Mega Man Unlimited

Yoku Man · 272717

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #625 on: August 05, 2013, 02:34:00 AM
Are you sure?  I seem to recall going through Fairy Leviathan's stage with blocks over every single spike -- including her boss arena.  My rank was the lowest possible, but at the time, I didn't know why.

That's one of the cyber elf abilities. As a penalty for using those, your rank decreased.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #626 on: August 05, 2013, 09:22:16 AM
I was afraid of that.  I certainly do feel the fool now.  I blame the fact I never played the English version and just used those things recklessly.  XD

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #627 on: August 07, 2013, 06:19:19 PM
Despite so many reviews I read complaining on the over-reliance on insta-kill traps, I found myself dying more from enemy damage than pits and spikes (outside of the garbage Rainbow Man stage, anyway).  Even the dreaded Wily 3 stage that has spikes on virtually every screen, I made it through on my first try.  A lot of the platforming isn't actually the challenge, I think, it's more the level of endurance you need to make it through these marathon-lengthed stages.

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #628 on: August 07, 2013, 09:02:50 PM
We've got some updates and some videos:
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 5) - CometWoman][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc6oWeHOUw8[/youtube][/spoiler]
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 6) - TankMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnzEqFoG2Y[/youtube][/spoiler]

v1.1.0 has also been released, complete with the fabled "Easy Mode" and one-hit death mode:
Quote from: v1.1.0 Change Log
  • Added Easy and Insta-Kill modes
  • Misc level modifications based on feedback
  • Added checkpoints before Castle bosses in all difficulty
  • Any button can now skip cutscenes
  • Added possibility to exit from completed stage
  • Fixed gamepads relying on the ‘hat’ for DPad (Xbox360, others)
  • Fixed glitch allowing megaman to zip through walls using certain platforms (Glue, others)
  • Fixed JetMan staying stuck in the ground occasionally
  • Fixed issue when pausing during a sceen transition
  • Allow the player to save after completing the game

EASY – Play an easier version of the game.
– Enemies deal less damage.
– Some enemies are less aggressive.
– Final stages have an extra checkpoint.
– Platforms are placed to help you in more difficult areas.

INSTA-DEATH – Play the game in original difficulty but with special rules.
– Megaman dies instantly.
– You can’t use Energy Tanks.
I do like some of the changes, such as the ability to exit from completed stages, but I can't help but wonder what sort of changes "misc. changes" might be referring to...

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #629 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:39 PM
Still sounds more like a "You suck" difficulty to me. If MM10 is the template for Easy, then Normal should have been tweaked as well.

But again, I'm okay with the difficult parts. I just feel that they could have been paced/placed a little better.

Offline MacDaddyMike

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #630 on: August 08, 2013, 12:06:01 AM
Played a quick couple of minutes on the new release, mainly to see how he "fixed" Rainbow Man's stage.

He didn't.  In fact, on "original" difficulty, changes were pretty much only made to the rooms that had the least of the problems in their design.  All the super-cheap rooms got no change whatsoever, and all the rooms that were the easiest to get through now have their lasers shoot at a much slower pace.  It's beyond stupid.

And then there's easy mode...wtf.  Easy Mode's not even...worth playing...for anyone.  He just put blocks in front of half the lasers and over all of the spikes.  And wait til you see the mini-boss room, ho boy.  As far as I can tell, there are no changes to the bosses, too.  This is less an "Easy Mode" and more of a "Why Bother? Mode".

Mega Man Unlimited - Playthrough, Review and Criticism
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxNyTfF87xMRmb6jqKKTAmOrElKZkv3om

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #631 on: August 08, 2013, 12:19:06 AM
So... insultingly easy mode would be a more appropriate title?

