Dem Bosses

Bueno Excelente · 8282

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: May 11, 2010, 12:46:47 AM
Alright, people.

We all love bosses. Yes we do. Those ridiculously strong beings that force us to dodge fourty hundred friggin' attacks at once and make it so we feel like ABSOLUTE COOLNESS once we defeat them. Like the toughest [motherly copulation]ers in town. We love them and hate them at the same time because they're DEM BAWSSES. And some of them have made a bigger mark on us than others. Some of them have made it so we'll never, ever forget them. And some of them, we hold so close to our hearts that we keep going back to that same battle because it's so awesome.

I want you to talk about that boss. How you met it, how you feel about it and what drives you WILD about it enough to have a savestate ready to fight it ANYTIME YOU FEEL LIKE BEING A BADASS.

My very own personal nemesis is Green's Seven Force, on Hard difficulty mode. You get to fight all seven of its forms at once, but it never feels like a boss rush. And although it's tough, it's never, ever, EVER cheap. You feel that if you lose, it's your own damn fault for not seeing the obvious move you had to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCRCEAhluo

I also tend to have Makka na Chikai on while playing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G30fQRw1H7o&feature=related Keeps me pumped.

(Try not to post alot of direct videos, people. So we don't turn this topic into lagland)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:51:08 AM
Hmmm.... bosses I enjoy fighting... This is a toughie...

The one blaring example that comes to mind is the Bowser battle in Toadley Clinic in Bowser's Inside Story. Having to dodge the special moves that I got for Bowser was a cool experience. And then, of course, the OH NOOOOO!!! when you knock him off screen made me laugh every time...

Your example is a good one (that entire game was awesome!).

Hmm.. if I can think of any others, I'll post them here.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 12:53:00 AM
Ever played Alien Soldier? Very similiar to Gunstar Heroes. Same art direction, same music style, comes with its own version of Seven Force. I think made by the same people. Also supposedly butt hard.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:58:04 AM
Chaos, in Dissidia, that BASTARD! But kicking his ass feels oh so satisfying.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 01:11:59 AM

DIS MOTHA FUCKA

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:54 AM
Ever played Alien Soldier? Very similiar to Gunstar Heroes. Same art direction, same music style, comes with its own version of Seven Force. I think made by the same people. Also supposedly butt hard.
Have a European copy of it.

Also, come on, people! Give me more material, not just simple "Oh I liked this boss". Tell me experiences, tell me FEELINGS, tell me how that single boss made you angry and happy and how you're both Bros and Nemeses.

I'll make another contribution. With The End.

Hundred-year-old sniper from MGS3, this guy has been sleeping until he has the chance to face you. It's probably the longest and most detailed boss battle I have ever fought. Go through a day? He outsmarts you and gets you while you're sleeping. Go through a whole week with that same boss on the console? He'll die of old age. You can be hours upon hours hunting this old dog down, he's fast as hell and you have to HUNT HIM instead of just beat him. You can even sneak up on him and he'll drop goodies. His sniper aim will flash in the sun. His bird can be heard through the microphone. He'll hunt you down and shoot you, and he'll go through a 3-part forest looking for you. It's a hunter-prey game, and it's great. The whole battle is awesome.

I can't post a screen from the battle itself because it's just Snake in a jungle. And videos don't do it justice, because the battle can take hours. I'll just tell you all to experience for yourselves.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:22:22 AM
If you want long boss battles... and are into RPGs... play Legend of the Dragoon. That final boss takes a truckload of damage and makes you suffer through seven damn forms.

There's also SMT Nocturne/Lucifer's Call. This is hard to describe, but a damn intense experience if you played it yourself. The true demon path that is. Because you are in the middle of nothing, where seconds before everything was. Prior to the final battle you erased time. Which is everything that ever was, is or would have been. Just gone.

