The Light Myth: Palutena's Mirror / Kid Icarus Thread

VixyNyan · 59639

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: September 14, 2011, 11:18:34 AM
Then it might as well have not existed. =P I'm talking about the overall popularity this game has, that would grant an anime after it.

But yeah, you're right. One single game that people sometimes hear about, and an obscure Game Boy title.  Still not enough to style a big franchise. Did his Brawl version just have an INSANE amount of popularity or something? If so, why no Ice Climber HD or Mother HD, Nintondu?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #76 on: September 14, 2011, 11:22:54 AM
Screw that noise.

BRING BACK R.O.B.!!

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 03:46:41 PM
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy) was made by the main R&D1 team at Nintendo but was only published in NA and EU. That's why in the Uprising conversations between Palutena (<3), Pit and Medusa, they only mention the first game and how long it has been since they met (more than 20 years, breaking 4th walls, and so on. XD). Not to mention that most of the enemies and bosses were picked from the NES/FDS version of the game and then remade for Uprising.

The Game Boy game also had a completely different last boss and plot, so it wasn't really part of the main chronology, but more in the sidelines.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTlJS9EtanA[/youtube]

The reason for popularity is maybe because of the complete design overhaul they had to do for all the characters and the setting of the overall series in general. Because Sakurai and his HAL team tested the waters with Dairantou X (Brawl), it would be fair enough to see how the feedback on the redesign and their view on the Greek Mythology fairs in the Land of the Rising Sun. Also I think the up-spirited personality of the characters and their familiarity in the eyes of the beholder ended up being such a big success that they would make an animated adaption of the series (anime).

And so on. ;3

F-Zero and Star Tropics would be nice to see too. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #78 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:16 PM
F-Zero and Star Tropics would be nice to see too. ^^
Thanks, Vixy!

Also, [tornado fang] YEAH STARTROPICS!!

They really need to look at that one again... ;_;

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:47 PM
I just honestly don't know the reasoning behind a Kid Icarus AAA game plus an anime, since he was far from the most popular character in Brawl. I just suspected Nintendo would make a new Mother/F-Zero/Ice Climber game as well.

...or something new, for a change. >_>;;;

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #80 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:56 PM
plus an anime

Honestly, pics or it didn't happen. Since this is japan, I bet when that's dubbed here they'll make him say "icarus" at the end of almost every damn sentence. >____>

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:28 PM
Honestly, pics or it didn't happen. Since this is japan, I bet when that's dubbed here they'll make him say "icarus" at the end of almost every damn sentence. >____>
Don't you rike it, Gaia-chan? Kawaii-desu-ne-uguuzuu? Mochichi peepee kaka moe! =3

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:38 PM
Dammit, now ya make me wanna take a suntan from an oven now, thanks. <_<

Wondering how long'll it will take before anyone realizes we'll get obviously diddly squat from nintendo in the anime front.. and it will take at least three years to get a trailer for it to surface in the winter lineup.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:11 PM
Wondering how long'll it will take before anyone realizes we'll get obviously diddly squat from nintendo in the anime front.. and it will take at least three years to get a trailer for it to surface in the winter lineup.

I'm sure someone with a Japanese 3DS will upload it on YouTube. Plus, Vixy has one.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: September 15, 2011, 02:49:10 AM
Why they called him Icarus, I'll never know. I always associate the name with a guy who got into family trouble, his cooldad gave him a way out, and he went full retard. HEAT MELTS WAX, YOU TARD.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #85 on: September 15, 2011, 05:24:14 AM
I'm thinking, if Palutena and Medusa's artwork is on the first post of this topic, where's Pit's artwork?  o~O

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #86 on: September 15, 2011, 06:21:49 AM
Why they called him Icarus, I'll never know. I always associate the name with a guy who got into family trouble, his cooldad gave him a way out, and he went full retard. HEAT MELTS WAX, YOU TARD.
The Greek myth of Icarus involved a boy who, upon wings made by his own father, flew too close to the sun and his wings failed.

