Sonic Returns In New 2D, HD Game

Kirby Pink · 52709

Offline Sapphire✧9

• ネビュラ★ブラック
  • Neo Arcadian
  • An Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: September 10, 2009, 12:08:19 AM
WE'RE TALKIN ABOUT SEGA! They'll somehow [tornado fang] up the game.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: September 10, 2009, 01:39:22 AM
I'm just glad you guys are more level headed than the actual boards dedicated to Sonic

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: September 10, 2009, 02:51:21 AM
On the one hand, I can take some heart in knowing that the console staff is being dedicated to a 2D game, the rapper hedgehog was a hoax, they know about the critiques of the camera and directional movement (as evidenced by the 3d-2d transitions in Sonic Unleashed that made parts of Super Mario Galaxy gold), and that this whole project may turn out fine in an attempt to avoid Sonic being on the Wal-Mart bargain bin shelf.

But on the other hand, I remember Sonic Rush/Adventure/Advance 2 still being a little iffy, filled with open-bottom design, and lacking in catchy tunes (Chemical Plant, Carnival Night, Green Hill, etc.). I also remember how no Special Stage has ever beaten S3&K's Special Stages in every way; most other games require or are made far easier by memorization while S3&K, even though you can memorize those layouts, were passable on the first go-round IF you had the skill. That's rare. Last but not least, I also remember Sonic Team's latest track record.

Either way, I think I'm still going to buy this; bad or not, this is definitely a step in the right direction whereas Sonic Unleashed turned out to be more of a stand-still.

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: September 10, 2009, 03:04:48 AM
i'd put my money on that as well.

Notice how the interview completely  dodged HD sprites and simply stated lol HD graphics. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: September 10, 2009, 03:52:48 AM
the 2D to 3D in unleashed was not bad. :\

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: September 10, 2009, 05:09:04 AM
the 2D to 3D in unleashed was not bad. :\

The transitions seemed fairly fluid and bugfree, and the 2D was fine.

It's that 3D that speed just doesn't mix well with.

EDIT: Wait, you guys actually believe that Needlemouse site is real? Ha! That's not even how they'd unveil stage design.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: September 10, 2009, 05:40:35 AM
My My. Sega must be bold doing this. I dearly hope they don't [tornado fang] this up. The stakes will be higher this time around.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: September 10, 2009, 05:49:07 AM
The transitions seemed fairly fluid and bugfree, and the 2D was fine.

It's that 3D that speed just doesn't mix well with.

EDIT: Wait, you guys actually believe that Needlemouse site is real? Ha! That's not even how they'd unveil stage design.
Its like dropping fish into the dead sea. lol. I thought it was good. the surprising thing was that the PS2/wii versions actually werent bad, (the day stages I mean) They actually got them right. its the night stages tht were a disaster. while in the 360/ps3 they were tolerable, and kinda fun, in the other two, ugh...

but I liked it.

But lets not compare yet.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: September 10, 2009, 06:00:59 AM
My My. Sega must be bold doing this. I dearly hope they don't [tornado fang] this up. The stakes will be higher this time around.

Honestly, since it's been so damn long since the Genesis-era of games when Sonic was at his peak, I think there's not much else Sega can do. They either pass or fail, no "it was average" or "it was amazing", they really don't have the ability to crank a game like that out any more. Even Bioware, the guys who made Sonic Chronicles couldn't revive the blue bastard.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:16 AM
I don't think Sonic Team remembers how to make a good Sonic game anymore, really. Or maybe they never really knew and kind of lucked out for a while.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: September 10, 2009, 07:16:42 AM
Even Bioware, the guys who made Sonic Chronicles couldn't revive the blue bastard.

I can't believe that flopped. I had it. It was okay, but not really. Never, NEVER, have I seen an RPG transition that was that poor. Even Megaman X: Command Mission, though it didn't garner a lot of sales, is a very solid RPG as far as design!

...well, at least we got Shade out of it.

SHADOW/WAVE/SHADE!

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #111 on: September 10, 2009, 07:18:29 AM
My...i laugh at this...
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6216990&tag=topslot;thumb;5&mode=previews
GS: What games do you think have captured that essence best over the years?

KB: Personally, the games that first come to mind are the Sonic Legacy titles, (Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Rush, and Sonic’s speed in Sonic Unleashed. I think each of those games did a great job at propelling the series forward to a new generation, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

-_-

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay.

Gee, where have i seen this before?
Megaman 9

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 07:34:31 AM
how the hell has Silver evolved into a good character? Hes only been in like, what, 3 games? only one of which really does any decent character building, which is later promptly erased from the timeline.

Shadow... I have to admit, I like what they have done with him ever since Sonic 06. He feels fresh now that he isn't emo anymore. Now that he isnt concerned about the past like he was since SA2.

Though the change could have been made just as well without STHH... If they just had him throw aside his past in Heroes, things could have gone much smoother. since in Heroes, they managed the amnesia well. As in, they didnt over present it, and it wasnt the main focus. it was only in like, 1 or two cutscenes. in STHH... well... WHO AM I!? *cut cut*

lol, I love how he dodged the question on graphics.

Over the past 19 years, Sonic has been in a variety of different games, some of which were a stretch. Were there any that didn’t happen because they were a little too out there?
wheres Mah Sonic Xtreme?
the only thing that was considered "out there" back then, was cooperation between Sega of Japan and as America. >_>
which is why the game was never finished past test demo.
I feel the idea was just too advanced for its time.
which is why Nintendo has JUST come up with Mario Galaxy only recently.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 08:39:30 AM
I can't believe that flopped. I had it. It was okay, but not really. Never, NEVER, have I seen an RPG transition that was that poor. Even Megaman X: Command Mission, though it didn't garner a lot of sales, is a very solid RPG as far as design!