Then there's Devil May Cry. From an organic dungeon you step into Mundus' hall. WHich is a bright greek temple. Mundus himself is presented like a god while this is playing. The fight is amazing. First an aerial battle in which Dante and Mundus go all out and fire everything they got. In the next round Mundus is sitting in a lake of lava and you wield the largest frickin sword you have ever seen like a toothpick trying to kill your opponent. After that it goes to round three in which Mundus is crawling towards you while your attacks are skinning him alive. And after THAT you must escape while the whole island is crumbling.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:26:34 AM
I always enjoyed Sigma Virus in X2, especially after the time I shoryuken'd him into submission.

It was awesome. Almost dead, used my last Sub Tanks, and got to full health. Was all, "[parasitic bomb]. He's gonna-wait, I have the Shoryuken!" Tried it a few times before it triggered, and when it did, I took him right to the ceiling with it. And killed him. It was epic.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:34:27 AM
The End was among one of the most satisfying boss battles I've done. It feels more like a battle of wits more than a straight up fight. Some people have complained that the fight takes way too long, but all I can say to them is that they completely missed the point.

One of my favourites is Ganon from ALttP. Sure, it's not the hardest boss fight, but I still enjoy it every time nevertheless. The first few times that bastard always knocked me into the side pits, making me start the whole fight again. The feeling of triumph I had when I finally beat him that first time was great, and the ending made it that much more satisfying. Nowadays he's quite simple to beat for me, but I'll never forget being knocked into the pit as I tried to light those torches.

Nothing else really comes to mind at the moment, unfortunately. There is one that I was looking forward to for a while when I was younger, but in the end it kind of fizzled out. The X vs Zero fight in X5 could have turned out so damn well, but the execution wasn't quite as grand as it could have been.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 01:38:37 AM
LttP Ganon for sure. Not only is it fun, but the music is excellent.

And I'm stuck on X vs. Zero. It's hard...

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:06 AM
The X vs Zero fight in X5

People only like it for the background music that plays...

Other than that, it's not all that great.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 01:43:01 AM
Hmmm epic boss?

Oh it's definitely Luca Blight.

I forgot the the details, but he's basically the most [chameleon sting]ing evil badass of them all. You've to divide your party into 3 full teams to ambush him, that is like 18 vs 1, and he can still win it easily if you're underleveled, heck your other teams besides your main purpose are to damage him not to defeat.

and after you manage to defeat him, you still have to duel with him. When he did lose, he gives a badass last word. He is actually mocking you for defeating him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXN0in0lkM&feature=related

skip to 2:37. Man, that was one though yet epic boss battle.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 01:44:50 AM
The final boss in Bowser's Inside Story (well part 1, Dark Bowser) is fairly epic. You even do a bit of platforming with one of the attacks he throws at you! And the music is epic as well...

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:22 AM
Bouldergeist with the Daredevil Comet in Super Mario Galaxy. This boss battle was VERY rageworthy, although I don't remember what the boss battle was like because it's been a long time since I played SMG.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:52 AM
People only like it for the background music that plays...

Other than that, it's not all that great.
Agreed. I was rather disappointed by it. In concept it sounded great, but yeah... the execution left a lot to be desired.

Hmmm epic boss?

Oh it's definitely Luca Blight.

I forgot the the details, but he's basically the most [chameleon sting]ing evil badass of them all. You've to divide your party into 3 full teams to ambush him, that is like 18 vs 1, and he can still win it easily if you're underleveled, heck your other teams besides your main purpose are to damage him not to defeat.

and after you manage to defeat him, you still have to duel with him. When he did lose, he gives a badass last word. He is actually mocking you for defeating him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXN0in0lkM&feature=related

skip to 2:37. Man, that was one though yet epic boss battle.
Ah yes, Luca Blight... fully agreed on that one.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 01:52:39 AM
Alright, contributing with yet another, more recent one.

Jeanne, third fight, from Bayonetta:

This is BY FAR the closest I've ever been to those fights you usually see on stylish Devil May Cry/Bayonetta cutscenes. This fight makes you feel alive, it's CONSTANTLY MOVING like a song, and you truly feel like you're fighting a TRUE RIVAL, your absolute equal. It kicks the crap out of the DMC3 Virgil fights. Constantly changes environment and always brings something new.

