Mega Man Archie Comics

Psycho Yuffie · 94715

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #275 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:38 AM
I didn't quite mind Vile being chatty.  If you're to take his X8 and Maverick Hunter X self.  Rest is just opinion.  I'm okay with this though.

One thing that i'm really enjoying in the Dawn of X arc is how they're setting up X1 but in a way that it gives more weight to the character relationships.  X and Zero's friendship, X eventually joining the Maverick Hunters, the fire of Vile's hatred towards X, and of course X & Sigma.

I do wonder if they'll do Day of Sigma first or do something a tad different before we see the X1 arc (if they do start the X comic line...)

and for some wishing, maybe after X1...some personality or a small background story to Green Biker Dude?   :V

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #276 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:30 AM
So I'm finally getting around to reading these and found a torrent for issues 1-33 (and I also got the requisite Sonic Universe/Sonic the Hedgehog issues for the crossover too).

Pretty good. Very good writing and lots of easter eggs too. Like during Proto Man's backstory, there was that guy on a green bike who was called Green Biker Dude.

My only question is why didn't I start reading these earlier?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #277 on: July 28, 2014, 04:26:45 PM
Vile always seemed like a smack talker anyway, comic is just giving him more chances to talk said smack.  XD

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #278 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:20 PM
And it's such GOOD smack~  >0<

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #279 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:24 PM
Yeah, I agree.  Vile is about as chatty as I'd expect given X8 and MHX, and his personality is pretty well in line with them.  For as weird as his obsessive hatred of X comes off as in MHX, I could see the comics leading into that pretty well.

Wasn't Sigma's scars from X pulling off the Shining Finger on him in Day of Sigma?  XD
Well, the old manga had Sigma burning his own face with his fingers when he announced his rebellion.  But yeah, I prefer TDoS's version, and I'm pretty sure game remake should trump derivative media so far as "canon" goes.

(also, Flame is correct, Zero ripped off half of Sigma's face, so that doesn't really work for me either)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #280 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:42 AM
Mainly Penders and Penders, with a side of Archie.  The deal with SEGA way back when the book was starting was that SEGA would own e v e r y t h i n g.  All creators were meant to sign contracts stating they gave the rights to their creations to SEGA.  Either Archie just plain forgot to get him to sign, or (more likely) his contract was lost years ago. A former Archie staffer let slip in court documents that apparently they lost a lot of contracts from their warehouse in the 90s.  The settlement with Archie was apparently them refusing to acknowledge he owns anything, but agreeing not to sue him for use of the characters he says he came up with. They couldn't say he owned anything without angering SEGA, who Ken was trying to sue. And he'd still like to, but after the settlement was agreed on it turned out that he'd botched the lawsuit against SEGA and his chance to sue over Sonic Chronicles expired. So now he's saying he'd be happy licensing if Archie agreed to a bunch of looney conditions, but Archie can't license because they refuse to admit he owns anything, and besides SEGA wouldn't want money going to a man actively looking for ways to sue them.

So in the end the only winners in this mess were the lawyers.
You know, I never responded to this because I didn't want to derail a thread talking about the Mega Man comic, but I've been doing some searching lately and it seems pretty certain that there's more to the reboot than just the Penders lawsuit.  Ian Flynn is being considerably more tight-lipped than Penders so it's hard to get any solid info, but Flynn has said that he's not to use the term "Mobius" anymore, and there is no way in hell Penders has any dominion over that.

I've read posts by Glitcher stating that he believes Sega passed down a number of new mandates to Archie, including that game characters are not to be shown to age (Sonic is not referenced in any of the "origin" stories that Archie has been discussing), not to be in any "serious" relationships (Sally has been friend-zoned since the reboot, I guess that would explain why), and are not to have family members (Unlce Chuck appears to be an exception, probably because he has SatAM roots, but all "parent" characters to game characters have been absent so far, whether created by Penders or not).  Glitcher didn't provide a source, but if true, it's a stupidly misguided move, and honestly one that shakes my faith in the comic.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #281 on: August 05, 2014, 06:02:17 PM
Ian Flynn has occasionally mentioned the above over at Bumbleking Forums.

Also, recently he wrote:
Something to keep in mind: while I'm all about incorporating as much as possible, there are games that aren't considered part of the game canon:
- Super Rockman Adventure
- Rockman & Forte 2: Challengers of the Future
- the tactical RPG with the Constellation Droids
- the awful PC ports with Shark Man and the like
- the Monopoly-esque board game

Obviously, I've been allowed to use some of this. (e.g. Ra Moon, Mayor L. Derado) Some stuff I've specifically been told not to use (Rockman & Forte 2). But when trying to rationalize the time travel and alien elements, or lack thereof, you should consider that most of the alien encounters and time travel didn't happen as far as the main series is concerned.

Can't say I quite agree with non-canon Super Adventure.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #282 on: August 09, 2014, 01:20:43 AM
[spoiler=Personal Issues]...how F*@#!ing asleep was I when I wrote that?  I could have sworn I was sending a PM. o-O[/spoiler]

Well, anyway, I'm inclined to agree with you about SAR.  To be fair, "canon" in the world of Classic Mega Man side-games is something one could take a little loosely, but I'd say it's just as valid in that sense as any of the GB titles.

And...seriously, it's pretty obvious that Flynn WANTED to use it.  I haven't played the game and even I know that a lot more than Ra Moon was lifted from it.  Double Buster, EM field, Roll's mortality hanging in the balance, and so on.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #283 on: August 10, 2014, 01:34:49 PM
I'd say it's just as valid in that sense as any of the GB titles.

