist frying him with a spell when he walks by (especially when you mow her down with a car or beat her with your wrench). It may sound trivial, but it makes her seem like a really weak villain. Not at all like the Gruntilda in the original game, shouting taunts at you as you creep through her lair until you finally fight her in an extremely fun and potent end boss fight. It built up some dread of her, even if it was a little cartoonish. The same thing happens in the Zelda series with Ganon. It's very rare that you ever get to see him, so when you finally do, it's a really big deal.

I love Banjo so much. It's in my top-three game franchises. Nuts and Bolts is an amazing, amazing game. But when I think about the Banjo-Kazooie that could have been, I'm really disappointed that Rare didn't make THAT game instead. I don't want to say that Nuts and Bolts was a "waste of time," (pretty harsh words, I think...) but upon finishing the game with the minimum jiggy count, I can soundly say that I would rather have had a traditional Banjo-Threeie.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 08:39:56 PM
Battletoads! x3

Hitomi: F*** Yeah!

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 08:43:17 PM
I would just like to know what the magic number level will be that lives in infamy this time around if/when that new Battletoads is made. XD

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 16, 2008, 08:56:54 PM

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: November 16, 2008, 09:39:14 PM
I returned my copy, still sealed. Honestly, the vehicles were the biggest turn off for me and I think it was a mistake for Rare to change the franchise's concept so radically so fast. It pretty much caused the fan base to violently fragment. Also, the GAF article mentions the legitimate method to getting places in Showdown Town. However, the "illegitimate" method (it's really a glitch in the physics system that Rare officially sanctioned after being discovered in the demo and is still present in the final) called Trolley Surfing lets you reach any part of the hub world well before you're supposed and farm the area for items and construction boxes. It's as simple as putting a wooden box on your trolley, jumping on top of it, and selecting your car to float upward. You can then deselect it to descend then re-select to ascend, all while having forward momentum.

I applaud Rare for the effort and all the humor injected into the game, but I'd have preferred some traditional platforming more than vehicles.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: November 16, 2008, 09:45:36 PM
yeah, the floaty glitch was fun, and it's how i got past all those green slopes.

i don't know. i'm not ready to give up on the game yet. but i doubt i'll actually see the game to its end. i will say though that flying is infinitely more fun than driving. make yourself a plane asap. and after the intro sequence, there's little dialogue worth mentioning.

VGCats parody.

except Kazooie does hold the magic wrench.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:11 PM
Using the wrench attack in the air also provides some floating time, much like the Kazooie's flapping in the original two.

And yes, I loved the plane so much more than driving. It was nice ripping around through the sky. I also made a pretty nice minimalist motorcycle that, despite its twin small engines, one small fuel tank and egg gun, gets some very nice speed going.

...This is all based on my messing around in the demo, before anyone asks how I know so much without even opening the game. I might pick it up later, at any rate, when it's on the discounted or preowned wall at around $20. Right now, especially with Sonic Unleashed's drop date imminent, I don't think the game would fare well in my book.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:21 PM
I might pick it up later, at any rate, when it's on the discounted or preowned wall at around $20. Right now, especially with Sonic Unleashed's drop date imminent, I don't think the game would fare well in my book.

Off-topic, but i take it we can look forward to a thorough analysis or ripping apart of Sonic Unleashed when you get the game and finish it (hopefully), right?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:51 PM
Off-topic, but i take it we can look forward to a thorough analysis or ripping apart of Sonic Unleashed when you get the game and finish it (hopefully), right?

I expect nothing less of our members.  Especially from Special Taunting Man.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 10:11:21 PM
Hopefully finish it? Oh, it will get finished. Unlike this one, there's no doubt in my mind Sonic Unleashed is going to be wonderful. The recent trailers for Holaska (ice level) and Empire City (New York) after steadily confirming this.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:02 PM
I said hopefully because I'm remembering how the glitches could make things unplayable in Sonic next, but I don't really see glaring problems with unleashed so far. Also, SEGA has done good to pimp the game out lately, even getting a 90s like commercial spot for it. They wouldn't do all of this for something that didn't have some decent effort put into it.

Also, Empire City = Limitless FFFFFFFFFFF. It's like a less surrealistic Stardust Speedway. XD

...I think these posts need to be moved to the Unleashed topic.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 10:19:56 PM
I just hope my inside info about Unleashed is proven wrong once the full game is released, I really do.

Anyways... looking at N&B, it looks like it could be fairly entertaining, but not for a BK game. I'll check it out some time down the line, but right now I must pass. If I want some BK action, I have the N64 games to keep me entertained.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:34 PM
I'm waiting for Banjo Tooie to hit Live Arcade. Kazooie was a good game, but Tooie just did everything so much better. Also, I am 99% sure the FPS multiplayer mode is going to get Xbox Live support for online multiplayer. It'll be the closest thing we can get to Goldeneye insanity, short of Rare putting Perfect Dark up as well.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 10:28:44 PM
You guys have no idea how many hours were put into that egg shootout VS. game in this house. Jinjos were always the main picks. XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 10:29:26 PM
JINJO! Also, do the characters still speak in grunts and stuff (not in text, but actual sound)

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 10:31:08 PM
JINJO! Also, do the characters still speak in grunts and stuff (not in text, but actual sound)
Yes, yes they do.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 10:32:44 PM
Awesome. I can emulate Banjo's grunts and Mumbo's as well. If they took that out, it wouldn't be a BK game, now would it?

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 10:35:25 PM
They are slightly changed. They're just sound clips played out, as opposed to them grunting along to every word. Otherwise, everyone sounds a little bit different... lower, if you will.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 10:35:56 PM
Damn. That sucks.

OOH AHH AH OOH AH AH OOH UH OOH AH AH [/mumbospeak]

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 10:37:18 PM
Nuh HA!   8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 12:22:44 AM
Kazooie was a good game, but Tooie just did everything so much better.

i totally disagree. i found the quests in Tooie to be more of a chore than BK's. they also threw a lot of new things into the game. too much, really. i liked the splitting up and the new eggs, but a lot of other things were kinda meh. flying/swimming in first person was annoying. the areas themselves were kinda missing something too. i never liked the multiplayer either.

i can't complain about anything in Kazooie, though.

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:01 PM
Matter of taste, personally i loved how Tooie had that ridiculous amount of abilities, the ridiculous size and design of the levels ( fire and ice in the same level, oh Rare, you genius) and how many of them were inter-connected. Anyway, i cant choose one over the other, that would be like picking my favorite leg.

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: November 17, 2008, 02:30:07 PM
Matter of taste, personally i loved how Tooie had that ridiculous amount of abilities, the ridiculous size and design of the levels ( fire and ice in the same level, oh Rare, you genius) and how many of them were inter-connected. Anyway, i cant choose one over the other, that would be like picking my favorite leg.

This I can agree with.