Mega Man Starbound - Galaxy's Champion

Yoku Man · 187541

Offline Yoku Man

• Robot Master of Yoku Blocks.
  • Resistance Member
  • "Don't Trust Your Eyes, Trust Mine."
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 10:54:07 PM
Thank you for the boss suggestions guys. But to be clear, these new Stardroids won't be locals lol. Mega Man will be whisked off to a far distant corner of the universe for this adventure.

Perhaps you guys can help come up with some planetary names that don't actually belong in our solar system. Its actually a plot point that I'll make clearer in a later post, one idea is that the original stardroids may have been "assigned" the names of the planets they would conquer. So perhaps one Stardroid that comes to mind could be "Gliese"?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:12 PM
Well *technically* Sedna isn't part of the solar system proper, as its orbit is far outside it. :P

Formalhaut
Pictoris
Leonis

Yeah I've got nothing else really; most extrasolar planet names involve the star's name, and thus the name of the constellation the star is in.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 11:18:23 PM
Er...wouldn't that complicate things? Most people wouldn't casually know the names of such planets. In this case, you'd have to use constellations instead (as those are very distant).

So, unless there's somebody who's an astronomy buff here...you won't get much results, I'm afraid. But hey, I won't judge. Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 11:33:51 PM
I'm an astronomy buff, hence my previous comment.

Constellations would be the best option due to the naming schemes of most extrasolar planets (the ones that don't have names that look like license plate numbers).

The other option would be to name them after particularly well-known stars such as Betelgeuse, Arcturus, Deneb, etc.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 12:19:45 AM
Constellations and Star names would be acceptable. As then it has relevance to Sunstar, possibly named as this solar systems doomsday weapon.

Thats another idea I have is perhaps Sunstar isn't the only doomsday weapon that was created. Wily once mentioned that his Nova Weapon would destroy Mega Man. Perhaps Sunstar is but one of many Nova Doomsday weapons. I'm been pondering the name of Nova as a villain. Perhaps Nova is some great evil who created the evil energy or is the source of the evil energy and also perhaps Ra Moon was his Super Computer. The Stardroids could be droids constructed by Nova as Lieutenants in his great evil army.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:02 AM
I think star names would be the most acceptable route, especially for the Sunstar relevance.

Also reference what the names mean if you can. For instance, Deneb should be a bird since it means something like "tail" in Arabic, and comes from a phrase meaning "tail of the hen". Arcturus could be a bear or something, due to its name originating in an ancient Greek word meaning "guardian of the bear." So on and so forth.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 01:37:53 AM
Problem with that is how many extrasolar planets have long complex names that extend beyond 1 word, and sometimes multiple planets share a name, like the Upsilon Andromedae series of planets, or even the Giliese planets. Some dont even have a name other than a serial number.

Why not constellations? that still falls under "Star Droids" even more literally than before. You could even make some of the Star Force bosses as classic style robots. And it would be an interesting follow up. the first stardroids were named after planets, the next after constellations

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 01:47:58 AM
Problem with that is how many extrasolar planets have long complex names that extend beyond 1 word, and sometimes multiple planets share a name, like the Upsilon Andromedae series of planets, or even the Giliese planets. Some dont even have a name other than a serial number.

Why not constellations? that still falls under "Star Droids" even more literally than before. You could even make some of the Star Force bosses as classic style robots. And it would be an interesting follow up. the first stardroids were named after planets, the next after constellations

Sounds reasonable. Post as many names as you can guys and I'll pick the best ones. While you guys are doing that I'm currently busy adding a few more sprites for Mega Man that I missed that are vital to the Gameboy games, such as his charging frames and his Mega Arm. NMario mentioned he would be willing and able to start the engine if he had material to work with, so I'm getting started. ;)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 03:33:43 AM
well theres a list of Modern AND former constellations on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_constellations

many of them sound cool,

my personal 8 choices being

Andromeda,
Aquarius,
Aries,
Hydra,
Orion,
Phoenix,
Scorpio,
Lupus

You COULD also follow the Zodiac, but those are 12, and Star Force already did most of them, so I dont know bout that.

I would think that the important part about choosing constellation names is being able to build on them. EG design a robot master around their theme. Lupus for example, is the wolf. So you could have a wolf themed boss. Aries is the god of war, so maybe something with a lot of weapons and [parasitic bomb]. Aquarius, water themed, etc.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:20 AM
But if it's a constellation, it loses the link with Sunstar that other star names have. Eh.

