Moon Diver

The Drunken Dishwasher · 1907

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: March 12, 2011, 03:49:02 AM
From the creator of Strider, comes a multiplayer game that has its similarities to Strider

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_3OazMtu0[/youtube]

It'll be coming out to PSN at March 29/11, there is no date yet for XBLA and PAL territories so far.

Here's also a two part interview from the main dude himself

Part 1

Part 2

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:48:57 AM
Ah, I remember hearing about this at some point. It certainly shaped up nicely from the looks of it, although I kind of hope the environments are a bit more varied than what we see in the trailer. Gameplay seems solid though.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:31:29 PM
Seems awesome. I'm not much in favor of the character design, though.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:59 PM
The Gameplay art and style do remind me of Strider 2, so my interest for this game has piqued.

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:02:16 PM
I know I'm Necroposting but I'm glad I've found a Moon Diver thread here.

Alright so I'm one of those who bought the game and I'm really addicted to it  :V I play it often so I'm up for a few games with anyone, as long as the player is better than those random shitty casual I meet online. I usually play on Insane difficulty level with a level 56 Seyfert.

If anyone's interested in playing with me just PM or reply.

Sorry again for the Necropost?  >^<

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:26 PM
No, no problem.

I played the game in 4 player not too long after it came out. And it was a nightmare. Anyone who fell behind was going to get dragged into a pit, and despite the zoom out, it still felt very cramped. We only got to stage 5 I believe. But every stage looked exactly the same. My friends who own the game say the environment does change later on, but the cannon fodder enemy types don't.

This is a 12 stage game. And they take several minutes to complete each. For what's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Strider, that's a [tornado fang]ing long game. And I've been told it's long for the wrong reasons. The game has a serious pacing issue, most notably the parts where you're locked to an area and are forced to kill a swarm of bees or something.

And to crouch you have to press a shoulder button. For a platformer, that's the dumbest controller mapping I've ever seen. It's about as dumb as forcing you to use an analog stick to move instead of a d pad, which this game also does.

At first I was pretty excited about this. "4 player Strider!? Oh this is going to be sweet." Until I actually played it. So I'm going to save my $15 and skip this game. My friends don't blame me. Now I'm going to go back and play a real Strider game: Hard Corps Uprising.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline ParasiteBirth

• Useless Dweeb
  • A-Class Hunter
  • Some random dweeb
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:42:09 PM
Awwwright let's reply to this well elaborated opinion

No, no problem.

I played the game in 4 player not too long after it came out. And it was a nightmare. Anyone who fell behind was going to get dragged into a pit, and despite the zoom out, it still felt very cramped. We only got to stage 5 I believe. But every stage looked exactly the same. My friends who own the game say the environment does change later on, but the cannon fodder enemy types don't.

It's not much of a nightmare...I mean I often play 4 players and once you get used to it, you know where your character is and stuff. And I believe that it's better to get dragged around when you fall than dying and need someone to resurrect you over and over again. As for the enviroment, it starts being different from stage 4. Tho many of the enemies stays the same.

This is a 12 stage game. And they take several minutes to complete each. For what's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Strider, that's a [tornado fang]ing long game.

I agree, the game is indeed long, so are the stages. Stage 12 is ridiculously long, but please remember that some people might find it satisfying

And I've been told it's long for the wrong reasons. The game has a serious pacing issue, most notably the parts where you're locked to an area and are forced to kill a swarm of bees or something.

lol farming

And to crouch you have to press a shoulder button. For a platformer, that's the dumbest controller mapping I've ever seen.

Yes because if you're ontop of a platform and press down, you go under it, it wouldn't work well if the down button would make you crouch because that would mean you'd have to crouch and THEN press down again to move under the platform. It's better that way because when you crouch or want to dodge an attack by moving under a platform, you wanna do it quick, so having those two as seperate commands was a good thing IMO

It's about as dumb as forcing you to use an analog stick to move instead of a d pad, which this game also does.

I was indeed sad when I discovered I could not play with my arcade stick, but remember that the D Pad serves to switch your magical skills during gameplay, so the D pad isn't left unused.

At first I was pretty excited about this. "4 player Strider!? Oh this is going to be sweet." Until I actually played it. So I'm going to save my $15 and skip this game. My friends don't blame me. Now I'm going to go back and play a real Strider game: Hard Corps Uprising.

The best I can say here is that I wish you lotta fun with Hard Corps.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:27:17 AM by Vexan »

Check my YouTube Channel for Challenges, Speed Run videos and more!