Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey" from Warren Spector

Jazz Shaking · 50220

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: September 27, 2009, 11:27:09 PM
Except Disney's main audience is children. Little kids. The adult side of the market is relatively small when compared to the target audience.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: September 27, 2009, 11:28:53 PM
Except Disney's main audience is children. Little kids. The adult side of the market is relatively small when compared to the target audience.

Probably a better reinforcement to Tai's idea, a lot of people grew up with Disney, and seeing Disney somehow [twin slasher] that childhood memory and turn it into some sort of demonic force of insanity may be all they need to get this thing to sell.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: September 27, 2009, 11:29:52 PM
Yeah, but it's not like this game is in any way gonna be targeted at little kids, not if the people at Disney have anything resembling a brain at least.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: September 27, 2009, 11:38:00 PM
I do remember posting quite a bit about this subject and how the art isn't indicative of the final product at all in this thread before. Let me dig it up and shed some light on this craziness.

EDIT: Looks like I didn't. Ah well, story time! This art for all intents and purposes was meant to be a sort of training exercise for the dev team's artists to see how far they could twist and churn the "spirit" of Disney's art and iconicism before it veered off into being unfriendly, or just plain not Disney like. The reason for this all was to make sure that the artists were up to scratch before employing them and continuing the development on the game.

Now what happened in the long run was that a few members of the team who had undergone this experiment had been released from the team while work on the game was still underway. In their transferrence though, they (for reasons unknown) decided to leak the work they had done, leading to the public getting ahold of it and the media and publicity the art work has been getting.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: September 27, 2009, 11:48:02 PM
So what you're saying is, the artwork was leaked by some guys who aren't on the project anymore, while some of the official stuff got mixed in as well, right?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: September 27, 2009, 11:51:36 PM
Basically.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 11:53:15 PM
Basically.

k, at least we know that the Disney people care enough about the game to not have their icon turn into some sort of demon...I hope.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 11:57:50 PM
Heh, something funny just came to mind about something else just now, but I can't say it.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: September 27, 2009, 11:59:16 PM
inb4Tentacles

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 12:25:43 AM
Disney World has been corrupted by Pyre Wraith Pete's return from the 14th level of Hell.  Can you restore Disney World to it's former glory in an all new "Magical Quest" style adventure?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: September 28, 2009, 12:31:23 AM
Hell [tornado fang]ing yes I can, where do I sign up? XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: September 28, 2009, 12:33:07 AM
Hell [tornado fang]ing yes I can, where do I sign up? XD

Second XD

EDIT: I don't think Blues is too far off from the plot, a RUMOR I found was that older characters are going after Mickey to take him and everyone else down due to their popularity. We may very well see Oswald the Rabbit show up from the depths of hell to kill Mickey.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: September 28, 2009, 01:16:55 AM
Will they make Mickey look scarier than in Runaway Brain?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #88 on: September 28, 2009, 01:20:49 AM
Will they make Mickey look scarier than in Runaway Brain?

I think he had waay too much cocaine and drove himself nuts.. at least that's what it looks like in Runaway Brain.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 01:33:29 AM
Wow, brain-swapping has some bad side effects.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: September 28, 2009, 02:41:12 AM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: September 28, 2009, 02:41:41 AM
M<y only fear is that Disney file a lawsuit or troll WArren by sending C&D on this game, it looks awesome and disturbing.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: September 28, 2009, 02:43:06 AM
M<y only fear is that Disney file a lawsuit or troll WArren by sending C&D on this game, it looks awesome and disturbing.

But Warren Spector is the head of a Disney owned and sanctioned development house...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:17 AM
Those weird steampunk zombie Mickey and Goofey could be enemies, like, maybe created, as in, not the real Goofy.

also, the revenge from forgotten chars makes sense, what with that pic of that giant bottle of paint thinner and all the Black and white characters strewn about.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:09 AM
We'll find out soon enough, supposedly it's going to make it's grand reveal through Game Informer in the next month's issue. I don't know what they'll say exactly, but odds are it'll be a giant interview, a couple hints dropped, a new picture revealed, and then us being told that we're going to have to wait until the summer to get a teaser.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: September 28, 2009, 08:42:18 AM
Personally, I think it might be the forgotten characters gone bad, creating this twisted evil world, and you play as Mickey and have to stop it. It mentioned something about erasing the levels and stuff. I noticed that theme in the scenery... Paint brushes, tubes, and that God damn "paint thinner" bottle. maybe your job as mickey is to erase the conquered levels and remake them into the pretty happy stuff we normally see?

Maybe that Goofy and creepy robot with the Mickey ears aren't the real deals but some kind of by product of the twisted world.

Or, maybe thy are, and you make them normal again after you beat them, or after whatever. after you redraw them.

This game concept with just the minimal info and concept art we have, could still go MANY ways.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: September 28, 2009, 02:01:34 PM
To add yet another possible story rumor about the game, here's a copy/paste from a post on the thread over at FC: "a few years back when Disney finally got Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back Bob Iger had said in an interview he'd like to see a game in which some kind of time discrepincy happens and Disney never actually lost Oswald to Universal and therefore Mickey Mouse never comes to fame. The game would be all about the world of Disney becoming totally messed up without Mickey." They mentioned that they wonder if it's that game, so at least they weren't saying that they knew the story and whatnot.

So, to update the rumor story list, we have:
A. Mickey Mouse commits suicide
B. Old cartoons appear to get revenge on Mickey
C. Let's do the Time Warp again! Mickey was never created.

Outside of that, all we DO know is that:
level editing is part of the game,
it's a platformer
it looks freaky as hell.

On a side note, does anyone feel like a little piece of them died the moment they thought, typed, or said "Mickey Mouse is dead" or put the words kill and suicide in the same sentence with Mickey Mouse?

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: September 28, 2009, 04:29:38 PM
On a side note, does anyone feel like a little piece of them died the moment they thought, typed, or said "Mickey Mouse is dead" or put the words kill and suicide in the same sentence with Mickey Mouse?

Nopes. I just thought that the idea of Mickey, of all characters, commiting suicide is just... pathetic.

But I mean, really pathetic.

It's like saying butcher Spongebob or something.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: September 28, 2009, 04:33:05 PM
Nopes. I just thought that the idea of Mickey, of all characters, commiting suicide is just... pathetic.

But I mean, really pathetic.

It's like saying butcher Spongebob or something.

This word for word. I understand that they are trying to stretch their creative limits and such, but come the hell on. Net thing you know there'll be a Mario game with him fighting Bowser to death for real. XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: September 28, 2009, 05:02:09 PM
The suicide thing IS beyond disturbing, but luckily it hasn't been confirmed, and the other ideas seem way better to fit with the darker image.