Blues, and any other Virtual ON fans? You may want to take a look inside...

HokutoNoBen · 6547

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
http://img130.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=43114_viploader925685_122_870lo.jpg#

- http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/

Say hello to Border Break. Sega's new Arcade Mecha action game, with 10 v 10 play, and made by those gods among men at AM2.

Even the controls are overtly similar to Virtual ON's, as any body who remembers the twin stick configuration is sure to flash back like I did.  8D

Any way...can't wait for this. PLEASE, Sega, for the love of all that's good, do NOT let this be an Arcade exclusive. You've got too much of your goodness stuck there for your own good, and this definitely should not be one of them...!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
SEGA AM2 is truly a divine bunch of developers. They're like the EAD Tokyo of the blue side. Honestly though, this game looks like something I have to look into. I second the notion of getting it to the consoles and eventually the US soon.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Yes, I've had my eye on this one since I've heard about it.  Thanx for the info though.  It may not be a new Virtual On, but it's looking to be an awesome game and possible successor though.!  XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
ABSO-[tornado fang]ing-LUTELY WANT!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Thirding everything. Game looks interesting as [tornado fang]. :O

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
A nice write-up, courtesy of fellow gaffer, Oichi:

Quote from: Oichi
Summary
Border Break is a new Sega arcade game, being developed by the legendary AM2, and while it may seem like a successor to the Virtual On series, it's going to be a very, very different game. Rather than 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 battles like many mech games had in the past, Border Break is a 10 on 10 action game, utilizing a dual joystick setup and a deluxe cabinet. Blast Runners (the mechs in the game) are fully customizable and come in four types.

Game Breakdown
The game utilizes a cabinet similar to that of MJ and AnswerXAnswer, two arcade games also by Sega. They're desktop-style cabinets, although I'm not too sure why they bothered with this design for a game like this. Two joysticks are used in this game, but if you're expecting a Virtual On successor, look elsewhere. The basic controls for the game are that the left stick handles all of the movement in the game. Jumping and dashing are regulated by the Boost Gauge, so if you do either of these actions, your Boost Gauge will deplete. Your Vitality Gauge seems to recover over time as well, an interesting choice of design. The right stick handles all of your attack-related actions. You'll be aiming at enemies with the right stick plus shooting with it, as well as repairing yourself or teammates.

The game, like in the OP, uses the All.net service, to you have IC cards you can purchase when the game comes out. You can customize your name, keep records of your fights and customize your pilot and ship. Of course, you can also play without the card, so if you don't want to make the (I'm guessing) 500 yen investment, don't worry about it. You can purchase GP, or Game Points. When you purchase GP, you can customize your vehicle. You can do everything from changing the model of your ship to the color and I assume much more.

There are three modes in the arcade version: National Play, Single Player Practice and Customize Mode.

As for the game itself, the objective of each match is to locate and destroy the core that's located in the enemy base. There is a time limit to destroy the core, and if neither team can do it within the time limit, then the Core Gauge (energy gauge, yadda yadda) gets reduced significantly. On the screen, you and your teammates show up as blue icons, whereas your enemies are indicated in red. If you are taken out of battle, after a set period of time your vehicle becomes mobile again so you can rejoin the battle.

After the match is over, you'll be kicked to the results screen where you will have a chance to customize your vehicle's parts and weapons.

In total, there are four types of vehicles in the game, a regular footsoldier type, a heavy arms type, a support type and a sniper type. Doesn't take a genius to figure out what each type does. :)

While the game will be shown at AOU2009 on Feb 20, shortly thereafter there will be a location test for the game, which will be held from Feb 27 until March 1, at Club Sega Nishi Shinjuku, Akihabara GIGO, and Ikebukero GIGO. If you're in the Tokyo area, check it out!

There are pictures of the game in this week's Famitsu, but since scans are banned, we'll have to wait until AOU for official screenshots of the game to surface.

AOU 2009 Update
According to AndriaSang.com, Border Break will be utilizing Sega's new arcade board, entitled RingEdge/RingWide. These are considered part of the same family of arcade boards, but aimed at different price points.

Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/anoop/2009/02/20/sega_new_arcade_hardware/

RINGEDGE:

CPU
Intel Pentium Processor E2160 running at 1.8GHz
Main Memory
DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400 1GB
GPU
NVIDIA GPU, GDDR3 Memory 384MB, Shader Model 4.0, Output to two screens, max resolution 1920 x 1200
Sound
High definition audio, 192KHz/32bit, 5.1ch output
Storage
SATA SSSD 32GB
OS
Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009
RINGWIDE:

CPU
Intel Celeron Processor 440 at 2GHz
Main Memory
DDR2 SDRAM PC2-5300 1GB
GPU
AMD GPU, GDDR3 Memory 128MB, Shader Model 4.0, Output to two screens, max resolution 1920 x 1200
Sound
High definition audio, 192KHz/32bit, 5.1ch output
Storage
CF 8GB
OS
Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Well, as [tornado fang]ing awesome as the game does indeed sound...

