Super Smash Bros. Bitchslap: What Do You Want To See In It?

Jericho · 143888

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
OK RPM, in this thread, we are going to do something different. Everyone at this point has one or two ideas to make the next Super Smash Bros. better than Brawl in their own opinions. Whether it's no brainers like "FIX THE DAMN LAG" or "MOAR CHARACTURZ!!11!", silly things like "Nerf the damn Dragoons! They're a PB's worst nightmare. 8D", or maybe more insightful things, this is the thread where we can let all those thoughts out and maybe impress one another with an idea.

Now then, I am aware that I'm opening Pandora's Box here mainly because "it's cool to hate on popular things/Smash". I'm also aware of the fact that this thread could contain some of the most facepalm inducing ideas like "Naruto 4 SSB4". However, since this is RPM, and everyone I know who'd post in here has a high degree of common sense, I'll hold everyone to a higher standard. XD

With all of this randomness outta my head and a few ideas to share after I kick some PB Peach ass, I now declare this discussion open! Post away! 8)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:45 AM
Maybe have a better story mode story...and a few Megaman characters.  Plus some other unexplored characters from other games like some Final Fantasy characters other than Cloud! 

Also put Tails in he'd be an intresting character to play as and plus if you put Knuckles, Amy, and/or Robotnick it could be a good match for all the Mario characters includeing Yoshi and Wario if you count them or at least make Robotnick a villain in the next story mode.  I hope they don't put in Marx, but chances are it's going to happen since the company that makes Kirby games has a big influence in this. 

And definetly fix the lag on the online matches I mean seriously that is not cool.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:15:18 AM
Bombs at the edge and you're hanging on the edge. It isn't fun. Changed my mind. Guys ran for bombs and I blew them up by throwing the bat at them. He went boom.  >BD

-Bring back Mewtwo. While I do like Lucario, I am not having as much attachment as I did with Mewtwo.
-Fix Pikachu's Final Smash. He is a great character, but his Final Smash is what keeps me from playing him. Do something similar to Lucas'/Ness's Final Smash by bring down bolts of lightning.
-Yoshi's Down+B could be stronger. I think it was better in Melee, but I don't remember anymore.
-Mario's Down+B could do at least some damage.
-Bring back all of Melee's stages, not just a few.
-Fix the goddamn lag.
-Pit is a spammer I can do without. If you must keep him, tone down the annoying.
-More options in creating your own stage.
-ZS Samus' third jump could be better, but I'm not sure. Its a good spike.
-Create your own character is a cool idea. Copy+Paste attacks from other characters to your character.
-ZS Samus' Final Smash could be better...

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:21:20 AM

-Bring back all of Melee's stages, not just a few.
-Pit is a spammer I can do without. If you must keep him, tone down the annoying.
-Create your own character is a cool idea. Copy+Paste attacks from other characters to your character.
-ZS Samus' Final Smash could be better...

I'm taking you behind the barn tonight with a shotgun. Especially for the bolded. XD

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:38:59 AM
I'm taking you behind the barn tonight with a shotgun. Especially for the bolded. XD
I can't tell if thats good or bad... >_>;

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:24:19 AM
first off, random tripping has to go. the only things that should cause tripping are certain attacks, Bananas, and turning around on ice.

Classic Mode needs better bonus games. bring back Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish. if not, don't put in 2 Break the Targets.

Characters should be able to have alternate costumes like Wario has. for example, Samus should have the Varia Suit and the Fusion Suit. Snake could have an Old Snake skin. Mega Man could have a Proto Man skin.

Stage Builder needs to be expanded on. it's too limited as it is now.

finally, introduce a new B move. you know how Samus' missiles change depending on if you tilt or smash? well, give everyone that option. in short, two side B Moves: tilt and smash. i've even made a spreadsheet of what kind of moves the characters could have. this also includes tweaks to existing moves, and some characters i want to see in the next game. i've attached it below, along with a Word document detailing the changes and additions.

i can only suggest two other characters to be playable, but have yet to make movesets for. Saki and Captain N.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:03:17 AM
Alright, now that I'm done with the nightly matches, it's time for me to give this thread a booster shot. Now then, where to begin...

Characters

I'm gonna borrow a quote from myself that I left in the brawl thread as a precursor to this one:

Nintendo played it very conservatively in terms of diversifying the characters [For Brawl]. Lyn should damn well have been playable. She could have offered a different style of swordsmanship that Smash desperately needed. Saki is another one as well. Why couldn't he have been just like his AT, a nimble speeder with a crazy mix of short and long range prowess? Lil' Mac is another one, he's a [tornado fang]ing boxer, something that just screams interesting in the world of Smash. There are others though (Issac, Mike Jones, Takamaru, Lip, Ashley, Captain Syrup, Daisy, etc.) I guess what I'm trying to say for this part is, why is it that Brawl, that was supposed to be this hugely different game from Melee & 64 feels like it's trapped in the Melee days in terms of the roster? Why is it that Brawl didn't have more unique spell casters, witches and warlocks? Why do the Star Fox characters all still share heavy similarities? Why the [tornado fang] does Ganondorf, the [chameleon sting]ing king of darkness, still play mostly like Captain Falcon? Does that even make sense? (Excluding his side special which is one of the best, most fitting and creative moves for him imo XD)

[...] It's the truth, there were characters that should have been in Brawl because they would have played wildly unlike anything that was in the series up until that point and there are characters in the game right now that feel like they still have so much more progression and potential for unique skills and play styles.

