Rockman Science Hour - Theory, techbabble, and handwavium, oh my

Machina · 15136

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile

The thing is, data is an abstract concept. Without a medium, there can be no data, similar to how you can't have a drawing without something to draw on.

I really don't see why there has to be a physical medium... after all, if both classic>DASH and EXE>SSR operate on the same physics, we still have ZERO's Cyberspace, the Program World which encompasses all Substance World phenomena in the form of a program. (Different from the X/EXE cyberspace, which is ZERO4's Transfer Circuit; both the internet and physical storage mediums) ZERO3's cyberspace is a separate dimension of reality and is the space where all data inevitably ends up.

DNA Soul

DNA Soul = Repliroid's operational [mobilization/movement] DNA program = Repliroid Soul = Repli Soul = Cyber Elf = Program Life Object = Repliroid Personality Program

DNA Program
Program that makes up the characteristics of a repliroid. Zero's Learning ability utilizes this, but Axl's ability to completely copy a repliroid is rare.

DNA Soul
A repliroid's operational [mobilization/movement] DNA program that has been pulled out. It appears that Berkana took the souls from the erased repliroids and inserted them for use in the bodies of Iregulars.

Erasure
The phenomenon where a repliroid's operation program disappears all the sudden. An erased repliroid loses all consciousness, reduced to being like so much scrap iron. During the Nightmare Incident, a phenomenon similar erasure happened to Isoc.

Now, in the Classic/X/Zero-verse, the existence of a non-physical medium for the storing and retrieving of data becomes a canon fact as of the middle of the X-series, with its existence being likely from the beginning of the Reploid species. This, of course, being the DNA Soul. The events of Xtreme 2 are enough evidence to suggest that DNA souls exist in the material universe as some kind of energy-based storage medium containing the "genetic" data of the Reploid as well as their memories.[

Well, Repliroid Souls are Cyber Elves. Cyber Elves which live in Cyberspace. Cyber Elves which have bodies that are created with pure energy in the image of elves... Cyber Elves which are based on Sigma Virus... Sigma Virus is also an energy based existence that can be transmitted by radio-transmission, X/EXE cyberspace and even just move through the air itself without the use of any noticeable medium.

Sigma Virus's origin is Wily's creation of Zero and putting it inside of Zero. The Repliroid Soul has its origin with X's nearly human soul. However, Zero too has a soul like that, a Cyber Elf, hence his existence as a Biometal (Which have Cyber Elf-like abilities). Furthermore, we also can't state with certainty that robots that predate X did not have souls. Those souls might not have been as much like a human as X, but they'd be souls nonetheless.

Either way, the existence of energy-bodied programs has no importance to Kotobuki.

Kotobuki

The Gospel Server's radiation has the same effect as Zero Virus. Cyberspace materializes in the real world. This is not the ZERO cyberspace, rather, its the X/EXE cyberspace. As in, it's the internet, in a setting in which the internet can connect to nearly every single machine, wireless even. Either the data was always being transmitted wireless, or the radiation is causing it to be. I'd just like to note that by SSR's account, a true wireless worldwide connection isn't established until the Sattelite Admins appear; EM-lifeforms are responsible, before that, wireless transmission was much more similar to what the real world has.

To mention a related concept; teleportation. It's turning a material object into data and transmitting it, only to materialize it elsewhere. As ZERO4 shows, wireless transmission is used here, using the X/EXE Cyberspace. Hence, by using teleportation, a Repliroid can actually enter the X/EXE Cyberspace.

The hologram also works with Gemini Man's hatred and weakness to snakes.

Snakes possess keen non-visual senses, and it's likely that Snake Man and his Search Snakes possess IR sensors. Now, a hard light hologram likely possesses a very different infrared image than a solid Robot, and thus a snake would be able to tell which is the real and which is the fake if it is indeed holographic. As for the physical weakness...

... I'll need to think more on that. For now, all I can think of is "LOL game mechanics"

I guess with the "Search" Snake being his weakness, I guess we are indeed dealing with holograms. (Solid ones controlled by the main, mind you.) The intended function is actually that the snakes uncover the real one, hence his dislike for them. LOL game mechanics for this being improperly portrayed as just extra damage.

Schrodinger's Copy.

Combined with Schrodinger's Replacement?

In other words, LOL game mechanics.

Doesn't address if  it's the orb or the big dome that's projecting the alien, but meh. ^_^

I'd say the dome is responsible for the holograms. The orb being related in some fashion to have the dome create the alien around it, with "damaging" the alien messing up both the orb and the dome.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:15:03 PM by Zan »

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
The intended function is actually that the snakes uncover the real one, hence his dislike for them. LOL game mechanics for this being improperly portrayed as just extra damage.
Noooooooooooooo!  My precious damage table cannot be a lie!!!

