X4 is really overrated

zuschzero · 39375

Offline zuschzero

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
on: August 10, 2012, 10:23:33 PM
After played X4 a couple of times, I have to say I have a hard time understanding what is so good about X4.

Frost Walrus and Cyber Peacock are the only interesting levels, I admit that Split Mushroom also has some moments, but the rest of the stages are very generic. Magma Dragoon is maybe the worst, 70% of the stage is just about dodging magma meteors.
The boss battles commutes from average to good, but nothing outstanding.
Most of the uncharged weapons seems very weak.
The fortress levels are just half-stages, they're so short.

Capcom underutilized the Playstation's capabilities when created this game. X2 offers a lot more, and that's just a SNES game.

What do you think? Valid points or not?

Archer

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:32:52 PM
I think the whole Mega Man series as a whole is overrated, so I guess I agree with you to a point.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 02:21:51 AM
you don't say

I do agree with you on some merits about it being overrated, story is okay at best (feels like an anime episode at best with villain of the week and what-have-you), and sometimes getting the light capsules were annoying at times. I also bet people only played it for the Zero experience, as for some reason.

But in general.. eeeeehhh. I think Mega Man's not the hot topic in the american gaming industry like he was during his 1990s-2006/8 run. But I guess it can be said for many franchises no?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:48:59 AM
Zero was pretty much SUPA HARD CHALLENGE MODE since only 4 mavericks actually had weaknesses at least X5 and the other games made it fair for him.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:19:51 AM
It's five.  Frost Walrus, Jet Stingray, Split Mushroom, Cyber Peacock, and Storm Owl.

I don't think X4 is underrated in the least, most of zz's points are subjective.  I REALLY don't see anything that X2 offers that X4 doesn't.  What I will say, though, is that X4 *IS* perhaps the single easiest main series X game, but I don't consider challenge to be a measure of quality.

It's true that Zero's debut in and of itself gives the game quite a highlight, but I would also say that X4 is of a slightly higher caliber than its PS1 follow-ups in terms of visuals, overall music, and the balance and pacing of boss battles.  It was the last to use the "traditional" X-series formula of relying strictly on capsules and heart tanks before later games shook things up.  It also happens to have the single greatest helmet upgrade ever; you can't not love infinite Twin Slasher.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:34:35 AM
It's true that Zero's debut in and of itself gives the game quite a highlight, but I would also say that X4 is of a slightly higher caliber than its PS1 follow-ups in terms of visuals, overall music, and the balance and pacing of boss battles. 

I definitely disagree on the "overall music" part of X4. I consider X4 to be one of the weakest X series soundtracks. I thought both X5 & X6 had much better instrument decisions. X4 was a bit too high pitched, the boss battle themes did absolutely nothing for me, and the final boss stages were also pretty weak as well. I mean, X5 I can argue is not for everyone, but X6 had a fantastic soundtrack especially compared to X4.

I wish X had a better story line in X4 as well. Other than that and the soundtrack, the game itself is pretty damn solid.

Offline zuschzero

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:42 PM
I REALLY don't see anything that X2 offers that X4 doesn't.

X2 has the best level design IMO, dozens of stuffs on the stages (chasing lava, warning system, weather control etc.)
Every boss has some interesting or funny moves (W. Gator drills holes into the wall, O. Ostrich runs in the background, M. Centipede take your abilities etc.)
Almost every weapon is useful in numerous ways, but I admit that the arsenal in X1 is better.

That's what X4 doesn't seem to offer.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 04:41:12 PM
Oh, another of these "so-and-so is overrated" threads other less intelligent forums have used to death.

In other news, people have opinions.

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 05:02:38 AM
X4 is pretty fun, but the story does leave a little to be desired, particularly when it comes to X.  I think the main draw I have with X4 lies in the stage design of the last few levels.  I mean, you trek through 8 stages that are fairly large and well-designed.  Then after that you get to Space Port, which is a fun yet short stage.  Then you only get one Final Weapon stage (another short one) before the "re-fight" stage.  It's just underwhelming; there really should have been an expansion on the final levels.

Other complaint would be that X4's a little too easy, although Ugly Head Sigma's debris attack almost makes up for that in itself.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:12 PM
Final Sigma is pretty tough IMO. Gave me such a [tornado fang]ing hard time. ESPECIALLY giant ugly head Sigma. Not to mention, "hey, two lifebars!"

I have a soft spot for X4 because it's the last X game to follow the style of X1-3, in aesthetics and [parasitic bomb], before X5 expanded the universe and switched things up a bit.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:19:34 PM
I dunno, Big Gun Sigma is a cakewalk because verything is so telegraphed.  First 2 forms are easy too because it's entirely your fault if they break out the harder attacks (Reaper Sigma orbs and letting the scythe hit the floor in the 2nd form).  I just think that the debris attack is so OP that it bumps up the difficulty alone.  You can't really dodge it consistently (have fun if it comes out of the floor) and there's no way to manipulate him into using the wind attack.  I'd say it's worse than X5's purple block attack TBH.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:33 PM
I dunno, Big Gun Sigma is a cakewalk because verything is so telegraphed.  First 2 forms are easy too because it's entirely your fault if they break out the harder attacks (Reaper Sigma orbs and letting the scythe hit the floor in the 2nd form).  I just think that the debris attack is so OP that it bumps up the difficulty alone.  You can't really dodge it consistently (have fun if it comes out of the floor) and there's no way to manipulate him into using the wind attack.  I'd say it's worse than X5's purple block attack TBH.

[sonic slicer] be no problem for me, I usually hang around in the middle/far right of the arena before ugly head Siggy attacks, giving enough room to dodge. If I remember correctly you can also destroy the projectiles.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:53:01 PM
I think Reaper and Scythe Sigma were pretty easy with both X and Zero if you know what you're doing.

However, the Final Sigma is pretty damn hard with Zero, and the battle just takes a while with X.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:09 AM
X4 to this day has one of my least favourite final Sigma battles. It always struck me as pretty incoherent and all over the place.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 02:03:30 AM
X4 level design is IMO kind of a strange thing. I don't think any of it is particularly clever, but I have a lot of fun plowing through those stages, especially as Zero. The fact that they're short and to the point is a plus in my book. There is no Metal Shark Player trash compactor/Mattrex lava equivalent, you can just fly through any X4 area with not a lot of stalling.

The game as a whole is one of my favorites, but X1 and X2 are way above. Zero makes up for the weak arsenal.

I have a soft spot for X4 because it's the last X game to follow the style of X1-3, in aesthetics and [parasitic bomb], before X5 expanded the universe and switched things up a bit.

I'm with Flame there. X4 is closer to the X1-X3 art style/classic features (like X's armor parts being useful on their own as you collect them) and that's cool. Definitely feels like a natural evolution after X3.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:52 AM
There's a lot I agree with in this thread. The game is pretty easy, and does have one of the weaker soundtracks. And the animated cutscenes probably are a huge nostalgia factor to us. But to call it overrated... Maybe I can agree with that, but just keep in mind being overrated doesn't make it bad. X4 is still the best put together and most accessible of the three PS1 games.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:41:14 AM
I dunno, I always thought X4's soundtrack was pretty good. It's one of my favorite, if not my most favorite- X OST. Only track I feel is just odd, is the battle theme. It feels too passive.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 07:23:44 PM
I just really did not like the instrument choices in X4. Too squeaky and high pitched. I mean, it's not MMII Game Boy bad, but still coming off of the X1-3 and then hearing X5-6, it's just really weak.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:13 PM
X4's a solid X game and one of my favorites, but I really think they should've rethought the visual design and not put quite so much focus (cash/effort-wise) into it. I don't think the false depth perspective of the floors/stages really adds anything, and the backgrounds are very starkly pre-rendered CGI most of the time. Still, it's a very nice looking game, but where I loved the visuals of each SNES game, I felt this PSX style got old quick. The music's very different from the hard-rocking SNES sound that we all know and love, but to it's credit, X4's soundtrack features much less repetitive music than some of X2's soundtrack and some more of X3's. I jam to it easily. It fits the game experience well, but it's definitely not my favorite soundtrack.

Plus I hate X's shot sprites. They look so weak until you get the Plasma Shot--IF you get the Plasma Shot.

The cutscenes were .... okay. X should've been more involved in the story than he was. I know it was supposed to be Zero's big debut as a playable character--the first real chance to dig into his character--but it's still Mega Man X. That's what I'm paying for. I love me some Zero, but not when he's hijacking the series from another character I really like.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:27 AM
the backgrounds are very starkly pre-rendered CGI most of the time.
That's X5. (and some of X6) from what i can tell, MOST of X4 is sprited, or is at least of CGI quality that meshes well with the sprited parts.

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:59:48 PM
I dunno. I remember X4's intro background looking mostly of CGI pre-renders aside from an animated gif of CAPCOM flashing on a building or too. And that cyber-eye in Cyber Peacock's stage.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 12:13:05 AM
About the only thing I DIDN'T like about X4, besides Iris dying, anyway, is the fact that X and Zero were taken solo.  X and Zero play too well off of each other for me to consider separating them to be all that worthwhile.

Also one thing I do not believe I mentioned: X4 has the single best Ride Chaser stage in the series.  And the Eagle Ride Armor, exclusive to X4, is wonderfully broken.

I definitely disagree on the "overall music" part of X4. I consider X4 to be one of the weakest X series soundtracks. I thought both X5 & X6 had much better instrument decisions. X4 was a bit too high pitched, the boss battle themes did absolutely nothing for me, and the final boss stages were also pretty weak as well. I mean, X5 I can argue is not for everyone, but X6 had a fantastic soundtrack especially compared to X4.

I wish X had a better story line in X4 as well. Other than that and the soundtrack, the game itself is pretty damn solid.
I'm pretty sure Dinorex has all of X4 beaten in the "high pitched" department.  Further X5 really bombed on X's theme and the standard boss music, both key pieces in a game's music library (not that X5 didn't hit its high points among Zero, Sigma, and the special bosses).  The Zero Virus music was an impressive piece in itself, but really is ill suited for stage music, IMHO.  X6's soundtrack I like quite a bit, believe me.

In terms of individual tracks I'd easily concede that X6 and even X5 generally hit higher points than X4 did, but they also hit more low spots as well (ESPECIALLY X5).  On the whole I simply found the quality of X4's soundtrack to be more consistent, thus leading to more memorable tracks.  For me, personally, X4 had one of my favorite character themes for X in the series, and definitely my favorite for Dr. Light.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 03:45:05 AM
Also one thing I do not believe I mentioned: X4 has the single best Ride Chaser stage in the series.  

While I do agree that level kicked way 4 more asses than any Ride Armor stage since, mostly for me because of the music, I still liked it better how in Overdrive Ostrich's stage you could get on, get off, and turn back and forth at your liberty. That's never been done before or since.

I'm pretty sure Dinorex has all of X4 beaten in the "high pitched" department.  Further X5 really bombed on X's theme and the standard boss music, both key pieces in a game's music library (not that X5 didn't hit its high points among Zero, Sigma, and the special bosses).  The Zero Virus music was an impressive piece in itself, but really is ill suited for stage music, IMHO.  X6's soundtrack I like quite a bit, believe me.

Dude, we agree so effing much on these points. I've always hated how stupid X's theme sounded in X5 compared to Zero's. That annoyed me since day one. What is he, Mr. Happy Fun Time Parade Clown? That's always what the music reminded me of. The difference is just SO jarring. Also, I've never been a huge fan of the Zero Virus music either. Too techno-trance dance floor music for me. And X6 does have a better soundtrack overall than X5.

For me, personally, X4 had one of my favorite character themes for X in the series, and definitely my favorite for Dr. Light.

Yeah, I agree with that as well. Both X and Zero's themes were great and sounded appropriate, and the new Dr. Light theme had a really nice melody to it that went at the same beat as the original X1 capsule theme. I liked it even more after listening to this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQfyrqsHH8[/youtube]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:49 AM
I love X5's X theme. :T Sounds positive at first, then gets to sounding all determined.

Of course, it can't beat X's X4 theme, but it was still good in my eyes.

As for the Zero virus theme, it was nice, but the fact that it's used not only in the stage select, (as a shortened version without the full melody) but 3 more times after that, in the Virus stages, 1-3. I thought it at least fit the area well, really ambient and melancholy.

X6 definitely has one of the strongest soundtracks though. IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOOOOOWN

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 06:17:55 AM

In terms of individual tracks I'd easily concede that X6 and even X5 generally hit higher points than X4 did, but they also hit more low spots as well (ESPECIALLY X5).  On the whole I simply found the quality of X4's soundtrack to be more consistent, thus leading to more memorable tracks.  For me, personally, X4 had one of my favorite character themes for X in the series, and definitely my favorite for Dr. Light.

I'll easily give you that X4 has X5 beat on the opening themes, cause with X5 X's starts off annoyingly and gets less annoying but not that much better and Zero's is quite forgettable. Here's the thing though. My feelings towards X4's X opening theme are almost the same as my feelings towards MM II GB AirMan's theme. The actual melody is fantastic, but I just do not like the choice of instruments. While it's not Dinorex high pitched, I'll give you that, it's still high pitched enough in the opening and right before the loop were I just find it annoying. There are times that I think it's worse to have a melody you love & hate the instruments then rather the entire song itself be terrible. As for Zero's theme, I think the crazy techno guitar before the loop overdoes it a bit. Speaking of the loop, using the YouTube OST Station as my guide, it loops way too late into the song. It misses out on the softer, better pitched part after the kick ass into. I cannot remember if that is the same as in the game, cause the soundtrack I have for X4 cuts it off after the...2nd crazy techno guitar. If that's the case, then poor loopage on that theme.

You and I have gone back and forth on the boss music for many years now, my dear Shell. This is where I know I'm in the minority, but X5's boss theme is one of my absolute favorites in the whole series. I love the bizarre-ness of the chanters in the opening, the odd techno sounds they chose to use for it, along with awesome guitar work and then the drum finish to start the loop again. X4's starts off high pitched, annoying, and repetitive. Then when that's finally over it's lowers the pitch and by the time they get to actual guitar work at the end, the song loops again. It's short and has so little substance. If I didn't think X3's was worse and if I had ANY clue where they were trying to go with X7's boss music, it'd be my least favorite.

While Zero Rave is ill suited for...everything really, at least it's not f'in boring, which BOTH Final Weapon stage songs are. Not only are they boring, but they are short. Neither of them make it 30 seconds before looping the boredom again. Zero Stage 1 in X5 starts off really well, with the creepiness settling in and the chanters in the background...and then goes off somewhere with it's choice of sounds. And Zero Rave is Zero Rave! XD

Finally, X4's soundtrack may be more consistent as a WHOLE than X5's (since that soundtrack just really gets weird at times) but I think the consistency of X4's instrument choices is what makes it so sub-par. This is comparing it to not just X5 & X6, but all the X soundtracks. I have to really like, or really hate, most things about a song to find it memorable.

Haha, again this is all just opinion though. I really don't like Bruce Springsteen at all and he's BELOVED!  8D