Once and for all...

OKeijiDragon · 19411

Poll

Which English voice actor/actress portrayed Mega Man the best, in your opinion? Alternately, pick your favorite voice actor/actress for Mega Man

Doug Parker (Captain N: The Game Master version of Mega Man)
0 (0%)
Ian James Corlett (Ruby-Spears cartoon version of Mega Man)
4 (8%)
Ruth Shiraishi (Mega Man 8/Mega Man X4) as Mega Man & X, respectfully.
2 (4%)
Peter Von Gomm (X7) as Mega Man X
1 (2%)
Mark Gatha (Command Mission, X8, Maverick Hunter X) as Mega Man X
26 (52%)
Iain Gibb (Mega Man ZX Advent) as Biometal X
0 (0%)
Corey Sevier (Mega Man Legends) as Mega Man Volnutt/Trigger
7 (14%)
Susan Roman (Mega Man Legends 2) as Mega Man Volnutt/Trigger
1 (2%)
Other
3 (6%)
Andrew Francis (Mega Man NT Warrior) as Mega Man.EXE
1 (2%)
Jeff Mallory (Mega Man Juno)
0 (0%)
"Dario" (Vent)
0 (0%)
This poll is bullshit
5 (10%)
They all sucked ass. =P
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:15 AM
I understood it as, "Who did the best job voicing his/her Rockman?", so it's still a valid question.

At any rate, I agree on the squeaky kids' voice for Mega Man. The MM:PU Mega Man/Rock was just not quite right. The MM8 Mega Man was close, but needed to be a little deeper. Had it been in English, I think the Marvel Vs. Capcom Mega Man would've been it.

But it wouldn't have changed my vote: Gatha nailed X.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 12:13:18 AM
What We mean Keiji, is that you should not group all the Megamans ny VA, rather the Va by Megaman, if that makes sense.
its quite hart to choose when you like the VA's work on one Megaman, but maybe not on Megaman X or trigger, or whom you might like another VA you cant choose.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 12:15:00 AM
Well from how I see it, the "Mega Men" in ZX aren't really true Mega Man at all since they're just a bunch of "spirits" inside Biometal that humans use to power up, much like Power Rangers (I think that's exactly what it is though lolwut). Yes, I've played both ZX games. No, I still don't think I quite get the whole reason why Ciel made those Live Metals, and please excuse my ignorance if any.  8U I personally don't see Vent & Alie, and Grey & Ashe as REAL Mega "Men", but again, all this is just me.

Yet you count Trigger?...

The chosen ones that can use the livemetal's R.O.C.K. System are all Rockmen, the evolution of humanity. The falseroids that use that power without being chosen ones are "artificial Rockmen." The livemetals were created to counter the threat of Livemetal Model V. Model V which was created for a grandiose game of destiny in which the Rockman King will change the world.

The origin of Rockman as a title, and the eventual future that is Rockman Trigger's existence comes forth from those chosen to fight in that era. Related to Trigger and sorely ignored thus far, there is also; Rockman Juno.

If you're not counting all those people, you should only count Rock and X. Rock who became a superhero, and X who is his successor.

And even then, you still have Rockman.exe (who you're considering despite being further removed from Rock) and Subaru who became Rockman.

Seems like it should have been just X and Rock for the poll. Trigger was done well from the get go. X and Rock, not so much.

And to further play devil's advocate...

X = Shoutaro. >.>

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 12:45:11 AM
Morikubo did X's voice in... X6.. was it?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 01:38:17 AM
Yet you count Trigger?...
He's the title character, and I'm trying to count in title characters.

What We mean Keiji, is that you should not group all the Megamans ny VA, rather the Va by Megaman, if that makes sense.
its quite hart to choose when you like the VA's work on one Megaman, but maybe not on Megaman X or trigger, or whom you might like another VA you cant choose.
Not to [sonic slicer], but for god's sakes people it's just a poll. Don't over think it, if the choice is not there. Will it make anyone happy if I modify it just for you two.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:30 AM
He's the title character, and I'm trying to count in title characters.
Zero, Vent, Aile, Grey, and Ashe are also title characters.

Not to [sonic slicer], but for god's sakes people it's just a poll. Don't over think it, if the choice is not there. Will it make anyone happy if I modify it just for you two.
We think over it because we have to Cant choose accurately. its not that the choice is not there, but they are grouped together ina rather bad fashion.
also, yes.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 02:50:28 AM
they all kinda suck

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:27 AM

We think over it because we have to Cant choose accurately. its not that the choice is not there, but they are grouped together ina rather bad fashion.
also, yes.
they all kinda suck