They should've made it a graphical difference where everything becomes real cutesy and enemies explode into flowers or something. Then it would at least be funny.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #632 on: August 08, 2013, 12:22:01 AM
In Ninja Gaiden Sigma, if you play on the easiest mode, Ryu wears a pink ribbon the whole time. Haha.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #633 on: August 08, 2013, 12:24:03 AM
Despite so many reviews I read complaining on the over-reliance on insta-kill traps, I found myself dying more from enemy damage than pits and spikes (outside of the garbage Rainbow Man stage, anyway).  Even the dreaded Wily 3 stage that has spikes on virtually every screen, I made it through on my first try.  A lot of the platforming isn't actually the challenge, I think, it's more the level of endurance you need to make it through these marathon-lengthed stages.
I cant speak for everyone but i doubt theyre complaining about the hazards because of repeated death. I complain because its annoying having to make a precise jump EVERY couple of seconds. I dont mind when they get intense here and there but its nice to be eased into that kind of difficulty. Not starting out that way.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #634 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:27 AM
While the game has some really tight jumps to make normally, the challenge is eliminated by using Rush Jet and/or Comet Dash. Honestly those two things, and the fact you get RJ from the easiest boss, turns the difficulty of the majority of stages on its head.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #635 on: August 08, 2013, 01:33:37 AM
While the game has some really tight jumps to make normally, the challenge is eliminated by using Rush Jet and/or Comet Dash. Honestly those two things, and the fact you get RJ from the easiest boss, turns the difficulty of the majority of stages on its head.
Not if youre me and started with Glueman! 8D

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #636 on: August 08, 2013, 02:23:34 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sure a first blind playthrough of MMU is brutal. But tbh a lot of Mega Man games are like that, and they get easier on subsequent playthroughs when you know boss weaknesses and stuff. Glue Man's stage in particular is made way easier when you know the shortcut with Tank Arsenal. Shorter too.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #637 on: August 08, 2013, 02:46:23 AM
In Ninja Gaiden Sigma, if you play on the easiest mode, Ryu wears a pink ribbon the whole time. Haha.

That's kind of what I was getting at.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #638 on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:58 PM
Edit: The videos work now.  I don't have any idea why I didn't triple-check my BBCode, but it was all kinds of wrong.

[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 7) - JetMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXPVCyA16M[/youtube][/spoiler]
I think the most interest part of this video is the sketch montage at the end.  And the part where he goes on and on about th Mr. Shin-iri enemy.
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 8) - Yo-YoMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMJaUDA5rU[/youtube][/spoiler]
Unfortunately, this video wasn't nearly as interesting.

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #639 on: August 09, 2013, 10:03:25 PM
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 7) - JetMan][youtube]DEV Let's Play Megaman Unlimited (Part 7) - JetMan[/youtube][/spoiler]
I think the most interest part of this video is the sketch montage at the end.  And the part where he goes on and on about th Mr. Shin-iri enemy.
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 8) - Yo-YoMan][youtube][/youtube][/spoiler]
Unfortunately, this video wasn't nearly as interesting.

I see nothing. :\ Let me fix that for you.

[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 7) - JetMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXPVCyA16M[/youtube][/spoiler]
[spoiler=DEV Let's Play MegaMan Unlimited (Part 8) - Yo-YoMan][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMJaUDA5rU[/youtube][/spoiler]

Fear me.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #640 on: August 15, 2013, 01:00:48 PM
One more video.  And I made sure the link was valid this time.  :P

[spoiler=Megaman Unlimited Design: Showing Concepts Using Animation]Warning: Video contains spoilers for later in the game.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIAAkA0JUfA[/youtube][/spoiler]

Offline thefallenalchemist

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #641 on: August 16, 2013, 05:16:25 PM
So... insultingly easy mode would be a more appropriate title?

They should've made it a graphical difference where everything becomes real cutesy and enemies explode into flowers or something. Then it would at least be funny.

A friend of mine is going to hex edit the game's text to read "Childproof Mode" instead of Easy Mode.

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #642 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:04 AM
So, I found a critical bug in v1.1.0.  Rather, TomBobBlender found it.

• *Critical* On Easy Mode, there's some chance that Megaman will never spawn at the beginning of Wily Stage 3.

Have no idea what caused it, if anything in particular.  But it happened.  He got the "Ready" notice, then the player sprite never appeared.  At all.  But as I said, he was playing on Easy Mode.  And it obviously doesn't happen all the time because other people have beaten it on Easy Mode.  So...