Arcturus
Antares
Betelgeuse
Deneb
Polaris
Rigel
Sirius
Spica
Vega

...those are all i can think of off the top of my head...

Offline KudosForce

• The wild card
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Will our future be good? Only the cards will tell.
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 04:08:05 AM
Gotta say that I agree with that last suggestion, since such a naming scheme would serve as a book end of sorts.

That and having Vega would serve as a neat nod to Star Force.

I apologize for not taking you into account earlier, by the way. I feel a tad ashamed.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 04:12:42 AM
Don't worry about it.

Also, Spica is the name of the mall in SF3, so with this naming scheme there's bound to be a few SF references.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21:43 AM
Dunno, I always felt that Sunstar being named after the Sun rather than just another planet, was what made him more special. Youve got the planets of the solar system, and then the robot named after the Sun itself, the most important part of a planetary system. Making them all named after stars kind of cheapens that effect IMO.

Also it has little variety. I mean how do you go about doing different themes for robots all named after a star? Stars are fire/light/heat. aside from that there isn't much you can do with it, without making them just that, only names which have no meaning outside of solely being for identification purposes.  At least with constellations, they come with themes already.

Thats not to say you cant have another star named bot(s) just that naming a Stardroid after a star just seems too special to use for all 8 bosses...

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 04:54:19 AM
I already said how. Use the meanings of the names.

I think star names would be the most acceptable route, especially for the Sunstar relevance.

Also reference what the names mean if you can. For instance, Deneb should be a bird since it means something like "tail" in Arabic, and comes from a phrase meaning "tail of the hen". Arcturus could be a bear or something, due to its name originating in an ancient Greek word meaning "guardian of the bear." So on and so forth.

Also, constellations are groups of stars. If a Stardroid is named after a star, then wouldn't a constellation name fit more for a group of them. Add in Starsim's idea that Sunstar wasn't the only doomsday weapon, and you can have that link as well. Not to mention that maybe these Stardroids have lost some power over time; maybe Wily fixed Sunstar up so he'd be in better shape than his brethren.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 05:12:08 AM
Well Star force didnt have a problem with naming characters after constellations. >3>

And those names are a bit deep... I mean, i tried to pic constellation names that are a bit more commonly known outside of the constellations, and whose meanings are already not too complicated to understand. How in the world do you propose the theme for a star like Betelgeuse? It's name itself has changed many times and is not a word, but derivative of other words.

EDIT:

Lets not clutter up the topic with an argument over naming systems... Lets agree to disagree on the matter and just let Starsims choose. >_> Weve both presented our ideas, lets leave it at that...

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: March 03, 2012, 06:49:03 AM
Honestly, if your aiming for Constellation Bots, Orion is a must.  It is defenitely recognized by most.

Orion
Sirius
Vega
Rigel

These four are the probably the most recognized names, four me if not most people.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:30 PM
So far I'm taking quite a shine to:

- Aquarius (Holding a Vase of Flowing Water related to the winter solstace)
- Arcturus (Guardian of the Bear)
- Deneb ("tail of the hen" possible bird)
- Hydra (A many headed serpent)
- Lupus (Hybrid creature, half man, half lion or possible dog or wolf related)
- Orion (A Hunter, perhaps a bow weilding Stardroid)
- Polaris (The North Star) "The dogs tail"
- Rigel ("Left foot" of Orion, Foot of the great one, conquerer, perhaps a female Stardroid, Terra's sister?)
- Sirius ("Glowing, "Scorcher" Perhaps a fire based dog Stardroid)
- Vega ("Falling, "Landing" "the alighting vulture")

Important that the first two letters are all different so that their weapons can be distinguished on the Weapon Select Screen. Thats 9 names, I'm not sure which one to discard, unless I carry on the new tradition that Mega Man Unlimited is using, and have 9 bosses. :P I think naming them after stars is fine as they are STAR Droids. Perhaps these ones were assigned to these star sectors, whilst the 8 sent to our Solar System in MMV were only given assignments to each of our planets.

