Iwata: "Nintendo’s E3 2009 Software Aimed To Topple PS2"

Jericho · 7236

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
First off guys, careful, I've changed this topic's main focus from debate to ponder. (That re-worked Toy Story quote didn't work like how I wanted it to.)

OK, as stated in the topic title, President of NCL Satoru Iwata was recently quoted stating that while Wii & DS sales have been nothing short of "so awesome", he still feels that there are numerous field goals left for Nintendo to try and reach with their products. After last year and the somewhat lackluster state of game releases after anticipated hits such as Mario Kart Wii & Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as well as the launch of Wii Fit & Wii Music for the more open minded expanded audiences, gamers were left on a pretty long dry spell in terms of big time Nintendo efforts last year. This is however all in the past as the Nintendo president stated in a recent press release that it is going to be the sales of Nintendo branded software that going to push Wii sales (both software and hardware) this year and in the future to well beyond PS2 levels.

Now then, ignoring the blatant Nintendo fan in me for a second and thinking as a rational human being, this statement sounded like utter nonsense to me for half of a minute. I mean, I know Nintendo is capable of some truly top class stuff, they are my favorite developer and game company after all, but to say that they have software planned and in development to topple the absurdly diverse and amazing PS2 library starting this year?

Come ooooonnnn. XD

Then, Iwata delivered a line true to the zen-like confidence he has in his company:

[...]Wii still has much more room for expansion. We can expect more sales of software in the next fiscal year than in the current year. With what kind of software is Nintendo going to achieve this goal? Well, it will be shown at E3 to be held in the U.S. this June.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your pondering. I'm personally expecting a Zelda '09 now. XD

With my part said and done now, RPM, discuss.

- Link to the article is here -

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:47:50 AM
Topple PS2 sales? Fat chance.

Well actually, how long did it take PS2 to garner its massive mountain of moved copies?

Also this "software" thing reminds me of that autoplay/video walkthrough/etc patent that was being discussed some time back, now where did that go..
ah, here we are

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:48:41 AM
Zelda 09 is extremely possible. They claimed they've been working on it, Wii yet lacks an exclusive Zelda title, and the new gaming concept announced recently which included that veeeeery ominous piece of conept art almost give it away.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:26 AM
Topple PS2 sales? Fat chance.

Well actually, how long did it take PS2 to garner its massive mountain of moved copies?

Also this "software" thing reminds me of that autoplay/video walkthrough/etc patent that was being discussed some time back, now where did that go..
ah, here we are

Dunno really as it's still moving units worldwide. What I'm more interested in is the idea that the PS2 had one year where it suddenly became "THE" system to everyone with a tremendous turnout of games. If the Wii is truly in the same situation, I'd just like a glimpse inside the candy box to know what kinds of games we can expect.

Then again, all of this random hope could all be dashed instantly if I keep reminding myself that this is a PR piece. Still though, it's all pretty intriguing stuff.

Zelda 09 is extremely possible. They claimed they've been working on it, Wii yet lacks an exclusive Zelda title, and the new gaming concept announced recently which included that veeeeery ominous piece of conept art almost give it away.

I'm beginning to think that it's more than being worked on at this point. There are just too many subtle hints that when combined with this release make it seem almost given.

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:03:08 AM
Good luck trying to beat 10 years of great title after great title after great title, in 12-24 months, with a console which most successful games top the usual Mario and Zelda with "Wii Music/Sports/Play"

Seriously I'm tired about the "IT PRINTS MONEY" thing

What's more incredible is E3 becoming relevant again, though.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:07:06 AM
Good luck trying to beat 10 years of great title after great title after great title, in 12-24 months, with a console which most successful games top the usual Mario and Zelda with "Wii Music/Sports/Play"

While I see your point, I can see it happening  especially since the Wii is supposed to last for quite some time (not 10 years, imo but close). I can't see it happening in a 1 - 2 year timespan of course, unless they like buy the world.

What's more incredible is E3 becoming relevant again, though.

You aren't the only one man. After E3 2006, then the abysmal '07 - '08, and with people saying they want to come out swinging there again, it's like a time to rejoice. XD

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:35:36 AM
Iwata: "Nintendo’s E3 2009 Software Aimed To Topple PS2"
Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off. No system, not even its own sequel, the PS3, will be ever able to topple in a single year the aura of sheer power cast by the PS2.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 01:49:23 AM
The Nintendo DS can topple the PS2; it just needs anthology games like the PS2 has.