No doubt they named the games Kid Icarus because you play as a boy with wings. With Greek influences.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: September 15, 2011, 10:46:34 AM
The Greek myth of Icarus involved a boy who, upon wings made by his own father, flew too close to the sun and his wings failed.

No doubt they named the games Kid Icarus because you play as a boy with wings. With Greek influences.
Yes, it was Deadalus' son, and they did it to escape Minos' Labyrinth, after Deadalus made sure it was inescapable, Theseus managed to escape it by tying a string to the exit, and following it as he went out. Deadalus and Icarus were locked inside, and Deadalus made wings out of wax and seagull feathers for them to escape. Then Theseus was so happy with his new wings, flew too close to the sun and the wax melted. He fell in the sea and died, while his dad escaped to another kingdom.

There's a whole lotta [parasitic bomb] that happens with Deadalus, but Icarus is just that, a stupid kid written as an example of stupid children who don't listen to their parents in greek myths. And yet, he gets referenced everywhere for this and that.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #88 on: September 15, 2011, 10:51:08 AM
I guess Icarus fit better, since you're controlling a boy.

Who knows, maybe Pit was supposed to be a bit stupid just like Icarus...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: September 15, 2011, 11:10:45 AM
I just dunno why the game is called "Kid Icarus" at all. Since Icarus is just a footnote in greek mythology, and has nothing to do with actual winged beings/angels in the first place. He's just a stupid kid metaphor.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #90 on: September 15, 2011, 01:47:34 PM
In the gameboy game, you get a cutscene after beating the final boss of flying upwards and, indeed, losing your wings as the sun gets close. I think emulated versions of the game freeze at that exact point, leaving you wondering what the hell happens after.
EDIT: ah no, it freezes before you get there. But I owned a cart, might still have it somewhere...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:58 PM
Probably symbolic. I kinda hate that Icarus, being a shitty footnote, got more known than Deadalus, who was a sly pimp mothafucka. He was probably the greatest character in greek mythology, along with Ulysses.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #92 on: September 15, 2011, 10:28:34 PM
What about best buds Damon and Pythias? They've pretty much SOLIDIFIED the concept of the power of friendship right there. I'm pretty sure there were other stories of rebel children in greek mythology other than the story of Icarus, although technically the protagonist's name is PIT and the JP's name is THE LIGHT MYTH, why'd they call it Kid Icarus? Why not The Light Kid instead?

But yeah, I'd like to see more artwork in this topic in the future, there's a lack of scans and such in this topic anywhoo.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 01:09:11 AM
Anybody else think it's kinda weird that Nintendo's basically banking every single thing they got into a franchise that hasn't come out yet?
A little.  But Kid Icarus was pretty much their showcase 3DS title back when the system was announced, so I'd imagine they've been watching the hype train closely if nothing else.

That and lots of people seem to [sonic slicer] that they rely too heavily on Mario and Zelda.  *shrugs*

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:32 AM
I just hope it doesn't backfire. But Kid Icarus seems to be a completely new concept for them in terms of everything, and they're fully treating it like a new IP. So it seems quite alot more interesting.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: September 20, 2011, 04:42:23 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zu8X3A_tWU[/youtube]

Same trailer as before, but some extra seconds added at the very end. Something secret.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #96 on: September 20, 2011, 05:05:29 PM
That looks really awesome.

I can't wait to play it. ^.^

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: October 22, 2011, 05:04:57 AM

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #98 on: October 22, 2011, 03:44:41 PM
I'd be curious to know how they're going to make effective use of the 3D effect in a black-background game.  Maybe they'll pull some camera angle tricks like in Excite Bike?

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: October 22, 2011, 09:40:34 PM
I've always wanted to try Kid Icarus, It'd be cool if they included it with Uprising. The 3D Classics on the shop seem lacking to me, and these games might change that.