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 05:08:48 AM
I guess every boss fight in Sphere 211 in Star Ocean:TillEndTime (and Luther).
Then everything in Bowser's Inside Story.
Prometheus/Pandora fights in ZX.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 07:37:27 AM
Alright, contributing with yet another, more recent one.

Jeanne, third fight, from Bayonetta:

This is BY FAR the closest I've ever been to those fights you usually see on stylish Devil May Cry/Bayonetta cutscenes. This fight makes you feel alive, it's CONSTANTLY MOVING like a song, and you truly feel like you're fighting a TRUE RIVAL, your absolute equal. It kicks the crap out of the DMC3 Virgil fights. Constantly changes environment and always brings something new.

THIS THIS THIS.

Honestly, all of the Jeanne fights are quite well done, and the way they freely play around with gravity just made them all the more enthralling. To me, it would be a dream come true if Kamiya actually went ahead and made a Vs. Fighter that could actually mimic the sheer awesome that were these fights. He did talk about an "Umbra Fighter" on his blog once.  0v0

Any way, one of my personal favorites hails from another Kamiya classic.

"HENSHIN-A-BYE-BYE~!"

This bastard, on Ultra V-Rated especially, can be something else. Loves to whore his ability to spawn clones like nobody's business, summons a copy of Six Majin to "make it rain" bombs on your ass, and all to one of the best music tracks in the game itself.

Fighting Alastor in the same game was pretty fun as well!  owob

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:30 AM
Not a very hard boss fight (could be cause I've fought him so many times) but still one of my all time favorites.

Well, in regards to the guidelines stipulated by the Scarlett Speedster, I'll go more into detail.  The first time I played this game I was already in love with it, and this boss battle was no exception.  I mean, I love Gradius, so seeing the design of Vic Viper as a transforming was already pretty sweet, plus the music is bad-[tornado fang]ing-ass as well.  Also, this is one of the few games in which I actually cared somewhat about the story, so seeing Leo grown up and the pilot of Vic Viper was awesome.  Overall, this is one of my favorite all time fights.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:11 AM
I'm gonna post a favourite of mine from Sunset Riders.

Hawkeye Hank

Oh and fighting Magna Centipede from X2 w/ him sucking all of your power out then beating him w/ just the one shot is VERY fun~

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 02:52:27 PM
Well, I had some fun boss battle times:

Julius Belmont (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)
In a wonderful twist of events in this game you get to fight the man that was able to destroy Dracula (Well almost but I don´t want to go into details about that...). This was the first time in CV history you could fight a Belmont for real (Soleyuu or how you spell his name and Richter were controled) and this old man uses all posible belmont tricks. This fight was intense and you finnaly got the feeling of how ol´ Drac was feeling in all those years fighting the Belmonts.

Death (Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow)
Another one from Aria. This is by far my favourite fight with Death. In the first phase he is mocking you and just attacks with a normal scythe and some sickles, while he is in the BG laughing. From time to time he uses that light pillar technique. You destroy the Scythe and then the real fight starts. The first time a saw him pulling out that second scythe I was speechless so he was able to get an easy hit on me. LOOK AT IT! It´s a friggin´ double sided scythe. Now you knew he wasn´t messing around. Though it´s not the hardest fight but still it´s a good one. Oh and he doesn´t give up when he dies, his surprise attack killed me the first time :P

Agni and Rudra (Devila May cry 3)
These two bastards. I hate them yet I love this fight for some reasson. I cannot explain it but I enjoyed the fight. When I found out that one of them is weak to Cerberus I concentrated all my attacks against him. But then when the body dies the other one starts using both swords! He owned me instantly after that...But I couldn´t stop. I could take it to be losing against these two. 10 tries later (oh did I mention that you have to restart the WHOLE MISSION if you don´t have yellow orbs?) I finnaly beat them. It was satisfying!

