Nintendo Switch coming in March 2017

Protoman Blues · 41148

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: October 20, 2016, 04:25:01 PM
Nintendo Hand Cramps

This looks really cool though, interesting concept. One of my main concerns would be how powerful it is.

And a nitpick would be the traditional controller, which certainly doesn't seem ergonomically satisfying like the Xbone controller or the DS4. Even the Wii U Pro controller wasn't.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: October 20, 2016, 04:26:37 PM
PHI
I JUST SAID
IT'S STUPID POWERFUL
>200% BETTER THAN MY BROTHER'S GAMING PC

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: October 20, 2016, 04:41:26 PM
If it really is extremely powerful, that begs the question why they stated "it won't replace the Wii U or 3DS".

Also, I'm currently trying to wrap my head around Nintendo finally developing something that isn't severely underpowered.

Edit:

>Switch is revealed
>2 people on RPM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #128 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:11 PM
If it really is extremely powerful, that begs the question why they stated "it won't replace the Wii U or 3DS".
The same reason they stated the DS wouldn't replace the GBA, which it did.  Nintendo likes to leave themselves a back door PR-wise when they do something batshit crazy.

Also they want their new system to be seen outside the expectations of the old ones.  They don't want the Wii U's stigma to hurt the Switch, and they don't want the Switch to prematurely pour cold water on the 3DS (which is why even though it IS the hybrid it was rumored to be, it was announced as their next "home system").

So, GET HYPED!  We saw Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Skyrim.  Skyrim on a Nintendo hardware announcement trailer, didn't see that one coming.

Mario Kart will be bringing back double items and King Boo, hooray!

Ergonomics are questionable, I admit, but the Gamepad was a lot more comfortable than it looked, so we'll see.

IT USES GTX 10XX ARCHITECTURE
TOP OF THE [tornado fang]ing LINE GPU ARCHITECTURE
Source?  Cuz we all know Nintendo doesn't talk specs with the public.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: October 20, 2016, 05:59:27 PM
[tornado fang] skyrim.

Nothing says 'needs to be on nintendo console' like a remaster of a soon to be 6 year old game that's already gonna be out on everything else. It'll be the Mass Effect 3 on Wii U all over again.

Guarantee that third-party line up will start dropping off very quickly. Expecting EA to bail after a single madden.

As for everything else? Battery's probably gonna be a [sonic slicer], i've never been a fan of the concept of a hybrid and am skeptical now that's been confirmed, and the name... Well its not WiiZ or something I guess.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: October 20, 2016, 06:01:06 PM
[tornado fang] skyrim.

Handheld Skyrim, mind you.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: October 20, 2016, 06:53:44 PM
The same reason they stated the DS wouldn't replace the GBA, which it did.  Nintendo likes to leave themselves a back door PR-wise when they do something batshit crazy.

Also they want their new system to be seen outside the expectations of the old ones.  They don't want the Wii U's stigma to hurt the Switch, and they don't want the Switch to prematurely pour cold water on the 3DS (which is why even though it IS the hybrid it was rumored to be, it was announced as their next "home system").

So, GET HYPED!  We saw Zelda, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Skyrim.  Skyrim on a Nintendo hardware announcement trailer, didn't see that one coming.

Mario Kart will be bringing back double items and King Boo, hooray!

Ergonomics are questionable, I admit, but the Gamepad was a lot more comfortable than it looked, so we'll see.
Source?  Cuz we all know Nintendo doesn't talk specs with the public.

I can't stand the gamepad, honestly. It's too wide for me.

And Nintendo actually released the specs for the 3DS soon after the reveal.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: October 20, 2016, 07:06:59 PM
Oh thank god we have multiple controler options, and it has a stand.  However this thing really needs a flip case or some sort of flap like a Tablet in my honest opinion, I'm worried about scratching the screen.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #133 on: October 20, 2016, 09:36:37 PM
IF IT'S COMPATIBLE WITH MY (pathetically small) COLLECTION OF WII U GAMES, I WILL BUY A NINTENDO SWITCH!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: October 20, 2016, 11:02:49 PM
So this thing is rad as all hell, but the most important thing by far is.

Squids.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: October 20, 2016, 11:06:03 PM
Okay, we have the Brand and a Model but not the specific chip it's using.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Ultra PC Savvy people please translate this for me.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: October 20, 2016, 11:43:25 PM
Okay, we have the Brand and a Model but not the specific chip it's using.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Ultra PC Savvy people please translate this for me.