With all that stated above, try and think differently and more creatively in terms of who should be in the game and how they would play. I'll be leaving some character ideas in here sometime in the future.

Main Mechanic for SSB4

I'd love to see it being more character intensive. I think the only focus/mechanic they haven't really touched upon that could work amazingly for the series would be an greater emphasis on team battles and actual teamwork mechanics. Maybe they could even move on from 4 people at a time on screen to 8 in order to further push the boundaries thus giving justification to a larger roster. Still this idea won't work if more ideas aren't put behind making everyone unique.

And that's all from me for tonight. Remember guys, this is all just a fun bit of speculation. Nothing is gained if you don't think outside of the box more often. XD

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 05:00:05 PM
Downloadable characters.

People would love it. Nintendo loves the money. It's a match made on heaven.

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:20:48 PM
I demand Bomberman as the Toon Link equivalent of Snake. D=

Oh, and Lyn would be nice. And Travis Touchdown. Even if he'd just be an Ike clone.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 06:32:32 PM
They should bring back all the stages from past games. I want me some updated Hyrule Castle, dammit!

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:28:09 PM
Less clones. Sure, their move sets are different enough to be a whole new character, but god damn it, I get enraged when a character like Megaman gets his spot stolen by ANOTHER [tornado fang]ing STAR FOX.

More female characters. Now before someone quotes me on one of the many times I've said "This is relevant to my interests" this is one of those times when it's not relevant to THOSE interests. I'm tired of seeing Peach, Zelda and Samus being the only female characters to make it into a Nintendo fighter when there are plenty of good female characters to put in instead of ANOTHER [tornado fang]ing STAR FOX.

And give Ganondorf his damn sword already. He uses it in a taunt in Brawl, but he really needs to use the damn thing as a [tornado fang]ing weapon.

As you can probably tell, I don't like Star Fox very much.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 10:38:14 PM
In no particular order.

- Bring Mewtwo back
- De-cheapify/balance Metaknight
- More classic stages
- Megaman
- Playable Ridley
- Alt. Costumes for any characters that could realistically use them (Dark Samus and Metal Sonic, anyone?)
- Fewer clones
- No Jigglypuff
- No Ness OR Lucas (either or)
- More F-Zero representation
- Give Capt. Falcon some kind of buff
- Make Smash Balls a little fairer (i.e. Metaknight racing Bowser for a Smash Ball. Who wins?)
- Change Falcon's Final Smash to the galaxy-shattering Falcon Punch he used in the anime
- Less Starfox
- Remove Lucario/Less Pokemon
- Extra download content (more songs, mostly)

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 10:38:28 PM

:'(

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 10:43:49 PM

... DO A BARREL ROLL!!!  :P

Anywho, I guess i'm one of the few who think being able to make custom characters would be awesome. Choose the character style, nintendo universe, individual attacks, and so forth.  :)

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 10:48:00 PM
Anywho, I guess i'm one of the few who think being able to make custom characters would be awesome. Choose the character style, nintendo universe, individual attacks, and so forth.  :)

Awesome, yes, but unless it ensured that each custom character was somehow balanced, who knows what kind of munchkinly gestalt abominations people would create? ._.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 10:49:37 PM
Awesome, yes, but unless it ensured that each custom character was somehow balanced, who knows what kind of munchkinly gestalt abominations people would create? ._.

Ike's Heavy Sword Hits and Invincibility frames + Pit's spammy nature + Lucario's power increase as damage increases ability + Heavy character endurance + Snake's C4 = Oh shi-

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 10:50:16 PM
If a character Creator IS made, it should be somewhat open-ended (Similar to Mortal Kombat or Soul Calibur.)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:09:30 AM
Graphics
~Make the menus a bit darker.
~Free up the camera! Naughty shots are going to happen no matter how much you try to avoid it, and it's not going to change the game's rating!!!
~And make snapshots JPG's or something usable! Really, Nintendo, ****!

Audio
~Less orchestra, more rock.
~Same level of variety.
~Better F-Zero songs.
~...what happened to the DK Rap?! Put that back in!
~Be able to use songs on your SD Card to add to all levels (but you have to add them; it's not automatic.)
~More poignant sound effects (SSB64 level).

Roster
~Shorten it to 30, not including double characters (Zelda, Samus, etc.)
~Sonic and Snake, do what they want. Buff Sonic a bit to where he actually can K.O., and/or nerf Snake a bit and take out his infi-tricks.
~But Mega Man must be in this time, provided Megaman Scramble Battle isn't made. (I was going to suggest the TMNT in a Pokemon Trainer fashion, but we already have a TMNT fighter coming that's much like Brawl, so no need.)
~Ridley, for pete's sake. Just make a Bowser or Charizard-sized Meta-Ridley.
~Rosalina is a must. Luma is optional.
~Axe either Falco or Wolf, give the surviving character a Meteor Smash as instantaneous and useful as Melee Falco's. (See, now Falco has to be in just the right position to use that spike; wasn't the case, before.)

