The Kingdom Hearts Thread

VixyNyan · 392119

Aresian

Reply #750 on: September 09, 2010, 11:24:42 PM
The QTEs had one single button to press, and you could no longer do cool moves like Ars Arcanum or Sonic Blade. You just did the enemy-specific moves with the QTEs, and MASHED MASHED MASHED the X button like crazy, which made the gameplay exceedingly simple.

With this gameplay, you have TONS of Arcanum-like moves to select, each with their own style and twists, you have tons of drive-like forms which you switch to at random, depending on the moves you use (if you use alot of fire moves in a row, you get a fire form) and the whole game seems to move faster and more accurately than the others. It's a deeper system, and to select the moves, you don't have to go through a complicated menu, no. All you have to do is select it from the always-available list with the d-pad, and use the move with the triangle button. The list is ALWAYS there and it doesn't collapse like in KH1 and 2. You get more slots to equip stuff as you go on.

Look at it any way you want it. It's moving from the casual "MASH X LOTSA TIMES" to a more refined system, that doesn't focus on enemy-specific attacks for which you just have to press the damn triangle button over and over.

Rightfully so in the flexibility of the gameplay; albeit, I thought there was too "much" in the system of BBS and thus it gave me the same overwhelming feeling of the menu system. It works, don't get me wrong. It's just too much for my tastes.

However, the reason I like the QTEs is because of the cinematic effect. To be that was the awesome charm of KH2. You were capable of doing crazy, amazing and UNIQUE things with each enemy/boss. That actually made fighting enemies interesting to me. It made meeting new monsters and facing the Orgy guys all the more interesting when you could do crazy [parasitic bomb] out of the blue. I suppose I'm the only kind of person that appreciates the cinematic effect of stuff like that.

But then I guess that is expected of someone that thinks of outright gameplay last. *shrugs* Well, if you're not like me (which is basically everyone here), you'll prefer BBS to KH2. So, give it a shot Acid.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #751 on: September 09, 2010, 11:37:52 PM
Man you two really love another.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #752 on: September 09, 2010, 11:38:30 PM
Gonna agree with Superbat on this one. The battle system is definitly a step above from the rest. Once you get a hang of it, you'll be able to try out various different combinations and commands to see what works best for you during a certain battle or just overall. That aside, the Command Board may slow down the pacing of the game a bit, but i still had fun using it. Not to mention it does give you advantages to level up your commands.

(But i DID like the QTE and would've been interesting to see that in here, just not an extensive amount. It's no big deal anyway)

Go for it.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #753 on: September 10, 2010, 12:10:50 AM
Rightfully so in the flexibility of the gameplay; albeit, I thought there was too "much" in the system of BBS and thus it gave me the same overwhelming feeling of the menu system. It works, don't get me wrong. It's just too much for my tastes.

However, the reason I like the QTEs is because of the cinematic effect. To be that was the awesome charm of KH2. You were capable of doing crazy, amazing and UNIQUE things with each enemy/boss. That actually made fighting enemies interesting to me. It made meeting new monsters and facing the Orgy guys all the more interesting when you could do crazy [parasitic bomb] out of the blue. I suppose I'm the only kind of person that appreciates the cinematic effect of stuff like that.

But then I guess that is expected of someone that thinks of outright gameplay last. *shrugs* Well, if you're not like me (which is basically everyone here), you'll prefer BBS to KH2. So, give it a shot Acid.
Most people will agree with me that although cinematic effects look cool, games are for playing, not just watching. So QTEs are fun, but really do nothing but limit a game. If the QTEs actually had different buttons to press, I'd be a bit more pleased. But it's one single button. It's the "press to win" button, and I just hate that kind of logic. It's a fun movie, but it's definetly not a good GAMEPLAY mechanic.

While BBS is exceedingly simple. All you gotta do it select the commands you want, and pick them as you're battling. It's simpler than most games. You'd rather have a game that is simply based on pressing a single button over and over to win, with no challenge at all and just repetition over and over, instead of some actual VARIETY in battle? May be okay with you, but it's not really a point that favors a game in quality of gameplay. The commands don't even require learning combos or anything like that. It's just selecting them as you go. What could be more simple than that?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #754 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:29 AM
I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU. CAUSE I LOVED MGS4.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #755 on: September 10, 2010, 12:40:44 AM
I AGREE WITH BOTH OF YOU. CAUSE I LOVED MGS4.
MGS4's main schtick was variety, though. =P The thing was that the cutscenes were too big, but DAMN if the game didn't have a thousand different ways to go through a section.

