The Megami Tensei Thread

ViperAcidZX · 26505

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
on: February 17, 2010, 11:24:36 PM

Feel free to talk about the Megami Tensei series, character, demons, media, etc. here.

I'll start. Any tips on Devil Survivor for a Megami Tensei newbie like me?

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:54 PM
Don't suck like Rad.
You'll be doomed.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:08:37 AM
Right now, I got an illness that will not go away. Because the only cure is SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 4. Not Persona. Not even Devil Summoner (much as I love it).

Make it happen, already, Atlus. My PS3 hungers for that mysterious listing that got onto Amazon.jp a month ago! 8D

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:44:07 AM
Maaaaaraaaaaaaaaaaaa. He is green and icky.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:32 AM

Offline AimlessZealot

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:00:13 AM
My eyes.. oh god.. my eyes... It--It... I--*gibbers into a vegetative state*

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:10:34 AM
Thread needs moar Persona.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 02:13:09 AM
I love this series, but man do I suck at it.

Right now, I got an illness that will not go away. Because the only cure is SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 4. Not Persona. Not even Devil Summoner (much as I love it).

Import Strange Journey?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:57:52 AM
Import Strange Journey?

Nah, I can wait for that.

Still! I really want a proper SMT 4. Persona just doesn't stroke it for me quite like the "proper" SMT games.  8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 04:59:24 AM
Well, I said it because SJ was supposed to be SMT4 proper if I remember that quote correctly :P

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53:22 AM
I can't wait for Strange Journey. :U More games for my DS! It's been lonely lately, only getting attention for the first time last night. in quite a while. XD

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:49 AM

Feel free to talk about the Megami Tensei series, character, demons, media, etc. here.

I'll start. Any tips on Devil Survivor for a Megami Tensei newbie like me?

If you're a newbie, you may want to focus on upgrading your Main Character's physical strength on levelling up until it hits maybe 18 or 19, and then focus on Magic and Health (with the occasional Agility boost), because otherwise Day 3's boss fight might prove tricky. Also, any Demon you can obtain with either Evil or (I think) Chaos Wave as an ability will be your friend, because you can snipe enemies from two or three panels away, and they can only retaliate if they have a demon with the same ability on their team. As far as passive abilities for your Main Character, Hustle and Tailwind are useful if your MC is lacking in physical strength or agility.
Cracking the Elemental Dances (especially Holy Dance) is also useful, particularly against enemy squads that only contain one member, as they'll take all the hits. I'd also recommend cracking Pierce onto one of your characters, so if there's an enemy squad leader that you CAN kill flanked by two that might be more tricky, you can deal full damage to the squad leader instead of the reduced damage normally dealt.

S'not much, but I hope that helps :)

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:38:05 PM
great series, i'm one of those who got into it by never having a chance to play Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, but then got the chance much later when Digital Devil Saga came out~  Great game~

I'm taking my sweet time w/ Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou 1 at the moment since I have a bad habit of starting 2-4 games in intervals then do chunks each at a time lol.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:38 PM

If this guy doesn't get ya, let's just say his vehicle will. Honestly, I just love these desgins. My first SMT game was actually.. Demi Kids Dark, yeah. If only my brother didin't HAVE to have the PS2 in his room, I'd be playing Persona right now. >.>

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:54 PM
If you're a newbie, you may want to focus on upgrading your Main Character's physical strength on levelling up until it hits maybe 18 or 19, and then focus on Magic and Health (with the occasional Agility boost), because otherwise Day 3's boss fight might prove tricky. Also, any Demon you can obtain with either Evil or (I think) Chaos Wave as an ability will be your friend, because you can snipe enemies from two or three panels away, and they can only retaliate if they have a demon with the same ability on their team. As far as passive abilities for your Main Character, Hustle and Tailwind are useful if your MC is lacking in physical strength or agility.
Cracking the Elemental Dances (especially Holy Dance) is also useful, particularly against enemy squads that only contain one member, as they'll take all the hits. I'd also recommend cracking Pierce onto one of your characters, so if there's an enemy squad leader that you CAN kill flanked by two that might be more tricky, you can deal full damage to the squad leader instead of the reduced damage normally dealt.

I appreciate the help. Though its kinda funny that you bring up the Day 3 boss because I'm at Day on Devil Survivor as we speak at this moment. But right now I'm focusing on raising demons to fuse to get super-powerful ones, like this Pendragon that I fused; it has 28 in Str. Right now my MC's stats are all around 10, I was trying to make my MC well-rounded but focused on Agl, Str, and Mgc. f^_^;

Hey does anyone remember the "Miss" Yasogami Pageant on Persona 4? XD

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:20 AM
I appreciate the help. Though its kinda funny that you bring up the Day 3 boss because I'm at Day on Devil Survivor as we speak at this moment. But right now I'm focusing on raising demons to fuse to get super-powerful ones, like this Pendragon that I fused; it has 28 in Str. Right now my MC's stats are all around 10, I was trying to make my MC well-rounded but focused on Agl, Str, and Mgc. f^_^;

Hey does anyone remember the "Miss" Yasogami Pageant on Persona 4? XD

Pendragon's not bad, and your MC's stat spread is decent. My only concern with it involving the boss is that with the generic mooks that accompany it, it might be healing damage faster than you can deal it.

Also, Teddie as Alice was hilarious.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 12:25:48 AM
Right now I'm actually trying to chain-fuse some demons to create a Basilisk for my team since its stronger then the Toubyou Str and Mgc wise.

