New Capcom game to be showcased at Comic-Con

HokutoNoBen · 27124

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:02 AM
Sorry for those who were really getting hot n bothered over that announcement from Capcom Europe's tweet. But this one seems to be more "legit"...

Thursday, July 22 - 4:45-5:45 Capcom 2010 and Beyond!— See the latest trailers and get the inside scoop on all of Capcom’s most highly anticipated games for 2010 and beyond: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Sengoku Basara, Okamiden, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2, Ghost Trick, Dead Rising 2, and more. On top of all that, hear details on an exciting new game announcement by Capcom legend Keiji Inafune, the father of Mega Man! Room 6BCF

comic-con

thanks Siliconera

Capcom and Udon to lift the lid off of a new Vampire/Darkstalkers game? Mega Man Universe to be showcased at last?

Couple that with Ono being at EVO this weekend, and it could stand to be a most interesting turn of events set for these next few weeks.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:55:07 AM
Something tells me "new game announcement" doesn't necessarily mean "new game"

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:57:18 AM

I don't see a reason for it not to be a new game.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 05:00:20 AM
This sounds interesting.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:04:14 AM
Worst case scenario: Rockman OSS 2 or NA announcement for the original OSS (ok, maybe the former wouldn't be that bad done properly)

Best case scenario: Legends 3, Megaman Universe or revival of *insert your favorite old Capcom franchise here*

Best case scenario for me that there's no way it's gonna happen: CvS3

Not gonna get too hyped though.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:07:03 AM
It's comicon. Obviously, Capcom's announcement will be about something the western audience likes, as opposed to a japanese title that's more niche.

Although it'd be awesome if Inafune stood in front of the audience and went "I am hereby announcing... a new game!" and then just walked away. That'd sure fulfill the promise. =P

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:08:38 AM
Or maybe he'll just start a new game on battle network.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 05:16:28 AM

Well, they gotta start showing something. As of right now, Capcom didn't show anything truly new at E3 (unless those 3DS games/port concepts count), and as of right now, their fall/winter line-up is looking pretty dry with only Dead Rising 2 and Sengoku BASARA 3.

Plus, Jun Takeuchi pretty much teased as such.  

Quote from: Takeuchi-san
"This year's Capcom is very interesting. The titles we'll announce in the future will surprise many people. We'll be announcing this year the things that Inafune (Keiji) and I have been working on over the past year."

- http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/27/takeuchi_re6/

Well...time to get cracking on that, I say. This is the second to last big public event that Capcom can take advantage of, with TGS being next...

Aresian

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:29:00 AM
It's comicon. Obviously, Capcom's announcement will be about something the western audience likes, as opposed to a japanese title that's more niche.

Although it'd be awesome if Inafune stood in front of the audience and went "I am hereby announcing... a new game!" and then just walked away. That'd sure fulfill the promise. =P

Sadly Flash might be right. Which sucks honestly... most westernfags don't care for Legends. Hell, most people don't care for Legends at all.

This is a sad day... maybe.

I guess I await for Capcom to make me cry soon.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:46:36 AM
Sadly Flash might be right. Which sucks honestly... most westernfags don't care for Legends. Hell, most people don't care for Legends at all.

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm thinking that at this point in time, Inafune might have been afforded the opportunity to work on something that he really wants to work on (he's even hinted at such back at Captivate), following being able to provide a number of things that made his overlords at Capcom happy. Because hey, even the head of Capcom R&D has to pay his dues. If that much is true, then worrying about what the West thinks may be able to be put on the back-burner. After all, if he makes a good enough game well enough, people will set their watches to it.

It's pretty much the same thing that goes along with Ono and his Darkstalkers idea, as well. The Vampire series definitely didn't catch on in the West, thanks to a deadly, yet vanilla-flavored combo of Capcom's over-marketing of Fighting games in the 90s and American apathy in the face of Marvel and SFAlpha. However, even as a new Darkstalkers game definitely doesn't seem likely to be any where near SF4 or the upcoming MvC3's mainstream success, it could stand to be a nice answer to those who want a decidedly more "hardcore-catering" fighting game from Capcom (like myself), at the worst.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:11:10 AM
DC vs. Capcom! 

