The Last Remnant

winged cloud · 6620

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:21 AM
Square's big rpg for the world. The Last Remnant takes a new step in a few ways. Most noticeable is the release date. World wide on the 20th of November. So with a new turn based system, and intresting story, how will it do?

I managed to play a short, but very fun demo over at TGS and after getting used to the commands (since there not your standerd attack, magic, item commands) I found combat to be fast and exciting! Also a fun sorta gimmicky feature was the critcals. A fast button timing event occurs and if you hit it at the right time the units do critcal damage or dodge a oncoming attack. I wasnt able to fully explore the battle system like i wanted to but still fun none the less. I was surprised to not see a exp indicator anywhere. Instead from what I saw, your stats increase by actions in battle ( Like final Fantasy 2)

When I wasnt battling I was on a map where I saw my enemys on screen. 
Although not much time I still enjoyed what I played and I believe this game can be quite amazing. So I now I ask. What do you think about the game? Any likes, dislikes? State your opinion and discuss!

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:17 PM
You went to the Tokyo Game Show?! You bastard!

Anyway, I've literally only seen the name. No box art, no plot, nothing. I know the name and the company, but not another detail.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:06:38 PM
World Wide release? Niiiiiice. I've been searching a nice RPG for Christmas.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 03:15:51 PM
i've been planing to buy this game for a while now but i still have to wait to see if the US version is regionlocked or not
the Eu version got these big and ugly FSK/USK sticker on the box.

From the videos i've seen the commands look very simple and every character unit seems to be 3 Units in Battle with one HP gauge.

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:08 AM
i've been planing to buy this game for a while now but i still have to wait to see if the US version is regionlocked or not
the Eu version got these big and ugly FSK/USK sticker on the box.

From the videos i've seen the commands look very simple and every character unit seems to be 3 Units in Battle with one HP gauge.

Well to give more imput on battles. There are 5 Unions (demo wise at least) and each had 3-5 people in each union (group ). One of the main characters (generals) controls a union as there men do what there leader does. Yes its true hp is shared. I found that intresting and even commented on it out loud and one of the staff told me everything i needed to know. Also there are skills called limit breaks which allows a general to do a massive attack skill (or as I named it, The F you attack)   Also a intresting is union positions. I didnt get to fully explore this tactic but did see it in use. When your unions are striking a monsters group there positons are labled, for example head on attacks were called Dreadlock, and when i got a enemy group from the side it was called flank. Im sure they all have there advantages. 

In less then 2 weeks this game will be released. I really cant wait. Also if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me. I'll what I know can tell you of this game.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:47:40 PM
Hmmm how's the game's menu handling? Any changes to use/change/look at items/equipment/spells?

What's the overworld like?

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 10:47:07 PM
I didnt get a full look on the menu. The demo build had a bit of darkerned areas showing I cant select them. Also im not skilled at reading Japanese. Only speaking it, The staff didnt tell me about the menu since I didnt ask. But I do know one had to do with units.

The overmap on the other hand is simular to blue dragon. You run on a pretty open field or dungeon (demo had both) and you see the monsters on the field. Like in blue dragon you can link battles, So you fight more monsters in one battle. I heard you can link a lot of monsters but since i was new to the game I didnt want to take much of a chance. Also the overworld looked fantastic graphically!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 10:53:17 PM
Huh

Doesn't sound too bad.

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 05:20:12 PM
Heres a battle video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDmcJELTDE

And heres a simple exploring a town video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGhlPyUx_M

Theres many other battle videos but I chose that one cause it gives you a real big look of whats going on in battle and the diffrent actions. Plus that battles, battle music was awesome =p

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:00:17 PM
Also a fun sorta gimmicky feature was the critcals. A fast button timing event occurs and if you hit it at the right time the units do critcal damage or dodge a oncoming attack.
Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario style?

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:22:37 PM
Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario style?

Not quite. If you have ever played Legend of Dragoon or Lost Odyssey, its more like that. You see a button you must push and a indicator and if you time it right you get the bonus attack damage or guard.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:42 PM
Not quite. If you have ever played Legend of Dragoon or Lost Odyssey, its more like that. You see a button you must push and a indicator and if you time it right you get the bonus attack damage or guard.

I played those. And I loved those.

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:29:33 PM
The title releases worldwide tomorrow. And I have a few updates from what Ive seen. 1 The menu system is mostly related to you and unions. You have no control over you partys equipment but they are smart and know what they want. Also You can create your own items and party members might even ask you for some of the loot from battles so they can make there own weapons.

The game sports a similar Persona map, at least in towns. You have a selection of places to visit in each town and once you click it then you get to explore that area as Rush. The world map is like lost Odysseys, Where you see a location on a big map and then highlight it and then travel there.

This game is shaping up nicely. I just hope it delivers!

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 11:01:31 PM
there is something that bothers me

while in other countries the game is M rated the game is FSK 12 rated in germany

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 03:23:14 AM
Perhaps Diffrent requirements for the rating?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 11:44:19 AM
there is something that bothers me

while in other countries the game is M rated the game is FSK 12 rated in germany

NO BLOOD FOR GERMANY. IT TURNS KIDS INTO KILLERS.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 01:52:48 PM
if a game is M+ rated in the USA its normally butchered down in germany to fit a FSK 16 but i never heard of a M+ rated game that is changed to a FSK 12 o__O

another reason why i only have 7 games from germany and all the others are imports

Offline winged cloud

• The Shattered Angel
  • Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 07:30:59 AM
Yeah its probably the blood in the game. Although I don't find it too bad, I will admit it can be considered a lot, epically when one until in my teams was surrounded by blood.

Well the game is out and I got my copy after insisting the store clerks had it, and after they checked in there back room I was right. I was surprised, the game is 2 disks long! And plays pretty well so far. The story seems good even if im in the early part of the game still. Also I made a bad quality video of some simple game play, It consists of town exploration, and menus, as well as a field and a few battles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hse-3_0fuzk

Sorry for it being so bad, but I have no clue how to record a better thing then this.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 07:34:16 AM
There's blood alright. You've seen the pictures of that blonde-haired Emperor guy, right? Well, let's just say his clothes weren't originally red...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 09:45:21 PM
Watched a few gameplay videos. I think I'll get this now. Along with Infinite Undiscovery.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 10:07:49 PM
i bought the UK version on ebay for 36€ new would have been 55€
it will arrive next week probably.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:48 PM
It looks rather promising... huh I think I said that already.