What PISSES YOU OFF mid-game?

Bueno Excelente · 13654

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: July 04, 2010, 02:11:52 AM
Aw-right, people. Dis be a rage topic. READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING PLEASE.

INFURIATING gameplay-based moments of the games you played but then RAGED at a detail which made your life more annoying that one day. Can be a staple of many games, can be a staple of one single game, but I'd prefer it if it was one of those moments which people have normally experienced, common moments to games overall. Include screenshots if you want. Try to post stuff people know, but not cliché crap. Everyone knows the Water Temple. Everyone knows the Battletoads sequence. Make it so you show people ACTUAL gameplay flaws, not pure challenges but crap that just should NOT be there by gaming standards.

Alright, let's begin.
-----------------------

Games that have enemies giving you constant damage at a higher speed than the speed you get up after being knocked down. We've all experienced this. Main character takes a hit, main character falls down. Nothing wrong with that. But RIGHT as soon as the main character gets up again, he falls down AGAIN without giving you a single chance to escape from the damage you've just been dealt, because the enemy is shooting, punching or whatevering you really quick. And you have no choice but to watch your character constantly get hit by the enemy and slowly watch its health being drained without having a chance to escape, UNTIL a moment presents itself in which your button imput is relevant again and you walk away with a minuscule amount of health because of pure stupid game design.

Give feedback and leave your own, people!

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:17:38 AM
Lookie here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRIcUFq4-tw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1GqaOiw6wI[/youtube]

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:25:20 AM
Lookie here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRIcUFq4-tw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1GqaOiw6wI[/youtube]
Explain what you're annoyed by instead of just posting some damn videos, will you?

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:36:50 AM
Those should actually deter me but now I'm strangely even more compelled to get that Frontier pack, thanks acey x3

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:44:06 AM
Mario Kart Wii, 150cc (Grand Prix and VS), the fact that there are too many item boxes and the frequency of powerful items in 150cc. Also, When you're in first place and you get hit, at least half of your opponents will pass you. No further explanation is necessary.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 02:47:49 AM
Here's something that pisses me off, and it's just for fighting games in general. When you and and the computer trigger your signature moves at the same time, or you do first, and, instead of yours hitting or the attacks canceling each other out, the computer's attack always hits. I would show what I'm talking about, but I don't have the necessary tech to get an example recorded and put up.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 02:53:29 AM
Games that manage to still have sections with forced camera angles that suck. How are we supposed to make a proper jump if we can't even judge the jump well in the first place?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:17:55 AM
Games that manage to still have sections with forced camera angles that suck. How are we supposed to make a proper jump if we can't even judge the jump well in the first place?
Certain camera-angled games actually make those bits easier. It's what Mario Galaxy nailed really well. The perfect angles to do platforming in.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 03:19:41 AM
Pretty much only multiplayer games in which I'm playing with friends or online with a team of people, ala Halo. Otherwise nothing.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 03:27:23 AM
Here's something that pisses me off, and it's just for fighting games in general. When you and and the computer trigger your signature moves at the same time, or you do first, and, instead of yours hitting or the attacks canceling each other out, the computer's attack always hits. I would show what I'm talking about, but I don't have the necessary tech to get an example recorded and put up.

It happens for a good reason in most games. Never heard of countering?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 03:28:51 AM
No, it happens when you CAN'T counter.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 03:36:50 AM
The point being that the CPU is countering YOU. Not the other way around.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 03:39:19 AM
The point being that the CPU is countering YOU. Not the other way around.
[objection!]
If you launch your attack first on a 2D fighting game, either your attack should hit before theirs can launch or they should cancel out rather than their attack blasting through yours and hitting you.

My thread of Random Crap

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 03:50:14 AM

I tried to counter multipule times, but I always can't find that damn button. >.>

Areas otherwise inaccessable to lesser skilled players, sometimes that can really [acid burst] me off. Like the time I had to USE A SAVE to get past the gates of the Last Cave nearly drove me nuts to no end.

RPGs are known for grinding, but Bioware's games are infamous for their longer grinding times that most RPGs, it's like you have to take trips back in forth in Sonic Chronicles and/or Neverwinter Nights to a town for an enemy to RESPAWN and touch you to enter a battle. Hhhrgh.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 03:54:58 AM
[objection!]
If you launch your attack first on a 2D fighting game, either your attack should hit before theirs can launch or they should cancel out rather than their attack blasting through yours and hitting you.

Not all games are the same way. The attack type also depends on the collision behavior. For instance. You mentioned 'signature' move, which I could imagine you may be referring to supers. Some games treat supers as attacks with invincible frames at their beginning. In this case it would only make sense that the first to initiate it would be the last one in the invincible period, and thus be damaged. Some games have even more tiers for attack effect types and clashes.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 04:26:11 AM
NEW icons that will remain for an eternity in item menus/journal entries.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 04:39:21 AM
Pretty much only multiplayer games in which I'm playing with friends or online with a team of people, ala Halo. Otherwise nothing.
...I missed what actually bothers you in those games.

I tried to counter multipule times, but I always can't find that damn button. >.>

Areas otherwise inaccessable to lesser skilled players, sometimes that can really [acid burst] me off. Like the time I had to USE A SAVE to get past the gates of the Last Cave nearly drove me nuts to no end.