Man I was SO glad to watch that moment when my older bro played P4. Teddie for the win! :3

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 01:15:42 AM

I'd hit it. The fact that he's a guy just makes it better.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 01:21:35 AM

I agree partially. Leveling up the MC's STR is a good thing up until about 15 or so (if you can score any attack increasing spells or so, do nothing but have your demons use them in the battle with the boss in question), but there's too many moments in D.Survivor where you have to rescue someone, so Genma or Avian or Wilder demons are a must, so grab the latest ones and fuse'em, you'll need the movement space (I don't know if Avian's abilities and Wilder's abilities stack, so it might be better to just have two characters to have a Wilder at the start and the other to have an avian, and then when you get the 4th member, give'em another Avian). Chaos Wave and Evil Wave are not helpful when you need to cross the whole field to get to someone.

The problem with the Dances is that they tend to only hit twice, not three or four times. Pierce is another good ability, but the major problem with that is by the time you have access to it, most of the enemies will repel attacks instead of null, resist, or absorb, so having an Almighty attack works better. Speaking of which, GET DRAIN ASAP. In other SMT games, Drain isn't that useful of a spell, but here, with the right members, you can drain the entire enemy party of their MP and spent none whatsoever yourself in the end.

As far as ending's go, you can try Noya's (or whatever the cousin's name is) path first, since the beginning chick leads to a bad end and bad NG+ (won't spoil anything, but as far as rewards go, her's sucks since she doesn't do much, while every other path gives you +1 to move). While it doesn't really matter what path you go down, Noya is a damn good spellcaster and can REALLY make up for what you lose on his path. Seriously, he's more potent than the MC (mostly), it just sucks that certain spells require other stats to be high as well.

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 10:06:41 AM
I agree partially. Leveling up the MC's STR is a good thing up until about 15 or so (if you can score any attack increasing spells or so, do nothing but have your demons use them in the battle with the boss in question), but there's too many moments in D.Survivor where you have to rescue someone, so Genma or Avian or Wilder demons are a must, so grab the latest ones and fuse'em, you'll need the movement space (I don't know if Avian's abilities and Wilder's abilities stack, so it might be better to just have two characters to have a Wilder at the start and the other to have an avian, and then when you get the 4th member, give'em another Avian). Chaos Wave and Evil Wave are not helpful when you need to cross the whole field to get to someone.

The problem with the Dances is that they tend to only hit twice, not three or four times. Pierce is another good ability, but the major problem with that is by the time you have access to it, most of the enemies will repel attacks instead of null, resist, or absorb, so having an Almighty attack works better. Speaking of which, GET DRAIN ASAP. In other SMT games, Drain isn't that useful of a spell, but here, with the right members, you can drain the entire enemy party of their MP and spent none whatsoever yourself in the end.

As far as ending's go, you can try Noya's (or whatever the cousin's name is) path first, since the beginning chick leads to a bad end and bad NG+ (won't spoil anything, but as far as rewards go, her's sucks since she doesn't do much, while every other path gives you +1 to move). While it doesn't really matter what path you go down, Noya is a damn good spellcaster and can REALLY make up for what you lose on his path. Seriously, he's more potent than the MC (mostly), it just sucks that certain spells require other stats to be high as well.

*headdesk* How the hell did I forget Drain? Ah well, it seems my playstyle's a little different to yours. I actually took Yuzu's route first to remove the EXP cap when trying the other stories. Mostly because of the final bosses.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 05:59:59 PM
Speaking of Devil Survivor, I'm still stuck with Belial and I don't think I'll ever be able to get past him -___-

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 06:35:47 PM
Speaking of Devil Survivor, I'm still stuck with Belial and I don't think I'll ever be able to get past him -___-

What kinds of demons are you using?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 09:22:36 PM

If you have Ice Dance, you can hit him hard. Other than that, you'll just have to bum rush him with a ton of different people. Put a Wilder on the person who's stuck on the other side so they can get to the main party to help assault the guy. Having Evil/Chaos wave here does help out a lot since you can have that person snipe Belial while everyone else pummels him.

*headdesk* How the hell did I forget Drain? Ah well, it seems my playstyle's a little different to yours. I actually took Yuzu's route first to remove the EXP cap when trying the other stories. Mostly because of the final bosses.

The problem with Yuzu's route is that you don't get the extra move, and it's extremely helpful since you're able to cross more space in less time, which helps ease the missions in which you have to save someone.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 11:29:24 PM
Well, I said it because SJ was supposed to be SMT4 proper if I remember that quote correctly :P

Nah. As a friend of mine put it, it may be even more proper to say it's "SMT3 proper", since it basically does more to be what SMT3 could have been, if it was made on the SNES/PSX generation. 8D

Offline slystrife

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 10:44:13 PM

Make it happen, already, Atlus. My PS3 hungers for that mysterious listing that got onto Amazon.jp a month ago! 8D

I have a feeling you and I will get to be very good friends... :P

With that being said, I never delved in to the new generation SMT games as much. Tried Persona 3 and dropped it like a rock as I'm admittedly not a fan of that style of gameplay, and the new tone really put me off. (Yeah, I'm one of those fans... go ahead and sue me)

Strange Journey is looking to be a nice breath of fresh air for me as I've been latching on to the snes games and the first two Persona games for so long.