It's a fluff piece to suggest that nVidia and Tegra are happening. Behind the scenes, it's all but confirmed that the part (heavily rumored to be the Tegra X2) will have bits inspired by the latest generation of GeForce cards (the "Pascal" line) and a solid ARM based CPU. Numbers are all in the air though.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:52 PM
Yeah I knew it was pretty much a fluff piece obviously but I wanted a general ballpark because the Chip Processor Power stuff always flies over my head in general since I usually don't give that much of a [parasitic bomb] about it.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:26 AM
Hmm... Battery life will be a concern.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: October 21, 2016, 12:11:57 AM
Yeah we'll probably need an external battery since this thing has a fan built in.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: October 21, 2016, 03:35:09 AM
Well I'm [tornado fang]ing hyped!  8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: October 21, 2016, 04:58:34 AM
Someone made a mock up of the Switch in different colors, while I doubt Nintendo would really do something like this, or at least not as many colors and certainly some colors would be completely "impossible", it would be nice to see.  It'd remind me of the N64 and Gamecube days, good times.

http://imgur.com/a/FSHaK

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: October 21, 2016, 06:15:53 AM
Those look pretty awesome!

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: October 21, 2016, 06:17:52 AM
And with that it seems Nintendo won't provide anymore info about the Switch until 2017, however that doesn't mean we won't get more from 3rd Parties.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #144 on: October 21, 2016, 07:11:22 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping to see some third party announcements as well.  Let's just hope that the ports are CURRENT this time, DQ11 and Sonic are hopefully good signs.

They confirmed Amiibo (no surprise), but they're not talking yet about touch control or region lock.  Pretty easy to guess, but I suppose 2017 will tell for sure.

Expecting EA to bail after a single madden.
Can't argue with that, EA is [parasitic bomb].

Handheld Skyrim, mind you.
Bethesda is not confirming, I guess they're just calling it a mockup.  In fact I'm pretty sure that's par for the course with the rest of the games in the trailer.  It is EXTREMELY unusual to see Bethesda on board with Nintendo in any way, though, so either they're just being coy or they have something else in mind,

Of course we all KNOW Super Mario and Mario Kart will come in some form or another, and I'd imagine Big N is well aware that if they tease local Splatoon without actually doing it, there will be hell to pay.

Oh thank god we have multiple controler options, and it has a stand.  However this thing really needs a flip case or some sort of flap like a Tablet in my honest opinion, I'm worried about scratching the screen.
Yeah, DEFINITELY going to need a carrying case of some sort.  Looks a little big for my Club Nintendo pouches. XD

I had my doubts about two players using each detachables, but for something like Mario Kart, holy crap.

Yeah we'll probably need an external battery since this thing has a fan built in.
I can't imagine where the hell they'd fit a fan in the tablet; the dock's USB ports make its back half look bulky by comparison.  I'll wager the fan is in the dock for when the system's working harder, that or it was a devkit thing.

Though I'm sure battery will be a concern either way.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: October 21, 2016, 07:23:56 AM
The carrying case is admittedly going to be weird, I imagine that it would have to cover the tablet portion but leave the Joy-Cons exposed just enough so it can still detach no problem while still being thin enough for it to still use the dock.  That's why I think the flap would probably be the best bet.

Otherwise, you guys need Messanger Bags, Backpacks or Hammer Space Jackets for this thing, or you know, get the dedicated Nintendo Switch Bag which that comes out, I'm lucky I can get a Hammer Space Purse so I can fit that easy.  But I still want a flap for protecting the screen.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #146 on: October 21, 2016, 07:49:59 AM
I wouldn't mind having a Switch holster belt. 8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: October 21, 2016, 06:13:50 PM
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_confirms_switch_isnt_physically_backwards_compatible_with_3ds_and_wii_u_software

Famitsu did a small interview with Nintendo and it's comfirmed that the Switch is not backwards compatible with the Wii U or the 3DS. 

Nintendo also said that the System's Battery Stamina will be high enough to play comfortably away from the plug, which doesn't really tell us much unfortunately.  Full details will be revealed at a later date as planed.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: October 21, 2016, 06:30:02 PM
Not sure how to take it. It's still gimmicky, but not in the Wii/WiiU way.

those snap on controllers seem tiny as hell.

Battery will likely be a [sonic slicer], and i dunno, It's like a weird compromise between console and handheld, but feels a bit too big to be a handheld too.

So far, it seems a bit awkward in general. i know the whole 'take it on the go" thing doesnt quite appeal to me, since when im on the go Im usually doing something.

I guess in the end it just remains to see how good the lineup is, especially the third party lineup. because unless it's got good third party support, I dont think even a Metroid could save it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: October 21, 2016, 08:45:33 PM
Hmmm you know thinking about the whole Case situation and the Battery concerns perhaps a Power Bank Bag/Case might be another possible idea.  Take this 3DS carrying Case as an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Smatree-Charging-Nintendo-Consoles-included/dp/B01FX9PYCQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477075344&sr=8-4&keywords=3ds+Power+Bank

Certainly not the most elegant solution but a compromise to consider.