Posted on: 2013-08-20, 02:54:39
New video:
[spoiler=Megaman Unlimited Bugs (Found during development)]Warning: Video contains game spoilers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo8USMc09Dk[/youtube][/spoiler]

Offline DiveMissle

• Net Navi
  • I am doing a nuzlocke!
    • View Profile
Reply #643 on: August 29, 2013, 07:11:40 AM
I once saw a forum about the best Mega Man fan games on megaphilx's forums. About every single person thought Mega Man Unlimited was the best Mega Man fan game ever. Every other fan game was already incredibly popular already.

I lost to Guts Man and only cried for 5 hours.

I guess you could call me MANLY!!!

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #644 on: October 05, 2013, 09:19:30 PM
After weeks of no updates, MegaPhilX finally posted something new.  And it's a work-in-progress.[spoiler=Whirlpool Man Stage Preview - Megaman Unlimited][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmnliXdEooE[/youtube][/spoiler]
Apparently, he intends to add this to a future update.  As a bonus stage.   ::)  As I pointed out to him just now, however, stages like this which are designed as regular stages often don't feel like "bonus content", so it would probably be better to just replace one of the existing stages with this one.  Unfortunately, there's no real clear choice as to which stage would be best replaced.  The choice becomes even harder when you take into consideration the boss weapons... (Though going by boss weapons alone, Jetman would have to go.)

Of course, the alternate solution would be to either release this as a stand-alone stage, or put it in an all new game.  But is the fandom really willing to wait another 15 years for another moderately decent game?  :P

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #645 on: October 05, 2013, 09:55:07 PM
The color limit violations are getting more and more blatant. :/

Offline spd12

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #646 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:52 AM
Regardless of any logistics about its inclusion anywhere, if nothing else, Unlimited really goes out of its way to milk each and every stage gimmick it has for what it's worth (and for what it isn't worth, sometimes). I'm impressed by at least one use of the whirlpools with the blade fish things, at least, so despite my largely lukewarm reception to the game I'm kind of curious to see if Phil's level design approach has been adjusted any since MMU's initial reception.

Offline MagVanisher

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #647 on: October 06, 2013, 04:27:29 PM
After weeks of no updates, MegaPhilX finally posted something new.  And it's a work-in-progress.[spoiler=Whirlpool Man Stage Preview - Megaman Unlimited][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmnliXdEooE[/youtube][/spoiler]
Apparently, he intends to add this to a future update.  As a bonus stage.   ::)  As I pointed out to him just now, however, stages like this which are designed as regular stages often don't feel like "bonus content", so it would probably be better to just replace one of the existing stages with this one.  Unfortunately, there's no real clear choice as to which stage would be best replaced.  The choice becomes even harder when you take into consideration the boss weapons... (Though going by boss weapons alone, Jetman would have to go.)

Of course, the alternate solution would be to either release this as a stand-alone stage, or put it in an all new game.  But is the fandom really willing to wait another 15 years for another moderately decent game?  :P

Instead of replacing a boss, how about adding a set of 4 bosses after the first 8 (if he wants to emulate Megaman/Rockman 3 further). That way, Whirlpool Man (and other 3 robots) will be included.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #648 on: October 08, 2013, 03:57:14 AM
He could do it ala GameBoy style, where the MegaMan Killers have their own level after you beat the original 4 or 8 robot masters. But really I think it's Phil's decision to do with him whatever he wants. Just the polls and whatever he posts to his facebook stats sort of help with it. Hell, I'd be surprised if he added my avator as a secret miniboss type enemy you couldn't find normally in his Whirlpool Man stage. Though it's not likely going to happen. Just wishful thinking I guess.

Offline Splash

• B-Class Hunter
  • Something here?
    • View Profile
Reply #649 on: January 31, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abt5tLPfVR4&list=UUcCv-uoQLp-AvxBKhxz-8jQ&feature=c4-overview[/youtube]
EDIT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikuUVWDiR8Y&list=UUcCv-uoQLp-AvxBKhxz-8jQ&feature=c4-overview
Without death

http://quickmaster-exe.deviantart.com/
I like to draw... NOT!
Seriously.