You're tellin' me. I mean, jesus, HOW can they have screwed up so badly? I mean, I don't even know where to start on how bad that game is!

how the hell has Silver evolved into a good character? Hes only been in like, what, 3 games? only one of which really does any decent character building, which is later promptly erased from the timeline.

Good question. Odds are the guy never played the games and automatically assumed that. After all, knowing just how wrong he is in several areas requires one to actually PLAY the games, so he either talked out of his ass, or prayed that no one played them and just take his word for it.

What's really bad is he mentioned a character who's pretty much only known in the comic series and has had no more than two video game appearances (even THEN it's debatable).

The really bad part about the whole thing is it seems more of a cash-in and chance to hope something good happens due to the success of Mega Man 9 (a relatively old series which ended up with a total 2D game to bring him back into the limelight), but at the same time, they're not focusing on the 'retro' aspect since it's going to be in HD (and what are the odds they're going to even REMOTELY use the ol' Genesis sprites?). I mean, there are just so many things that can go wrong with this game. What if it's only in 2D by nature and plays more like a 2D version of any console sonic game after Sonic 3/S&K? What if they're going to make you play as other characters and force new ones to appear? At least Chip had the decency to almost ensure him never returning at the end of Unleashed.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: September 10, 2009, 10:13:03 AM
Pfft, your wondering? he obviously talked out of his ass. The whole talk is an act... he brushed up on current characters and some unknown ones for that statement, and thats that, He no doubt never played any of the games. and since the guy is from Sega US, then he obviously didnt have anything to do with the making of the games, (outside of localization) so, yeah.

Though rereading my comment, I now see why i liked Silver in Sonic 06. his character development was amazing for just one game. he went from an impulsive hothead, to a more mature hothead who actually thinks about things.
I mean, it took Shadow what, 3+ games to fully flesh him out?

Yet Sega decided to make a funny and say "oop! now it happened, now it didn't! Just like magic!" Just to make sure tht if the game flops, it doesnt really affect the overal story. (and to undo the Sonic x Elise) sadly, Eggman's design also went along with it. I liked it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #115 on: September 11, 2009, 01:05:32 AM
The phrase, "take Sonic back to his roots" is old.  We all know that.  Reminding me of that is the fact that the recent trailer touting that line (again) showed me absolutely nothing of what I wanted to see (again).

Dear Sega:
Super Sonic in stage replays or GTFO.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: September 11, 2009, 01:18:06 AM
I don't think Sonic Team remembers how to make a good Sonic game anymore, really. Or maybe they never really knew and kind of lucked out for a while.

Sonic team from those ancient days left long ago. The new one isn't even involved with the older staff. Naka himself is also gone.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: September 11, 2009, 06:54:22 AM

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:31 AM
Sonic team from those ancient days left long ago. The new one isn't even involved with the older staff. Naka himself is also gone.
I'm well aware of that. Doesn't change the fact that by carrying the same name, certain expectations were made for a while. I'm still not so sure they really knew for sure back then what made Sonic so great, either.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: September 11, 2009, 02:23:03 PM
The fathers of the series (Naka, Oshima, & Yazuhara) did but apparently, they never shared it with thhe lesser folk and let them build their own expectations on what makes Sonic games.

And I would have no problem with this if the newer games had concepts that were fully fleshed out and executed. It's also troubling that to me, not one of Sonic's 3D outings has nearly as much replay value as the 5 Genesis games (sans Secret Rings for some insane reason).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: September 11, 2009, 06:50:19 PM
That IS insane, 'cuz I find SA2B infinitely more replayable (not that I don't like Secret Rings).

It's true, even new Sonic Team isn't that bad when it comes to concepts (were-hog aside).  It's just the overall lack of polish that bites them in the ass.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:53 PM
That IS insane, 'cuz I find SA2B infinitely more replayable (not that I don't like Secret Rings).

i was going to say the same thing, more or less. hell, i probably played/play SA2 more than most of the Genesis games. i think only S3K tops it.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: September 11, 2009, 07:51:58 PM
Took the words out of my mouth.  I have something like 70-90 lives stocked in SA2.

As for S3&K, one of the best 2D games ever made.  I went ahead and dedicated all 8 save files to clears of each character in different scenarios.  Emerald-less, Chaos Emeralds (no Tails for this one since it makes no difference), and Super Emeralds.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: September 11, 2009, 07:59:08 PM
I definitely enjoy going through the Sonic and Shadow levels in SA2. I just wish there was more of those levels than some of the ones we got instead.

As for S3K... I've played far too much of that one. Running through the whole game again but in Super/Hyper form is great fun. There's so many ways to break the game when you do that too, so it's kind of interesting in it's own way.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: September 11, 2009, 08:00:13 PM
Took the words out of my mouth.  I have something like 70-90 lives stocked in SA2.

As for S3&K, one of the best 2D games ever made.  I went ahead and dedicated all 8 save files to clears of each character in different scenarios.  Emerald-less, Chaos Emeralds (no Tails for this one since it makes no difference), and Super Emeralds.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles
definitly one of my all time favorites
when starting a new game i get all Chaos Emeralds by Stage 3 most of the time