Quote from: Poll answer
This poll is bullshit
There.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 25, 2009, 03:02:56 AM
hahaha... Witty comeback.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 25, 2009, 03:17:40 AM
No, the Z and X biometals are... Right?  Darn, these combiner MegaMen are confusing.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: May 25, 2009, 04:41:50 AM
We're talking about characters with only the name Mega Man literally attached to them. Not [tornado fang]ing Mega Man Zero.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 25, 2009, 05:19:27 AM
The Manga characters calls him "Rockman Zero".
also, Juno has the name attached to his. Just as much as Trigger is Megaman Trigger, Juno is Megaman Juno.
Also, Megaman is more of a title than a name. the original name was Rock, but is called Rockman/Megaman when he wears his battle armor. X is named X, nothing more, but he inherited the title of Rockman from his predecessor. Likewise, Trigger is derived from the ZX's era Megamen, thus he has the 'Title" of Megaman" Trigger, just like Juno is "Megaman" Juno. which means that it works retroactively towards the chosen ones.
which brings me to the last point- Vent and Aile have both pretty much inherited Megaman X's legacy, therefore, they are also "Megamen."

Why am I actually arguing over all this again...?

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: May 25, 2009, 05:38:25 AM
X is named X, nothing more, but he inherited the title of Rockman from his predecessor.

contradicted yourself right there. inheriting the name still means his name is Rockman/Mega Man. and it's certainly not nothing more.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:39 AM
well, in that case, then- ah whatever. ~_~

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 08:46:45 AM
I tend to agree that the name Megaman has become more than just a name, but more of a mantle of sorts.  Megaman in particular is a name that should describe a hero who appears in a time of need.  When X was gone and the world needed a Megaman Zero took up that title and I think he lived up to it.  Just the same Vent, Aile, Grey, and Ashe all appeared when the world needed a hero, and really came to embody the meaning of the name Megaman.

The other Megamen may have been contenders for the title, but ultimately all of them were short sighted and fighting for selfish ends.  In legends it would be Trigger created to take up the legacy of Megaman as a purifier unit.  While there were other megamen like Juno, just like in ZXA there are those who live up to the title and those who don't.

So I have no problem saying that Zero is a genuine Megaman.

But that's getting away from the point of voice actors.

It's not uncommon for women to voice young boys, as their voices change less over time than men.  Bart Simpson has always been voiced by a girl.  Though there has been a trend of using child actors to voice children lately, the problem is it requires a constant voice cast rotation if the series is ongoing as the actor's voices will change, unless of course the character also grows up.  In Classic Megaman's case that's not going to happen as he's a robot who's incapable of growing up.

AntiBunny

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 28, 2009, 06:52:16 AM
Did you people seriously get "serious business" over a [tornado fang]ing poll about voices?

Oh my god.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:56 AM
Did you people seriously get "serious business" over a [tornado fang]ing poll about voices?

Oh my god.
read the name of the site.

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 09:07:05 PM
As far as Classic Mega Man is concerned, I think Cole Howard best captured the voice.  He sounded like an energetic, heroic, kid.  And he sounded like a boy, not a girl.

Mark Gatha comes closest to an American version of X's voice, but there's something about it that's too stiff; too cardboard superhero.  Given time, I think someone could come along and do better.  Until then, we have the Japanese voices.

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #43 on: June 06, 2009, 08:33:36 PM
Damn, all series merged into the poll, that makes this a pain in the ass.  My top three are Mark Gatha (SIGMAAAAA!!!), and the two Legends actors (yes, I even enjoy the Sailor Juptior-Trigger, I'm THAT nuts over Legends).

"Dario" didn't do a half-bad job as Vent, though.  Or at least he beat the hell out of Aile's actress (and where is she on this poll, anyway?).  His dialogue was for the most part bland and yet in cutscene he sounds awesome, probably the only character in the game who could make "Megamerge" sound tolerable.  If he had more time with the character, I think he could nail it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: June 06, 2009, 11:25:02 PM
As far as Classic Mega Man is concerned, I think Cole Howard best captured the voice.  He sounded like an energetic, heroic, kid.  And he sounded like a boy, not a girl.

Mark Gatha comes closest to an American version of X's voice, but there's something about it that's too stiff; too cardboard superhero.  Given time, I think someone could come along and do better.  Until then, we have the Japanese voices.
who's Cole Howard?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #45 on: June 06, 2009, 11:39:48 PM
who's Cole Howard?

Mega Man Powered UP!

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: June 06, 2009, 11:50:56 PM
Holy crap, this is the first time I've read this thread and I have to say, [parasitic bomb] was a trainwreck earlier. XD

Meanwhile, I nominate Shotaro Morikubo for best VA for a Megaman. 8)

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: June 07, 2009, 01:04:08 AM
Mark Gatha as Lan!

... Wait, wut?

I mean Jeffrey Watson as Megaman. 8D

who's Cole Howard?

Fail less next time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: June 07, 2009, 02:05:05 AM

Fail less next time.
Mega Man Powered UP!
well EXCUUUUSE ME for not having a PSP. B(

and I really disliked his Powered up voice. It didnt fit Megaman at ALL. he's supposed to be a little shota robot, not a prepubecent shrimp with a big head.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: June 07, 2009, 06:35:05 AM
There's a difference?