Geryon (Devil May Cry 3)
The only boss in the game I was able to beat on my first try. But still it is my favourite fight in the game. You don´t see a time manipulating horse everyday! You first fight him on a bridge, when the bridge collapses you get to fight him for real. He is fast and he knows how to use the carriage. He can even pull out a Dio Brando on you by slowing down time and make projectilles appear near you.

Copy X (Megaman Zero)
He may be a copy, but this fight was batter than the fight against the original in X5. He is the only character (besides Zero) who can change elements during a fight. Unlike Zero he changes colors while doing so, which made the first Phase a lot easier (I defeated the first form on my first try, then I thought to myself "I thought he would be stronger..." and then Zero said the exact same thing!). Then he want one winged angel on me and hoooly [parasitic bomb] did I underestimate him. Finding a way to dodge all of his attacks was a challenge, hitting him was a bigger challenge. Seeing him crumbled on the floor made me feel happy  >0<

Phantom (Megaman zero 3)
Hellz yeah. I loved his fight in Z1, but here his attacks got upraded and the battle was even harder! Too bad he didn´t have a super move like in Z1...

Phantom Ganon ( Ocarina of Time)
The first fight as adult Link. I simply like this fight more than any other in the game (I expected more from Twinrova and Ganon). Finding the portrait from which he will attack from was thrilling. The ping-pong segments were thrilling and slashing him mindless with my sword was satifying!

Also Sevenforce from Gungstar Heroes for already mentioned reassons.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 03:54:40 PM

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 05:10:11 PM
Ridley on Zero Mission was just hellish. I don't recall why exactly, but that tail...*shudders*

Gill from 3rdStrike was surprisingly easy with Ken, but the first time I played Arcade mode (with Ryu), it took me a grand 20+ tries to bring him down. To this day I don't recall doing it with Necro, but I won't question my PS2's memory card.  8)

Metal Sonic from Sonic Championship. One of those few fighting game battles where it feels you actually don't have control over whether you win, but rather he only loses whenever he gets bored of shooting you with his MegaSmasher chest laser.. Roasting him to a bbq-ey, crunchy, smoldering heap of carcass with Super Sonic was quite fulfilling however.

I found everybody in MMZ3 to be easy except for the nine-tailed chick. I hate spiraling moves...;-;

Battle Network in general just had Bass.EXE. I used to save in front of Chaud (ProtoMan FZ) in BN6 just to do awesome stuff to him, though. Absolute most frustrating one to me though was BubbleMan. Regenerating bubbleshields, random whatfish and enemy crabbombs. Not a fun time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mKTXZdOBVU

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:34 PM
I see some pretty good descriptions, but also some standalone links and names, which don't help at all unless who reads this topic can be arsed to search for them. This is for experiences, the PASSION you feel for that awesome brofight.

Here's one of my favorites. Master Baihu from Shenmue II.

Nothing's known about Baihu (and seeing as the franchise is in perpetual limbo, nothing ever will be known), but he first appears to us as a simple boss enemy who fights people underground. He kills whoever doesn't stand up to his level, and seems to be bored with the lack of challenge. We barely see him in the game, and our only motivation is that Joy randomly appears as his hostage. But something strange happens when we watch him fight, which is never actually explained.

Baihu is the only character in the game who fights in Tiger Swallow Style. The one style we've only seen in the very beginning of Shenmue I, used by Lan Di, the man who killed Ryo's father, and the very reason for his quest. From investigation, we see that the style no longer seems to be used by anyone except Lan Di. So why is it being used (quite masterfully, we're able to notice from fighting him) by a lonely master dressed as a theatric shogun in a building basement? Baihu is wrapped in mystery from the start, and all we know after we beat him, is that he'll "remember our name", said respectfully.

The fight itself is quite good, because he doesn't overpower you or use any cheap attacks. He is pretty much your equal from a fighting point, and you feel like you're fighting someone who's tough, but fair. Not just that, his design itself seems to come out of nowhere, and what little we see of him, we feel like we go through a worthy challenge, a break from the main game itself to face off a truly worthy and respectful opponent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36LnrHl5sKg