Mega Man Graphics and Sprites

Waifu · 21130

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 25, 2009, 08:05:48 AM
I dunno, maybe they should have redesigned MegaRockMan to be a bit bigger for the third game, since that's when EVERY robot master was bigger than him, and he looked like a shrimp with little detail in comparison.

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 10:39:36 AM
I still think Mario 3 could have added blue overalls and white eyeballs to the Mario brothers.

The NES is only capable of displaying a sprite with 3 colors + 1 transparency. Now, you could get away with it with a simple trick where you would split an object up into multiple sprites that each used their own palette line like in the Mega Man games. However, the way the Super Mario Brothers 3 sprites were design, didn't make this a considerable option.

Back on topic here.

The sprites for Mega Man stayed the same most likely because well...they were fine. There was really no need to redraw them over and over again. They represented the character well. In the Mario games, the sprites were redrawn as the developers clearly got more use to the system. Just look at Mario 1 and Mario 3. Big ass difference as they added much more noticeable details to the sprite to better match the artwork. In the case of Sonic the Hedgehog, at least from Sonic 1 to Sonic 2, the sprites had to had a bit of a touch up in order to make room for Tails' shared palette line with Sonic. If they're going to touch up the sprites, might as well improve on the animations while they're at it eh?

Now, while the Mega Man sprites themselves did not change overtime, you should definitely pay attention to the rest of the game. After each NES game, the backgrounds were largely improved, animations for enemies and other objects were much more fluid, and the art design of some levels were now much more colorful than the games before it. Even the boss art improved immensely. Take a look at Mega Man 6. Mega Man 2 doesn't even hold a candle to it in terms of visuals.

Basically, what it comes down to is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline AdamTheHedgehog

• Godly Artist
  • B-Class Hunter
  • YOURS IS THE BRUSH THAT WILL PAINT THE HEAVENS!
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 09:18:36 PM
Not sure whether or not this is related, but... A friend of mine on DA called Elmind did this blinkie for me:

In fact, he's done several characters, like Rockman.EXE, Louis from Left 4 Dead, and Even a Spy sapping his Avatar being chased by an engineer!

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 12:53:43 AM
Now, while the Mega Man sprites themselves did not change overtime, you should definitely pay attention to the rest of the game. After each NES game, the backgrounds were largely improved, animations for enemies and other objects were much more fluid, and the art design of some levels were now much more colorful than the games before it. Even the boss art improved immensely. Take a look at Mega Man 6. Mega Man 2 doesn't even hold a candle to it in terms of visuals.
But that just makes 1's Mega Man stand out even worse in front of all those more advanced graphics.  Why is it that only the main characters couldn't improve?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 12:56:33 AM
Natural selection!

Mega Man made everything go boom, forcing it to evolve. Whereas Mega Man didn't need to evolve because he was already better than the rest!

So the sprite stays as it is!

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:10 AM
They added some pixels on the back of his head.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 01:46:53 AM
Megaman got two, maybe three black line pixels added to his head in the 4th game I believe, maybe the 5th, that only showed when he was climbing ladders.

...  '>.>

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 05:06:35 AM
But that just makes 1's Mega Man stand out even worse in front of all those more advanced graphics.  Why is it that only the main characters couldn't improve?

It didn't stand out. The character sprite was still very colorful, more colorful than your average vidya NES game hero. If anything, the rest of the game caught up to him.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 06:12:15 AM
They added some pixels on the back of his head.
Yay!  That makes it all better.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 05:13:05 PM
The thing about the Megaman series is that it's, essentially, the same basic game over and over again.  It's fans tend to love it while it's critics find that as it's biggest flaw. 

