Have you heard about the "SNES"? I hear it's the latest thing!

ZeroCracked · 5890

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Didn't know where to post this, so I did it here. Sue me.

Call this a rant topic if you will, but I am honestly APPALLED at the number of people OLDER THAN ME who don't know what a Genesis or N64 is. I swear, half the internet is going "HERP DERP XBOX360 HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MILLIONS OF YEERS!". Honestly, I, just earlier today, asked a guy if he remembered the N64 days, and he was like "N64? Is that some new thing you kids are playing?". I know it wasn't sarcasm, because I literally had to educate him on what it was, and in the end he was like "OOOHHH, I thought Gamecube was the first one".

This puts 4/5's of RPM on the ban button for stupid topic. Let discussion ensue.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 05:37:28 AM
I haven't encountered anyone like that yet, but I wouldn't doubt that such people exist.  There are some people who, for whatever reason, be they religious or just plain nutters, are sheltered for most of their lives.  My niece and nephews are growing up without a TV, and that is just fine.  They don't need it.  But, not having one will hinder any "current events" assignments they need to do.  But, also, due to not being exposed to the media, they will also not be very informative (I guess) when it comes to the latest gaming systems, or even gaming in general.  So, I can see them becoming those types of people who haven't a clue about gaming history.

Thankfully, though, they have me.  I'm the family's ultra-nerd.  They need to be caught up on something nerdy, they come to me.

But anyway, it's certainly plausible that there will be people who have not a single clue about gaming history.  Like Amish people.  Think they'd know about the Dreamcast?

But yeah, I have no idea where I was going with this.

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:19 AM
I haven't encountered anyone like that yet, but I wouldn't doubt that such people exist.  There are some people who, for whatever reason, be they religious or just plain nutters, are sheltered for most of their lives.  My niece and nephews are growing up without a TV, and that is just fine.  They don't need it.  But, not having one will hinder any "current events" assignments they need to do.  But, also, due to not being exposed to the media, they will also not be very informative (I guess) when it comes to the latest gaming systems, or even gaming in general.  So, I can see them becoming those types of people who haven't a clue about gaming history.

Thankfully, though, they have me.  I'm the family's ultra-nerd.  They need to be caught up on something nerdy, they come to me.

But anyway, it's certainly plausible that there will be people who have not a single clue about gaming history.  Like Amish people.  Think they'd know about the Dreamcast?

But yeah, I have no idea where I was going with this.

I see where you're coming from, but there are some people who are utterly ignorant. I'd flesh out this post more, but my five minutes are up. I'll be back.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline MrBaryl

• A new Shooting Star.
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Everything for you"
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 06:46:15 AM
It's always funny how people give a damn about videogame ignorance.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:12 AM
Oh yeah, the good old days when everyone called the NES "Sega" around here. Oh and most non gamer call any console "Playstation". 

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:39 AM
This is like me complaining about people not knowing anything about Terry Pratchett, or the Wheel of Time series.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:31:45 AM
well...not really related to the thread....

Some friend of mine said something back in October, his older sister had a 3DS which wasn't even supposed to come out yet, then when i said that is not even released yet and got postponed, he went and said maybe she got it earlier. *shrugs*

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 01:09:11 PM
This is like me complaining about people not knowing anything about Terry Pratchett,
Such people even exist? That can't be right.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:14:12 PM
This is like me complaining about people not knowing anything about Terry Pratchett, or the Wheel of Time series.
Who and what?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 03:33:36 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 03:55:58 PM
Oh and most non gamer call any console "Playstation". 
I remember that. usually they were the same people who pronounced Pokemon as "Poekeymans"

Also, Zero, are you sure it wasnt an adult? like, say, someone in their 40's -60's? Because I know I couldnt get my parents to remember a console name to save my life.

they are also the ones that blame everything on videogames.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 04:17:54 PM
I know lots of people who don't know anything past the N64.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 04:22:59 PM
O^O

Disc World series~ <3
Hey, I can't know everything >.>
I remember that. usually they were the same people who pronounced Pokemon as "Poekeymans"

Also, Zero, are you sure it wasnt an adult? like, say, someone in their 40's -60's? Because I know I couldnt get my parents to remember a console name to save my life.

they are also the ones that blame everything on videogames.
Well, I'm glad my parent can distinguish between the PS1,2 and 3..though they don't know about X-box and Wii and frankly, I don't blame them. Those don't get advertised as much if at all. Also, If I wouldn't visit videogame based sites, I would have never heard of the N64, Dreamcast, Saturn and frankly not even the Genesis.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 04:35:16 PM
Well, the 360 has been out for millions of years.

