AquaTeamV3 · 3119

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
on: June 29, 2010, 02:55:49 AM

Welcome to the newest installment in the 'Rate and Discuss' series.  This topic features an ability that really lets you fly, the Treble Boost!

The Treble Boost was first introduced in Megaman & Bass and later made its re-appearance in Megaman 10.  Of course, it was toned down signifigantly from Bass' appearances as a boss in MM7 and MM8, the latter of which was fueled by the Evil Energy.  This ability allows Bass' robo-hound Treble to fuse with his master, allowing free-flight as well as a spread shot (as well as turning a nice shade of purple!).  The spread shots do double the damage Bass' shots normally do (equal to Mega Man's), and give you some extra coverage.  You can even hit a single enemy with all 3 shots, although this certainly requires a bit more precision, as you may just end up flying into the very thing you were trying to avoid.  This also essentially functions as a combination of Rush Jet and Rush Coil for Bass, although the Treble Boost drains energy faster than either.

In Megaman & Bass, this upgrade had its uses, although it generally wasn't necessary unless you were trying to save time or grab a few otherwise unreachable CDs. It became a lot more practical in MM10, despite the game already feeling easy with Bass' standard mobility.  There were a few situations where you could use this to navigate certain segments of the game with much less difficulty (see: Commando Man), and it was there in situations as a replacement for Rush/Proto Coil.  It also had a rather useful property; if the Treble Boost ran out of energy, your buster used the exact same mechanics as Mega Man's!  This means that it was just as strong as his blue counterpart's and could also be fired by moving.  Combined with the dash mechanic, it almost feels as if you're playing as X!

Overall, the Treble Boost was a pretty decent upgrade, but I personally don't find it as fun to use as the variations Megaman has had (i.e. Rush Power).  The time limit certainly counts towards this, and if it weren't for the CDs and the use of Megaman's buster in MM10, I'd really have no motivation to use it other than when I just feel lazy.  6/10.

Post your opinions/ratings/thoughts here!

P.S. If you want me to rate a specific weapon next, let me know!

Previous installments:

Homing Missile
Splash Mine
Rush Power Adapter
Eagle Ride Armor
Vacuum Arm
Falcon Armor
Hyper Shell
Arrow Shot
Blade Arm
Shining Laser
Spread Buster (MML1)
Team/Brother Style
Ground Crawler

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:43:06 AM
Personally I love combining robots in all their forms, from Transformers and Voltron, to the few we get to see in Megaman.  Treble boost is no exception.  I especially loved the first appearance of it in Megaman 7 since I could have Rush combine with Megaman and have a combining robot showdown with Bass.  Probably one of the most fun battles in the game if not the entire series.

That said I hope combining rush comes back some day.

AntiBunny

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 08:05:31 AM
Why does this make me want to say

SHIN GATTAI,GREAT EXKAISER

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:55:49 AM
I always loved Treble Boost more than the Rush Adapters for some reason...  I dunno, I just feel that Rush belongs as his own entity.

Treble Boost is lots of fun, but yeah, you gotta watch that energy.  Also gotta watch your B button if playing MM10 with a Wii remote, seeings how that'll drop you out of the air real fast. O:<

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)