Gameplay/Mechanics
~No stickers.
~No convoluted Adventure Mode. Have an overarching story, just don't make it a platformer.
~Keep co-op.
~No more ridiculous achievements or Trophy Stands.
~Buff the Shield. Yes, it's helpful against Metaknight, but I've had enough of trying to shield against attacks, then they still work. Shield cancels all until it runs out (hence, why even bother having the shield breaking in the first place). This will also give Heavy characters who already have a large/better shield the edge they apparently still need.
~Give all characters a "Counter", perhaps as a result of Perfect Shielding. Replace "Counter" specials with other moves. EDIT: WHOA, and if you do that, increase the timing window on the Perfect Shield.
~Increase the range of grabs done by hand.
~Change. Ganondorf's. Moveset.
~Buff Mario!
~No Demos, okay? Thanks. Use that space for something, y'know, USEFUL. Leave VC demos to the VC.
~Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard. End of story.
~And don't flood the 1P mode with Giants, Teams, and Metal characters.
~Axe Home-Run Contest; Revive Board the Platforms. Make them character-specific, and only passable by knowing each character's advanced movement techniques (for example, Pikachu crawling under some hazard, or Sonic using Homing Attack on a target waaay out to the side).
~And, as always, remove the infinite loops. Metaknight, Sonic, whoever's got 'em, take 'em out.
~Same for chainthrowing. Ice Climbers, Falco, etc.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:12 AM
OK, thing is, I have ideas for just about everything in the next game but I guess I've been having a bit of writer's block when it comes to putting some of those ideas in here.

I'll try and start up a different conversation now though, namely, what kind of "look" should the next game have? No doubt about it there were many visual orgasms from people in response to the new art direction and aesthetics in Brawl from the day the first trailer was revealed. While it is leaps and bounds better in than in both the previous entries in the series, sometimes you have to wonder how it could be freshened up even further. What I'm suggesting will sound a bit crazy at first, but think about it: a hyper stylized cel-shaded Smash Bros. Imagine if the next game on the next Nintendo console looked and played like the atmosphere in the official and concept art for Super Mario Strikers / Mario Strikers Charged?

For the record, this is neither a change for change's sake, nor is it a "me too" sentiment in regards to jumping on the cel-shading bandwagon. It was just an interesting thought I had and wondered about. So then, does anyone else have anything to add or say in regards to this?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 02:58:53 AM
Nah. Putting the characters in a semi-realistic light has really helped the image of the series, and has provided for some nicely detailed character models. R.O.B. and Toon Link looked like they had never looked before, and looked great.

Leave cel-shading to spinoffs, and the "squiggly" style to sports. That would be consistent.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 03:02:03 AM
Keep in mind that I'm not a Smash Bros. expert and I've never played Melee (even though I technically own it since it's right there in my brother's room... X().

Adventure Mode
I could settle for a polished 3-hour Adventure Mode rather than a stretched out 12-hour quest. While I did enjoy segments and concepts of Subspace Emissary (familiar gameplay, a chance to include more classic characters and enemies, etc.), and even though the cutscenes are entertaining, the thing just drags on and on and on.

Clones
I personally don't mind the clones because there's a crapload of variety without them, but at least make those Final Smashes unique. Three Landmasters is just wrong.

Level Editor
Come on, at least give us some classic pieces like Mario bricks and ? blocks and DK barrels.

inafternolag

Everything else, just like Brawl. Same brilliant package.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 03:03:59 AM
Ach! That's right!

The Custom Stage Builder was actually pretty disappointing. Capcom needs to give Nintendo some pointers (he said, as he pointed at MM:PU's stage builder).

Offline shinobigoomba

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 03:06:48 AM
change the gravity so it's faster and less floaty

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 03:12:39 AM
Nah. Putting the characters in a semi-realistic light has really helped the image of the series, and has provided for some nicely detailed character models. R.O.B. and Toon Link looked like they had never looked before, and looked great.

Leave cel-shading to spinoffs, and the "squiggly" style to sports. That would be consistent.

Hmm, I can agree and disagree to this at the same time. Honestly, I'd just love to see the Smash world portrayed even once in a more zany and frantic light than ever before and I think a cartoon styling would enhance that feeling.

change the gravity so it's faster and less floaty

I agree with this, however it had better not resort back to Melee's sack of bricks physics.

Meanwhile, on to random thought number two for the night, namely the music. It's definitely one of Brawl's greatest accomplishments, but honestly, I want more varied styles of remix like electronica, hip-hop, and island where ever applicable in the next one. Overall though, there isn't much to improve on in this area, the sound team has been incredible throughout the series.

Coming up next in this thread, the character & roster debate. Lyn for SSB4. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 03:15:54 AM
Hmm? Electronica was present in the retro stages and Pictochat, and Island in Wind Waker's ship stage and Delfino Plaza.

Hip-Hop. Hmm. I guess the DK series? I know there's another series I'm forgetting that could be useful for that genre.