Red Steel 2, now with 100% more Samurai Cowboys. (I Am Not Making This Up.)

Jericho · 6716

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile

I am in love with this design btw. It's like they let the PoP Next guys out of their cage with more awesome than before. 0v0

Anyways, discuss. More info in a sec.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
"FINALLY, wielding a sword in a Wii game feels as real as you always dreamed!"

Considering there are cowboys using Katanas in a wild west ambiente I would say this satetment is absolutely true.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:17:47 PM
I know why they said that and still lol'd. XD

Posted on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:12 PM
http://nintendopower.com/images/NP242_TOC.pdf

Holy crap at the Nostalgia art. :O

They better release an art book if everything looks that good.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Red Steel 3 will be with Space Samurai Cowboys, just you wait and see.

Seriously though, it's an interesting idea. Should be interesting to see if it ends up being worth it in the end.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Red Steel 3 will be with Space Samurai Cowboys, just you wait and see.

Kenshin in my Outlaw Star? Trigun in my Samurai Champloo? Cowboy Bebop in my Cowboy Bebop? YES PLEASE. XD

(Extending metaphors is fun.)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
here's to hoping this game won't be crap like the first one.

and cowboys with katanas is in no way a new concept. i recall an early PS2 game titled like Samurai Gunman.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
It isn't new, but I still like it.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
It's at least more fresh than half the stuff out nowadays.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
agreed with both of you.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
OK, I promised a news trickle and here it comes. Slowly but surely:

- Will be cel-shaded
- PoP Next art directors on board
- XIII team on board
- This is what happened from Ubi using the time from the first RS2 prototype's pulling & canning to now
- MotionPlus support is a given.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
I got a tingly feeling all over when I read that :D This looks to be pretty good, especially if they said they're going to fix up what made Red Steel bad to play.

Though, I can't help but feel as to question why they're calling this game Red Steel 2 when it really doesn't LOOK like a sequel, but more like an entirely original game. Though, I guess they could just call their series of games involving swords and guns on the Wii "Red Steel" in a fashion similar to Square's Final Fantasy games.

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I hope there's a better 2P mode, at least. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
"FINALLY, wielding a sword in a Wii game feels as real as you always dreamed!"

Considering there are cowboys using Katanas in a wild west ambiente I would say this satetment is absolutely true.

My sentiments exactly!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Waiting for more info to break on this is tedious. Here's what I've got so far from GAF:

The article on Red Steel 2 is mainly a 7-8 page interview with 9 screen shots and about the same of concept art. Half is a preview describing a series reboot and the other half is an interview with the Art Director (Stephane Bachelet), Lead Game Designer (Roman Campos Oriola) and Creative Director (Jason Vanderberghe). They have the game running at 60fps, the game is set in the fictional desert town of Caldera described as Tokyo meets Reno. They basically rebooted when they saw Motion Plus and decided to go in a different direction with the game.

So far, I like. What say you RPM?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I say Bring it On!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Yeah, I really find myself drawn to this new design more than I thought I would be. This is coming from someone who never bit at the hype of Red Steel 1 and the (then supposed to happen) 1:1 sword combat. XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
I just have to question how they can consider this a series reboot. Seriously, how do you reboot a series that's only one game long, and isn't THAT old (yes it was a Wii launch title and the Wii's about 2-3 years old now, but considering how news of this broke out a year or so ago, you really can't say it's a reboot; that's like saying MGS4 is a reboot of the MGS series when the last game prior to 4 was released just a couple years prior).

Unless they mean that they rebooted the entire thing and started over from scratch, then I can see that being plausible.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:40:54 PM
If they're marketing it as something in the "Red Steel" vein, yet it looks to be a total refresh of every idea present in the first game, I would think that it could be considered a reboot.

Still though, I think they mean it in the second way you stated it, since the original Red Steel 2 prototype was nixed and this one brought in after Ubi (hopefully) stepped up their game.

Posted on: April 29, 2009, 01:33:40 AM
SAN FRANCISCO – April 29, 2009 – Today Ubisoft announced Red Steel 2, exclusively for the Wii(TM) system from Nintendo. Red Steel remains one of the most successful Wii titles and the only brand created specifically for the launch of the platform. Red Steel 2 is being developed by Ubisoft Paris and will be available for the 2009 holiday season.

Red Steel 2 returns with an artistic style and flair created just for Wii. Set in a desert-bound, high-tech metropolis, Red Steel 2 is a revolution in the action-fighting genre, taking full advantage of the capabilities of the Wii MotionPlus(TM) accessory. Your movements are faithfully replicated on-screen, putting the emphasis on swinging, shooting and fun! With the ability of the Wii MotionPlus to sense the strength of a swing, you will literally be able to make an impact on your adversaries through power and precision.

“Red Steel was a unique opportunity for Ubisoft to work in tandem with Nintendo to create a title exclusively for the launch of the Wii console,” said Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing US at Ubisoft. “Red Steel 2 is another milestone for the company as it is the first Ubisoft title with full Wii MotionPlus integration.”

Just as Red Steel broke ground as the only third-party brand created for the launch of the Wii, Red Steel 2 will be the must-have game of Holiday 2009 for those who wish to stretch their own capacities and fully experience a game that was built from the ground up to take advantage of the Wii MotionPlus.

More details on Red Steel 2 will be revealed in the June issue of Nintendo Power magazine. For more information on Red Steel 2, please visit www.redsteel2.com.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Day. [tornado fang]ing. One. 0v0

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Hmm... let's see if they can actually pull off something like that ingame, then I'll be interested.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I hope they do. I really hope they do. There's too much actual awesome going into this game, just on the merits of setting, art design and the main character's design. I just hope the gameplay is solid.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
I'll root for it, much like I rooted for the first one. Let's hope they get it all right this time.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, this concept of samurai shooters is Older Than You Think, because there's a (rather decent) 1999 PS1 game by Agetec called Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman that did this ten years ago.

No cookie from me.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
It's impossible to make anything truly original anyway, so I'm interested for all the other reasons.
I just wish it would actually look as good as that trailer (on the Wii).