Aresian

Reply #756 on: September 10, 2010, 02:19:16 AM
Herp Derp. I don't like having to move from the [tornado fang]ing DIRECTIONAL BUTTON to the JOYSTICK to move.

It's not fluid, it's not even "simple" in the least. And it's also BACKWARDS. What the [tornado fang]? Reversed Direction for the menu? How confusing is that. Trying to move, jump from menu to menu and what have you... ugh.

Well, there's nothing left for me to say here I guess. Hop skip jump

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #757 on: September 10, 2010, 02:28:49 AM
Herp Derp. I don't like having to move from the [tornado fang]ing DIRECTIONAL BUTTON to the JOYSTICK to move.

It's not fluid, it's not even "simple" in the least. And it's also BACKWARDS. What the [tornado fang]? Reversed Direction for the menu? How confusing is that. Trying to move, jump from menu to menu and what have you... ugh.

Well, there's nothing left for me to say here I guess. Hop skip jump
It's been like that for every KH game, including KH2 if you didn't use shortcuts. The menu's like moving a roulette manually, so it works reversed. It's not that bad.

Most PSP games like MGS:PW require the directional buttons for stuff like camera or imput. It's because of the console's lack of buttons. Kingdom Hearts, being a very simple and easy game to play, uses the d-pad very little, to be honest. If you're THAT aversed to multitasking in a game, I don't advise you to try better stuff from Nomura, such as The World Ends With You.

Aresian

Reply #758 on: September 10, 2010, 08:06:08 PM
Upon further examination... No Name has a stop watch and other clock features.

It really may be a time traveler. Why it has massive powers of masterlyness... is beyond me. But it is most definitely a time traveler.

Also, I like Aqua's VA. I don't know what the complaint is. I don't have an issue with the VAing in this. Especially considering how long we've come since then.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #759 on: September 10, 2010, 09:20:31 PM
My problem with Aqua's VA is that she's too stiff. She seems like she's reading from the script directly without ever having read it before.

The rest of the actors are top-notch. Nimoy does a great job. People just hate him because he's not KAWAII DESU.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #760 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:40 PM
Not sure if an old man is...well, kawaii desu, but, I guess I get your point.

From what I heard so far (from the bit my brother let me hear from his PSP), it's quite good~ The VAing so far.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #761 on: September 10, 2010, 09:42:51 PM
Of course it's good. Disney VAs are always good.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #762 on: September 10, 2010, 09:49:56 PM
Not sure if an old man is...well, kawaii desu, but, I guess I get your point.

From what I heard so far (from the bit my brother let me hear from his PSP), it's quite good~ The VAing so far.

Damn, you too? He won't even let me get NEAR it.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Aresian

Reply #763 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:32 PM
My problem with Aqua's VA is that she's too stiff. She seems like she's reading from the script directly without ever having read it before.

The rest of the actors are top-notch. Nimoy does a great job. People just hate him because he's not KAWAII DESU.

Yeah, I don't get the whole "KAWAII DESU" in the case of Xehanort.

Aside from that, Nimoy does do a good job. It took getting used to, I'll admit. But it's perfect after a little bit of listening. Just not what I would've expected originally.

Also, I dunno, I didn't get that feeling from Aqua's VA. Then again, everyone reacts differently to different sounds. *shrugs*

Incidently, I'm hoping KH3D isn't the next official installment. It seems too much of a throw back. I'm hoping it is more like a remake of KH1. That way I can skip it if I like, outside of just playing it for Riku action, I'm not interested in going back to the basics. Nor am I interested in going back in time to the original look either.

Too Disney-ey. Too faggy as well, Sora looks like such a douche in his old outfit. >_>

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #764 on: September 10, 2010, 10:10:51 PM
Sora looks like such a douche in his old outfit. >_>

He looks like a Gay Lumberjack in his old outfit. Still does. 8D

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #765 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:13 PM
I actually think his old outfit is the only good one. Because the first game, being the only one in the whole saga that MAKES SENSE TO EXIST, was about the adventure of a little kid going through Disney worlds with an unthreatning weapon, gaining lifelong friends, making peace with his rival and saving the girl. THAT'S where it should have ended. Right there. There is no other game I wish that had completely FAILED in terms of sales than this one. His old outfit made him look like what he was, a little kid.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #766 on: September 10, 2010, 10:52:39 PM
Damn, you too? He won't even let me get NEAR it.