...it's clearly not a Virtual On successor  :'(

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
At this point, I can deal with that.

It may or may not have Katoki as the mecha designer, and it may not have the same feel as VO proper, but dammit, it's looking to be both something new AND something awesome. I can't find any fault with that.

And hell, at this point, maybe it's better to "start fresh", and let AM2 do the damn, sexcellent thang, rather than risk having Virtual ON dragged into the kinds of depths that the likes of Sonic and Golden Axe have been allowed to sink to...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Oh, I agree.  There's nothing wrong with New & Awesome at all.

Oh but Ben, if only you could understand.  LoL, I was in Japan and I played the bestest best arcade version of VO:OT.  It was [tornado fang]ing heaven.  How I long to play that game again, or at least get a proper sequel.  Sega tickling the VO license recently isn't helping either! 

Alas though, that's nothing against this game though.  I was excited when I first heard about it, and even though it's not VO, it still looks damn good, damn interesting, and damn sexy.  Who knows, it could even be better than VO.  Heh, of course, until either I go back to Japan and play this in the arcades over there, it gets released on a console, or heaven forbid we get this arcade game here, it's going to be a while before we find out.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Virtual ON? Oh how I loved playing the arcade version at Dream Machine! Always made sure to play at least one game when I go there!

Though this game looks great! I wouldn't mind seeing a true Virtual ON sequel.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Oh, I agree.  There's nothing wrong with New & Awesome at all.

Oh but Ben, if only you could understand.  LoL, I was in Japan and I played the bestest best arcade version of VO:OT.  It was [tornado fang]ing heaven.  How I long to play that game again, or at least get a proper sequel.  Sega tickling the VO license recently isn't helping either! 

Oh, I DO understand. In fact, I think you may have told the story of you playing VO:OT in this way, before.

But who knows? Maybe with the fact that VO is getting ANOTHER appearance in a SRW title, that only does more to prove that both Sega and fans still acknowledge and care about this series. And with two different and notably cheaper arcade boards to use, maybe the time will come when AM3, too, will join their AM2 brethren in making more arcade goodness.

In any case though, more scans!

Ok...it was "bad" enough that one of them looked like a GM. Now we got another that looks like some sort of Zeon-style MS, complete with a monoeyes!  8D

Any way...DROOL DROOL!

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Those shots of the Joysticks really do look awesome.  Man, I have to get back to Japan when this comes out in order to play this!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Go back?! What about those of us who have yet to go?!  >_< 8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Go back?! What about those of us who have yet to go?!  >_< 8D

Ummmmm...then I'm sorry you missed out on the Bandai Museum...   8D

I highly recommend it though!  It's fun!  XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
....  :|

ANY WAY!

Official movies x 2

1:11 BORDER BREAK「プレイデモ」篇
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sb_qlP8Gs&fmt=18

1:36 BORDER BREAK「アドバタイズムービー」篇
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1tuZs55Ko&fmt=18

Oh...this is looking so very, VERY Sexcellent.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
....  :|

ANY WAY!

Hehe, couldn't resist.  Sorry!

Official movies x 2

1:11 BORDER BREAK「プレイデモ」篇
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7sb_qlP8Gs&fmt=18

1:36 BORDER BREAK「アドバタイズムービー」篇
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1tuZs55Ko&fmt=18

Oh...this is looking so very, VERY Sexcellent.

Holy Damn!  First of all, the gameplay, while not as fast as VO, still looks very stellar and sexcellent!  The different units will probably make for some bad-ass 10X10 battles.

Second, I really like that song in the 2nd video.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
MOAR!  :D

2 videos taken from AOU 2009

26V 090220 AOU09 Border Break 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3d_MUzxBok&fmt=18

26W 090220 AOU09 Border Break 2 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyvBn62ytPY&fmt=18

1 more
26X 090220 AOU09 Border Break
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pZ6tSbkKWc&fmt=18

I'm starting to agree with some GAF opinion that this may be something akin to some where between VO and Outtrigger (kudos to those who remember that, too!).

In any case, keep it coming...and again, I can only hope that this will show up on home consoles, sooner or later...

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Haha, touch screen Arcade Game?  Yeah, NO chance we'd ever get this here in our pitiful arcades.  Not even Chi-Town will get this. 

Still though, the game is looking more bad-ass with each vid & post.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
...Touch screen? I don't remember saying anything about that...you sure you saw what you saw?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
...Touch screen? I don't remember saying anything about that...you sure you saw what you saw?

Around 2:00 in the first vid.  It certainly looks like a touch screen.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Yeah, you're right...

Interesting...hopefully, they can just substitute other things if/when it gets a console port....  :\

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Haha, by the time we get this, the Wii will have announced their Wii Tablet, a touch screen pad for playing games, which they developed for their next big game, Wii Draw!   8D