That's exactly what I argued. It's an in-house Capcom product, no matter how much Inafune or anyone dislikes it. As such, I can only reckon it's a matter of absent localization instead. Perhaps that's also what's troubling Challenger From The Future most, because outsourcing the World games didn't affect their canon status either.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #284 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:26 AM
You know, I never responded to this because I didn't want to derail a thread talking about the Mega Man comic, but I've been doing some searching lately and it seems pretty certain that there's more to the reboot than just the Penders lawsuit.  Ian Flynn is being considerably more tight-lipped than Penders so it's hard to get any solid info, but Flynn has said that he's not to use the term "Mobius" anymore, and there is no way in hell Penders has any dominion over that.

I've read posts by Glitcher stating that he believes Sega passed down a number of new mandates to Archie, including that game characters are not to be shown to age (Sonic is not referenced in any of the "origin" stories that Archie has been discussing), not to be in any "serious" relationships (Sally has been friend-zoned since the reboot, I guess that would explain why), and are not to have family members (Unlce Chuck appears to be an exception, probably because he has SatAM roots, but all "parent" characters to game characters have been absent so far, whether created by Penders or not).  Glitcher didn't provide a source, but if true, it's a stupidly misguided move, and honestly one that shakes my faith in the comic.
Ive heard that it was Sega requesting the Sonic Comics be brought more in-line with the games, which is the reason behind this

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #285 on: August 12, 2014, 02:31:44 AM
That's exactly what I argued. It's an in-house Capcom product, no matter how much Inafune or anyone dislikes it. As such, I can only reckon it's a matter of absent localization instead. Perhaps that's also what's troubling Challenger From The Future most, because outsourcing the World games didn't affect their canon status either.
Even that would be more justifying after the point than anything.  I mean, once upon a time, RM&F was in that same limbo.

It's a weirdass formula that didn't work as well as anyone was hoping.  That's all anyone's got to discredit it, but if you own the IP then I guess that's all the reason you need.

World may be ironically easier to dismiss because it is a series in itself, so if the main series doesn't acknowledge it (which it really didn't before RM&F) then it's very easy to separate the two.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #286 on: August 26, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #287 on: August 26, 2014, 09:45:23 PM

Also, recently he wrote:

Can't say I quite agree on Megaman Soccer not being part of this list.  -_-

In all seriousness, though, like Hyper argued, canon is sort of more of a.. Formality with the Classic series at least, since not much of anything besides primary plotlines carry over to anything else. Also, looks like they're diving straight into Mega Man 3's Robot Masters now, huh? Or has that been happening for a while?

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #288 on: August 26, 2014, 11:36:42 PM
well tomorrow is the 4th and last part of the X/Classic Crossover, the next 4 issues thereafter is Megaman 3, so who knows what'll happen.

I do have a feeling the Megaman 3 arc might be as long as the Super Adventure Rockman arc.

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #289 on: August 28, 2014, 10:52:44 PM
posting a few pages that I thought were awesome, amusing, iseewhatudidthar, and stuff~ *crosses fingers they get to start the Megaman X comics :D*

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

datSigmaRapeFace

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #290 on: August 29, 2014, 01:37:26 AM
Broken links, can't see anything :(

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #291 on: August 29, 2014, 03:38:09 AM
It's fixed now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #292 on: August 30, 2014, 06:43:12 AM
Also, looks like they're diving straight into Mega Man 3's Robot Masters now, huh? Or has that been happening for a while?
Well, the buildup's been there for a while.  The Masters appeared during the Ra Moon arc, and since then, Wily's allegedly reformed, MM3 RMs raided during Gamma's reveal, and we saw the development of Doc Robot.  All of this went down before Dawn of X.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #293 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:51 AM

Also, recently he wrote:

Keep in mind that he's very possibly just passing on what Capcom told him in terms of it being canon.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #294 on: September 02, 2014, 11:52:15 AM
Keep in mind that he's very possibly just passing on what Capcom told him in terms of it being canon.

Capcom USA.

Offline Mary_Nelson

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #295 on: November 15, 2014, 08:55:36 AM
It's pretty interesting seeing how this book ties together all the "space" plot threads that were ignored in the games

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #296 on: January 30, 2015, 03:31:53 AM
I don't know if anyone is still posting here since last year. But I have to say.... Just got comic #45 in the mail, and....

THEY CHANGED ARTISTS.... WHY?????? I don't think I like the art style they did in this edition #. I liked the art style before #45. :(

Is this normal in the comic industry that a single company goes through different artists every now and then?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #297 on: January 30, 2015, 03:59:03 AM
Yeah, it's a very regular occurrence.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #298 on: January 30, 2015, 04:21:40 AM
I don't know if anyone is still posting here since last year. But I have to say.... Just got comic #45 in the mail, and....

THEY CHANGED ARTISTS.... WHY?????? I don't think I like the art style they did in this edition #. I liked the art style before #45. :(

Is this normal in the comic industry that a single company goes through different artists every now and then?

Agreed artist changing happens a lot with comics, IDW has changed artists more than a few times with transformers for example and not always for the better. The most infamous being the Heart of Darkness story arc--that was a pretty [parasitic bomb] art style.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #299 on: February 27, 2015, 02:16:16 AM
I'm sure some people want to discuss this if they aren't using the general Comic thread in Off the Wall to do so or the Sonic Comic Thread.

http://i.imgur.com/t85MKw7.jpg

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection