My paper sprites!

DarkFlare360 · 5193

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: November 13, 2010, 08:31:15 PM
It's been a while, so I wanted to show you some of my hand made sprites! I'll post the others ones later, but here's my first! Here he is, my boy, Protoman!

Posted on: 13-11-2010, 19:28:30
Second up, the star himself! Megaman!

Posted on: 13-11-2010, 19:29:33
3rd and final, the most impressive I've made so far, Zero v.2 (from Megaman Zero series)!

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 08:36:34 PM
You're really good a paper craft! ouo

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 11:06:28 PM
Those pieces demand to be laminated, they're things of beauty.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:43:19 AM
Thanks guys! They can be easy to make if you have colored pencils, sprites, graph paper, and scissors! I might make more, have any requests?

Posted on: November 14, 2010, 02:34:55
Did you guys see Megaman Rockin in Paper? Did you like it? How would you like to make a movie just like that? Well, now you can! You see, I came up with an idea to give you guys the chance to! Soon, I hope to create many copies of sprite sheets, out of paper! If you send me 1 color ink cartridge, I will create up to 5 sprites of your choice and send them to you! If you want more details, email me at darkflare360@yahoo.com with the topic: "Paper Sprites". I'll try to read them as soon as possible. Tell me the sprites you want and ask where to send the ink! Please help! After I receive 100 ink cartridges, I'll start a contest with a grand prize of 100 sprites of your choice! So email me soon!

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 03:11:30 AM

and why can't we just print those out ourselves?

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:30 AM
Because you'd be waisting your own time. And I'm probably better at cutting stuff out than most of you.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:33:42 AM
Also, I think you should just stick this question in your original paper sprite thread.
Merging.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:51:11 AM
Are you saying we aren't good at cutting things?

I'm... not sure if I should be offended or not o.o

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 07:56:53 AM
Because you'd be waisting your own time. And I'm probably better at cutting stuff out than most of you.
What? How dare you insult my cutting skills, I've been cutting stuff way before you were born, kid. What makes you think you're better than anyone here?

This being a waste of time is a whole different story though...

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:25:51 AM
Not trying to offend anyone on my other post, I said most of you, not all.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:41 AM
Not trying to offend anyone on my other post, I said most of you, not all.

That was still a dick move post.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 06:36:59 AM
Strike one for you, DarkFlare360.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37:52 AM
Well, I'm not very good at cutting... >:

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 02:27:21 PM
I said most of you, I know that some people are better than me.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:47 AM
Like those of us who can wield an X-Acto knife like a lightsaber and produce intricate die-cut business cards for marketing design projects...

Anywho, returning to the topic of paper sprites...  They are a cute idea, but I think you may have a better chance of finding buyers if you vary up the product a bit.  Perhaps invest in printable magnet paper and sticker paper and make magnets and stickers.  Also, try putting the sprites on heavier-stock paper and laminating them, then attaching pins to the back.  With a larger variety in the products that you can make with the paper sprites, you may be able to find some buyers at local conventions and dealers' markets.  Perhaps see about setting up a stand at a local flea market or mall.

Also, if you plan to sell these, I would suggest tightening up your colouring a bit more.  Perhaps use Prismacolor markers or even paints.  The more professional you can make your work, the better the chance of attracting buyers.

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 06:39:02 PM
Actualy, I am going to print them for my buissnes, but about redoing my current ones, it's kind of harder to do with stuff other than collered pencils because I cant erase with others. Do you have a request to make? I might make it.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 03:27:37 AM
Coloured pencils are a fine choice of medium (one of my favourites to use, actually), though I would still suggest to work on tightening up your colouring, to make it a bit more solid.  And while graph paper is alright for the time being, I would suggest that in the future to look into scaling up your sprites onto a more professional surface, such as Bristol board.  It may take some practice and several pieces of paper before a perfect scale is figured out, but in the end it will be worth it for portfolio pieces.

At conventions and collectors' markets, there will be a market for these sprites.  You have a potential gold mine in your hands, you will no doubt attract many customers once you put your work out there.  However, since many of us are quite capable of using scissors, X-Acto knives, rulers, and cutting mats, attracting buyers for just the sprites alone may be a bit tough.  Offering a variety of products will bring in a variety of consumers.  I mean, who wouldn't want a Protoman sprite pin for their messenger bag?  Or a Zero sprite magnet to hold up their grocery list?  If you attach clips to the backs, you can make barrettes, too.  I know I would wear a Metal Blade in my hair.

At Ohayocon one year, there was a dealer selling anime emoti-symbols.  These were very simplistic, merely laminated drawings with a clip taped to the back.  The dealer was charging $2 a piece for these things.  And believe me, these were selling quite well.  Another dealer was selling text smiley pins for $3 a piece.  If you were to turn these sprites into pins, magnets, stickers, clips, t-shirts, etc., I bet you would easily make $100 or more on them.

As for requests... I don't have any at the moment. 

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:53 AM
Dude, is that your bed?

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:48 AM
Dude, is that your bed?
How did you know? It is!

Posted on: December 01, 2010, 00:18:50
Like those of us who can wield an X-Acto knife like a lightsaber and produce intricate die-cut business cards for marketing design projects...

Anywho, returning to the topic of paper sprites...  They are a cute idea, but I think you may have a better chance of finding buyers if you vary up the product a bit.  Perhaps invest in printable magnet paper and sticker paper and make magnets and stickers.  Also, try putting the sprites on heavier-stock paper and laminating them, then attaching pins to the back.  With a larger variety in the products that you can make with the paper sprites, you may be able to find some buyers at local conventions and dealers' markets.  Perhaps see about setting up a stand at a local flea market or mall.

Also, if you plan to sell these, I would suggest tightening up your colouring a bit more.  Perhaps use Prismacolor markers or even paints.  The more professional you can make your work, the better the chance of attracting buyers.
Is that what you use to cut stuff out better? I have wanted to know for a long time!

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 05:37:49 AM
Yeah, an X-Acto knife is what I primarily use when cutting things out.  It can be tricky to use at first, but with a good cutting mat, a metal ruler, and lots of patience and control, you'll be able to cut out intricate designs far easier than with scissors.  X-Acto knives are better for cutting out holes, too, without cutting into the paper or folding it in half.

Careful though...  If you have a really sharp blade, it won't take much to slice yourself open.  Keep Band-Aids handy when practicing until you gain control over the blade.  And those blades are also very thin and therefore fragile.  Try not to press too hard, else they will snap.

Offline DarkFlare360

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 11, 2010, 05:33:26 PM
Yeah, an X-Acto knife is what I primarily use when cutting things out.  It can be tricky to use at first, but with a good cutting mat, a metal ruler, and lots of patience and control, you'll be able to cut out intricate designs far easier than with scissors.  X-Acto knives are better for cutting out holes, too, without cutting into the paper or folding it in half.

Careful though...  If you have a really sharp blade, it won't take much to slice yourself open.  Keep Band-Aids handy when practicing until you gain control over the blade.  And those blades are also very thin and therefore fragile.  Try not to press too hard, else they will snap.
I have one now, but I lost it.