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
I guess with the "Search" Snake being his weakness, I guess we are indeed dealing with holograms. (Solid ones controlled by the main, mind you.) The intended function is actually that the snakes uncover the real one, hence his dislike for them. LOL game mechanics for this being improperly portrayed as just extra damage.
I was just replaying Power Fighters and noticed that if you fire at Gemini Man after he doubles himself, your shots will pass through one of the doubles.  If you fire at the other one, your shots will actually hit.  Along with the evidence already pointed out, this does seem to suggest that Gemini Man employs some kind of "solid" hologram technology.

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Except when he doesn't like in your example?

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
I also discovered something strange about GeminiMan in the Genesis version.  If you finish off a certain GeminiMan first (I think it's the one that jumps out first rather than the one that stands still for a while), the shot that destroyed it doesn't actually lower GeminiMan's HP, even though it appears to take some notches off the bar.  Hitting GeminiMan again will reveal his true HP.  So typically you'll randomly see your first strike after destroying the first GeminiMan as not affecting his energy at all, but what's really happening is that you're taking off the amount that your last shot only appeared to take off.  If you switch to a more powerful weapon after the clone is destroyed, your next hit will appear to take off the difference between the two weapons' damages.  And if you switched to a less powerful weapon, it would actually raise GeminiMan's meter by the difference, just like when certain Rockman 2 bosses get refilled by certain weapons.  If you switched to Top Spin after beating the first clone with Search Snake, GeminiMan would appear to regain 5 units, since Search Snake does 5 and Top Spin does 0.  But Top Spin is really just revealing what GeminiMan's internal HP was due to the bug.  Whether this confirms which GeminiMan is "fake" is up to you, though.

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Except when he doesn't like in your example?
Why must you take everything that matters to me?!  :|

...  :)

So, he's solid, but occasionally not.

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Okay, new line of questioning:
What's with the hand/buster transformation? Are they just dematerialized somehow or do they fold into compartments inside the busters?

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
And why does Megaman keep transforming his hand into a gun and back into a hand every time he fires?  Wouldn't it be more efficient to just leave it as a gun all the time until he needs to climb a ladder?

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Okay, new line of questioning:
What's with the hand/buster transformation? Are they just dematerialized somehow or do they fold into compartments inside the busters?
I've always thought that Rock's buster transformation was mechanical (ala Transformers), whereas X's buster transformation was a matter/energy dematerialization.  I know X's transformation has been shown both ways (mechanical in the X3 intro and dematerialization in the Command Mission opening and select Capcom commercials).  Zero's buster sprite from X6 seems to fit more with the matter to energy or nanite transformation idea, so why not X also?

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
The most common way it's handled seems to be to just cut away for a moment and the resident Megaman has his buster ready, thus sidestepping the issue.  Cutscenes have tried to present it 2 ways though.  Mechanical or dematerialization.  Most seem to have the buster appear in a sort of flash of light, but at least one animation did show X physically transforming his buster by retracting his hand, extending a barrel and extending the length of his forearm.

Personally I take this as an extreme slow motion shot.  I'm pretty sure all busters form by mechanical means, but they transform so quickly that the human eye simply can't see it and all you notice is a streak of light as parts shift around and exchange places and suddenly there's a gun where a hand was.

It's not unreasonable.  In ZX the ZX buster and the ZX saber are actually the same weapon, which transforms quickly between buster and saber.

If you count Day of Sigma it lends creedance to the mechanical theory as once X detached his buster he was unable to form it on the other arm.  Indicating that he had to be carrying physical parts for his buster in his body and without them he couldn't form one on the other hand.  (as it seems to be assumed now that X and Megaman can form a buster on either hand, but sparing a few armor upgrades for X not one on both arms at the same time.)

So I'd say there's also some micro transformation going on but not entirely nanotech, but the parts are small enough to move through a bot's arms and swap between them.  I'm willing to bet the busters are stored near the core of the body to quickly deploy to either arm that needs to fire at the time.

AntiBunny

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
The most common way it's handled seems to be to just cut away for a moment and the resident Megaman has his buster ready, thus sidestepping the issue.  Cutscenes have tried to present it 2 ways though.  Mechanical or dematerialization.  Most seem to have the buster appear in a sort of flash of light, but at least one animation did show X physically transforming his buster by retracting his hand, extending a barrel and extending the length of his forearm.

