Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (Anime & Visual Novel discussion SPOILERS PLENTY)

Romantic Fool · 17737

Poll

Do you like the way that the anime is progressing? Or would you rather like it to be more faithful to the VN?

Yes
2 (40%)
No
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I'm still reading through the first episode for Umineko and I've started watching the anime right now.......I have to say, I'm very close to raging. I mean, the way that each character argues about whether or not a witch or humans have done the crime is just so compelling, the parts when they dabble in romance and then tear them apart are just heartbreaking. (GeorgexShannon forever!!!!!)

*sigh*

The anime representation though falls short and really, I should have seen it coming. I mean, Studio Deen did take over the naku koro ni series again. So yeah, bunch of things were off with presentation and plot, but still, it's not like I didn't enjoy it.

It was just way more weaker.

Revolutionary

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
DEEN usually does that, but their adaptations are more than passable.

I really SHOULD read Umineko, but I won't unless I'm lethally bored or I'm told the anime screws up a lot.

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
You really should read the VN. It's very good, and the extras even start to tie into the main story.

Revolutionary

Offline Ace DeSpade

• More awesome than you.
  • Robot Master
  • ^Is awesome.
    • View Profile
I had finished watching Higurashi the day before Umineko was out. I watched it when I found out about it, and I certainly enjoyed it. I never read the visual novel, but I already love the anime, so I might read it.

Also, Maria is totally insane. It's soooo adorable.  8D

[insert decent signature here]

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
You really should read the visual novel. Of course, it's all text, but it'll make the anime series pale in comparison.

Revolutionary

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I haven't read much, up to 3PM of the first day or so, after the siblings decide to look together for the gold, but so far is boring as hell. I haven't even finished the events of the first anime episode and it was full of painful walls of text, and honestly nothing much happens in the first episode.

Also the whole "but it gets awesome later on" or "it's the introduction episode" excuses don't work on me. It fails to catch my interest although i'll keep reading

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Yeah, a lot of things on the first day don't really do much to entertain. But, hey, at least you're giving it a chance. Besides, a VN is essentially a book, and a book needs an introduction, right? Despite it being somewhat weak, it's still okay.

Revolutionary

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
It's just that everyone has hyped Umineko to hell and back like the second coming of cyborg-Jesus, so I was expecting it to be undeniably entertaining. Instead I find myself struggling to keep reading, telling myself the awesome will come soon. The anime is good, but until [parasitic bomb] hits the fan Higurashi-style you can find the exact same show picking randomly from any of the 500 Detective Conan episodes

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I'm more like the persons that just happens to be entertained by almost anything, but I guess the only reason why Umineko's been so hyped up is just because of all the praise from Higurashi.

So yeah, if it doesn't turn out to be your cup of tea, then I can kind of understand your frustration, besides, Ryukishi said some stuff about how he wanted to blur the line between a mystery novel and fantasy.

[spoiler]ep2 has man-eating goat heads though[/spoiler]

related:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5pBdkALxI&feature=PlayList&p=9CE070BD44813EC9&index=0&playnext=1

Pretty much has mild spoilers.

Also, what time are you at right now? Actually, are you on the second day already?

Oh, and don't forget to read the tea party and the ???? . MOAR STORY Just a little bit more brutal though.

Posted on: July 25, 2009, 08:34:25
Aww......I just marathoned the entirety of ep3&4..........hah........it's pretty twisted at this point.

Ep 1-5 turned out kinda iffy for teh anime, but still good stuff.

Revolutionary

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
So, I've marathoned episodes 1-5. At first when I first heard of this animu, and that it's based on a novel by the guy responsible for that piece of [parasitic bomb] Higurashi, I was pretty much like "[tornado fang] THIS! I'M NOT WATCHING". But I've decided to check out first episode today with my friend who came over(he loves Higurashi) and I actually like it. Sure, it's pretty obvious that magic exist and that Battler is a complete [Top Spin] for denying it, but hell, I'm kind of interested about how this all will play out.\

Also, the art of the VN is [tornado fang]ing ugly and I will NOT check it out. So please spare me the suggestions.