Bank on it!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:20:35 AM
DC vs. Capcom! 

Bank on it!
OH GOD I COULD FAP TO THAT IDEA. If the companies weren't mad at each other, imagine Capcom making a Marvel vs DC. SO GLORIOUS.

Maybe, maybe not. But I'm thinking that at this point in time, Inafune might have been afforded the opportunity to work on something that he really wants to work on (he's even hinted at such back at Captivate), following being able to provide a number of things that made his overlords at Capcom happy. Because hey, even the head of Capcom R&D has to pay his dues. If that much is true, then worrying about what the West thinks may be able to be put on the back-burner. After all, if he makes a good enough game well enough, people will set their watches to it.

It's pretty much the same thing that goes along with Ono and his Darkstalkers idea, as well. The Vampire series definitely didn't catch on in the West, thanks to a deadly, yet vanilla-flavored combo of Capcom's over-marketing of Fighting games in the 90s and American apathy in the face of Marvel and SFAlpha. However, even as a new Darkstalkers game definitely doesn't seem likely to be any where near SF4 or the upcoming MvC3's mainstream success, it could stand to be a nice answer to those who want a decidedly more "hardcore-catering" fighting game from Capcom (like myself), at the worst.
...if he did, it wouldn't be on Comic-Con. It has to be a mainstream, western-appealing title.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:39:43 AM
Legends 3, done by the guy who did Bayonetta...

I don't know...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:49:09 AM
Legends 3, done by the guy who did Bayonetta...

I don't know...
That's like telling Peter Gabriel to go apologise to Phil Collins. =P Not gonna happen.

Heck, I hope it IS Legends 3, however remote the possibility. Then everyone could shut up about it. XD

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:14:03 AM
DC vs. Capcom! 

Bank on it!
Do you know how hard you just made me? What are you gonna do about this, PB?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:26 AM
Legends 3? HA HA HA!
Not gonna happen.
Tough, it can't be too much of a stretch to say it might be... i just might be some other new MEGA GAME.

X9 : DDDDD

Aresian

Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 11:40:07 AM
If it WAS DC vs Capcom... I'd probably quit the game at this point.

Just ugh.

Anyway, I'm gonna bank on Ben... Being hopeful has brought me good things in my time... so here goes nothing.

Atleast X9 lolol... or something else that would be worth my time. Hell, I'd even take ZXABCD at this point.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 02:17:13 PM
If it WAS DC vs Capcom... I'd probably quit the game at this point.

Just ugh.
Why?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:03:13 PM
Well, in the case of Legends, I believe it is in fact underrated the world over.  However, in terms of non-turn-based MegaMan, I do believe the western audience has been a bit more supportive than the Japanese.  Recall what happened with ZX Advent.  Inafune has a bit of a record in expressing distaste for Japanese gaming trends; maybe he's been working to convince the rest of Capcom that they need to look at the rest of the world?

Of course, an announcement for western audiences could also simply refer to a localization.  "New" to people who do not possess the internet (when will gaming companies stop pretending that region locks accomplish anything?).  That would suck, but it's equally possible.

I pretty much always have to hope for Legends 3, though.  Hell, for the longest time I'd have been willing to take a handheld port of that damn cell phone game.

Atleast X9 lolol... or something else that would be worth my time. Hell, I'd even take ZXABCD at this point.
Given the "the next X will not be X9" statements allegedly referring to Online, I wouldn't be hopeful for X9 to arrive immediately in its wake.

ZX...would be nice.  I dunno, I see a lot of potential in the series but also a lot of it that went wasted across both games.  The titular model being so underwhelming is something I have a hard time forgiving, as is the lack of any option/unlockable to actually play as Vent/Aile in the sequel (A-Transing them does not cut it, sorry).  Inti *REALLY* needs to redo their boss damage formulas, too, and back off from all those damn side-fetch-quests.  And I really don't know what they were thinking with ZX1 trans-servers restoring health but not weapons, it kills any incentive to use the Big Four's charge attacks.  I want the story to go on, for sure, but the game mechanics need to be revamped.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 06:05:05 PM
I'm just going to wait and see what the news is about and not put my hopes up to much so I get dissapointed later...