Personally I take this as an extreme slow motion shot.  I'm pretty sure all busters form by mechanical means, but they transform so quickly that the human eye simply can't see it and all you notice is a streak of light as parts shift around and exchange places and suddenly there's a gun where a hand was.

It's not unreasonable.  In ZX the ZX buster and the ZX saber are actually the same weapon, which transforms quickly between buster and saber.

If you count Day of Sigma it lends creedance to the mechanical theory as once X detached his buster he was unable to form it on the other arm.  Indicating that he had to be carrying physical parts for his buster in his body and without them he couldn't form one on the other hand.  (as it seems to be assumed now that X and Megaman can form a buster on either hand, but sparing a few armor upgrades for X not one on both arms at the same time.)

So I'd say there's also some micro transformation going on but not entirely nanotech, but the parts are small enough to move through a bot's arms and swap between them.  I'm willing to bet the busters are stored near the core of the body to quickly deploy to either arm that needs to fire at the time.
So, would you question the existence of nano-tech or matter/energy tech in a reploid's body?  How do you suppose self-repair systems operate, then?  Or what about Axl's pistols?  They have no visible holsters.  Where do they come from?

While we're on the question of reploid physiology, how would you account for reploid DNA?  Is it analogous to human DNA, or simply an abstract term for computer code?

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
How is Megaman able to jump on and then ride on top of underwater air bubbles?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
how does the wall kick work? in the manga he has jet thrusters in his back, but I dont know bot the games.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
You can kick off walls in real life.  Try it.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
X freakin goes back towards the wall in mid air after he kicks off of it. i cant do that.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
X freakin goes back towards the wall in mid air after he kicks off of it. i cant do that.

You can with these

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
sweet. so X wears those under his robo boots?

Posted on: March 13, 2009, 08:32:51 PM
And Zero probably has a red variation right? awesome. Light's got taste. and Wily... well... is wily.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I'm pretty sure those red holes in the robot's legs are the thrusters, which gives X the ability to dash because it thrusts him foward, and make large superhuman leaps.

And the bubbles in Tenguman's stage, those are airtight bubbles, so you would put a boulder on top of them, and they would not pop unless spiked.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Megaman classic also has those holes, and they dont do [parasitic bomb] for him.
also, they are for dashing.

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Why is it that some spikes are an instant kill, while others just hurt?  Could it be the vintage "some spikes are mono-molecular and some are just regular spikes" or the favored "the insta-kill spikes are electrified" explanation?

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
the ones that arnt instant kill just wernt sharpened enough. (thats what happens when you try to cut price by ordering from cheaper sellers)

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Most seem to have the buster appear in a sort of flash of light, but at least one animation did show X physically transforming his buster by retracting his hand, extending a barrel and extending the length of his forearm.
I know the TV show definitely went the mechanical route for guns, although sometimes there were still size issues that made it unbelievable (How does Roll squeeze a toaster oven through her arm?).  All the robots wore big gun barrels on their wrists all the time that their hands folded into; if Game MegaMan works like that, it must be that his barrel looks more like part of a big glove.  Strangely, I remember that sometimes the show's MegaMan had a little nozzle emerge from the barrel like in the games, but usually it was just wide open like Bass's Buster.  Maybe that was how he made the blasts more focused sometimes or something.  I'd have to watch the series again to be sure.  I just know that Rush always glowed yellow when he morphed into something, even when it was the simple jet transformation where he just folds his legs.

Megaman classic also has those holes, and they dont do [parasitic bomb] for him.
Ha ha, but I think I read somewhere that those thrusters let him land safely from long falls, like how the "heel springs" were supposed to work in Portal.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I always thought they were just there on Rock to look cool.

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
I didn't rule out nanotech in reploids, just I don't think the buster uses it or needs it.  I tend to think of busters as old reliable tech, that doesn't have much need of change except to add more and more power to it.

On the feet things.  I always assumed they were micro thrusters of some sort that allowed Megaman to change direction in mid jump.  Not enough to fly with, but enough for increased directional control.  X's are just more powerful since they can push him right back into a wall while he's still gaining upward momentum from pushing off against it.

Bass has them too and his allow him to double jump.

Though they were probably originally there as a leftover from Astro Boy who clearly influences Megaman's design strongly.  In the manga Megaman even has a panel on his chest exactly where Astro does.

AntiBunny

Offline Acrosurge

• Crossover Hunter
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
the ones that arnt instant kill just wernt sharpened enough. (thats what happens when you try to cut price by ordering from cheaper sellers)
In that case, Needle Man must have gotten a bad deal since his head spikes don't instakill Mega Man.  Poor Needle Man.  He can blast through solid concrete, but can't bust up a 4'4" robot.

Enjoy life,
Acrosurge