Why aren't copy reploids near unkillable?

Align · 8600

Offline CyberXIII

• Doctor Ivo Robotnik
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfic and Rant account
Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:58 PM
No, it is you who's refusing change! With your unwillingness to evolve, you are the true Mavericks!

Spoken like an Irregular. You threw away everthing until nothing was left and tried to change this forum.

Everyone else, what will you do?

What color is my heart, Snively...?

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=23112
Click here to find a site with loads of soundtracks available.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 11:24:21 PM
That, my friends, is why I don't bother posting around this area anymore. Any answer I, or anyone else, gives is ignored until one of those three appear and say something, even if it happens to be right. Why bother if no one will bother listening, yes?
You just gotta keep on trying.  The fact that I was mentioned in this thread actually bolsters my ego a bit, usually Zan gets all the glory.

To answer the original question, hell if I know.  There are a million ways to speculate on how the Copy Chip works and what kind of stress, energy consumption, damage, etc. may carry over from one form to another.  It may be that sufficient damage "knocks them out" of their transformation and back to their true form (seen in X8, but not in XCM).  It may be that bodily damage is repaired but their reactor goes nuts after too many fixes.  It may be that as the Copy Chip is refined multiple explanations may apply.  Or it may be that the game developers just don't give a damn.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 12:42:19 AM
Haha Zan Sidera is fed up with all of you! :P

Offline marshmallow man

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 07:10:26 AM
Any answer I, or anyone else, gives is ignored until one of those three appear and say something, even if it happens to be right. Why bother if no one will bother listening, yes?

I listen! I couldn't tell you how wrong you are if I didn't!

Just kidding. I do like reading the ideas of others, though. And arguing too. Gurus aren't infallible, we make mistakes and wrong assumptions too. If you're good, you can catch us in it. But if you want to hold your own, it's almost necessary to research your own points first. Seems like a lot of people can't or just won't do independent research, and so wind up just repeating what others say or defer questions to someone they think is more knowledgable.

Even if you can't browse sourcebooks or read japanese, you still have your imagination. There are so many gray area questions, like the one in this topic, that don't have official explanations, and require a creative flair with attention to detail to help answer. Even in places where an official explanation does exist, I've read fan ideas I've thought were better than Capcom's version. Imagination and originality is always valuable in its own right. Sometimes there are no wrong answers, but in the times when there are, the only penalty for it is getting walled in by text from some nerds on the internet. And then you learn, and then you know. Their power becomes yours. Nothing too severe.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 01:42:40 PM
To answer the original question, hell if I know.  There are a million ways to speculate on how the Copy Chip works and what kind of stress, energy consumption, damage, etc. may carry over from one form to another.  It may be that sufficient damage "knocks them out" of their transformation and back to their true form (seen in X8, but not in XCM).  It may be that bodily damage is repaired but their reactor goes nuts after too many fixes.  It may be that as the Copy Chip is refined multiple explanations may apply.  Or it may be that the game developers just don't give a damn.

Well, Redips is an interesting case study here. The battle with X, confrontation with Jango, hurting his arm saving Zero, sacrificing his life (faked, but in a facility only Incentas can freely teleport?..) And his miraculous recovery from damage by revealing his Spider form. He takes a lot of damage in his attempt to trick the Hunters. According to one of Capcom's concepts, he even copied wheel-chair bound Aile and ripped a card from his own body... (anybody still have the explanation for the multiple explanations revolving around Spider-Redips?)

But, I can't really conclude anything myself here, I've barely even fought the Cadres. >.>

Even if you can't browse sourcebooks or read japanese, you still have your imagination.

But you're the only one who can browse sourcebooks and read Japanese!

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:24 PM
Well, Redips is an interesting case study here. The battle with X, confrontation with Jango, hurting his arm saving Zero, sacrificing his life (faked, but in a facility only Incentas can freely teleport?..) And his miraculous recovery from damage by revealing his Spider form. He takes a lot of damage in his attempt to trick the Hunters. According to one of Capcom's concepts, he even copied wheel-chair bound Aile and ripped a card from his own body... (anybody still have the explanation for the multiple explanations revolving around Spider-Redips?)

But, I can't really conclude anything myself here, I've barely even fought the Cadres. >.>

But you're the only one who can browse sourcebooks and read Japanese!

I'm inclined to believe the Aile we met was the real character. A Reploid soldier from New Hope mentions that Aile looked up to Chief R like a father after he was taken in, and Chief R is taken aback when X informs him of Aile's sacrifice.

There is also the fact that a New Generation Reploid reverts upon death, and yet the ID given to X continues to exist...