No need to worry about the Stardroids being given names of stars.  Perhaps the Nova Weapons (Like Sunstar) can be named after TYPES of stars, rather than names we've given stars. E.g. Sunstar, Darkstar, Neutronstar, etc. I think that only one more of these legendary weapons will be featured in this fangame. Mega Man will come to learn that Nova has spread these doomsday weapons across the universe to destroy all non robotic life. By the end of the game Mega Man could destroy one of them and leave the story open for a sequel where he goes forth to find the others.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #42 on: March 03, 2012, 08:40:41 PM
I'd drop Aquarius, personally. I mean, that way none of them share a first letter, making it even easier to distinguish weapons.

But yeah, that sounds great; I think the Nova Weapon for this one should be named either Darkstar or Neutronstar, to give a feeling that they're even more powerful than Sunstar was.

Offline Yllisos Zanon

• The Laberynth Librarian
  • Resistance Member
  • Individuality, so F*#K popularity
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 03, 2012, 09:03:48 PM
I can see Aquarius being a fortress boss, really. 

If you don't decide to have the main villain having star in his name, my next suggestion.  Wyrme, short term for 'Worm Hole'.

They're coming to take me away
hee hee hoo hoo haw haw

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=veasman#

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 03, 2012, 09:06:46 PM
I can see Aquarius being a fortress boss, really. 

If you don't decide to have the main villain having star in his name, my next suggestion.  Wyrme, short term for 'Worm Hole'.

Wyrme sounds like a nice name for a regular enemy actually lol.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:40 AM
If you must drop a name, then I would go for Deneb. Dunno. Just dont like it.

- Polaris (The North Star)
Soooo.... It's gonna be a martial arts bot that makes heads explode?

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:30 AM
I've updated the first post with a final full sprite sheet of Mega Man, includes more angles and poses and all the different charge shot colour frames too.
Next I'll be doing a sprite sheet of Helmetless Mega Man and then Rock. Then it'll be onto others like Proto Man, Roll, Rush, Wily etc.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #47 on: March 04, 2012, 04:59:10 AM
I've updated the first post with a final full sprite sheet of Mega Man, includes more angles and poses and all the different charge shot colour frames too.
Next I'll be doing a sprite sheet of Helmetless Mega Man and then Rock. Then it'll be onto others like Proto Man, Roll, Rush, Wily etc.

I really don't get the idea of using more angles. Are we going for a RockMan 8-bit Death-Match style play, where you can shoot and jump in more than 1 direction?

Also, I don't see why you needed to include the other color swatches for the other frames. It just makes it more confusing than the sheet needs to be. :-/

Offline Yoku Man

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 07:22:52 AM
I really don't get the idea of using more angles. Are we going for a RockMan 8-bit Death-Match style play, where you can shoot and jump in more than 1 direction?

Also, I don't see why you needed to include the other color swatches for the other frames. It just makes it more confusing than the sheet needs to be. :-/

It's all there just incase it's ever needed. Who knows where the development of this game will lead? I included multiple angles incase anything new like the spinning platforms ftom Mega Man 5 or something similar is later devised. The charging frames are also important for reference as I examined the gameboy charging effect not all of Mega Mans colours swap, they get jumbled up. I don't think all of these sprites will end up being used, some new ones may end up having ro be added. This is all merely for reference and also to provide the first ever Mega Mania full sprite sheet. None exists with Mega Man in this style, it may have uses beyond our fangame.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #49 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:32 AM
It's all there just incase it's ever needed. Who knows where the development of this game will lead? I included multiple angles incase anything new like the spinning platforms ftom Mega Man 5 or something similar is later devised. The charging frames are also important for reference as I examined the gameboy charging effect not all of Mega Mans colours swap, they get jumbled up. I don't think all of these sprites will end up being used, some new ones may end up having ro be added. This is all merely for reference and also to provide the first ever Mega Mania full sprite sheet. None exists with Mega Man in this style, it may have uses beyond our fangame.

For the spinning platforms ala MM5, you only need the standing spinning animation. We won't need any other angles for running, jumping or shooting. If I programmed them, I would just use the default running animation if the player tries to run on these things.

For the color cycling effect for a sprite sheet, all you need is the standing animation to show which colors get cycled. or at least a palette index tile to show which colors get rotated (like what some of my small examples show). :)

Everything else there is unnecessary, IMHO. I know it's a reference fro you, but at least you should condense it a bit to look less confusing. :-/