What's the best microphone for voice recording?

VirusChris · 5565

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
on: December 13, 2010, 03:22:47 PM
Hey there, I'm looking for the best or a very good quality microphone for voice recording. I plan on doing some voice acting for some game characters and possible for tutorial videos if I ever get around to making them.

I've heard about the truly high quality ones are $1000+ but I don't have that kind of money and was hoping somewhere below $300 or maybe a little bit above it well net me a very good microphone to use on my PC and Laptop.

What do you guys recommended? I'm not sure to go with a dynamic or a condenser microphone, I want to make sure my voice is clear and can be heard without my breathing heard too much (or I'll have to practice not breathing as much when I speak).

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:15:29 PM
Well, since you're seemingly willing to spend the cash on a good mic, then there's the Yeti THX Certified USB Mic for about $150.

Otherwise, if you wanna save some dough, from experience, a Logitech USB Rock Band mic works quite nicely, too.  I've been using one for a while now and I like how it picks up some of my more difficult-to-hear voices better.  And it was cheap at only $20.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:09 PM
A Koss SB/49 headset with mic built-in, works wonders~

It also has a good $30-40 dollar price range too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:04:06 AM
As for mics not picking up your breathing and such... That can be cheaply avoided.  Make a spit shield with a nylon pantyhose and an embroidery ring.  I made one and used it for recording.  Works wonders.  P's and B's aren't as explosive and the mic won't pick up as much hiss and breath sounds.  And for any additional noise that the mic does pick up... there are audio filters for fixing that in post.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:19:58 AM
^Thanks for the advice, though I don't feel comfortable using those as a spit shield. Is it OK I use... what were they called again... those little white masks that doctors use to cover their face? You can buy those anywhere right at a cheap price?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26:37 AM
^Thanks for the advice, though I don't feel comfortable using those as a spit shield. Is it OK I use... what were they called again... those little white masks that doctors use to cover their face?

They are called surgical masks my friend. They are used mostly during surgery so blood doesn't sloosh out into their mouths and cause [insert disease here] to spread. They can also be used for other things too, as well.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 04:30:56 PM
Also the doctor doesn't want to be spitting inside their patient's body, either. :P

Basic dust mask might work as well (used for those in industry work so that they don't inhale excessive amounts of crap).  Although I don't know if either mask would wind up muffling your voice a bit.  They should be cheap, so you don't stand to lose much, but it might be worth swallowing your masculinity and taking Quickman's advice.

Wish I could offer something more constructive, but I was actually wondering "what's a good mic" myself.
*saves Gaia's headset link*

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:22 AM
^Thanks for the advice, though I don't feel comfortable using those as a spit shield. Is it OK I use... what were they called again... those little white masks that doctors use to cover their face? You can buy those anywhere right at a cheap price?

You just don't wanna be caught dead buying pantyhose. =P

A spit shield is essentially a fabric-covered ring that is held right in front of the mic.  It won't muffle your voice, but your consonants won't be as explosive.  Most recording studios have spit shields for their mics.  If you've seen shots of recording studios, that circular thing in front of the mic is the spit shield.

Dust masks may muffle your voice too much.  I've toyed with using a dust mask for recording, once, as I was experimenting with a character who wears a mask.  The mask ended up muffling my voice too much, so we ditched that idea and ended up just using a flanger in post.  You can try a dust mask, they're pretty cheap, but it may muffle your voice too much.  You'd be better off with a spit shield or even just tweaking the track in post.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 09:59:18 AM
Oh I see.

Is there an alternate solution instead of the pantyhose? I think my mom has some, but I rather not ask or search for them plus where do I get that ring? 

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:16:13 AM
Craft stores sell embroidery rings.  Any sheer fabric would work for the shield as well, pantyhose was just suggested because it stretches and it can be obtained fairly cheaply.  Wal-mart sells knee-highs in lil plastic eggs for I think 75 cents.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:49 AM
I'm pretty sure if you buy the hoop and the nylons at the same time they will know what's going on. Or think you're a perv with an embroidery fetish.

I'm not too sure of the technical quality, but My Eye Toy(8 USD) and my Playstation Eye(25-30 USD) have served me well as Mics.

PSE is 16-bits per sample at 48KHz per capsule.

I think 24-bit per sample or 32 is standard. If you have a friend with one, see if you can try it out.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 02:37:17 AM
Yippee! I got the Yeti THX Certified USB Mic Kit (my dad got the kit for a few extra dollars so I got a few more items than I expected)! I cannot wait to try this out!