And if that doesn't appeal, let me put it another way:

Sonic Mega Collection +, Megaman Anniversary Collection, and Megaman X Collection for the NDS.

...oh, okay, so NOW I have your attention.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 02:48:10 AM
No system, especially not even its own sequel, the PS3, will be ever able to topple in a single year the aura of sheer power cast by the PS2.

fixed.

i dunno if Iwata's claims can come true, but Nintendo has a better chance of succeeding than Sony or Microsoft.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 02:59:01 AM
You know, I can't really take E3 seriously anymore ever since last year's crap fest.

But we shall see if Iwata can put the games where his mouth is, or if he's just going to unveil yet another "Wii <Insert Activity>" game.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 03:16:59 AM
Those are strong fighting words Iwata-san.

I now expect Zelda Wii, Mario Galaxy's sequel, Pikmin 3, Sin & Punishment 2, Punch-Out, a new Metroid (+ new 2D one that it can link with for extras), Star Fox Wii, a true Pokemon console game, Kid Icarus Wii, plenty of franchise revivals, plenty of awesome 2nd party games, and demos that prove that (almost) everything shown at last year's October conference is awesome as well. Also a new Mario Party Wii and Wii Fit for the HAHA.

...what? He was the one that said they were going to topple the PS2 in a year.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:18:03 AM
I actually agree with Tayio.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 03:25:39 AM
Don't we all?

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:55 AM
If they release a Super Mario Galaxy sequel or a Zelda Wii or Star Fox Wii this year, I will seriously consider not selling my kidney for a PS3.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 03:51:25 AM
Those are strong fighting words Iwata-san.

I now expect Zelda Wii, Mario Galaxy's sequel, Pikmin 3, Sin & Punishment 2, Punch-Out, a new Metroid (+ new 2D one that it can link with for extras), Star Fox Wii, a true Pokemon console game, Kid Icarus Wii, plenty of franchise revivals, plenty of awesome 2nd party games, and demos that prove that (almost) everything shown at last year's October conference is awesome as well. Also a new Mario Party Wii and Wii Fit for the HAHA.

...what? He was the one that said they were going to topple the PS2 in a year.
He said topple the PS2... not all of humanity. 8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 04:04:58 AM
He said topple the PS2... not all of humanity. 8D

[tornado fang] I lol'd. XD

Still it could have been worse. He could have added Super Smash Bros. Turbo Ultimate Bitchslap Edition, Wave Race Wii, Pilotwings Wii, Adventures of Link 2, Yoshi's Island 3 & a Nazo no Muramejou & StarTropics revival done by EAD Tokyo & Retro Studios respectively. This would pretty much mean the end for everyone else. 8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 04:06:23 AM
[tornado fang] I lol'd. XD

Still it could have been worse. He could have added Super Smash Bros. Turbo Ultimate Bitchslap Edition, Wave Race Wii, Pilotwings Wii, Adventures of Link 2, Yoshi's Island 3 & a Nazo no Muramejou & StarTropics revival done by EAD Tokyo & Rerto Studios respectively. This would pretty much mean the end for everyone else. 8D

What part of franchise revivals did you not understand? 8D

Oh, and I forgot something, Captain Rainbow and Disaster localizations.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 04:08:12 AM
Whoops, silly me. XD

Add a DKC4 and buying back Rare from MS just for the lulz though.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 04:09:36 AM
Would the two money printers print enough money to actually buy it from MS of all companies? XD

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 04:13:33 AM
That's the fun part. Also, I was sure that this thread would have gotten more opinions from everyone on the board. I guess there isn't much to be said on the topic now.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 04:16:29 AM
topple the absurdly diverse and amazing PS2 library
OH U SO FUNI

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 04:24:31 AM
Keep in mind; Nintendo may not think of the PS2 as highly as the public does.

"Best console ever" is almost a matter of opinion. The PS2 has a ton of titles and the golden ones really hit the sweet spots, but the same could be said of the SNES. Or GBA.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 04:25:44 AM
Every company calls their own product the best. It's a fact. Let the gamers decide. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 04:32:47 AM
Add a DKC4 and buying back Rare from MS just for the lulz though.

not even Nintendo can save Rare from killing itself.

but on the brightside, that would mean a Virtual Console Goldeneye and Perfect Dark...

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2009, 06:07:14 AM
It's just not the same without those shitty trident controllers and splitscreen at my friends house...