And I don't believe that Redips recovered any internal damage simply for using his copy ability. He seems able to move again, but if Axl doesn't recover damage using his own ability, why would Redips be any different? If we assume that Hyper Modes have any value in the storyline, we could theorize that Redips used Trickstar to escape Gimialla Mine (which works exactly like Axl's Stealth Mode, early hint?), but I'll admit I can't explain how Redips could repair his arm unsuspected.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:32 PM
I'm inclined to believe the Aile we met was the real character. A Reploid solder from New Hope mentions that Aile looked up to Chief R like a father after he was taken in, and Chief R is taken aback when X informs him of Aile's sacrifice.

Well, Aile most certainly existed. But his friendship with Spider was wholly fabricated by Redips. If that friendship never existed, what purpose does the ID have? It could therefore very well be the case that Redips had killed Aile and taken his form and recovered the ID card from his body.

And I don't believe that Redips recovered any internal damage simply for using his copy ability. He seems able to move again

I was specifically referring to external damage. In the Redips-Spider revelation scene, is it not the case that Redips' is heavily sparking until he transforms into Spider and back?

(which works exactly like Axl's Stealth Mode, early hint?)

I really wonder about that ability... I'm inclined to believe it's not a Copy Chip based ability, otherwise, that would spoil his cover, but why else would both Axl and Spider have the same ability? Maybe because of their similar stealth orientated origins?

Offline Robert Oakes

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 07:00:17 PM
Well, Aile most certainly existed. But his friendship with Spider was wholly fabricated by Redips. If that friendship never existed, what purpose does the ID have? It could therefore very well be the case that Redips had killed Aile and taken his form and recovered the ID card from his body.

It could also be that once Redips heard X talk about the value of this ID, he saw an opportunity to play along and gain X's trust. The ID was given to X in order to grant him access to the Governor's Precinct.

As it stands, I think there is more evidence of Aile being real than there is against it. If Redips really did impersonate Aile, it's a detail which wasn't even hinted at in the storyline.

I was specifically referring to external damage. In the Redips-Spider revelation scene, is it not the case that Redips' is heavily sparking until he transforms into Spider and back?

Internal or external, it's still damage. And while Redips does display some recovery after transforming, I still don't think this should be attributed to the copy ability since, as I said, we have Axl as a reference. Redips could have used a Sub Tank for all we know...

I really wonder about that ability... I'm inclined to believe it's not a Copy Chip based ability, otherwise, that would spoil his cover, but why else would both Axl and Spider have the same ability? Maybe because of their similar stealth orientated origins?

I suppose that's a possibility.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 03:28:46 AM
Even if you can't browse sourcebooks or read japanese, you still have your imagination.
This man speaks truth, 'cuz I can't read a damn word of Japanese (translating "crossfire" with a katakana table on the internet took me about ten minutes >_< ).  I just pay attention and archive whatever is of particular interest to me.

Redips offers the SFM speech just after transforming back from Spider, and speaks to them as if they should have taken notice sooner, so one has to wonder if anything is supposed to be read into the context of that.  Was Redips in posession of some SFM fragment(s) beforehand, relevant in some way to him maintaining the Spider act?  Not sure on that one.

But really, in general, Command Mission is inconsistent with other games in its Copy Chip useage.  Not only with Axl but also with the Mavericks (the rematches are said to be Copy Chip 'roids, but they do not revert back at death).  Popularly assumed explanation with Axl is that he saw some upgrade in the interim between the rest of the series and XCM; the same may apply to Copy Chips in general.  Recall in X8's ending that production had resumed some time after the battle with Lumine, so it's very well possible that there were other revisions to the chips since then.

It does seem to be a pretty odd giveaway.  But then every non-standard weapon in the game appears to be ignored for story purposes, so who can say?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:39 AM
Nanomachines

Offline CyberXIII

• Doctor Ivo Robotnik
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfic and Rant account
Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 04:24:17 PM
Nanomachines

The Metal Gear forum is 3 miles that --> way.

What color is my heart, Snively...?

http://downloads.khinsider.com/?u=23112
Click here to find a site with loads of soundtracks available.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 07:56:48 PM
because metal gear invented nanaomachines, amirite?

Offline Zechs

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
    • Simply-Crestfallen.
Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 12:09:44 AM
Nanomachines existed long before Metal Gear. Especially since there are 2 forms of them: Proteins and actual machines. And even the Machine portion have been used before, and even given alternative names. I.E. Nanites...

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:23 PM
...But just saying "Nanites" doesn't explain much.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 21, 2009, 10:48:01 PM
...But just saying "Nanites" doesn't explain much.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:44 AM
Sure!  42 nanites would do the trick!