RPGs are known for grinding, but Bioware's games are infamous for their longer grinding times that most RPGs, it's like you have to take trips back in forth in Sonic Chronicles and/or Neverwinter Nights to a town for an enemy to RESPAWN and touch you to enter a battle. Hhhrgh.
Funnily, I've played a ton of RPGs in all of my life, and I consider Bioware's RPGs the least-grindable ones. Play KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age... All of those games, you never need to grind ONCE. Sonic Chronicles was the only RPG they've done JRPG-style, and it was done by a new team, but although it had its fair share of problems, I didn't do any grinding. And Neverwinter Nights was more meant as a D&D PC playset than an actual game in itself, to be honest.

I do hate grinding in RPGs. It's what turns me off from RPGs in the first place. But Bioware's my favorite company, specially because I think they don't make RPGs like that. Hell, I think it's impossible to grind in some of their games.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 04:52:11 AM
I do hate grinding in RPGs. It's what turns me off from RPGs in the first place. But Bioware's my favorite company, specially because I think they don't make RPGs like that. Hell, I think it's impossible to grind in some of their games.

Well, I think I remember spending DAYS to level up Goofy to Sora's level in Kingdom Hearts, and having all my Pokemon in others to match other's levels longer. Also, I forgot NWN was like that. :P

I consider Dragon Age to be EA property.. unless that was another RPG with "Dragon" within the title. But yeah, it kinda felt long, like both Izuna games. some take waay too long to level and you level in SECONDS.

Plus I felt that way because I didn't have Omega in my party earlier in the game, he's sorta the "Massimo" scenario. Cheap, easy to level up, and effective.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 04:59:48 AM
Well, I think I remember spending DAYS to level up Goofy to Sora's level in Kingdom Hearts, and having all my Pokemon in others to match other's levels longer. Also, I forgot NWN was like that. :P

I consider Dragon Age to be EA property.. unless that was another RPG with "Dragon" within the title. But yeah, it kinda felt long, like both Izuna games. some take waay too long to level and you level in SECONDS.

Plus I felt that way because I didn't have Omega in my party earlier in the game, he's sorta the "Massimo" scenario. Cheap, easy to level up, and effective.
Levelling up in Kingdom Hearts is a non-issue unless you want all of the extra stuff, I think. You just have to take your own time exploring the game instead of rushing through the beautiful scenery like an impatient mofo, and you'll be fine in terms of levelling. Heck, in KH2, Donald and Goofy are always one level ahead of you, something which has bothered me quite alot. =P

As for Dragon Age, it is PURE Bioware. The purest. It's the closest thing to Baldur's Gate they put out, and in a way, possibly their best RPG yet.

But yeah, Neverwinter Nights isn't meant to be a single player RPG, but more of a toolset to build D&D campaigns with all your options. Heck, do you know how Bioware hires writers? They have people send them D&D campaigns written in Neverwinter.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 05:05:47 AM
I've always been one level from them for some reason... but then again, Dragon Age was produced by EA. :P

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 04, 2010, 05:12:13 AM
Certain camera-angled games actually make those bits easier. It's what Mario Galaxy nailed really well. The perfect angles to do platforming in.
Well yeah... hence why I specified ones that suck :P (for example Sonic Unleashed)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 05:54:31 AM
I've always been one level from them for some reason... but then again, Dragon Age was produced by EA. :P
It remains a Bioware product, specially since it's been in development for YEARS before the EA buy.

Well yeah... hence why I specified ones that suck :P (for example Sonic Unleashed)
That kinda reminds me of those games that suddenly have that tiny camera icon that says I can't move my camera here or there whenever I push the right analog. And sometimes, it's in tough parts. I never understood why, but those camera angles always suck in certain games. Devil May Cry, for example, has awful angles for platforming. Heck, awful jumping controls while we're at it. It's stupid that only Bayonetta actually evolved that kind of jumping.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 06:40:25 AM
Mario Kart Wii, replaying 150cc enough times to *FINALLY* overcome the constant item nuking and get that damn 60-point perfect score, and STILL not making the one-star Rank for some God-forsaken reason.

At this point I consider it perfectly fair and reasonable to hack infinite Star Mans.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 07:29:38 AM
...I missed what actually bothers you in those games.

Just the usual random things that can happen during multiplayer and such that cost you while playing, or playing objectives in Halo and some idiot can't jump on the elephant to get the flag.  Nothing really specific.  I don't even get that mad over it either.

I mean, it's a [tornado fang]ing video game.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 08:10:51 AM
Hmm... oh I got a good one.

Falling down, only to have your character slowly get up and waste time or [tornado fang] you up if you were trying to get behind a closing door or beat a time limit. Or collect something that blows up. (E.G. X7, Zero needs to stop taking [tornado fang]ing naps and GET UP. I've lost countless Reploids (and Nerves, because I always reset the game, which takes way too long.) because of that.)

A variation of this is getting hit in midair, which locks your movement to whatever the direction of the attack that hit you is. Only to not be able to recover (e.g. ANY 3D Mario.)