Heres hoping for news on MMUniverse, New Darkstalkers or Breath of Fire 5...I can dream can't I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 06:40:12 PM
Well, in the case of Legends, I believe it is in fact underrated the world over.  However, in terms of non-turn-based MegaMan, I do believe the western audience has been a bit more supportive than the Japanese.  Recall what happened with ZX Advent.  Inafune has a bit of a record in expressing distaste for Japanese gaming trends; maybe he's been working to convince the rest of Capcom that they need to look at the rest of the world?

Of course, an announcement for western audiences could also simply refer to a localization.  "New" to people who do not possess the internet (when will gaming companies stop pretending that region locks accomplish anything?).  That would suck, but it's equally possible.

I pretty much always have to hope for Legends 3, though.  Hell, for the longest time I'd have been willing to take a handheld port of that damn cell phone game.
Given the "the next X will not be X9" statements allegedly referring to Online, I wouldn't be hopeful for X9 to arrive immediately in its wake.

ZX...would be nice.  I dunno, I see a lot of potential in the series but also a lot of it that went wasted across both games.  The titular model being so underwhelming is something I have a hard time forgiving, as is the lack of any option/unlockable to actually play as Vent/Aile in the sequel (A-Transing them does not cut it, sorry).  Inti *REALLY* needs to redo their boss damage formulas, too, and back off from all those damn side-fetch-quests.  And I really don't know what they were thinking with ZX1 trans-servers restoring health but not weapons, it kills any incentive to use the Big Four's charge attacks.  I want the story to go on, for sure, but the game mechanics need to be revamped.
Legends is underrated because it's not as well-known as the rest of the Megaman games. It's probably (IMO) the least well-known of the Megaman series. It's a pretty fun game, but it's nothing incredible. The one thing it's got going for it, is that it's basically Megaman in 3D. (not stereoscopic, I mean basic 3D gameplay). And to work as a game, respectfully at least, it would have to ditch pretty much all of the aspects of its old controls, and revamp its entire gameplay. And make the dungeons less boring.

So it would essencially be a different game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:09 PM
So play a different game, and let the rest of us keep drooling. >U<

(Out of curiosity, how many Legends games have you played?  There are different control tweaks in each one.)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 07:21:41 PM
I've never been to comfortable with the controls in either Legends game. And for me personally, i felt that the lock-on feature was a little messy as well as the camera. None the less, it was still a very fun game. So if they were to make a new Legends, they would have to: fix the camera, have the lock-on targets transition smoothly from one enemy to the next, make the dungeons livelier, perhaps add more puzzle elements and give the controls a "pick up and play" feel.

and revamp its entire gameplay.

The gameplay itself was fine, it was just some of those design choices and somewhat messy controls that needs reworking.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 07:43:34 PM
It's a shame, because I see how Legends' camera controls are perceived as unapproachable, but I actually grew quite fond of them.  Once you adjust, it seamlessly fits constant manual camera control into gameplay, and that makes the whole experience a lot smoother, always watching the action from the direction you want without ever having to think about it, re-adjust your thumbs, whatever.  I actually find myself missing it in other games, such as Mario Galaxy (YOU MAY NOT MOVE THE CAMERA UNTIL YOU COME TO A COMPLETE STOP, FOOLISH EARTHLING!  Seriously, I want to reach through my TV screen and rip out that damn buzzer.).  It's just not that instinctive to learn it in the first place. :\

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 08:04:21 PM
So play a different game, and let the rest of us keep drooling. >U<

(Out of curiosity, how many Legends games have you played?  There are different control tweaks in each one.)
Oh, PLEASE. All of the time you've known me, you think I'm gonna stand and just watch a fanbase LIKE a game? =P

But to be honest, tank controls are outdated. Metroid Prime was the last game to use them decently, and that's because the directions were included in the analog stick. It didn't make looking around any easier, though. If a decent Legends 3 game is made, it's gonna be one of two things. Either it's gonna be a third-person shooter, with two analogs for moving and turning and MAYBE a lock-on button if you're easymodo, or it's gonna be a game where you run around freely like any platformer, and have a lock-on trigger. My money's on the latter, but I'd love for it to be the former. With no lock-on. It would drive the fans MAAAAAD. =P

Honestly, it would really work the way Other M is being done.