Not exactly.  We were on a bus to get to the theatre to see Machete and well, he started to play BBS and knew I haven't got the chance to get it, so he passed me one half his earphone and well, we chatted away.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #767 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:29 PM
Not exactly.  We were on a bus to get to the theatre to see Machete and well, he started to play BBS and knew I haven't got the chance to get it, so he passed me one half his earphone and well, we chatted away.

Ah, I see. The way my brother sounded he wanted to complete the game in one shot. But damn, he blares my PSP to the point I can hear it from the other room.

Aresian

Reply #768 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:29 AM
I actually think his old outfit is the only good one. Because the first game, being the only one in the whole saga that MAKES SENSE TO EXIST, was about the adventure of a little kid going through Disney worlds with an unthreatning weapon, gaining lifelong friends, making peace with his rival and saving the girl. THAT'S where it should have ended. Right there. There is no other game I wish that had completely FAILED in terms of sales than this one. His old outfit made him look like what he was, a little kid.

And I'm of the opposite thinking, of course. I think that KH1 was merely an experiment to see where they could go and a testbed for a new idea. KH:COM and KH2 were an attempt to see how far they could go with the vague ideas they established. It's things like this that evolve that are my prime suspect of intrigue. There was so much potential with KH1 and they helped realize some of that in KH2 and further in BBS. I personally hope they continue to do so.

I've never been a big fan of Disney. Never will. Disney ain't bad, don't get me wrong... I just never clicked with it. Frankly, I would be satisfied if KH dumped all the Disney stuff and attained more original content and more FF stuff. I don't exactly love Final Fantasy, in fact I tend to be one of it's greater critics... but it CLICKS better together than Sora running around with a crazy ass mage duck and a mutated dog with a SHIELD for a weapon. Seriously, my partners were useless. I only liked having Riku as my partner. However, Mickey is actually pretty badass as a Keyblade Wielder. Always liked Mickey though, despite my general disdain for Disney.

That said, Final Form is a great outfit for Sora. But then, I just like epic white and silver outfits.

Added Note: I do appreciate that they are making the Disney content more serious than it actually was though. It isn't HORRIBLE immersion, it's just not GREAT immersion.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #769 on: September 11, 2010, 01:00:59 AM
And I'm of the opposite thinking, of course. I think that KH1 was merely an experiment to see where they could go and a testbed for a new idea. KH:COM and KH2 were an attempt to see how far they could go with the vague ideas they established. It's things like this that evolve that are my prime suspect of intrigue. There was so much potential with KH1 and they helped realize some of that in KH2 and further in BBS. I personally hope they continue to do so.

I've never been a big fan of Disney. Never will. Disney ain't bad, don't get me wrong... I just never clicked with it. Frankly, I would be satisfied if KH dumped all the Disney stuff and attained more original content and more FF stuff. I don't exactly love Final Fantasy, in fact I tend to be one of it's greater critics... but it CLICKS better together than Sora running around with a crazy ass mage duck and a mutated dog with a SHIELD for a weapon. Seriously, my partners were useless. I only liked having Riku as my partner. However, Mickey is actually pretty badass as a Keyblade Wielder. Always liked Mickey though, despite my general disdain for Disney.

That said, Final Form is a great outfit for Sora. But then, I just like epic white and silver outfits.

Added Note: I do appreciate that they are making the Disney content more serious than it actually was though. It isn't HORRIBLE immersion, it's just not GREAT immersion.
Wow. Story over gameplay, theme over narrative, appreciation of absolute stereotypes, enjoying Final Fantasy over Disney, actually LIKING the way Kingdom Hearts is getting bullshitty over the original concept, liking QTEs better than deeper and still intuitive gameplay...

Jesus Christ. Sorry, man, but I gotta say this. You have what I'd probably call the most horrible gaming taste I have ever heard of in my entire life. o_o

I mean, that's certainly epic. Seriously.