Also, complaining topic = x.x

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 04:55:44 PM
Didn't know where to post this, so I did it here. Sue me.

Call this a rant topic if you will, but I am honestly APPALLED at the number of people OLDER THAN ME who don't know what a Genesis or N64 is. I swear, half the internet is going "HERP DERP XBOX360 HAS BEEN AROUND FOR MILLIONS OF YEERS!". Honestly, I, just earlier today, asked a guy if he remembered the N64 days, and he was like "N64? Is that some new thing you kids are playing?". I know it wasn't sarcasm, because I literally had to educate him on what it was, and in the end he was like "OOOHHH, I thought Gamecube was the first one".

This puts 4/5's of RPM on the ban button for stupid topic. Let discussion ensue.
*headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk* *HEADDESK* *HEADDESK*
I haven't even played the SNES, N64, PlayStation (first), GameCube, Genesis, Saturn, etc. and yet I know they exist. These people, like the one you mentioned, are idiots on so many levels that I almost fainted.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 05:02:43 PM
These people, like the one you mentioned, are idiots on so many levels that I almost fainted.

Please don't give gamers and even worse reputation

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 05:11:44 PM
I haven't even played the SNES, N64, PlayStation (first), GameCube, Genesis, Saturn, etc. and yet I know they exist. These people, like the one you mentioned, are idiots on so many levels that I almost fainted.
You sir, are an idiot. Go to the corner and think about what you said and don't get back until you've relised your wrongs.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 05:56:28 PM
Please don't give gamers and even worse reputation
Okay, what am I doing wrong?
You sir, are an idiot. Go to the corner and think about what you said and don't get back until you've relised your wrongs.
What, I'm an idiot for not touching these things but still acknowledging their existence?

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 06:03:32 PM
not having one will hinder any "current events" assignments they need to do.
Even with a TV, I mean--
[tornado fang] current events assignments, man. I don't give a [parasitic bomb] about politics anymore. Or killings, for that matter. YES, I do know there are murders and instances of [twin slasher] every day. WE'RE LIVING ON PLANET EARTH. Even with a TV, you get inundated with sensory diarrhea, and these middle school fucks expect me to churn out something worthwhile on a last-minute basis. I'd like to see THEM try to dig out rhodium from a prison inmate's ass.

Anyway, on the topic at hand, ignorance is a given, I suppose. But if you claim to be a "gamer expert master man" and yet not know of consoles that aren't even that old yet... you're probably that [tornado fang]ing idiot that linked Ebert to the cutscene of MGS3 to prove that video games are art. [tornado fang] you, you organismic wasteland.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 06:19:01 PM
Okay, what am I doing wrong?What, I'm an idiot for not touching these things but still acknowledging their existence?
NO! You are an idiot because you call others idiots for stupid reasons. One doesn't have to know about everything. Calling someone idiot because he doesn't know everything is idiotic.
Are you an idiot if you don't understand the history of music? Are you an idiot if you don't know all the religions there exist? Are you an idiot if you don't know all the game consoles that have been created?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:22 PM
I'm an idiot for not touching these things but still acknowledging their existence?
No. You're an idiot, because you just generally called people who aren't THAT MUCH interested in those things/got into gaming this generation/CASUALS idiots.
Sure, ignorance is one thing, but not everyone needs to [tornado fang]ing know about Genesis or Sega Saturn, or [tornado fang], even Gamecube.
Just because they don't know, it doesn't make them idiots.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:13 PM
OKAY. I get it now. Ugh. I'm outta here. B(

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
And stay out!

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:26:44 PM

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:19 PM