Capcom's biggest mistake is always releasing too many Megaman games much too fast.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
Yeah, I get the feeling that most people would have liked the NES games, the X series, and the Battle Network series better if Capcom had released about half as many games in the same time span, giving each MegaMan game the polish of two games.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 12:34:24 AM
Unfortunately time between releases doesn't always result in more polish.  X5 was a long wait and the result was the most ill-thought-out power-up system the series has ever seen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 12:49:04 AM
Sure, maybe they do better releasing a whole lot of sequels close together with only minor differences in the gameplay, so they can't ruin too much from game to game.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 11:42:12 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the whole reason SMB2USA is how it is (an official modification of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic by Nintendo)
is because SMB2JP (known otherwise as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels) was too similiar to the original SMB. Actually, I think that makes SMB2 the first hack!

Anyways, you don't change a graphic style in the middle of a series unless you upgrade hardware. SMB2 and 3 were on better cartridges (I think) thank SMB1, so the graphic could afford to look better. I think Capcom kept the same graphics through the first 6 for a sense of continuity, and to avoid hassle in making him look better. If you go on to different hardware, graphics can change. Look at MM6>MM7. Better looking, eh? X3->X4. Better looking. Because the hardware is better, the sprites are better. Plus, why keep changing art styles when you've mastered one already? Just keep it going, and keep a sense of sameness in the game world.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 11:53:46 PM
japanese SMB2 was a better romhack than SMB2US was.

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:40 AM
Anyways, you don't change a graphic style in the middle of a series unless you upgrade hardware. SMB2 and 3 were on better cartridges (I think) thank SMB1, so the graphic could afford to look better. I think Capcom kept the same graphics through the first 6 for a sense of continuity, and to avoid hassle in making him look better. If you go on to different hardware, graphics can change. Look at MM6>MM7. Better looking, eh? X3->X4. Better looking. Because the hardware is better, the sprites are better.

True and False.

They could have easily done the Mario 3 visual style in Mario 1. Why didn't they? Most likely lack of experience working on the hardware. The difference in cart size had little to do with it. Take a look at Rockman and Forte on the SNES. Same animation quality as the Playstation/Saturn Mega Man 8. Backgrounds weren't as detailed or colorful, but that's mainly due to the much more limited color palette and lack of vram when compared to the CD brothers.

Here's another example. Notice how fluid the Sonic Advance 2 sprites are on the Gameboy Advance? That can easily be done on the original SEGA Genesis with uncompressed graphics. The quality of the sprite will even be the same since it also uses a 15 color palette.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:16 AM
Yeah, seems like it was mainly Big Mario who was totally redrawn for 3.  Most other sprites looked pretty similar to before, only with the addition of those black outlines that were just catching on in video games in the past couple of years.  Super Mario Bros. 1 still had to help colored backgrounds catch on so that black outlines would have a purpose!

(I was just saying before that the navy blue outlines from Super Mario Bros. 2 worked pretty well, too.  It stood out from black backgrounds, and a large mass of it made a good color for the overalls, but it also looked dark enough against the blue skies.  Mario with a tan, though, that was a little odd.)

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2009, 01:20:01 AM
Everything in Mario 3 was redrawn.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2009, 01:56:00 AM
Yeah, but in most cases just enough to fit in the outlines!

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2009, 07:22:00 PM
Yeah, but in most cases just enough to fit in the outlines!

I...don't understand what you're saying here. All the art was redrawn, and not just for the purpose of black outlines. They were drawn to be much smaller than the art seen in Mario 1.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17:12 PM
But the Goombas looked bigger to me.

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17:56 PM
But the Goombas looked bigger to me.

I assure you, they're much smaller. Not to mention they have an addition of a mouth.

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 31, 2009, 08:43:10 PM
I know the Micro-Goombas are small... Is that what you mean?

Offline Captain Headdy

• Net Navi
  • Get Your Weapons Ready
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 31, 2009, 09:45:09 PM

(It seems I was wrong in my original statement. Only one enemy is directly taken from Mario 1)

Offline Smoke

• Net Navi
  • Screw the Mega Arm, I have green hair!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 31, 2009, 10:21:01 PM
on the left side is the boomerang guy and on the right is a hammer brother!?