Aresian

Reply #770 on: September 11, 2010, 01:05:42 AM
*shrugs* Dude, I'm not the only one really. That's why there ARE these things just as there are the things you like. Such as thing as "marketability" and what have you. There's a consumer base for things that exist. Another man's trash is another man's treasure, etc. etc.

Hopefully after meeting me you can realize there are no absolutes with this [parasitic bomb] anymore. Someone will like something somewhere and they have their own legitimate reasons for it, whether you can comprehend it or not.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #771 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:56 AM
*shrugs* Dude, I'm not the only one really. That's why there ARE these things just as there are the things you like. Such as thing as "marketability" and what have you. There's a consumer base for things that exist. Another man's trash is another man's treasure, etc. etc.

Hopefully after meeting me you can realize there are no absolutes with this [parasitic bomb] anymore. Someone will like something somewhere and they have their own legitimate reasons for it, whether you can comprehend it or not.
I know, it's why Twilight is so popular. Sure it's unquestionable [parasitic bomb], but people like it. Same as there are people who like MTV dating reality shows, Sarah Palin, Scientology... The list is endless. But your taste kinda englobes pretty much what are considered the worst things in gaming nowadays. I'm sorry for that, dude.

Aresian

Reply #772 on: September 11, 2010, 01:14:21 AM
I know, it's why Twilight is so popular. Sure it's unquestionable [parasitic bomb], but people like it. Same as there are people who like MTV dating reality shows, Sarah Palin, Scientology... The list is endless. But your taste kinda englobes pretty much what are considered the worst things in gaming nowadays. I'm sorry for that, dude.

lol Twilight. I'll never understand that [parasitic bomb].

And well, it takes all kinds really. I think the majority of Gaming Community now is so [tornado fang]ing stupid it drives me apeshit. But I realize without those drug induced nutcases, I wouldn't be where I am now, holding a PSP playing stuff that actually appeals to me. (currently enjoying Valkyria Chronicles 2 with all my heart)

I'm not sorry for what I like, not ashamed for being unable to click with the majority of gamers... because I can still appreciate things that SANE gamers appreciate. A good platformer like Mario. The Zelda Series, Metroid (anything not Prime based) and the majority of the old Final Fantasies. I appreciate the classics. I appreciate a lot of the things most RPMers like, which consist MOSTLY of Classic Gamers (aside from you new bloods, of course, which are a diverse bunch. Not that that is bad really).

All in all, I am me. No more, no less. And I love gaming as much as you do or the next person. I just love it in a different way.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #773 on: September 11, 2010, 01:25:59 AM
I like the game so far. Still not used to the controls though. Never really was a great PSP player.

Soundtrack is ballin' though (mainly the endgame music with all the bossthemes and such).

Offline Nicole Claris

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
    • Rise of Aetheria- An Arts and Roleplaying Site
Reply #774 on: September 11, 2010, 01:27:39 AM
Now you're being ridiculous. You're comparing air headed media whores to someone who just has a different opinion to yourself. MTV dating shows is nothing like enjoying a good jRPG. jRPGs are 99.9% of the time more intelligent.

I started the new Kingdom Hearts game. The controls SUCK. The PS2 controller is NOT the same as the PSP. The joystick is a lot closer to the directional pad. So comparing it to the PS2 is a pointless argument. So it works great for you. Great. Doesn't mean it is for everyone else.

I like the story so far. Yeah the first one was simple, yeah it's different now, but Mario isn't the same as it was. Metroid sure as hell has evolved and changed from the basically faceless platformer it used to be. The game is growing, evolving, making it's own lore. You don't complain when the Halo books come out and flesh out the game universe. This is how they choose to do it. We don't have much control in how they make games. But we can like what we like.

I am tired of reading you completely demeaning someone because they like something different than you. It's one thing to say you disagree but comparing him to something that you mean obviously in a negative character destroying way is so childish I can't just read it anymore without saying something. Be more mature about this. People always disagree.

You can define what YOU think is wrong with games. But you don't have a right to say that about one person. Saying "FPS games are stupid" isn't a personal attack. Telling someone "Thinks YOU like are why all new video games are [parasitic bomb]" is not okay. So just learn what an opinion is. And start respecting other people's. I'm not just talking about with Ares either.

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”
Benjamin Franklin