Offline Romantic Fool

• Since 1995
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Still, the closed room murders that Beatrice made really can be explained by human means. It's just that your logic has to get a little twisted to try to prove that it's all possible by human means. The only reason Battler has for denying magic is simply because he can't forgive Beatrice for killing everyone.

Revolutionary

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
REVIVE!

So, I've dropped this long time ago, since I deemed it too retarded.

Yet, today, I decided to download episode 15, after I saw clip of Eva-Beatrcie torturing that little [sonic slicer] Maria.

I turned it off at the moment when Lamdadelta said "Tsun".

[tornado fang].

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I actually read all the way to episode 4 of this. DEEN is guilty of many crimes against this adaptation, specially the pacing and ruining to hell and back every single decent fight scene so far. And Episode 3. God they ruined epiosde 3 so much.

Lambdadelta says 'Tsun~' a couple times in the VN, but the whole thing has otaku references every once in a while, like Jessica dressed as Marisa singing Tsurupettan

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Well, I at least love me sum Umineko BGMs... well, some of them.

I wanted to read the visual novel SO MANY TIMES, but with each time when I went on /a/ and looked in a thread about Umineko, I immediately lost interest.
Why? Well because judging by what they were saying in those threads, VN is only a bit less retarded than the anime.

Can someone here, give me a GOOD and VALID reason to read this? Arguments such as "It's much better than the anime" or "It has great story and better pacing" will not do.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

Umineko is a VN about logic theory for dummies and trolling. The other elements are pretty much just like Higurashi. The BGM is good.
Half the fun about Umineko comes from trying to explain the murders yourself with the whole red truth thing, which is explained way better than in the anime.

It's pretty fun but it's not going to blow your mind, specially if you have been spoiled episode 3 which is where the plot really shines. Actually Ep 1 and half of Ep. 2 were a pain to read for me.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Actually, I've just watched episode 18, and got [tornado fang]ing trolled. What the [tornado fang] is this I don't even

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
I recently read through the sound novels and was very impressed. Great music, and the story keeps making me create theories, many of which are probably wrong.

So far, the anime has been average in how it's adapted the material: a lot of the cuts I can understand for time reasons, but because of this a lot of scenes lose their oomph. (such as the third teaparty) Overall, the sound novel felt more powerful to me and thus better, as it had time to go into detail. Also, I think the music helped set a very good atmosphere.

However, I found that some parts dragged on a bit, like the beginning of 1(which does make sense, having to introduce characters...). Also, the art is a bit...funny-looking at times, but some of the expressions manage to be pretty creepy. They're funny-looking enough for me to shrug off everything that looks awkward in the anime. Except maybe for the MEGA-BREASTS. I mean, seriously, because of that I couldn't stop laughing in that classroom scene in episode 21. That and the fact that Lucifer, uh, 'died' twice?

Offline GuardianHX

• "Walker of Bee's Knees."
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
I read the Visual Sound Novel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Anime on the other hand...
Studio DEEN is the culprit. They are responsible for taking out all the cool moments of Umineko.

Despite that, I'm dying to see the last few episodes (episode 23 and onwards), as the action was fairly intense in The Alliance of the Golden Witch, and the characters came off unbelievably epic despite[spoiler]Krauss and GOAT-KUN's[/spoiler]moment of fame.

Oh, and...

I hate this chick.

Also, Ryukishi07 is a troll.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
http://www.alchemist-net.co.jp/new-project/movie.html
>UMINEKO FOR PS3!
>NEW ARTWORK!
>VOICE ACTING!
>NO TRANSLATION EVER!
>IT BECOMES MAINSTREAM!
>MY FACE

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

*ahahaha.wav*

Only PS3? Why must you troll me so my BEATORICHEEEEEEE D:

...I demand an artwork patch to come out of this at the very least...and a soundtrack rip if there are any remixes...or an anime.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
or an anime.
But there's already a... oh.

Posted on: September 14, 2010, 04:49:44 PM
So I got meself again Ougon musou kyoku... because it got an upgrade so I decided to give it another chance.
Then I started browsing for videos on youtube... and I found this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoeVCLHUDn0&context=C334ed46ADOEgsToPDskLc4gQCzF-rY1PmMkiULb01[/youtube]
It made me laugh.